Tennessee topics (merged threads) | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Tennessee topics (merged threads)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
First, the"demise" is only temporary. The Lady Vols are simply paying the price of having given the keys to the
Ferrari to Aunt Bee. Holly is apparently completely incapable of doing her job.how could this be?

The mind boggles! Why would you ( or anyone ) think Becky Hammon would be a better candidate to replace Geno than someone ( Shea ) who

The mind boggles! Why would Hammon be considered over Shea? I doubt seriously if knows any more about Women's basketball than Shea!

The mind boggles!!! Why would Becky Hammon be given a job over someone ( Shea ) that Geno will have personally mentored and taught for ten to fifteen years? There is zero chance that Hammon would be hired over Shea Ralph!

Sorry!

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
First, the"demise" is only temporary. The Lady Vols are simply paying the price of having given the keys to the
Ferrari to Aunt Bee. Holly is apparently completely incapable of doing her job.how could this be?

The mind boggles! Why would you ( or anyone ) think Becky Hammon would be a better candidate to replace Geno than someone ( Shea ) who

The mind boggles! Why would Hammon be considered over Shea? I doubt seriously if knows any more about Women's basketball than Shea!

The mind boggles!!! Why would Becky Hammon be given a job over someone ( Shea ) that Geno will have personally mentored and taught for ten to fifteen years? There is zero chance that Hammon would be hired over Shea Ralph!

Wow! Your mind is sure boggling a lot. what would Aunt Bee say?

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
My problem with the Shea candidacy (if indeed she is a candidate), is that her record is unclear.
She gives few interviews, is quoted relatively rarely and appears on the bench with a look of
great concern for the greatest part of every evening.

Can we say with certainty that Geno does not suffer fools gladly, let alone keep an Assistant he isn't really pleased with? I do wish we'd hear from her more often, but it seems the pecking order is Geno, CD and ....? in the press department. As far as that look she adopts on the bench, I suspect she's assigned to keep track of lots of stuff, but I would love to see her look a little more relaxed and happy.

HGN

Reaction Score
I think there will be a slight decline in the programs fortunes as well whenever Geno decides to retire. (Which may not happen for another 10 years.) The question is , how steep of a decline will it be , and how long will it last ?
Barring any health issues , Geno will leave on a high note. A NC won or FF appearance is my guess. And with a couple of AA returning the following year. He will certainly leave the program in good shape for 2-3 years going forward. It then will be up to the successor to recruit with gusto.

I think we are in good shape. The program has time to plan and search out a possible replacement. Unfortunately , UT didn't have that luxury with Summit's sudden illness.

Hopefully the Huskies will be more fortunate.

Reaction Score
Maybe Geno will help out the next coach by crashing and burning a few seasons before he quits. Maybe so poorly that he gets fired so the next coach will have a low bar to leap. We can only hope. :eek:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
UCONN.png
My problem with the Shea candidacy (if indeed she is a candidate), is that her record is unclear. She gives few interviews, is quoted relatively rarely and appears on the bench with a look of great concern for the greatest part of every evening.
Yea I'm with you on this one. If there is one thing this program could desperately use is more interviews by Shea & Marisa. They must be in high heels though-5 inch minimum!
Semi-serious questions: Is the look of concern on the face of Shea any different that the one on Geno's, CD's or Marissa's face?
What in tarnation does that have to do with Shea's coaching credentials?

Last edited:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
!
Semi-serious questions: Is the look of concern on the face of Shea any different that the one on Geno's, CD's or Marissa's face?

Let me preface this by saying for the reasons listed above, I know precious little about Shea.
We all know what a fierce competitor she was
I just went back and watched the replay of the season in which she won her first championship and was relatively healthy.
Lots of on camera interviews; comes across as intelligent, astute, articulate, knowledgable.
That was along time ago, and is the most I've heard her speak.
She may very well be the clear fav for future head.
It may be a slam dunk and she may be completely qualified
But:

Part of the UConn success surely has to do with the complex character of Geno.
He's able to not only be serious but also to laugh at himself and situations that occur on the court.
Shea's virtually 100% grimness of visage during games, scares the living dickens out of me.
There's an element of joyousness, seemingly missing.

Might be fatal.

For the people who are incensed at the thought that it would be folly to go outside the program; bring in a stranger;
I don't buy that argument.
Fresh blood if it is superior, may be the the best way to reinvigorate a program.
And someone like Becky (a bit impish herself), might be ideal.
We all see how it worked out in Tennessee (which is the genesis) of this thread.
The situations seem not to be parallel.
But as I suggest, in my complete ignorance of the coaching process and especially of Shea's contribution and personna,
The little information most of us have is from watching her sitting on the bench, looking pretty miserable most of the time.

Concerns me.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
View attachment 11771
Yea I'm with you on this one. If there is one thing this program could desperately use is more interviews by Shea & Marisa. They must be in high heels though-5 inch minimum!

Is tarnation anywhere near Chapel Hill?

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
ncw_a_ralph01_200.jpg
Let me preface this by saying for the reasons listed above, I know precious little about Shea.
We all know what a fierce competitor she was
I just went back and watched the replay of the season in which she won her first championship and was relatively healthy.
Lots of on camera interviews; comes across as intelligent, astute, articulate, knowledgable.
That was along time ago, and is the most I've heard her speak.
She may very well be the clear fav for future head.
It may be a slam dunk and she may be completely qualified
But:

Part of the UConn success surely has to do with the complex character of Geno.
He's able to not only be serious but also to laugh at himself and situations that occur on the court.
Shea's virtually 100% grimness of visage during games, scares the living dickens out of me.
There's an element of joyousness, seemingly missing.

Might be fatal.

For the people who are incensed at the thought that it would be folly to go outside the program; bring in a stranger;
I don't buy that argument.
Fresh blood if it is superior, may be the the best way to reinvigorate a program.
And someone like Becky (a bit impish herself), might be ideal.
We all see how it worked out in Tennessee (which is the genesis) of this thread.
The situations seem not to be parallel.
But as I suggest, in my complete ignorance of the coaching process and especially of Shea's contribution and personna,
The little information most of us have is from watching her sitting on the bench, looking pretty miserable most of the time.

Concerns me.
This is a picture of Shea laughing at you! As am I! The only thing Fatal about Shea maybe my attraction to her-but I'm in therapy.

Reaction Score
All I was saying the accusation of cheating by Lady Vol fans was not aimed at UConn but OSU. Didn't say either program cheated. Now if Lady Vols lose a big time recruit from the South to UConn again, the talk may start all over again. :)
I think I quoted you accurately, i.e. "UConn likely did not cheat this time". I did not make that up. As I read it the clear implication is that they did cheat in the past. If that was not your intent you missed the boat. And if you were suggesting that it was a quote from TennVol followers I wish you had cited which one because as written it is quite ambiguous. The school/SEC has a history of charging violations against UConn when none existed.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
View attachment 11772
This is a picture of Shea laughing at you! As am I! The only thing Fatal about Shea maybe my attraction to her-but I'm in therapy.

I've seen her laugh/smile once or twice myself
But check out views of the bench tonight
What do we get, 8 or 10 shots
See how many smiles you get
(Great pix, though)

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Haven't noticed anyone commenting on the USA coaches poll this week - TN is down to #22. Should they lose to Vanderbilt (unlikely) I think they would drop from that poll completely - if they win, but then lose to KY and Miss St the following week ... again they might be gone.

Reaction Score
we all know that I am HIGHLY critical of the coaching at TN, but ESPN's agenda of just pushing SO MUCH negativity and speculation about TN was absurd. Even when TN was playing decent (3 of the 4 quarters) they did nothing but continue the pre-game storyline. Doris Burke is so incapable of calling a TN game without personal bias that I don't expect anything else. She was the same way while Parker was at TN. She has a long history. simply put, TN doesn't like Doris and Doris doesn't like TN. Just the reality.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It was end of May and early June which would make the announcements days apart not months as your timeline incorrectly states.

"In May the Buckeyes hired Mark Mitchell, former coach at Taft (Cincinnati), as an assistant women's basketball coach. In June his daughter, 5-foot-11
Chelsea Mitchell, committed to the Buckeyes. She currently is rehabbing from knee surgery."

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwi...-twin-sister-to-ohio-state-for-basketball.htm

20 years of coaching at the HS level- never coached girls or expressed interest in coaching at the college level. The optics and the ethics were/are bad no matter which way you try and slice it. Ask yourself this question: Did Chelsea Mitchell have any Division I offers?

OSU operates like Dale Brown used to at LSU. I don't really care for that modus operandi.

Reaction Score
Successful coaches take advantage of the rules. Pat won her first NC after two of her Olympic teammates transferred to Tenn. Pat had talked to them at the final four and shortly thereafter both enrolled at Tenn. These were players under scholarship to other schools but there was no rule about contacting players from other schools and Pat took advantage of that to improve her team. So when Cornelius or some other LV apologist starts ranting about "the right way" they are nothing but hypocrites.

It's almost automatic that when Tenn loses out on a big recruit that Maria will throw out vague and unsupported accusations of illegal/unethical recruiting.

Reaction Score
Successful coaches take advantage of the rules. Pat won her first NC after two of her Olympic teammates transferred to Tenn. Pat had talked to them at the final four and shortly thereafter both enrolled at Tenn. These were players under scholarship to other schools but there was no rule about contacting players from other schools and Pat took advantage of that to improve her team. So when Cornelius or some other LV apologist starts ranting about "the right way" they are nothing but hypocrites.

It's almost automatic that when Tenn loses out on a big recruit that Maria will throw out vague and unsupported accusations of illegal/unethical recruiting.

You still pay attention to Cornelius? Oy vey!

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
One of the complaints of the vocal Tennessee fans is that AD and the admin are not interested in Woman's sports in general and Lady Vols BB in particular.

It is becoming more difficult to ignore the increasing media frenzy at the Vol's futility.

This evening the Times printed a critical AP story and locally, Dan Fleser, a long-time observer of the team snatched an interview with Holly that continues her trend of making unfortunate remarks to the press that do not include a reasonable scheme for getting the team back on the tracks.

It's hard to believe that if things don't improve quickly, that her tenure can continue past this season.

The administration cannot be so tone-deaf as to permit a national humiliation; drip by drip.

Reaction Score
If you wanted an absolute clone of Geno,look no further than Diana who would use the same attention getting language in practice, be a recruiting magnet wherever she goes,and be just the fiercest x's and o's gametime operator that could ever emulate what Geno has in place now.Shea is a close second but her appearances at amateur events wouldn't cause the same stir that happens with Geno now or would with Diana.This presumes that Diana even wants to coach,but i would bet my neighbor's car that Diana's taking over the program when Geno leaves would result in the least amount of drop-off in program success of any candidate in the Uconn family.I realize that sometimes the great players don't become great coaches,but Diana is different in that it is just not in her dna to accept anything less than all you have to give whether you're a player or a coach.We all saw in her 3 championship years how she practically willed her team to victory in game after game with great skill and making everyone around her a much better player.If she wanted the position i would like to see her succeed Geno more than anyone else.She has that certain IT factor that few have.

CBus13

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
It was end of May and early June which would make the announcements days apart not months as your timeline incorrectly states.

"In May the Buckeyes hired Mark Mitchell, former coach at Taft (Cincinnati), as an assistant women's basketball coach. In June his daughter, 5-foot-11
Chelsea Mitchell, committed to the Buckeyes. She currently is rehabbing from knee surgery."

http://www.maxpreps.com/blogs/maxwi...-twin-sister-to-ohio-state-for-basketball.htm

20 years of coaching at the HS level- never coached girls or expressed interest in coaching at the college level. The optics and the ethics were/are bad no matter which way you try and slice it. Ask yourself this question: Did Chelsea Mitchell have any Division I offers?

Chelsea (committed in June) is the twin sister of Kelsey (the all-american) I attached a link to Kelsey's verbal commitment. So my timeline is correct. He actually was an assistant coach for All-Ohio Girls team, who I believe, won nationals.

I stated in my post that I don't agree with this kind of recruiting. I was just clearing up that it wasn't hours apart.

Reaction Score
It's a "tweet" folks, when somebody makes a statement from their Twitter account it's called a "tweet"... not a twit, or tw*t, twang etc.. :cool: ;)
So you are a tweeter? Or is the plural I should use as in, you're a twit?
cool.png
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member