Tennessee topics (merged threads) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Tennessee topics (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Back in the day, UCLA got hit by a triple whammy!

They lost (1) HoF Coach Wooden; (2) Sam Gilbert, generous booster and, um, "recruiting coordinator":rolleyes:; and (3) ability to retain players for four seasons.

The first and third losses were serious. The second was fatal.;)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
There is no doubt that once Geno retires the program will go through a major adjustment. He is why recruits come to UConn. They want to be the best they can be and also win championships. Without his ability to draw recruits things could get sticky.
In my opinion Jen R would be the most likely candidate. She is a former player, knows the system. has Div 1 head coach experience and has worked with USA basketball for years. Solid resume. Both Tonya C and Jamelle E would also have to get some consideration. I think Shea's lack of experience as a head coach would be a problem.

It's been 20 years since Rizotti left UConn. If you watch the games it isn't the same "system" by a long shot. Ralph has spent the last 8 years learning from the best. If a hire is from within the UConn family it will be Ralph. I don't think any of the other ex players have the chops.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
It not only could happen to UConn, but most assuredly will happen. The unknowns are when and how severely will it happen. I for one plan to enjoy the ride for as long as it lasts.
As a long-time Patriots fan I've thoroughly enjoyed their 15 year run, unprecedented in the salary cap/free agency era, but I suffered through a lot of really bad years and I will probably see them again. As a Cubs fan I've suffered through decades of hope followed by disappointment and their time may finally be upon us. Sports goes in cycles. Always has and always will. Just bask in the glow when it's your team's turn.
https://www.google.com.gt/webhp?sou...v=2&ie=UTF-8#q=a dying cub fan's last request

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I don't think that Diana will be able to resist the glamour of taking over the nonpareil wcbb program and all the attention and publicity that goes with it, and she will prolly be retiring as a player about the same time Geno hangs up his whistle. She has the charisma and mystique to attract recruits like no one else would have. (Much like Dawn at SCar.) Also the fierce will to win that the position requires. I also think that CD will hang around for a few years to ease the transition. If not D, then, in order of probability (imho), Shea, Carla, Marisa and Sue. I love Jen, but, even granting the lack of appeal of Hartford U., she just hasn't shown much chops as a recruiter. And with the wealth of in-house talent, I can't see UConn going outside the family. And I do NOT think that the Pat/Holly misfortune is any sort of predictor of what will happen here when the day comes. And the same applies to the post-Wooden situation at UCLA. I see no reason why the Dynasty should end with Geno's retirement. It could happen, but it is far from inevitable.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I think that recruits probably read fan boards, including this one and VolNation. I also think that any recruit who could read VN and then enroll at UT is probably certifiable, or at very least a cockeyed optimist.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
It's been 20 years since Rizotti left UConn. If you watch the games it isn't the same "system" by a long shot. Ralph has spent the last 8 years learning from the best. If a hire is from within the UConn family it will be Ralph. I don't think any of the other ex players have the chops.

I used to think Jenn was destined to succeed Geno, but she and her family seem so solidly settled in the Hartford region that I no longer see that happening.

Shea, OTOH, is not only understudying Geno at practices and courtside but also in the vast recruiting network, with alumni/ boosters/donors, and with both the UConn AD and University Administration. Activities with all those entities (recruiting players, raising money, securing program support, etc.) are at least as important as x's and o's. At age 37 with about a dozen years as an asst. coach, she could hit the ground running.

P.S. Any outsider comes in they would likely lose Shea as an assistant.:( After woking with Geno/CD, she would be outta Storrs.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
May I caution all - a great player does not always make a good, very good or great coach.

Great players are blessed with a talent above the normal player - vision, eye/hand coordination/ anticipation. Yes hard work is needed to enhance that talent. But many cannot coach/ teach that talent to another. Many stars players do not understand how one player can struggle with some aspects of the game when they didn't.

Notice, I'm not saying all star players can't, I'm just saying that because one is one of the best ever to play the game does not mean they can or want to coach the game. Its a totally different world that demands a totally different skill set for success.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think that recruits probably read fan boards, including this one and VolNation. I also think that any recruit who could read VN and then enroll at UT is probably certifiable, or at very least a cockeyed optimist.

Certainly their AAU etc coaches do. How many of your prime kids do you want to send into Death Valley?

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Lady Vol fans may believe they have the talent, but I believe they're mistaken. Russell is the "softest" 6' 6" I've seen in years at any major D1 school. It's now plain to see that her high school performance was due primarily to the fact that she towered over her opposition. DeShields is horrendously overrated. She's a turnover waiting to happen and in terms of scoring efficiency only Briana Pulido has a worse pts/shot ratio. Her 3-pt percentage is worse than every UConn player except Pulido. In fact, every UConn player except Pulido, who has attempted at least one 3-pointer has a better percentage than any UT player.
Their guards are uniformly pedestrian. Granted Cooper is only a freshman and may develop, but as a group they're pretty ordinary.

I was going to "like" your post until I got tired of your using Pulido as a negative comparison. Crap on Deshields all you want but there is no need use Pulido as your "but she's better than" example.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
And why isn't any0ne talking Berube, the Tufts Tuffy!

WC - Berube has been talked about before in several threads. She's even been asked about it in interviews. The bottom line is always the same - she loves coaching exactly where she is now. That may change, but even if it did, success at the Tufts level in no way guarantees success at an elite D1 school.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
May I caution all - a great player does not always make a good, very good or great coach.

Great players are blessed with a talent above the normal player - vision, eye/hand coordination/ anticipation. Yes hard work is needed to enhance that talent. But many cannot coach/ teach that talent to another. Many stars players do not understand how one player can struggle with some aspects of the game when they didn't.

Notice, I'm not saying all star players can't, I'm just saying that because one is one of the best ever to play the game does not mean they can or want to coach the game. Its a totally different world that demands a totally different skill set for success.

That pretty much says it all. How many great players are top coaches in D1 WCBB. I was going to make a list, but I came up blank.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

One of the reasons I think Diana would be a very good coach if she wanted to be is she had a knack for being the floor general who could make everyone around her better.

Reaction Score
A most telling and factual statement from eric... And speaking of recruiting, Warlick’s mark is nowhere to be found on the recruiting trail this year either. According to ESPN HoopGurlz Recruiting for 2016, Tennessee has all of 0 top 100 recruits. And don’t sell me on youth and limited roster spots when you’ve got two seniors leaving.

This has to be on the minds of the administration and the fan base. The top 2 that aren't committed do not even have TN on their consideration list. Got to love the irony that our #1 recruit is coming out of TN :D.

Reaction Score
Geno is only 61 years old. I think he will not retire until 66-67.
So we have 5-6 years to worry about. Lot things can change during this 5-6 years.

I am pretty sure Geno will start to consider who will take his job now. I will trust his decision,
In the UConn family, we have Tonya C, Jen R, Shea, Jamelle E, Berube, Ann S, Sue Bird, even Diana or Maya can be good candidates. Personally I like the next coach comes from UConn family.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Ann Strother coaching UConn?????? Of all the persons that you listed only Ralph has the resume. Whomever (grammar police comments welcome) replaces Auriemma it will not be a "walk on" - Moore, Taurasi, Bird etc. Hell, why not add Jacquie Fernandes to the mix. At least she has head coaching experience and she wants to be a coach. Bird and Moore want to be broadcasters and Taurasi probably wants to be an astronaut after her bball career is over.

People need to get over equating basketball greatness to coaching greatness. Apples and apricots.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
I was going to "like" your post until I got tired of your using Pulido as a negative comparison. Crap on Deshields all you want but there is no need use Pulido as your "but she's better than" example.

The only reason I named Pulido is because she was the only UConn player with worse stats, but that wasn't a knock on Briana at all. I give a tremendous amount of respect to both her and Lawlor for what they've accomplished and how they've comported themselves. Can't be easy putting in all that practice time and only getting garbage minutes. I suppose I could have said "there's only one UConn player with worse stats" without naming her, so point taken.

Reaction Score
Ann Strother coaching UConn?????? Of all the persons that you listed only Ralph has the resume. Whomever (grammar police comments welcome) replaces Auriemma it will not be a "walk on" - Moore, Taurasi, Bird etc. Hell, why not add Jacquie Fernandes to the mix. At least she has head coaching experience and she wants to be a coach. Bird and Moore want to be broadcasters and Taurasi probably wants to be an astronaut after her bball career is over.

People need to get over equating basketball greatness to coaching greatness. Apples and apricots.
So you think Jamelle E has no resume?
I only list the UConn family and say they can be candidates. Why you are so nervous?

Reaction Score
Of all the persons that you listed only Ralph has the resume. .
Gotta disagree regards resumes. The head coach experience that Jen, Tonya, and Jamelle have is a great asset. Being a former player does not mean you can coach. All three are coaches but obviously not with great results. None of their programs are and never will be UConn but they at least have the hands on experience of coaching. I'm sure Shea has done all the other parts of being on the coaching staff but she hasn't actually coached

Reaction Score
Can't remember where I read it but some board poster was berating UConn for "stealing" recruits by poaching in TN and they would rather see every top tier player stay home and play for their state U. And shame on UConn for violating that sense of fairness. This when TN had recruits from all over the country. Hogwash, because I am a nice guy. In any case I am sorry that the Summitt family has to go thru the dementia life that Pat will endure, I am familiar with the path they are on. Wouldn't wish it even on the heart and soul of VolNation. When the legend of Storrs moves on we'll hope we do better with the next one. Got a few years to wait.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
she spoke the truth and definitely didn't make any new friends in Knoxville tonight

Reaction Score
UConn will choose from Shea, Jen and Marisa. They would be the leading candidates because of their experience and their ties to the program. Nobody knows better the work and pressure that comes with the UConn head coaching job.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
My problem with the Shea candidacy (if indeed she is a candidate), is that her record is unclear.
She gives few interviews, is quoted relatively rarely and appears on the bench with a look of
great concern for the greatest part of every evening.

She may very well be an extraordinary candidate, but its hard for us to know...perhaps its of no consequence that we don't know.

In the case of Becky, we surely do know.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
So you think Jamelle E has no resume?
I only list the UConn family and say they can be candidates. Why you are so nervous?

I think that Jamelle does not have a resume to be considered as Auriemma's replacement. IMO neither does Rizzotti.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ry7

Top Bottom