Starting point guard | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Starting point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Paige had a truly exceptional season during her freshman year but it did not measure up to Clark's season--Clark was an even more dynamic scorer and she took down one of the best teams this decade in S.C. Clark got the "hype" because she was the hype... Clark is the equivalent of Paige and then some...
Paige was just a freshman. According to reports, she was playing her best basketball just before her ACL injury.

Reaction Score
I recently rewatched almost every game Paige played in at UConn, and she’s not as good as Nika is at this. Nika pushes every single time without fail, it’s automatic. Paige prefers to walk it up, she can push and when she does it can be spectacular but she’s not at Nikas level with pushing pace.
I want Nika to start as point guard and Paige to be the shooting guard, but the difference you are bringing up is not related to skill. If Geno wants Paige to push the ball up like Nika, Paige can do it. In the end it’s Geno’s decision. Paige is the better point guard in almost every way or maybe in every way.

Reaction Score
In the Iowa game, Nika was the only UConn player that played 40 minutes and was the person that hindered Clark so much that she whined about her in the huddle that she needed her teammates to get that #10 off her back. As for the Aubrey being the better perimeter defender it depends on who she is guarding. Nika was usually guarding the opposing team PG, while Aubrey was usually guarding the 3 or 4 position player, both got 50 steals last season. Nika was one of only 4 players on the team that had more assists than T/O's, 284 to 127. The other 3 were Dorka 92 to 60, Ines 29 to 25, and Azzi 29 to 26, Aubrey had 44 to 64.
In fact for anyone in interested watching that game again they can get the direct quote Holly reported I belevei it was at end of 3rd quarter/ to start the 4th or maybe just after that during a huddle Clark was telling her teammates that Muhl was all over her and she needed her teammates help to get Muhl out of her face.

It's a direct quote during the game. Vs a super elite player in which the super player made the comment.

Reaction Score
A healthy Paige will simply not allow anyone to take over her position as starting point guard for a champion UConn WBB Team!
What???

She ":alowed" it her freshman year. Did you miss the whole 2nd half of her freshman year and miss the South Carolina game in her freshman year when she played near the whole game off the ball while Nika was the pg?

Reaction Score
To start the game and for 20+ minutes there will be 3 guards on the floor, Nika, Paige, and Azzi. Any of the 3 can bring the ball up the court, but more often than not it will be Nika throwing dimes to whoever is on the break or cutting. Why is this so outlandish and controversial?

Is Paige a great PG? Yes. She also a great SG. I don't think her productivity drops off at all at the SG position. In fact, I'll go out on a limb and say that it's better if Paige gets the first pass rather than makes the first pass. The same with Azzi.

At the other end of the court, how many of these 3 guards have been BE DPOY and done it twice? All the more reason to believe there will be 3 guards on the court.

Reaction Score
Nika is a very good 6th or 7th player, but she doesnt have the skill set required of a PG on a starting Title team. Paige should play "point" - similar to Caitlin Clark - and if KK is as good as advertised, she'll get meaningful minutes at the point as well. Title teams have to be able to score in multiple ways or else a good defensive team will lock down on our weaknesses. This has been UConn's achilles heel for most of the past 10 years in FF games.

Dislike

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
I dont think that Geno will start a freshman to start the season. We have players with experience that have paid their dues. They have earned their playtime. They most likely will start while our freshman and underclassman gain experience and earn their minutes without the undue pressure of having to be depended on which only adds undue pressure to their development. Nika or Paige will start at the point. Ines and KK are next in line. They are point guards. Azzi can play the point but is more effective as a shooter so she will play at her strength which is a position where she can shoot. Nika has earned her minutes. She is a hard nosed defender and can do alot of things however she is was not a scorer in past years which has allowed defenses to play off her and double down on other players. Nika will get her minutes however Paige imo will get more minutes. Both are leaders however Paige was the NPOY and NFOY.

Geno will start the season with an experienced lineup. Underclassman will be worked in based on their ability to learn the system and play with confidence. Paige Azzi and Aaliyah are going to start. Nika Griff and Caroline have experience and understand the system. They will see alot of playtime.

There is no reason to start underclassman who have little experience at the college level and put undue pressure on them to perform. Unless you are a DT Stewie or Maya type player you will have to earn your minutes. As the season progresses each player will be worked into the lineup as Geno sees fit. I dont know if any of you have looked at the roster but I noticed Amari is listed at 6'6. Once her herniated disk is healed we may finally see her get minutes. At 6'6 she could be a force underneath on defense.

I feel that UConns health problems have been healed for the most part. We havent heard anything that would make us think otherwise so I will go with that. We are healthy enough to play without fear.

UConn has two generational players. UConn also has Aaliyah and Caroline who are very good scorers. There is no reason to expect anything less then a number 1 ranking and NC this season . No other team has a Paige and Azzi. Not even close. Depending on how healthy we stay and our underclassman develop we could go undefeated this season and completely dominate WCBB. I say that because we are not over rated. If anything we are under rated. We have the talent to be really really good, and depending on how our newbies develop we could be one of the best UConn teams we've seen in a while.

Reaction Score
I like the 3 point guard lineup: Nika Paige Azzi, along side Caroline and Aaliyah.

Not big enough, you say? I suspect opposing teams will have to go small to deal with it.

Need more D in a pinch? Bring in Aubrey.
Need more muscle? Bring in Ice or Jana or Ayanna or Amari.
Need more speed? Inês and KK are ready.
Need to give one of our shooters a breather? Ashlynn and Qadence are ready.

It’s like a law firm:” Bueckers Fudd & Muhl LLC, We got you covered.”

Reaction Score
I like the 3 point guard lineup: Nika Paige Azzi, along side Caroline and Aaliyah.

Not big enough, you say? I suspect opposing teams will have to go small to deal with it.

Need more D in a pinch? Bring in Aubrey.
Need more muscle? Bring in Ice or Jana or Ayanna or Amari.
Need more speed? Inês and KK are ready.
Need to give one of our shooters a breather? Ashlynn and Qadence are ready.

It’s like a law firm:” Bueckers Fudd & Muhl LLC, We got you covered.”
Love it!! LOL

Reaction Score
Paige —if healthy can be equivalent to Caitlin Clark who is changing the college game and getting millions of viewers. I cannot tell you how many men viewers she brought to the college game last year.
10 million viewers
Caitlin destroyed the Ohio State press in 3 minutes and we looked like a grade school team or a deer In headlights !!!
Nika will have a big part of next years success, but will not deliver number 12 and if Paige is healthy - she needs to have the ball in her hands
Many boneyards have expressed that Nika does not need to score to win - but last year defenses did not guard her and doubled teamed our bigs and led to many loses and a disappointing finish
The last sentence was true only because all the shooters were down. This year I would expect more driving to the basket and dishing to the outside and Nika can go to the basket against anyone. Also I didn't think the OSU press was as much a problem in the back court as the TOs once they broke the press. They also missed a ton of open shots I don't see them missing with all the stars healthy.

Paige is also not Caitlin Clark. Her game is totally different and people watch CC because she shoots from half court on a regular basis and can actually make some of them. Paige is a great player but in more a traditional sense. She can hit big shots, she is a great passer but most importantly she is a great leader.

Reaction Score
Nika is the two time defensive player of the year in the conference so I don't see her on the bench. She isn't a great shooter but can drive to the basket with anyone so I see her at the point on the break and Paige and Azzi filling the wings for the three. Once they are in the half court they run a motion offense so I don't know that the point is a truly defined position.

The real mystery will be the 5th spot. Will they go with the quickness of Aubrey or more size on the inside? When healthy this team has a lot of really good options regardless of how they decide to approach the opponent.

Reaction Score

She doesn't have to attack it that much. The others can becuase the lane should be very open.

The college game is not pros in which one-on-one hoop rules the day.

She attacked a little this year and will pobbaly attack a little more but not much. But if the lane is open for others ot atack in whch they are the primary scorers, then why does Nika need to atack much?

Reaction Score
I want Nika to start as point guard and Paige to be the shooting guard, but the difference you are bringing up is not related to skill. If Geno wants Paige to push the ball up like Nika, Paige can do it. In the end it’s Geno’s decision. Paige is the better point guard in almost every way or maybe in every way.
Paige could push the ball up the court but clearly she doesn't if it isn't a coaching mandate. I realize some of that is because Paige plays heavy minutes. She probably could push the ball all the time if her minutes were reduced. Nika played heavy minutes last year, pushed the pace all the time and maintained all out defensive intensity at the same time.

One difference is we didn't press much due to injuries and a limited bench. I hope that all changes this year, not just push the pace on offense, but press on defense as well. That might limit our best players to more like 30 minutes a game which is fine as long as the substitutes are very high quality too and we are at the same time exhausting the other team's starters, and forcing them to rely on far inferior benches more.

If our bench is much better than our opponents, by an even bigger margin than comparing starters, then a fast paced game on both ends making more of the game a battle between the benches is to our advantage.

Also the question is not, nor has it ever been, who is the best PG overall. Even the start Nika crowd believes Paige is a better overall PG than Nika. The relevant comparison for the starting Nika debate is Caroline or Aubrey, not Paige. Paige and Azzi are going to start, that is a universal opinion. The question is Nika, Caroline or Aubrey for the third guard.

Because of Aubrey's lack of a perimeter shot and the fact we may need her to play upfront more this year, most view her best role as a great 3/4 backup. That leaves Nika vs. Caroline, and regardless of who that is, that player will be at their natural position, either PG for Nika or SF for Caroline. Nika's value off the point goes down a great deal, Paige's does not.

Because she is so good and so versatile Paige could be an All American at three positions. If Nika starts with Paige, Nika should be the principle PG, that has already been demonstrated in their first two years when they played together. Further when it comes to who plays the 3, Paige is a better choice than Azzi, although most reverse that pairing for reasons I don't understand. Even though they are both listed at 5-11, clearly Paige is taller, longer, and a much better rebounder and shot blocker.

Finally I prefer Nika as the PG not Paige, because of how great and versatile Paige is., and the focus of this discussion should really be on Nika vs. other alternatives, mostly Caroline who has ongoing injury concerns, is coming off a disappointing season, and clearly has more question marks at least at this point than Nika. Nika is also a senior, and clearly the leader on offense and defense for the team last year.

Paige can have a great great season whether she starts at PG or not. She will play some at all three guard positions and be excellent at all of them. In fact Paige's versatility can enable the other smalls to all play the vast majority of their minutes at their best position, Nika at the 1, Azzi the 2, Caroline at the 3, KK at the 1, Ashlynn the 2, Q the 3, and Aubrey when she isn't used upfront at the 3.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm looking forward to seeing KK get plenty of opportunities to play.
Paige will need a player like KK to pass to & so will Nika.
KK's a dynamo & if Paige or Nika ever miss time then KK will be UConn's best hope for success.
IMO by the end of this season KK will become one of UConn's top 3 guards behind only Paige & Azzi.
She dazzles with her ball handling, speed & slashing ability.
And she does it with a smile on her face.
She may come off the bench, but she'll get more PT if she's productive. & as game circumstances dictate.

Also:
KK Arnold Senior Highlights #basketball #uconn #womensbasketball

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well, if nothing else the great Point Guard debate has generated a lot of Boneyard posts for the last three seasons and I suspect it will continue for at least another two. Such it the offseason. ;)

Reaction Score
Well, if nothing else the great Point Guard debate has generated a lot of Boneyard posts for the last three seasons and I suspect it will continue for at least another two. Such it the offseason. ;)
Exactly, and the past few years Nika has been at the center of the maelstrom. Has any other player ever generated this much debate on the BY? It’d be interesting to compare stats, if we kept any.

Think how bored we’d all be if we didn’t have Nika to argue about!

And when we get tired of this topic, someone will have to start a Paige vs Caitlin thread. I think we got this summer covered.

Reaction Score
The bold is not true at all. IMo way off. Paige is without a doubt far superior far superior to Aubrey. And it's not close. Aubrey can't shoot well. No matter what else she deos, Paige's Offense at that spot is far far superior/way more offsets any impact Aubrey can overall produce.

With Caroline - she just hasn't played a full season yet so I won't say "far superior.." I'll leave it blank because I of the degree of impact is hard to characterize. Paige si a phenom at 1/2/3 spots. What was the big differecne betwen Paige playing SG or SF her freshman year vs Cwill? Did CWill guard the quicker player? SO if that were true it may have meant Paige gaurded the taller/more isnide-oreinted wing player on the other team?

And on Offense in UCONN's motion offense, how much differecne is there betwen Paige being as 2 or 3 back in her forsh year? In this case we couldn't have referred to them as Wings? Why not?
Let’s just play three! That way Paige can be the backcourt by herself! Starting lineup; Paige, Aaliyah, Ice, everyone else can be backups.:rolleyes: You lost me here! I’m not sure what your point is. I believe I and most others acknowledge Paige as likely the best player we have at three different positions. The question (since she can only play one at a time) is where is she best suited to play that maximizes both her play, her effect on the rest of the team and, allows for the best overall complementary players around her? In other words, if you put Paige at each of the starting Pg, Sg, Sf/W/third guard positions, what four players around her in each of those scenarios would constitute our best team. I happen to believe it would be with her (Paige) at the point guard position.
Paige, Azzi, Caroline, Aaliyah, Ice would be my starters. Could this change according to opponent’s strengths and weaknesses? Of course!

Reaction Score

You can’t attack the basket if the defense in crowding the paint. And without 3 point shooting, the defense will crowd the paint. Now that the team is healthy, the defense won’t be able to crowd.

Reaction Score
Good points. But like a few people have stated, Nika's minutes will go down because we will have a full roster, if everyone is fully healthy. Also, Nika doesn't have to do a lot of scoring with as much offensive scoring power we have, depending on who is on the floor. Having a point guard that is a scoring threat helps but a lot depends on the roster around that point guard.

One of my all-time favorite point guards in college or pro (Women's Basketball) Ticha Penicheiro wasn't a scoring threat. She knew the game and the personel around her. She could hit a bucket or two, much like Nika, when the team needed a bucket. Otherwise, Ticha was cool getting that assist. In college she scored more only because Old Dominion needed her to score. At UConn, we don't need Nika to be scoring point guard.

Dawn Staley had to be a scoring point guard because of what Virginia had around her and the coach wanted Dawn to be a scoring point guard.

A more current list of point guards.

Caitlin Clark- Scoring point guard. Because that is what her coach wants and you would be a hot mess if you tried to change that about Caitlin. I pray for the coach at the next level who tries to change that about Caitlin.

Deja Kelly- Scoring point guard. Like Caitlin, this is what her coach wants out of Deja.

Olivia Miles- Same as the other players.

Nika does not have to score a lot. She is going to get buckets because of whatever personnel is on the floor, it is going to open up the basket for Nika to get buckets. A lot just depends on the players on the floor and what those players bring to the court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom