Tennessee topics (merged threads) | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Tennessee topics (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
One of the complaints of the vocal Tennessee fans is that AD and the admin are not interested in Woman's sports in general and Lady Vols BB in particular.

It is becoming more difficult to ignore the increasing media frenzy at the Vol's futility.

This evening the Times printed a critical AP story and locally, Dan Fleser, a long-time observer of the team snatched an interview with Holly that continues her trend of making unfortunate remarks to the press that do not include a reasonable scheme for getting the team back on the tracks.

It's hard to believe that if things don't improve quickly, that her tenure can continue past this season.

The administration cannot be so tone-deaf as to permit a national humiliation; drip by drip.
Maybe you are right, Michael, but you will have to admit that if they are not they are doing a damned good imitation!

Reaction Score
Pat won her first NC after two of her Olympic teammates transferred to Tenn. Pat had talked to them at the final four and shortly thereafter both enrolled at Tenn. These were players under scholarship to other schools but there was no rule about contacting players from other schools and Pat took advantage of that to improve her team. So when Cornelius or some other LV apologist starts ranting about "the right way" they are nothing but hypocrites. [/QUOTE said:
Pat won her first title in 1987. She played in the Olympics in 1976. Her then teammates would not have been college age 11 years after the games. She did have teammates transfer to her squad, but those transfers did not win her a title. It is a little unfair to call a LV apologist a hypocrite when it would seem highly unlikely they followed the sport at the time these transfers happened originally under the AIAW rules prior to NCAA governance of the sport.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
So you are a tweeter? Or is the plural I should use as in, you're a twit?
cool.png
wink.png

Lol, I am a tweeter. I try not to be a twit though.. :cool:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Chelsea (committed in June) is the twin sister of Kelsey (the all-american) I attached a link to Kelsey's verbal commitment. So my timeline is correct. He actually was an assistant coach for All-Ohio Girls team, who I believe, won nationals.

I stated in my post that I don't agree with this kind of recruiting. I was just clearing up that it wasn't hours apart.
I know who Chelsea is & my question still stands-Besides OSU what other D1 program offered CHELSEA a scholarship? I saw the All-Ohio Girls (Aka The Kelsey Mitchell Show) many times on AAU circuit. Westbeld was the smartest of the bunch by getting away from Mitchell and crew. "If being an assistant on All-Ohio Girls team qualifies you to be on staff at OSU, where do I submit my resume?

Reaction Score
TENN plays Vandy tonight and might lose three in a row. With Kentucky and Miss St. after Vandy, they might be in for a five game losing streak. When was the last time they lost that many in a row? Or even four out of five? Program has definitely suffered these last five or so years. Holly definitely has her hands full with turning this team around. The quality of players seems to be there, but they don't appear to play as a cohesive unit. Something needs to change... maybe a new cast of assistant coaches.

I guess I should have read the article in the previous posts. So, never mind. :oops:

Last edited:

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"First, the"demise" is only temporary"

I think that there is a very real possibility that the demise may be permanent. The old girls club that sustained Summitt has been decimated and their recruiting will continue to suffer. Top players in high school now were in grammar school the last time UTenn made a final four. Players and their parents won't be looking for a "used to be" school. HS and AAU coaches aren't going to steer their top players to a "legacy" school.

Reaction Score
But Dave Hart has extended Holly 2 or 3 times, including just a few months ago..... even with a $100,000 raise!!!! Don't think he has seen any LV games.

Reaction Score
"Warlick has also drawn the ire of some disgruntled fans. She received a one-year extension and $100,000 raise before the season to improve her annual pay to $665,000. Her contract runs through the 2018-19 season."
UConn should give Geno and CD/team a raise too ...

Reaction Score
Those folks on VolNation can be pretty mean (re: UConn), but they do have their funny moments. They speculate daily about who they might be able to get to replace Holly. One blasphemous UT poster made the following suggestion for a new head coach:
"I'd back a dump truck full of money to Geno Auriemma's front door." Yeah, fat chance!

To which a furious LadyVol poster replied:
"I would give up my 4 decades-long support of the LVs if this Faustian deal were even possible. I wouldn't be able to ever enjoy a LV game again due to the nausea of watching him strut the sidelines." Wow, they've heard of Faust!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have not heard Doris' comment yet. If the comment was specific to 2016 Tennessee recruit them I would tend to agree that subject should not have come up=piling on IMO. No 2016 recruit could possibly have an impact on the game that was played last night so why bring it up.
I guess my take is based in part on the fact that game announce personnel, especially during a less competitive game feel the air must be filled with something relevant or not. By the same token no 2016 or beyond recruit is going to have any impact on any game all year yet they are routinely discussed at times ad nausea all over media and boards like this one. An incoming can be of importance because of who is graduating (Dangerfield in, Jefferson out) but it may also influence a bench role player deciding to transfer out or at least explore that option. And I firmly believe, unless they are home schooled and never read an article or have the internet that any prospective recruits are unaware of UT's issues over the past several years. It ain't after all rocket science.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
I believe the Lady Vols have been in the Top 25 since Feb 1985 or about 563 weeks. A loss to Vandy would end that streak. I think they win, but it just puts off the pain with games against the stronger SEC teams.

I think Holly needs to learn the Pat stare. That was her greatest coaching skill.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
To which a furious LadyVol poster replied:
"I would give up my 4 decades-long support of the LVs if this Faustian deal were even possible. I wouldn't be able to ever enjoy a LV game again due to the nausea of watching him strut the sidelines." Wow, they've heard of Faust!
Ah, but the vast majority of the Vol fans would suddenly discover a deep appreciation for a 'Philly sense of humor', they might even laugh again!

Reaction Score
While my dislike for Tennessee permeates my very DNA, I am no less enamored of the Mo'ne Davis snitch Balcomb.

Can both teams lose tonight? That'd be perfect.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
While my dislike for Tennessee permeates my very DNA, I am no less enamored of the Mo'ne Davis snitch Balcomb.

Can both teams lose tonight? That'd be perfect.

Looks like they are trying.

Vandy with 12 turnovers, TN with 8 still in the first half

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Looks like they are trying.

Vandy with 12 turnovers, TN with 8 still in the first half

Watching this abomination. If it was physically possible for both to lose, they would and should!
It's really incredible how many times players from both these teams needlessly pick up their dribble????

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
As usual TN press is the only thing that generates offense - 17 of their 28 points off of turnovers. If Vandy figures out how to handle the press, it will be interesting. TN defense porous.

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Vanderbilt has no one who can handle the ball worth a damn!

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
Peck is unbearable. When Tenn is losing she's as quiet as a mouse cause she's sulking and when they're winning they're the greatest thing since sliced bread.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess my take is based in part on the fact that game announce personnel, especially during a less competitive game feel the air must be filled with something relevant or not. By the same token no 2016 or beyond recruit is going to have any impact on any game all year yet they are routinely discussed at times ad nausea all over media and boards like this one. An incoming can be of importance because of who is graduating (Dangerfield in, Jefferson out) but it may also influence a bench role player deciding to transfer out or at least explore that option. And I firmly believe, unless they are home schooled and never read an article or have the internet that any prospective recruits are unaware of UT's issues over the past several years. It ain't after all rocket science.
Bill,
I finally had a chance to go back and listen to the game. Doris actually refereed to the LadyVols not being able to sign any 2016 players twice during the broadcast. Everything she said was factually correct, unnecessary, and definitely did not need to repeated. The exact repeated statement that I now have an issue with is this “Lady Vols went hard after two post players and whiffed on both.” Again factually correct, but guess who else whiffed on those same two players. ND the opponent in the game being broadcast, South Carolina-Dawn was listening at home, Louisville & UCONN. Doris had enough ammunition to bury the Lady Vols and she did. See UConnCat’s post for a very accurate list of Lady Vols issues verbalized by Doris. I also now understand better where Dawn was coming from.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Wanted to post a Holly quote from the article, that to me, pretty much sums up their problems - Holly was talking about Tennessee teams of the past:

"They were always going to be very physical and very tough and they were going to outwork most teams," she said. "You don't see that on a consistent basis anymore."

Therein lies the problem for Tennessee - being very physical and tough and outworking most teams was great in the 80's and 90's but is pretty much a disastrous team concept to try to employ, and has been for at least 15 years. I hardly think the 2 NC's they won with Parker, Anosike, Hornbuckle, Bobbitt, etc. were because those teams were very physical and tough and outworked most other teams. But even if that was the case, the days of blue collar teams who beat the crap out of everyone else physically and just out-tough everyone else are long gone. the game is not meant to be played that way and with the talent of players, and the way fans want to see the game played, refs will not allow Tennessee (or any team for that matter) to win games the way they did in the 90's and early 00's.

My answer to Holly is "you don't see that on a consistent basis any more, and YOU SHOULD NOT SEE THAT ON A CONSISTENT BASIS ANY MORE"...

Until Holly realizes it's time to pull her coaching out of the dark ages, she won't have any success whatsoever, never mind moderate success. AS long as she's the HC at Tennessee, they will never be a legit threat to win a NC again. Just my $.02 of course...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom