The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun | Page 3 | The Boneyard

The Worst Trait Belonging To UConn's Worst Point Guard Under Calhoun

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I actually wonder how this team would be with Coombs. We have gotten no offensive production from the 3.

Reaction Score
Coombs was a bigger loss than you realize. Bro could help bust a zone better than anyone on this year's team.

Reaction Score
Jamal Coombs-McDaniel pretty much had wide open threes all season and hit 27 percent - he thought he was a much better player than he was. He did give us an excellent timeout, so he'll always have that for his UConn legacy. But I'd rather have Giffey getting those minutes now - he's a better player.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Not quite. It means anything beyond that was exceeding expectations. Any team or fans who sets anything beyond a final four as expectations is in for a rough season and final four expectations should only be expected of teams that are great.

That 1999 team was great, it was an elite eight team the year before who had lost 5 games the year before and returned everyone who played any sort of major minutes in 1998. A final four was the expectation, the hope was a NC. It met expectations by beating Gonzaga in the elite eight. Beating OSU in the semi and Duke in the final was icing on the cake.

Fans and programs shouldn't expect Final Fours or National Championships every year, that is beyond unreasonable.

Hope/want a NC every year but don't expect one, that's just silly. Think about it, UK has all 7 NC's in about 65 years, that's roughly one every 9 years or so. UCLA has 10 but hasn't won one in 17 years. Indiana has all 5 but hasn't won one in 25 years. Kansas has 5 in 90 years. Duke has all 4 in 20 years or one every 5. UNC has all 6 since 1924 (or all 5 since 1957). UConn has 3 in 15 years. No team will ever be UCLA of the 1960's-1970's.

That said, this team is not playing as well as it could. The Shabbier stuff is uncalled for and just plain dickish.

It is just silly and incredibly immature. To claim to be a fan and call our players names is pathetic. I would suggest trying to save The Boneyard by some surgery. I'm amazed to say that Fishy is much more tolerant than I would be at this point in time.

Reaction Score
Since this is a public message board on the world wide internet thing I am entitled to complain about Shabbier and you are entitled to respond unintelligibly. Other than that I have no sense of entitlement. I hope nothing more that Shabazz turns it around but right now I have my doubts.

My namesake comes from a year when we were nowhere near where we are today and when expectations were far less.

If you want to criticize Napier's perfromance, go ahead. IMO, that's fair. Anyone who plays big time sports, even college kids, can expect to have their play criticized by fans. However, the childish name calling makes you look like an immature ass. Take the high road next time.

Reaction Score
They suffered growing pains, but by this point in their second year, Kemba, AJ, MW were all the undisputed leader and were providing positive value for their teams.

Maybe we've just been spoiled with excellent point guards over the last 10 years, but Shabazz is clearly not prepared to take that mantle.

I could be wrong, but the three PG's you listed all had a full year at the helm by the time they were sophomores. Also, while "leadership" is measured subjectively, usually either the captain (Alex) or the team's best player (Jeremy) is looked to for leadership. Neither of them are doing their job as well as expected, and neither have taken a leadership role. Although in fairness, Alex did step up recently.

Shabazz has not been great, but I think it's unfair to expect him to be the leader of this team. It's also wrong to question his desire or his effort. Being the PG means you steer the ship, not command it. Finally, it's obvious that Boat is more talented than Shabazz, but he hasn't officially been give the title of leader yet. Once that happens, it may help Shabazz, who can once again play a supporting role. Right now, we're a team that wants for leadership on the floor, but also from the bench.

caw

Reaction Score
I could be wrong, but the three PG's you listed all had a full year at the helm by the time they were sophomores. Also, while "leadership" is measured subjectively, usually either the captain (Alex) or the team's best player (Jeremy) is looked to for leadership. Neither of them are doing their job as well as expected, and neither have taken a leadership role. Although in fairness, Alex did step up recently.

Shabazz has not been great, but I think it's unfair to expect him to be the leader of this team. It's also wrong to question his desire or his effort. Being the PG means you steer the ship, not command it. Finally, it's obvious that Boat is more talented than Shabazz, but he hasn't officially been give the title of leader yet. Once that happens, it may help Shabazz, who can once again play a supporting role. Right now, we're a team that wants for leadership on the floor, but also from the bench.

None of them did. Marcus missed the second semester his freshman year and had Taliek there his first semester. Kemba had AJ ahead of him. AJ had Marcus (though AJ didn't play until Marcus was gone due to health/laptops).

That said, Napier's first year as a full time PG was on par statistically with anyone at UConn since 1996-1997 (I couldn't find Ollie or Sheffer's stats, or I would go back further) but maybe El Amin.

Reaction Score
yes I am speaking for myself but everyone from the school, to the coaches, to the players to the fans all expect UCONN to compete for national championships each and every year especially coming off a title with almost everyone back and adding Drummond.You think John Wooden and UCLA were satisfied when they won 8 championships in a row.[/quot

I knew you were a dope magic man but to compare any program to UCLA in the 60-70's makes me realize you're an idiot. Ever hear of parity pal? YOu are an out of control fan who actually think he knows something...........you don't.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Sixth youngest team in the country.

and they're getting pushed around when they play older / more physical teams

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
Sad, but very true. It's a defensive scheme problem inherent in our help defense.

But the root of our defensive problems, IMO, lies with our bigs playing too soft.

They get pushed out of position too easily.

Also they have little court awareness. (How many rebounds did they have taken away from them by a guard?)

Oh, is Bradley still injured?

Peace,

John Fryer

Bradley's gone for the year

H

huskymagic

On the original point of the thread: Napier will play better.

I don't often post being a lurker and all, but I'd like to say I agree with Fishy.

I should probably stop here, but I like the sound of me typing, to wit.. every other post in here seems to read, "It's not the UConn I'm a fan of that sucks it's a bunch of importers wearing the same uniform that suck", or "holy **** that guy is a talentless hack". If you want to criticize someone that's fine but say something entertaining or informative because as a fan going to a website filled with like minded fans the negative nancy bull**** in here pisses me off. And I might add it also greatly detracts from the enjoyment I get as lurker(consider carefully the normal mindless drivel written in here to appreciate the gravity of that statement).

Well I guess I should be charging money for all the entertainment I have provided you and the entire Boneyard:D

H

huskymagic

I think my analysis of players and judging of talent speaks for itself:cool:. You are right though I am out of control about winning. Winning isn't everything its the only thing that matters, and as a fan it bothers me to see the same mistakes repeated over and over again without making the proper adjustments.

H

huskymagic

I think my analysis of players and judging of talent speaks for itself:cool:. You are right though I am out of control about winning. Winning isn't everything its the only thing that matters, and as a fan it bothers me to see the same mistakes repeated over and over again without making the proper adjustments.

Reaction Score

Good news is you're the only one listening to yourself magic due, except maybe 32..............keep patting yourself on the back, it is very entertaining!

Reaction Score
Shabazz needs to compare himself to a guy like AJ Price, rather than Kemba. AJ Price is the player all of us hope Shabazz can become by his junior year. Right now he's playing more like Kemba, which he obviously cannot get away with because he's not nearly as talented. AJ Price wasn't the flashiest player, but he did make his teammates better and he was a reliable three point shooter.

Another thing: Earlier in the year, many of us were already calling Shabazz one of the top point guards in the country. He put up double digit assists, recorded a triple double, scored when he wanted to, and led us to victory over a very good Florida State team. His massive regression is what would make me believe he is hiding an injury. I'm not looking for excuses, it's just that it is very abnormal for a kid to go from one of the best point guards in the nation to a complete liability.

Sometimes it takes one good game for everything to click again. We forget how bad Kemba looked at times in the middle of the Big East schedule last year. He would still get his 15 ppg, play great defense, lead the team, etc., but there were a lot of 8 for 24 games mixed in there as well. I recall Kemba having a great game against Providence which got him back on track. If Shabazz goes out and drops 25 this weekend, all his struggles will soon be forgotten.

H

huskymagic

The best thing about this line is that I think you're actually serious.

of course i am serious when everything that is coming to fruition was already predicted by me about startin boat since the beginning, about Napier and Daniels ineptitudes, losing Moe Harkless was a big loss for us, about startin scoe, etc, etc. If my advice was heeded since the beginning we wouldn't be in this mess that we are in now struggling to make the NCAAs. The better question is why you guys just won't accept that I was right and you were wrong and we can move on from it lol:cool:

Unleash the Boat, unleash the Scoe, unleash the Alex

Reaction Score
Classic thread. How are Bazz and Daniels' "ineptitudes" looking now? Bazz had a GREAT junior year and should receive all american consideration as a senior.

Reaction Score
[quote="huskymagic, post: 159705, member: . If my advice was heeded since the beginning we wouldn't be in this mess that we are in now struggling to make the NCAAs.

Unleash the Boat, unleash the Scoe, unleash the Alex[/quote]

Put the glue down... we could be a 3rd seed and last year we could have been a 6 seed.. not struggling. ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom