Tennessee topics (merged threads) | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Tennessee topics (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
For that matter, Doris may have actually HELPED UT recruiting by saying, in effect, "Hey prospects, here is a big name school with an insane fanbase that can give you a TON of PT, and a coach who won't make too many demands on you."

Well, maybe...

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
we all know that I am HIGHLY critical of the coaching at TN, but ESPN's agenda of just pushing SO MUCH negativity and speculation about TN was absurd. Even when TN was playing decent (3 of the 4 quarters) they did nothing but continue the pre-game storyline. Doris Burke is so incapable of calling a TN game without personal bias that I don't expect anything else. She was the same way while Parker was at TN. She has a long history. simply put, TN doesn't like Doris and Doris doesn't like TN. Just the reality.
Speaking of speculation please fill in the blanks for me.
Doris is anti-LadyVols and pro the ___________ program.
Dee Kanter is anti-LadyVols and pro the __________ program.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Dawn not staying in her lane is actually what's "not cool".
This is strictly a Philly thing- when a Philly person starts a sentence by saying "I'm one that stays in my lane"-trust that they are in their lane and quite comfortable in it.

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
This is strictly a Philly thing- when a Philly person starts a sentence by saying "I'm one that stays in my lane"-trust that they are in their lane and quite comfortable in it.
Right - "not cool" and fully disingenuous.

Reaction Score
let me be even more clear-----i agree with a lot of what Doris said. the recruiting thing was not fully explained. TN was only looking for a post and two of the three post targets (holmes, cox) chose to stay in their home state. they didn't choose lots of top programs, including UCONN, ND, etc. anyone following their recruitment knew that getting them out of TX was going to be very difficult for any program. there is NO evidence they didn't choose TN b/c of Holly. just like there is no evidence they didn't want to play for Geno. They wanted to stay in TX. Doris should have used context to explain rather than laying out a premise and half the facts.

the other post target went to OSU where apparently the rest of the universe is flocking to. not even going to speculate about that whole mess.

my main problem is this: why spend TWO hours recycling the same comments over and over? heck, outside of the 3rd quarter, the LVs played right with or at times better than ND. she was so busy plugging the agenda that she didn't even call the game. i do think it's OK to talk about these things on a broadcast but doing it for TWO HOURS is clearly a witch hunt. that's all i'm saying. the LVs deserve lots of criticism but she went too far and dawn called her out. not exactly a fan of dawn but she took a stance and i applaud that.

Reaction Score
we all know that I am HIGHLY critical of the coaching at TN, but ESPN's agenda of just pushing SO MUCH negativity and speculation about TN was absurd. Even when TN was playing decent (3 of the 4 quarters) they did nothing but continue the pre-game storyline. Doris Burke is so incapable of calling a TN game without personal bias that I don't expect anything else. She was the same way while Parker was at TN. She has a long history. simply put, TN doesn't like Doris and Doris doesn't like TN. Just the reality.
Sounds like my kind of lady!

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
As I said, some folks get sensitive... remember when the FALSE witch hunt was led against UConn...

Here, I'm just calling your bluff, 9. The criticism was legit... and if public embarrassment doesn't engender a change, serves folks right.

And Dawn's faux call out was just that.... faux. And not cool.

If you're that upset, call Doris. Don't air your dirty laundry in public and call down more attention. Not cool.

Reaction Score
Don't think Cheating in recruiting applies to UConn this time. I believe Lady Vol fans think OSU Cheated to get Tori McCoy to sign by offering a scholarship to her sister.

Doris laid out some of Tennessee's problems:

Inconsistent effort
No sense of urgency
Lack of toughness
Poor offensive execution
No recruits signed in 2016.

Well, to say Doris's comments created quite a stir in twitter land would be an understatement. Dawn didn't like what Doris said about recruiting (cited above). The number one Lady Vol defender (keep reading and you'll know who I'm talking about) said that Doris failed to mention cheating. Yes, cheating is rampant in women's basketball. Pat never cheated. Holly won't cheat. Oh, and Muffet doesn't cheat either. Everyone else does. That about sums up the twitter dust-up.

Dave and Doris didn't put forth their best effort last night (a lot was missed) and the halftime show was strange. Still, I didn't have a problem with what Doris said. This isn't any old program that's underperforming. This is a heralded program that was picked to go to the final four.

I believe that any school that wishes to make an allegation of cheating should be required to admit who they are and not hide behind the conference, to post the details of such an allegation, identify evidence they supposedly have. Pat never cheated, probably not. Holly? Who knows but from the lack of any apparent success getting big recruits she likely is not cheating. WBBFAB1 says UConn likely did not cheat this time. Got any proof of past cheating? Spell it out. Really gets me PO'd that someone would throw out a statement like that and not have any proof. It's beneath despicable.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
let me be even more clear-----i agree with a lot of what Doris said. the recruiting thing was not fully explained. TN was only looking for a post and two of the three post targets (holmes, cox) chose to stay in their home state. they didn't choose lots of top programs, including UCONN, ND, etc. anyone following their recruitment knew that getting them out of TX was going to be very difficult for any program. there is NO evidence they didn't choose TN b/c of Holly. just like there is no evidence they didn't want to play for Geno. They wanted to stay in TX. Doris should have used context to explain rather than laying out a premise and half the facts.

the other post target went to OSU where apparently the rest of the universe is flocking to. not even going to speculate about that whole mess.

my main problem is this: why spend TWO hours recycling the same comments over and over? heck, outside of the 3rd quarter, the LVs played right with or at times better than ND. she was so busy plugging the agenda that she didn't even call the game. i do think it's OK to talk about these things on a broadcast but doing it for TWO HOURS is clearly a witch hunt. that's all i'm saying. the LVs deserve lots of criticism but she went too far and dawn called her out. not exactly a fan of dawn but she took a stance and i applaud that.
I'm not sure you wanted Doris to go the"full explanation" route. A full explanation of the LadyVols recruiting situation (or lack of ) might have taken up the full broadcast. Besides Cox & Holmes there was Stephanie Mavunga, Cierra Johnson, Evelyn Akhator, Tori McCoy. & Krystaline McCune-and those are just the post players that had opportunities to start for the Lady Vols in the 2016-17 season and probably could have averaged more than 30 minutes per game.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
wbbfan1:" I believe Lady Vol fans think OSU Cheated to get Tori McCoy to sign by offering a scholarship to her sister."

On top of the McCoy crapola, if we're talking about unsavory behavior, one mustn't forget that OSU's sleazy coach McGuff has a history, previously cutting a foul-smelling deal with Mark Mitchell.

Mark Mitchell was hired as McGuff's assistant coach and then magically, coincidentally, literally hours after that, his daughter Kelsey Mitchell (the highly sought after top 10 recruit) and her sister (not even a top 150 recruit!) signed on the OSU dotted line for full 4-year rides. OSU was willing to give/pay Mitchell serious $$$ (job) and gave the after-thought sister (who by most accounts will never be any kind of player) a scholarship worth well over a hundred grand. All this to get Kelsey Mitchell to play basketball.

Sure sounds like "pay to play" to me.

It wasn't literally hours after that. Her father took the job in May. Kelsey Mitchell committed to OSU July 31st. And Mitchell did have over 20 years of coaching experience. So it's not like he has zero clue on the basketball court.

Overall, I'm not a fan of the family deal, but the father has experience coaching, he helped turn around a high school program in a matter of years. In fact, Kelsey, didn't even commit to OSU until a month after Chelsea, her lesser-touted sister committed.

Mark Mitchell's hiring article 5/31/2013.
Kelsey Mitchell's commitment announcement. 7/31/2013.

Again, not a fan of this "recruiting" or anything. Just wanted to clear that misinformation up.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
we all know that I am HIGHLY critical of the coaching at TN, but ESPN's agenda of just pushing SO MUCH negativity and speculation about TN was absurd. Even when TN was playing decent (3 of the 4 quarters) they did nothing but continue the pre-game storyline.

TN was down 25 until ND took their feet off the gas. This was a bad game and crowing that it was close for a bit is what bad teams say. And Doris spent the last few minutes talking about their toughness, which was ridiculous. And the fans didn't need Burke to tell the audience that something is wrong, fans could see for themselves.

ocoandasoc

Fan of MizzoUConn
Reaction Score
Everything that Doris said last night about Tennessee's woes has been said on this board, VolNation and the Summitt. (And a lot worse that she didn't say!) Where do you people think she gets it from? Game commentators always scan the message boards for big games they're covering. Right now it's a toss-up between Duke and Tennessee as to whose fans are most disappointed and most want to see their coach fired. How could that not bleed over into the color comments during the game? Especially when the game became relatively non-competitive in the third quarter.

Yeah, I know. It's okay for real fans to criticize the team and its coaches, but not for anyone outside the "family."

Sorry, but that doesn't apply to iconic teams (Dallas Cowboys. New York Yankees. LA Lakers. Etc. Etc.) in today's media landscape. When the most consistent teams in WCBB history have a bad year, it's going to be discussed in the media. Charlie Crème at ESPN was all over Duke today!) If you want the sport of WCBB to be considered big time, you have to take the bad with the good.

And for Holly and others going all mushy over Dawn's “supportive” comments, they should carefully consider who her real audience is – every recruit she has shown interest in for SC probably follows her tweets. Wouldn't you like to know what she's telling potential recruits about her program vs. the Lady Vols? ("Too bad about Pat and their program.... I hope they get it straightened out... but in the meantime, glad that you want to come to Columbia and play for a winner!")

There’s a lot of folks in TN today who think Dawn’s motives were other than altruistic.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Well, they were hardly going to talk about ND missing out on KLS when Mabrey2 was going for 20+ and it wouldn't make much sense to talk about losing out on Cox when Boley & Young are in the top 11 of their rankings.

I get what you are saying; every team misses out on recruits. But it is rare and, I think, noteworthy for a top program to sign zero recruits. Maybe that happens if a team already has 12 or 13 on the roster for next year but Tennessee has 10.

I don't think it needed to be said but I don't think it was out of bounds either.

Recruiting for UT is a LOT harder now than it was even just 5 years ago. Recruits today aren't as aware of Tennessee's history/prominence. 2017 recruits were just 8-9 years old when Tennessee was last in the Final Four. They are MUCH more likely to be excited at the prospect of Connecticut, Stanford, Baylor, Notre Dame, etc. When they look at how the teams are playing in Final Fours, have superstars, which schools are producing WNBA players, which coaches have proven records of success, etc. Tennessee doesn't come to mind anymore. They also don't have a strong men's program or academic reputation like Duke to counteract this and make Tennessee seem like a desirable place to go. Furthermore, when there are rumors rampant about how dysfunctional the locker room is at UT, players give mediocre effort in games and how players aren't buying into Holly's philosophy, why would a recruit want to go there? I miss the days when people were talking about UT's issues in 2005/2006 with all of the injuries, SWG quitting and players being jealous of all the hype/attention Parker was getting, but Pat still pumped out teams that easily could have won it all. Nowadays, Tennessee still has a slew of McDy's AAs but the team looks to have zero chance of winning the SEC, making the Final Four or even being a competitive team.

Reaction Score
Worries that UConn will follow Tennessee's path are unfounded. Tennessee's woes can be attributed to divine retribution. An organization cannot behave as unethically against another team (UConn), and go unscathed.

This has always been my thought. The dark clown over Volnation will not be lifted until the true comes out from the horse's mouth.

Reaction Score
I just hope when the time comes for a new coach, it will be another young, handsome but tough mentalist like Geno.
Well, at least that was how Lobo decided to come to Uconn.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I just read a funny take on Staley's comments about Burke. On the VN board a poster opined that Staley was supporting Warlick because she wants her to continue coaching UTenn. Similar to those here hoping that Warlick gets a 10 year contract extension.

Well, that is definitely a way to look at it.

I don't think it was a problem that Doris made the statement, but I thought the way she said it sounded a bit crass.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think it was a problem that Doris made the statement, but I thought the way she said it sounded a bit crass.

A bit crass? Where are we, Downton Abbey? Fact is, it's tough being the 1st coach after the legend and few succeed. Three years seems to be the mark where it's apparent it's not going to work. This is Holly's fourth. She's done. You can see it in her face. She has no answers, she just claps harder. The lack of any recruits is the canary in the coal mine.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
It wasn't literally hours after that. Her father took the job in May. Kelsey Mitchell committed to OSU July 31st. And Mitchell did have over 20 years of coaching experience. So it's not like he has zero clue on the basketball court.

Overall, I'm not a fan of the family deal, but the father has experience coaching, he helped turn around a high school program in a matter of years. In fact, Kelsey, didn't even commit to OSU until a month after Chelsea, her lesser-touted sister committed.

Mark Mitchell's hiring article 5/31/2013.
Kelsey Mitchell's commitment announcement. 7/31/2013.

Again, not a fan of this "recruiting" or anything. Just wanted to clear that misinformation up.

It was end of May and early June which would make the announcements days apart not months as your timeline incorrectly states.

"In May the Buckeyes hired Mark Mitchell, former coach at Taft (Cincinnati), as an assistant women's basketball coach. In June his daughter, 5-foot-11
Chelsea Mitchell, committed to the Buckeyes. She currently is rehabbing from knee surgery."

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwi...-twin-sister-to-ohio-state-for-basketball.htm

20 years of coaching at the HS level- never coached girls or expressed interest in coaching at the college level. The optics and the ethics were/are bad no matter which way you try and slice it. Ask yourself this question: Did Chelsea Mitchell have any Division I offers?

Reaction Score
May I caution all - a great player does not always make a good, very good or great coach.

Great players are blessed with a talent above the normal player - vision, eye/hand coordination/ anticipation. Yes hard work is needed to enhance that talent. But many cannot coach/ teach that talent to another. Many stars players do not understand how one player can struggle with some aspects of the game when they didn't.

Notice, I'm not saying all star players can't, I'm just saying that because one is one of the best ever to play the game does not mean they can or want to coach the game. Its a totally different world that demands a totally different skill set for success.

Example from hockey- Wayne Gretzky. One of all time greats but mediocre as a coach.

Reaction Score
We'll be fine as long as Geno is here. Afterwards...well, things will possibly not be so nice.

WCBB is a coaching-dominated variant of the sport; it's the most important drawing force, which is why a legend like Geno (and Pat) can draw excellent talent from so far afield. If you don't have a legend as your coach, you have to rely on other drawing factors. Here's how UConn does on those.

*Geographical proximity to talent: UConn fares poorly here.
*Quality of facilities: Great basketball practice facility. Mediocre arenas. We'll call this a wash.
*Prestige of the school's name: "I mean, hello, it's [Insert University Name]!" UConn has some name draw specifically within the world of basketball, but overall it still lags behind the main name draws. Places like Duke, North Carolina, Texas, UCLA, etc.
*Prestige (and income potential) of the athletic conference: UConn doesn't score points here.

Those are the only ones that will draw long term. There are other things, like historical excellence, that will draw on a temporary basis, but not a permanent one. (see the Louisiana Techs of the world)

Long story short, UConn's hand is not great in the post-Geno world. Over the long term, I actually think that the UConn men will survive this environment better than the women. There's a lot of talent to go around on the men's side, so even after the P5 have had their fill, there's enough talent left for some non-P5 teams to reach near-elite status. On the women's side, talent is so sparse that there's rarely more than a dozen teams worth talking about in any given year.

Our worst case scenario is worse than Tennessee's worst case scenario, because they still edge us on geographical proximity and with their athletic conference. Needless to say, I'm hoping that we don't hit our worst case scenario.

edit: Things that can help us avoid the worst case scenario include 1. UConn gets accepted to a P5 conference, and 2. Lighting strikes twice, and we get another young, charismatic coach with the ability to make the most of his or her players, recruit well despite the mediocre conference, etc. And then he or she would have to decide to stay even with the big offers from P5 schools start coming in. In other words, another legend coach.
UCONN does not lag behind North Carolina academically since the cheating scandal was brought to light.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
All I was saying the accusation of cheating by Lady Vol fans was not aimed at UConn but OSU. Didn't say either program cheated. Now if Lady Vols lose a big time recruit from the South to UConn again, the talk may start all over again. :)

I believe that any school that wishes to make an allegation of cheating should be required to admit who they are and not hide behind the conference, to post the details of such an allegation, identify evidence they supposedly have. Pat never cheated, probably not. Holly? Who knows but from the lack of any apparent success getting big recruits she likely is not cheating. WBBFAB1 says UConn likely did not cheat this time. Got any proof of past cheating? Spell it out. Really gets me PO'd that someone would throw out a statement like that and not have any proof. It's beneath despicable.

Reaction Score
We watch the demise of the Lady Vols basketball establishment with some glee, exuberance, and a bit of trepidation.

I know this has been discussed before, but the poignancy of their plight is heightened by the fear that this could happen to us as well.

Is UTenn's abrupt decline, the roadmap that the UConn program is destined to traverse?

Obviously, the choice of new leadership upon Geno's retirement, will have the majority effect on the continuation of the program's success. Several years ago, I wrote a thesis in which I described that the life-span of independent orchestras in New York is proscribed; most often associated with the enthusiasm of their founders and like dance companies, when the major founding figure is no longer active, they are rapidly diminished and often disappear. (For those New York arts buffs, consider: Music Aeterna, Opera Orchestra of New York, Y Chamber Symphony, Brooklyn Philharmonic, and even the New York City Opera).

Let us examine certain options. Isn't it likely that CD will retire simultaneously with Geno?
It would be wonderful if she stayed for a few seasons, easing the transition, and imparting her special brand of values to off-court standards. But most of us feel that it is unlikely that she will either be an interim head or choose to reenlist in a new administration.

Geno may have a real sense as to whom he would recommend as the next head and may have a great influence as to his successor as did Pat Summit and Jim Calhoun. But clearly, it is not in anyones interest for him to publicly muse about it.

Pat chose one of her long-time assistants and a former player; it appears to have not worked out very well. Jim also chose a former player who had graduated into an important and extended NBA career and had developed a unique reputation for setting the highest standards in professionality for his younger teammates. to emulate. Many of today's superstars recall Kevin's influence with admiration and respect. After a short, two year apprenticeship as Calhoun assistant, Kevin was a brilliant choice.

Discussion as to whom will emerge as Geno's successor has centered around his current assistants, especially Shea, and Jennifer Rizzotti at Hartford, both former hard-nosed, UConn guards who thrived as unique performers in the team's earlier successes.

Nevertheless I anticipate that Geno will surprise us and go outside the program for his recommendation.
(I must admit to being quite uninformed as to Shea's actual contribution presently, but Jenn's record is quite
understood).

Almost as important as the choice of the new coach is the replacement of the CD figure. I suggest the Marisa Moseley is being groomed to slide into that role.

The most significant young mind in the basketball coaching firmament with Kevin Ollie-like credentials appears to be Becky Hammon. if she is not grabbed by another major program...Tennessee would be hard pressed to find someone better to rejuvenate their program...Becky would be the type of candidate that UConn might very well recruit.
First, the"demise" is only temporary. The Lady Vols are simply paying the price of having given the keys to the
Ferrari to Aunt Bee. Holly is apparently completely incapable of doing her job.how could this be?
We watch the demise of the Lady Vols basketball establishment with some glee, exuberance, and a bit of trepidation.

I know this has been discussed before, but the poignancy of their plight is heightened by the fear that this could happen to us as well.

Is UTenn's abrupt decline, the roadmap that the UConn program is destined to traverse?

Obviously, the choice of new leadership upon Geno's retirement, will have the majority effect on the continuation of the program's success. Several years ago, I wrote a thesis in which I described that the life-span of independent orchestras in New York is proscribed; most often associated with the enthusiasm of their founders and like dance companies, when the major founding figure is no longer active, they are rapidly diminished and often disappear. (For those New York arts buffs, consider: Music Aeterna, Opera Orchestra of New York, Y Chamber Symphony, Brooklyn Philharmonic, and even the New York City Opera).

Let us examine certain options. Isn't it likely that CD will retire simultaneously with Geno?
It would be wonderful if she stayed for a few seasons, easing the transition, and imparting her special brand of values to off-court standards. But most of us feel that it is unlikely that she will either be an interim head or choose to reenlist in a new administration.

Geno may have a real sense as to whom he would recommend as the next head and may have a great influence as to his successor as did Pat Summit and Jim Calhoun. But clearly, it is not in anyones interest for him to publicly muse about it.

Pat chose one of her long-time assistants and a former player; it appears to have not worked out very well. Jim also chose a former player who had graduated into an important and extended NBA career and had developed a unique reputation for setting the highest standards in professionality for his younger teammates. to emulate. Many of today's superstars recall Kevin's influence with admiration and respect. After a short, two year apprenticeship as Calhoun assistant, Kevin was a brilliant choice.

Discussion as to whom will emerge as Geno's successor has centered around his current assistants, especially Shea, and Jennifer Rizzotti at Hartford, both former hard-nosed, UConn guards who thrived as unique performers in the team's earlier successes.

Nevertheless I anticipate that Geno will surprise us and go outside the program for his recommendation.
(I must admit to being quite uninformed as to Shea's actual contribution presently, but Jenn's record is quite
understood).

Almost as important as the choice of the new coach is the replacement of the CD figure. I suggest the Marisa Moseley is being groomed to slide into that role.

The most significant young mind in the basketball coaching firmament with Kevin Ollie-like credentials appears to be Becky Hammon. if she is not grabbed by another major program...Tennessee would be hard pressed to find someone better to rejuvenate their program...Becky would be the type of candidate that UConn might very well recruit.

The mind boggles! Why would you ( or anyone ) think Becky Hammon would be a better candidate to replace Geno than someone ( Shea ) who

understood).

The mind boggles! Why would Hammon be considered over Shea? I doubt seriously if knows any more about Women's basketball than Shea!

understood).

The mind boggles!!! Why would Becky Hammon be given a job over someone ( Shea ) that Geno will have personally mentored and taught for ten to fifteen years? There is zero chance that Hammon would be hired over Shea Ralph!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom