Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 34 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
I'm saying that I think it's bull that Ollie didn't put in the work. I am not one of the posters who thinks that this class doesn't count as a strong effort simply because they may have been uconn leans. I'm disappointed that Koonz didn't give the staff credit and chose to perpetuate the myth that Enoch was going here no matter what.
You and I see eye-to-eye on a lot of things, but on this particular issue I think you're being touchy. Koonz saying Enoch loved UConn above all isn't the same thing as saying KO & staff didn't do a bunch of work to land him.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
When you get a chance let me know how UConn football is protecting their home turf in recruiting, I'd love to see that argument.

The strawman you built is weak by even Boneyard standards.
Reference was to bb recruiting and BU's POV. UConn is getting a top 30 and top 100 recruit from the region and people are upset that KO can't bring in recruits from other areas.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Reference was to bb recruiting and BU's POV. UConn is getting a top 30 and top 100 recruit from the region and people are upset that KO can't bring in recruits from other areas.
I dont think thats what is being said here. I kind of find myself agreeing with @Stairmaster on this one. Hes not saying KO isnt putting in the work, but more so that those who do not believe there to be an issue with the current recruiting level of the program due to the signing of Adams (Top 30) and Enoch (Top 100), are referencing signings that are misleading.

Adams and Enoch both have been very vocal about their admiration for UConn and the program, essentially these guys SHOULD accept an offer from UConn with little selling from the staff. Meanwhile, outside of these two guys who have essentially stated themselves that they have been long time UConn locks, we have wiffed on every other recruit who did not necessarily have a "dream school" and required a bit of "selling" from the programs courting them. I believe that is what Stairmaster is saying (correct me if Im wrong), but I agree with him and also find it mildly concerning.

For a program with the support, history, tradition, and frankly outright dominance UConn has had in the last 30 years, we should carry a great deal of weight when our staff is out watching recruits or chasing guys on the trail, ESPECIALLY against lesser programs like VCU, UNLV or whoever else has been torching us as of late. Yet it seems UConn finds itself on the meaningless Top 10 lists of many recruits we seek, only to find ourselves cut for lesser schools when the recruits lists his Top 5. The possible reasons include: the staff is casting too wide of a net when it comes to targets making the recruits feel like an afterthought, KO is still inexperienced in the inner workings of high school recruiting and AAU connections having only been coaching at this level for 5-6 years, the deteriorating conference situation, negative recruiting from opposing coaches, or a lack of draw to the university due to weather and campus life not being very attractive. I think all of these factors each play small roles in what we are seeing, but I believe the APR sanctions really hurt us recruiting wise and put us in a hole that we see now, it will take work to get out of this slump but its necessary because it will only snowball as talent deficits will lead to further disappointing seasons which only push recruits away even more. That being said, I trust in KO and truly believe he is the guy for the job long term, we are lucky to have him.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Sure thing. Your comment was the opposite is being argued on the football board and that isn't true.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I dont think thats what is being said here. I kind of find myself agreeing with @Stairmaster on this one. Hes not saying KO isnt putting in the work, but more so that those who do not believe there to be an issue with the current recruiting level of the program due to the signing of Adams (Top 30) and Enoch (Top 100), are referencing signings that are misleading.

Adams and Enoch both have been very vocal about their admiration for UConn and the program, essentially these guys SHOULD accept an offer from UConn with little selling from the staff. Meanwhile, outside of these two guys who have essentially stated themselves that they have been long time UConn locks, we have wiffed on every other recruit who did not necessarily have a "dream school" and required a bit of "selling" from the programs courting them. I believe that is what Stairmaster is saying (correct me if Im wrong), but I agree with him and also find it mildly concerning.

For a program with the support, history, tradition, and frankly outright dominance UConn has had in the last 30 years, we should carry a great deal of weight when our staff is out watching recruits or chasing guys on the trail, ESPECIALLY against lesser programs like VCU, UNLV or whoever else has been torching us as of late. Yet it seems UConn finds itself on the meaningless Top 10 lists of many recruits we seek, only to find ourselves cut for lesser schools when the recruits lists his Top 5. The possible reasons include: the staff is casting too wide of a net when it comes to targets making the recruits feel like an afterthought, KO is still inexperienced in the inner workings of high school recruiting and AAU connections having only been coaching at this level for 5-6 years, the deteriorating conference situation, negative recruiting from opposing coaches, or a lack of draw to the university due to weather and campus life not being very attractive. I think all of these factors each play small roles in what we are seeing, but I believe the APR sanctions really hurt us recruiting wise and put us in a hole that we see now, it will take work to get out of this slump but its necessary because it will only snowball as talent deficits will lead to further disappointing seasons which only push recruits away even more. That being said, I trust in KO and truly believe he is the guy for the job long term, we are lucky to have him.
Thanks for clarifying. There are a lot of points you make that I agree with. Made many of them myself.

Question. Didn't UConn lose a couple of regional kids last recruiting season who claimed the school was their dream school? So if this year we kept two kids we were targeting from the region isn't that an improvement? I don't want to over play this but I don't want to down play it either.

I wonder if other schools lose kids who claim a school is their dream school. Point is I'm not sure that because a kid claims a school is his dream school, it's a given that he will automatically go to that school just because he receives an offer from that school. It certainly facilitates things but I'm sure the staff has to work as hard with them as any recruit to close the deal.

At the very least two players who could have gone to multiple other top schools put to rest that they were concerned about the conference or the coaches. Otherwise they would have done what the negative nellies believe is the case and found a home elsewhere.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score

My initial post was misinterpreted, I think I'm actually on the opposite side of the spectrum from you. I disagree with the notion that our problems with recruiting are because we only got UCONN leans in the early signing period. I don't like how Koonz portrayed Enoch as "only going to UCONN" because it feeds into the motif that is present here on the 'Yard that KO can't get a kid who doesn't already have UCONN as his dream school. Don't get me wrong, I don't think our recruiting is perfect, but the problems with it have nothing to do with the fact that JA and SE had taken a preexisting liking to UCONN.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
Enoch is looking a bit slow even against this competition.

Reaction Score
I'm just curious if anyone knows a little bit about Enoch. Every report I read is different. What are his best skills and is it unreasonable to ask him to play a role in which he averages 15 to 20 mins. If he can rebound and shoot the 3 as some sites say he can maybe he can help space the floor.

Reaction Score
Good one, has post up skills just needs to be stronger with his moves. Can bring the D out as he can shoot it out to the 3 line. Can rebound but will need to learn to box out once he's playing with the men. Think he's a fast learner so he will contribute immediately although how much is up to him.

Okay so here's something on coaching - Jere Quinn had Andre and he was still real raw and not fundamentally sound and it looks the same for Steve according to some. Does he teach anyone anything, seriously?

Reaction Score
Sounds like he is one of the rare big men with the potential to play all over the floor. I know he shoots 3's and i have seen a video of him gliding in on a beautiful finger role and hes a big man of course who rebounds and blocks shots. Potential is the key word here but maybe like a young rawer version of Lamar Odom....

Reaction Score
From the 3 games Ive seen, and what I've been told from people who have seen him up close, I think he is in the similar box as our other bigmen. He has the potential to be something special down the line, but if your expecting something special right away, You are setting yourself up to be very disappointed.

Which is good for a player who was playing JV just 3 years ago.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
These reviews all read similarly to what Phil Nolan's were coming out of high school.

Anyone recall the Bosh comparisons?

Reaction Score
This idea of him shooting threes based on that set shot he has in his videos is dubious. I would imagine he's not going to be dissimilar from any other raw big that comes in. People expecting Lamar Odom or something are going to be disappointed. I'm hoping he can grab a couple rebounds and clean up a couple misses, and defend the post.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
He'll have people clamoring for him to transfer after his first bad game, then he'll have one breakout game and be hyped up as a one-and-done. Basically the usual.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I think by his second year he will be a 10 pt 8 board guy. If he can come in and rebound, block shots, and develop a back to the hoop move hell be good the first year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom