The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun | The Boneyard

The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
When Napier ends up in the lane defensively, sees his guy on the wing, runs at him half-speed...and doesn't put his hand up.

I mean, you're out there, you can't even be bothered to raise your arm in the air? Really? That would be asking too much?

Speaking of bad positioning, note to Alex: the reason you have wide-open turnaround looks 18 feet from the basket is that you are 18 feet from the basket.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
You're calling Napier the worst point guard Calhoun has ever had at UConn?

Just trying to clarify that.

zls44

Reaction Score
You're calling Napier the worst point guard Calhoun has ever had at UConn?

Just trying to clarify that.

Worst starter

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That doesn't make it better nor does it buy you any wiggle room.

This is the kind of dickish post that makes this place a pure duck*ing rubber room of stupid. Before you, some jerkoff made the same post about Kevin Ollie or Ricky Moore or Taliek Brown and, yes, Kemba.

A good chunk of the people here are garden-variety idiots - they'll never know any better. You should, but you don't and that's scary.

Napier is a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and he's playing with a bunch of other kids who really, really don't know what they're doing - and just to add to the level of difficulty, the head coach has yoyo'd in and out of his job over the past month.

But he's the worst starter Calhoun has ever had. Okie dokie - thanks for the insight.

zls44

Reaction Score
That doesn't make it better nor does it buy you any wiggle room.

This is the kind of dickish post that makes this place a pure duck*ing rubber room of stupid. Before you, some jerkoff made the same post about Kevin Ollie or Ricky Moore or Taliek Brown and, yes, Kemba.

A good chunk of the people here are garden-variety idiots - they'll never know any better. You should, but you don't and that's scary.

Napier is a kid who doesn't know what he's doing and he's playing with a bunch of other kids who really, really don't know what they're doing - and just to add to the level of difficulty, the head coach has yoyo'd in and out of his job over the past month.

But he's the worst starter Calhoun has ever had. Okie dokie - thanks for the insight.

Never, while watching Ollie, or Moore, or Brown, or Walker did you think they weren't trying their best to make the team better. That they cared about putting their teammates in positions to succeed, to help the team win above everything else. Taliek and Kemba struggled on offense, but it wasn't for lack of effort. It wasn't being selfish and just launching indiscriminately.

Napier takes bad contested shots and uncontested shots 5 seconds into the shot clock. He dives into the lane without any idea what he is doing and flings his arms up praying for a call. He waves his arms around in the air aimlessly while dribbling in place 40 feet from the rim and then screams at his teammates because they cannot read his mind to run whatever excuse for offensive plays The Cryptkeeper has devised for them. He completely ignores any big who flashes to the foul line, ever.

Shabazz Napier cares about Shabazz Napier right now. Period. The minute he starts caring about anyone else is the minute this team has a prayer of doing something.

Reaction Score
"Shabazz Napier cares about Shabazz Napier right now. Period. The minute he starts caring about anyone else is the minute this team has a prayer of doing something"

Truth.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
When Napier ends up in the lane defensively, sees his guy on the wing, runs at him half-speed...and doesn't put his hand up.

I mean, you're out there, you can't even be bothered to raise your arm in the air? Really? That would be asking too much?

Speaking of bad positioning, note to Alex: the reason you have wide-open turnaround looks 18 feet from the basket is that you are 18 feet from the basket.

Remember when you posted "THIS IS THE WORST TEAM EVARRRRR!!!!!!!!1111", then I responded that you are a caricature of yourself, and you replied that I can't spot sarcasm and I have problems?

Just checking.

Reaction Score
I totally agree about Napier's close out on three pointers. Over and over I wonder why he doesn't raise his arms. Anyone watching tape must know he won't try to affect the shot.

Reaction Score

What makes me laugh at all of these "Napier" posts is the fact you all need to pick out someone and not the whole. To pick out ONE person for their defensive effort on this team, especially after that debacle last night, is a joke. I won't even go into how bad the defense on the interior is which throws everyone else in a tizzy because it's obviously not worth it. You and huskymagic can get together and make a "BAZZ BLOWS" banner for the next home game and allow all these other guys wandering around aimlessly look like hero's.......amazing!!!

SJ

Reaction Score
I seem to remember a time when they made a turnover and Shabazz was the only one who hustled back to defend. Even the announcers called it. I don't think that is lazy D!

Reaction Score
Name a PG that didn't struggle in his first year at the helm. Sure, there were a few, such as Khalid, but most others, including Kemba, suffered growing pains.
This team has lots of problems right now that aren't named Shabazz.

H

huskymagic

Zls44 am I starting to rub off on you lol? Now we know I dont have big expectations for Napier but seriously like I said last night's loss was not the fault of Napier or his play. Louisville matches up well with us and we can never seem to play them good at their place. The entire team with the exception of Boatright, Scoe, and Alex was just bad and they lacked any passion, effort, and grit. If our star players like Lamb and Drummond dont play well and dont fight we shouldn't have unreasonable expectations for Napier to play great and somehow will us to victories. Thats not Napiers game he is a guy who is good playing off the bench where he doesn't have to carry a team or try to lead a team because he's not that player. He can be useful for us off the bench for 10-15 minutes a game if the right changes are made to lineup by Blaney.

zls44

Reaction Score
Remember when you posted "THIS IS THE WORST TEAM EVARRRRR!!!!!!!!1111", then I responded that you are a caricature of yourself, and you replied that I can't spot sarcasm and I have problems?

You still can't and you still do.

The team is not the problem. I truly believe every problem fundamentally goes back to Napier. The bigs lack confidence because he does nothing to get them involved whatsoever.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't even that Napier runs out to contest half speed, its that he even has to run out to contest. Yesterday he helped off of Kuric and Smith several times to do what, try to block a shot? They had so many wide open corner threes because of plays like this (Napier was not the only guy at fault here but many times it was him)

H

huskymagic

You still can't and you still do.

The team is not the problem. I truly believe every problem fundamentally goes back to Napier. The bigs lack confidence because he does nothing to get them involved whatsoever.

lol 2 biggest mistakes of the year were the benching of Scoe in favor of an abysmal Deandre Daniels and the elevation of Napier as leader an point guard of this team. Blaney is continuing this folly game after game. The real problem is not Napier but the coaches who continually start him and or give him starter minutes when clearly the team plays better with him on the bench. There is no reason to be this loyal and trusting of a player who is a liability for us. This message needs to be constantly talked about and repeated by us fans of the team until Blaney and all of the coaches get it in their heads what needs to be done. The time to talk and make changes is now not when the NIT starts (mauconnfann).

Reaction Score
Name a PG that didn't struggle in his first year at the helm. Sure, there were a few, such as Khalid, but most others, including Kemba, suffered growing pains.
This team has lots of problems right now that aren't named Shabazz.

They suffered growing pains, but by this point in their second year, Kemba, AJ, MW were all the undisputed leader and were providing positive value for their teams.

Maybe we've just been spoiled with excellent point guards over the last 10 years, but Shabazz is clearly not prepared to take that mantle.

Reaction Score
The problem isn't even that Napier runs out to contest half speed, its that he even has to run out to contest. Yesterday he helped off of Kuric and Smith several times to do what, try to block a shot? They had so many wide open corner threes because of plays like this (Napier was not the only guy at fault here but many times it was him)

Sad, but very true. It's a defensive scheme problem inherent in our help defense.

But the root of our defensive problems, IMO, lies with our bigs playing too soft.

They get pushed out of position too easily.

Also they have little court awareness. (How many rebounds did they have taken away from them by a guard?)

Oh, is Bradley still injured?

Peace,

John Fryer

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but there was this guy, I think his name is Taliek Brown..... yea, pretty much everyone said he was awful and the worst too...

how'd that work out?

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
They suffered growing pains, but by this point in their second year, Kemba, AJ, MW were all the undisputed leader and were providing positive value for their teams.

Maybe we've just been spoiled with excellent point guards over the last 10 years, but Shabazz is clearly not prepared to take that mantle.

Absolutely untrue. Kemba was abysmal for much of his sophomore year and was not the undisputed leader. It wasn't until he was the upperclassman on a team with nearly all freshman that he took on the leadership role and blossomed into the player he finished as. People on here were clamoring for one of Brandon Knight or Josh Selby to come here because he was such an unknown commodity going into last year.

Reaction Score
You're absolutely right, "for much of his sophomore year". But by February he seized control of that team and was more or less the only player who played worth a d*mn down the stretch. I suppose Shabazz still has time this year, but I'm doubtful he'll show the progress Kemba did.

Reaction Score
This thread is eccentric and inane. So I'll add my bit.

If you want to make the argument that SN is the worst PG in the JC era, I'd think you'd have to answer this question first - was JD ever "officially" the PG?

Kidding, of course.

6th youngest? Wow. Tells a tale.

Can't blame Shabazz. Sorry. Kid is getting virtually no help. It's easy to pin it on him, as he's the guy with the ball for 1/3 of each set, but it's myopic, as there are 4 other guys out there who aren't getting it done.

Reaction Score
^ listen, Napier has been stinkin' up the joint. He hasn't really shown flashes . There aren't flashes. I think its because he is playing at like 70%. He is slow and not nearly attentive on defense. And on offense the only thing he could do is hoist shots because getting by his man is a rarity. This is a team meltdown, but don't sit over here comparing even a sophomore kemba to what Shabazz has been playing like.

Reaction Score
I, like just about every UConn fan, am disapointed & frustrated. But, usually, when this happens (rarely under JC) I try to wait a few days before I comment.
I believe most in this thread, should have done the same. When we're frustrated we speak with our hearts, and not our brains....

Reaction Score
I'm not going to argue that Bazz is playing well, because he isn't, but if he's ignoring our bigs flashing to the foul line, that's a good thing. I don't want our bigs with the ball 15 feet from the basket. We don't have skilled bigs (other than Tyler on some days). The reason bigs might look open 15 feet from the basket, is because the defense wants them to have the ball there, because they know it's a great chance for a turnover - or a missed shot with one less big underneath for offensive rebounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom