Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn) | Page 32 | The Boneyard

Steven Enoch (Committed to UConn)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
He had the good stat line and looked good, and in a lot of inside defensive matchups he was paired against a big body, (Mathias), at 6'11 at least 280, who was trying to back him down. He held his own. He had a couple jump hooks flipping the ball 4-5 feet over outstretched defenders, he had a foul line jumper, and several impressive dunks on rebounds. He runs well. I said in another thread that he reminds me a bit of Nakesha Sales brother Brooke Sales that played for Nova. I was real pleased with him. Keep in mind the flow of the game was extremely fast so how you look depends on the guards. Thon Maker was a pretty player with only 4 points or so until crunch time of his game if the guards aren't in flow with their bigs. Enoch was so comfortable in the flow from the first minute, I didn't realize I might be just catching his 'A' game. He took no plays off. But don't confuse good play with being a dominate big.

How can we confuse that Ricker, we don't know what a good big is never mind a dominant one? LOL.

Thanks again

Reaction Score
The hoophall writeup linked by tcf15 is a perfect set of observations on that game. Great link, and that writer captures the crowd's oohs and aahs.

Reaction Score

Looks like he had 18 points and 7 rebounds.

With just over a minute of highlights wouldn't you stay away from a missed dunk attempt? He twanged one off the rim at the 50 sec. mark. ???

Reaction Score
With all due respect, and I certainly hope that its true, I will believe it when I see it done in a UConn uniform. We have heard this before.

Reaction Score
With just over a minute of highlights wouldn't you stay away from a missed dunk attempt? He twanged one off the rim at the 50 sec. mark. ???

Kind of like that highlight, leave it. Shows his aggressiveness and that's a good thing.

Reaction Score
Kind of like that highlight, leave it. Shows his aggressiveness and that's a good thing.
There were saying that the ball ended up hitting a light fixture. Sounds like a pretty ferocious dunk attempt.

Reaction Score
He would outplay Nolan today and be second off the bench. Facey doesn't have his strength and bulk. AB may be a better shot blocker but Enoch would be tougher to body inside and maybe he would finish better. He had 6 inches on his defender in the video.

Reaction Score
For those who are wondering: 7'3 wingspan for Enoch
That's huge, on par with the top centers in the 2015 class.

Stone: 7-foot-3.5
Zimmerman: 7-foot-3
Labissiere: 7-foot-1
Diallo: 7-foot-3
Ellenson: 7-foot-1.5
Swanigan: 7-foot-3
Davis: 7-foot-1.5

Reaction Score
He would outplay Nolan today and be second off the bench. Facey doesn't have his strength and bulk. AB may be a better shot blocker but Enoch would be tougher to body inside and maybe he would finish better. He had 6 inches on his defender in the video.

He's still learning the game and really needs to hit the weight room hard. E's made great strides primarily on defense and can position himself for rebounds much better than november. He relies a lot on the jump hook because he's usually on the block. When he plays the four he will usually get a good look on his jumper out to the 3 point area...........this doesn't happen often.
He isn't getting bodied down as much as before and competes just about all the time now.........we probably won't see the finished product until the end of his sophomore year but if he can play facing the basket primarily he should be a force ...of course that depends on how hard he hits the weight room.

Reaction Score
There were saying that the ball ended up hitting a light fixture. Sounds like a pretty ferocious dunk attempt.

You could see it went far up in the building. Everyone was looking up for a few seconds. Okay, I like it.

Reaction Score

Ah, the yearly ritual where we take a highlight video of a raw high school kid playing other high school kids and declare the kid an impact player from day one, thus ensuring that he is immediately roasted when he suits up for UConn when we realize that high school highlight videos rarely translate to immediate, consistent positive impact at the college level. A tradition like no other.

Incidentally, I don't think being six inches taller than your defender is a "talent" that translates to college, and if it does doesn't that mean Brimah is even better than Enoch?

Reaction Score
These late bloomers like Enoch quite often end up being the very best recruits. It's probably not out of the question to think that this kid could be on a Emeka Okafor like trajectory. He's only 17!

Rashamel Jones is someone that comes to mind as an example of an early bloomer who had little room to grow after he entered college.

Reaction Score
Ah, the yearly ritual where we take a highlight video of a raw high school kid playing other high school kids and declare the kid an impact player from day one, thus ensuring that he is immediately roasted when he suits up for UConn when we realize that high school highlight videos rarely translate to immediate, consistent positive impact at the college level. A tradition like no other.

Incidentally, I don't think being six inches taller than your defender is a "talent" that translates to college, and if it does doesn't that mean Brimah is even better than Enoch?

There is also the other yearly ritual where someone throws cold water on the fans who are making their optimistic projections. That group is no better than the former. The fact that we have 4 national championships in 16 year shows that quite often the optimistic projections have been warranted. Lets not forget that Enoch has a heck of an offer list, so there are indeed a lot of experts who are projecting great success for him.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

You're not catching on, he had an advantage on his defender who looked shorter and pretty easy in the game, but he already has something Brimah, Facey and Nolan don't have and that looks to be athleticism with a sturdy body which is helpful down low. We don't know at this point what he will do, but it doesn't have to be much to bypass Phil. I see him playing alongside AB and when he's out with Facey.

Reaction Score
There is also the other yearly ritual where someone throws cold water on the fans who are making their optimistic projections. That group is no better than the former. The fact that we have 4 national championships in 16 year shows that quite often the optimistic projections have been warranted. Lets not forget that Enoch has a heck of an offer list, so there are indeed a lot of experts who are projecting great success for him.

I think there is a difference between projecting good things for him and declaring him already better than the big men on the current roster.

Reaction Score
There is also the other yearly ritual where someone throws cold water on the fans who are making their optimistic projections. That group is no better than the former.

See, I would argue that the people who urge caution when saying that kids playing in high school games aren't necessarily better than kids playing high level D1 basketball, because once upon a time those kids had their own high school mix tapes, and that we shouldn't inflate expectations that will inevitably be used as fuel to tear a kid down when he doesn't immediately replicate his high school achievements are, in fact, better. Only because it's something we see basically every season. In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the kids that you're ________ on during games in the chat are the very same kids that you were probably calling better than the last crop of UConn players. But to each his own.

Reaction Score
In fact, I'd be willing to bet that the kids that you're ________ on during games in the chat are the very same kids that you were probably calling better than the last crop of UConn players. But to each his own.

You have me confused with someone else. I don't chat during games, nor do I _____ on the players.

Reaction Score
I think there is a difference between projecting good things for him and declaring him already better than the big men on the current roster.

Good Point, I may have misinterpreted the post I was responding to, my bad. I do think Enoch looks like a very promising recruit.

Reaction Score
Just FYI - the six inches on the defender was a good play taking advantage of a momentary mismatch like you are supposed to. It was not the matchup that existed in most of the game. He was matched against Tyrique Jones at 6'9 at times, against 6'11 280lb Samuel Mathias, and at times was the only big vs both the others at the same time. I would put absolutely zero weight on the thought that he was performing against smaller players. And, those smaller players could jump to the top of the box on the backboard in any event. PS the missed dunk did hit the light fixture on the open ceiling.

Reaction Score
Some other numbers...

247 updated rankings
Adams #53 overall, 4 star (not sure why he dropped this low from #32)

Rivals (last updated Oct. 22 2014)
Adams #25 overall, 5 star
Enoch #60 overall, 4 star

ESPN
Adams #24 overall, 4 star
Enoch #99 overall, 4 star

**247 has us with the 20th best recruiting class as of now. If we can get Stone/Dorsey (BIG if), this will be a top 5-7 class in the nation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom