Tennessee topics (merged threads) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Tennessee topics (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Wow! Vanderbilt can't shoot the ball, can't dribble, can't handle defensive pressure, has no team speed, shows no motion on offense, has zero athleticism and no size. And they're staying right with the 'great' Tennessee Vols. In Knoxville On a day they're honoring Summitt. Two once-top programs going nowhere.

I feel bad for Tennessee...NOT!!

Hats off to Tennessee; they look like a solid D2 mid-major while putting up 58 points!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
2 mins left - TN up by just 4 after getting spotted a big lead in the 3rd.

They look tired.

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
Also total points by both teams still less than 100. The offensive futility is something to behold.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
A minute and a half to go
Tennessee can't lose this...can they?

Rocket009

Santa Cruz. CA
Reaction Score
20 seconds left Vandy down by 3 with the ball - Margo must be out on the ledge about now.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Well Tennessee seems to have pulled it out
I stopped watching; checked the ESPN scoreboard

And why did they win?
Played they're usual, pretty awful BB, press worked a bit

But one kid...one kid. Cooper made a bunch of shots and that was enough to get them over the line
I suppose its better than no one making shots.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Watched for the last minute and caught a Vandy travel, a Tenn shot lock violation, Vandy stepping out of bounds and a Tenn turnover. All consecutively with 1.5 - .5 minutes on the clock. Neither team had any interest in winning.

Reaction Score
Tennessee 58
Vandy 49

The Vandy nation is not up in arms against Melanie Balcomb who earns $2M+ (I read somewhere on Boneyard).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Expected TN to win at home vs Vandy. Now when TN has to go to Vandy, that could be a different story.

Reaction Score
Тхе Емпире струцк бацк тонигхт

Теннессее 58
Вандербилт 49

If you lower your guard, the Empire will strike back.
The news of its demise has been greatly exaggerated.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I also now understand better where Dawn was coming from.

Can you explain your better understanding?

toadfoot

To live will be an awfully big adventure.
Reaction Score
Тхе Емпире струцк бацк тонигхт

Теннессее 58
Вандербилт 49

If you lower your guard, the Empire will strike back.
The news of its demise has been greatly exaggerated.

Ooooh! Had a year of Russian in college. I think I even remember half a dozen words!

Reaction Score
Bill,
I finally had a chance to go back and listen to the game. Doris actually refereed to the LadyVols not being able to sign any 2016 players twice during the broadcast. Everything she said was factually correct, unnecessary, and definitely did not need to repeated. The exact repeated statement that I now have an issue with is this “Lady Vols went hard after two post players and whiffed on both.” Again factually correct, but guess who else whiffed on those same two players. ND the opponent in the game being broadcast, South Carolina-Dawn was listening at home, Louisville & UCONN. Doris had enough ammunition to bury the Lady Vols and she did. See UConnCat’s post for a very accurate list of Lady Vols issues verbalized by Doris. I also now understand better where Dawn was coming from.

A final word from me. I can not attach motive to the manner in which Burke choose to use the information. But I look at the current status of the SC and UConn rosters and while either or both schools could have been on the trail of the two bigs I don't see either as severely damaged that they went elsewhere. Not sure about Louisville. ND no one knows what the status of Reimer will be next year and if she is back its less of an issue in South BEnd. Maybe those factors influenced Burke to narrow the comments to TN. Maybe Burke had reason to believe that TN was much more heavily on the two kids then the other schools. Again I don't know. BTW has anyone tried to get a comment from Burke given the firestorm from Staley in particular? That might prove an interesting read.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
we all know that I am HIGHLY critical of the coaching at TN, but ESPN's agenda of just pushing SO MUCH negativity and speculation about TN was absurd. Even when TN was playing decent (3 of the 4 quarters) they did nothing but continue the pre-game storyline. Doris Burke is so incapable of calling a TN game without personal bias that I don't expect anything else. She was the same way while Parker was at TN. She has a long history. simply put, TN doesn't like Doris and Doris doesn't like TN. Just the reality.
When I read the So Carolina board, I see an absolute disdain for ESPN. It's made out to be like a northern conspiracy that favors Ct somehow. It's really funny.
I love Doris. Didn't hear the game. She usually calls it like she sees it.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
They could not score as many as 60 points against Vanderbilt. They won't make it to the final four with that kind of scoring.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
When I read the So Carolina board, I see an absolute disdain for ESPN. It's made out to be like a northern conspiracy that favors Ct somehow. It's really funny.
I love Doris. Didn't hear the game. She usually calls it like she sees it.

It's a running joke across several of our websites; "ESPN hates USC". It was started by a particular chicken little poster.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Those folks on VolNation can be pretty mean (re: UConn), but they do have their funny moments. They speculate daily about who they might be able to get to replace Holly. One blasphemous UT poster made the following suggestion for a new head coach:
"I'd back a dump truck full of money to Geno Auriemma's front door." Yeah, fat chance!

To which a furious LadyVol poster replied:
"I would give up my 4 decades-long support of the LVs if this Faustian deal were even possible. I wouldn't be able to ever enjoy a LV game again due to the nausea of watching him strut the sidelines." Wow, they've heard of Faust!
She was referring to Gomer Faust, who owns and operates a used trailer emporium just outside of Knoxville and will cut you a helluva deal on a slightly used double-wide, as she sits, cash only, no warranty, you pull her away.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I also now understand better where Dawn was coming from.

Can you explain your better understanding?
Sure.
This is what Dawn said: "To Listen to the commentators speak about Tenn and its recruiting class is disturbing. "
IMO Dawn saw Doris' comments as a public airing of a taboo subject (recruiting misses)=dirty laundry within her profession. No one of the profession should be commenting on recruiting misses. Doris is of the profession called WCBB and should have done better. Within this profession, when a prized recruit signs you congratulate the winner and you move on to the next recruiting battle. What Doris did was publicly chastise the looser of a recruiting battle over and over=#Not Cool.

Reaction Score
Coco, have to disagree with you on this one. I watched the game and nothing was said in a venomous manner. Commentators do a ton of pregame home work and have lists of stats and info on the teams. Sometimes some of the things that are said are even meaningless about players or their family to keep the banter going. NOTHING said factually correct is out of line. Often a teams past, present and future are brought up. The team being discussed was iconic in the past with 8 NCs not so much in the present and the outlook for the future with this recruiting class not so bright.

As for those who follow WBB the fact TENN has not a single recruit is HUGE and newsworthy. Dawn should shut up and stick to her profession, coaching and recruiting. Doris should continue what she is doing by gathering info and getting it to the viewer. As for her saying it twice many would have said it three or four times. Announcers often ride a topic or go back to it. nothing is taboo if factual. No harm no foul here.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coco, have to disagree with you on this one. I watched the game and nothing was said in a venomous manner. Commentators do a ton of pregame home work and have lists of stats and info on the teams. Sometimes some of the things that are said are even meaningless about players or their family to keep the banter going. NOTHING said factually correct is out of line. Often a teams past, present and future are brought up. The team being discussed was iconic in the past with 8 NCs not so much in the present and the outlook for the future with this recruiting class not so bright.

As for those who follow WBB the fact TENN has not a single recruit is HUGE and newsworthy. Dawn should shut up and stick to her profession, coaching and recruiting. Doris should continue what she is doing by gathering info and getting it to the viewer. As for her saying it twice many would have said it three or four times. Announcers often ride a topic or go back to it. nothing is taboo if factual. No harm no foul here.
Woof perfectly OK for us to disagree on this one. Been listening to college basketball for a long time, I have never heard a commentator blame a specific school for missing out on specific prize recruits. The only notable exception being Pat Summit's infamous "They know what they did" nastiness in reference to Maya's recruitment.
Most good professions are self-policing so I'm OK with Dawn not shutting up- As if that were really going to happen.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
IMO Dawn saw Doris' comments as a public airing of a taboo subject (recruiting misses)=dirty laundry within her profession. No one of the profession should be commenting on recruiting misses. Doris is of the profession called WCBB and should have done better. Within this profession, when a prized recruit signs you congratulate the winner and you move on to the next recruiting battle. What Doris did was publicly chastise the looser of a recruiting battle over and over=#Not Cool.

Doris is not "of the profession" in any way, shape or form. If that's truly Staley's thought process, she's nuts.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Doris is not "of the profession" in any way, shape or form. If that's truly Staley's thought process, she's nuts.
Doris Burke played WCBB at Providence. She served as an assistant coach for her Alma mater for two years (1988-90). She is the lead commentator for the only National Network ESPN that carries the most WCBB as well as the WCBB championship game. She is a voting member of several WCBB National Awards, including the Liberman & Naismith. She is very much of the WCBB profession just like Rebecca Lobo, Meg Culmo & Kara Lawson are of the same Profession.

Last edited:

pinotbear

Silly Ol' Bear
Reaction Score
Doris Burke played WCBB at Providence. She served as an assistant coach for her Alma mater for two years (1988-90). She is the lead commentator for the only National Network ESPN that carries the most WCBB as well as the WCBB championship game. She is a voting member of several WCBB National Awards, including the Liberman & Naismith. She is very much of the WCBB profession just like Rebecca Lobo, Meg Culmo & Kara Lawson are of the same Profession.

I'm not sure that there is such a thing as the WCBB profession. There are professions and roles within, for want of a better word, the WCBB industry - and, you listed a few of them (player, coach, broadcaster, commentator, voting member). As I oft do, I quote my great Aunt Kathryn, who said "where you stand depends upon where you sit". Staley is a head coach, and her stance of "speak no evil" regarding recruiting, reflects that. Burke isn't a coach - in fact, her job as commentator requires her to -*ahem* - comment.

And, whether Dawn or Holly or Margo or whomever likes it or not, for any - ANY - nationally-prominent basketball program, men's or women's, to have an "0-fer" recruiting class, that's at least worthy of comment during a broadcast.

When you add in all the other stuff - high school AA's on roster, disappointing early-season play & results, history of the program, transition from a legendary coach, team chemistry concerns - that just makes recruiting weakness an even greater issue.

Folks are upset that Burke commented on Tennessee's difficulties, on and off the court. That's part of her job. I'd be more concerned if she didn't mention these issues, at least from an integrity standpoint. Public Relations for the University of Tennessee, or any other school, is not her job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom