Starting point guard | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Starting point guard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Caroline has many talents but point guard-level ball handling isn’t one of them. We saw that last season.

Paige/Nika/KK are the designated PGs
Completely agree. Caroline also lacks the quickness you’d like to see at PG. Maybe in a pinch or to break a press she can cover that spot if needed, sort of like having Aaliyah help break a press. She might bring stability in a crisis, but not the multifaceted offensive threat we’d want to see at that position for an entire quarter.

I’d also add Inês and KK to the designated PG list. If they make it onto the floor at all — I think they will — it will be as PGs. I can’t see using them at SG or W.

Also, thinking about the recurring sentiment that Nika proved herself last season, I share this view. She expanded her offense with a new willingness to drive and finish at the rim, which was very effective in several games. She still lacked the midrange game and I hope she can add that to her arsenal this season.

But even though Nika proved herself last season, I think it’s a mistake to say that what she did then has earned the starting spot for this season. Geno doesn’t seem to think this way, namely that a previous season can earn a player a spot. She’ll need to earn it again in the fall in practice. I have little doubt she will, just because of the ferocity she’ll bring to the task. And even if she doesn’t, and comes off the bench instead, that’s great news for the team because it will mean someone else has made a leap. Can you picture having two players with that much ferocity?

And speaking of alternative PGs, I actually like Azzi in that spot as much as Paige. They are both excellent ball handlers and both know how to draw the defense towards themselves and then find the open player. I think this means we’ll see dual Paige-Azzi PG set for stretches in most games. It won’t have the defensive punch of a Nika set, but it will be awesome offensively.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It will be 1 of two options not in order. Too many wildcards with injury. Below is the pg/sg/sf combo if Paige and Azzi are healthy. Imo Caroline is even more of a wildcard:

1--- Paige/Azzi/Caroline
2--- Nika,Azzi/Paige
Agree with this, and I vote for the second option. Importantly you have Paige at SF in that combination. If those are the three starters at those positions, Paige is far more logical at the 3 than Azzi, a point forward if you will. They are listed at the same height but Paige is obviously taller, significantly longer, a better shot blocker and much better rebounder.

Nika is best used as a one position player, Azzi is more versatile but still much better at SG than PG or SF. Paige could be an all American at any of the three. Caroline more 3 than 2, and whether Aubrey is more 3 or 4 could be a good debate, but she is clearly more 3 than 2.

With that Nika/Azzi/Paige combination starting you can keep Nika and Azzi at their natural position not just at the start, but for all the time they are in the game. Paige can play at all three positions during the game, and Caroline and Aubrey can almost always play their best position at the 3.

For example if Nika comes out first, Caroline comes in at the 3 and Paige moves to the point. A few minutes later Nika returns and Azzi gets a blow with Paige moving to Azzi's 2 spot. Then when Azzi returns Paige gets her rest. If Caroline needs a break Aubrey can provide a few minutes at the 3 and still be available for use at the 4 behind Aaliyah if needed. When back to the starting lineup Paige is back at the 3.

Now obviously KK Ashlynn and Q could force Geno to play them and I hope they do, because I hope to see more pressing and let Geno have the flexibility for more situational substitutions etc. My point is with a very structured substitution pattern, taking out Nika a little early and Paige a little later than you might otherwise, you can keep Nika, Azzi, Caroline at their best position, mostly by playing Paige at all three with occasional help from Aubrey at the 3.

If everyone is healthy that is a potent combination and short rotation, with the main downside being you have to time all the rotations precisely to make it work, not as much based on when that player needs a rest, or what traits or skills are needed depending on the game. If somebody from the freshmen class or Ines is ready for the rotation then you can improve on that, and add situational substitutions and more strategy choices to Geno's options

Hopefully at least one and maybe two can do that, so even if one of our main guards are out we are still in very good shape.

Reaction Score
I would like to see Nika start as the 1, Paige and Azzi beeing two # 2, with no #3, at least for the start of the season to see how it works.
With thess three, the advantage is they can all carry the ball, but Paige & Azzi are more willing to shoot and they both can create their shot

Reaction Score
Another consideration is how much better Nika could be this year than last. At the beginning of the season even without Paige, she combined with two great shooters, Azzi and Lou. She was leading the country in assists against our usual strong early season out of conference competition.

After Azzi's injury hit, her assists came down quite a bit, the team struggled more to get the ball inside as much as they had previously, and the offense in general suffered. For much of that stretch Aubrey was at the 3, and Lou was the only great outside shooter. She drew the defensive attention and we were not able to spread the floor as well.

if Nika has Azzi and Paige as her wing options that is more like the beginning of last year when she had two great perimeter options, the floor was spread, you couldn't concentrate on just one perimeter threat, and the ball was getting inside easily. When Aubrey does play the 3 this year, it probably would be better to have Paige at the point so two great shooters were in the game, but between Azzi, Paige and Caroline, Nika will have great options almost all the time.

sun

Reaction Score
Changes will be made as the season progresses with an eye towards increasing Paige's role over time.
I think there will be some of the "just go" mentality from last year to help keep the opponents off balance.
A combination of PG's/ ball handlers including KK would be used to help defeat any full court presses.
There's going to be an effort to limit turnovers and to help implement a 3 level offense.
Everyone is going to get PT so who starts at the PG position doesn't really matter very much.
Players will get yanked if they make mistakes, to help lessen fatigue, to develop chemistry among all players & to maximize team depth.
By the end of the season, Paige will be playing the lead fiddle when it comes to distributing the ball.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Nika starts as the PG. Paige and Azzi will probably the 2 & 3 - if healthy.

Caroline is not a PG. Her ball handling skills are not close to Nika or Paige. And don't forget Inez and KK.

Reaction Score
Nice analysis @oldhuskie. I had always assumed Geno used a structured substitution pattern like you describe. But looking back now, maybe there were times when he wasn’t able to. Last season, of course, would make such a pattern hard to sustain anyway. But returning to one would be a good sign.

If I think about what we had in Paige’s freshman season, the lineup often looked like 1-2-2-2-4 or even 1-2-2-3-5. It might be easier this season to run 2-2-2-4-4 or 1-3-3-4-5 or 1-3-3-3-4 given the athletes we have at the 3, like Aubrey Caroline Qadence and even Paige, as you suggest.

Reaction Score
Completely agree. Caroline also lacks the quickness you’d like to see at PG. Maybe in a pinch or to break a press she can cover that spot if needed, sort of like having Aaliyah help break a press. She might bring stability in a crisis, but not the multifaceted offensive threat we’d want to see at that position for an entire quarter.

I’d also add Inês and KK to the designated PG list. If they make it onto the floor at all — I think they will — it will be as PGs. I can’t see using them at SG or W.

Also, thinking about the recurring sentiment that Nika proved herself last season, I share this view. She expanded her offense with a new willingness to drive and finish at the rim, which was very effective in several games. She still lacked the midrange game and I hope she can add that to her arsenal this season.

But even though Nika proved herself last season, I think it’s a mistake to say that what she did then has earned the starting spot for this season. Geno doesn’t seem to think this way, namely that a previous season can earn a player a spot. She’ll need to earn it again in the fall in practice. I have little doubt she will, just because of the ferocity she’ll bring to the task. And even if she doesn’t, and comes off the bench instead, that’s great news for the team because it will mean someone else has made a leap. Can you picture having two players with that much ferocity?

And speaking of alternative PGs, I actually like Azzi in that spot as much as Paige. They are both excellent ball handlers and both know how to draw the defense towards themselves and then find the open player. I think this means we’ll see dual Paige-Azzi PG set for stretches in most games. It won’t have the defensive punch of a Nika set, but it will be awesome offensively.
I agree with your post, but I have some reservations about the last paragraph. I would love to see Azzi as point guard. I’m sure she could handle it. I would be surprised if it happened much. She is so valuable as a shooting guard. Paige and Nika have demonstrated better court vision, passing, and ball handling, and both are stronger and more vocal leaders. Still, I would like to see Azzi try the point and prove me wrong.

Reaction Score
I agree with your post, but I have some reservations about the last paragraph. I would love to see Azzi as point guard. I’m sure she could handle it. I would be surprised if it happened much. She is so valuable as a shooting guard. Paige and Nika have demonstrated better court vision, passing, and ball handling, and both are stronger and more vocal leaders. Still, I would like to see Azzi try the point and prove me wrong.
You make a good point. Azzi was effectively the PG for long stretches of the Texas game and she still scored 32. But I agree that she’s not the vocal leader Paige and Nika are and that really matters. That is, Azzi can still score from the point, but we lose something anyway. This is why I really like the idea of Nika starting at PG. She took an injury wracked team and practically willed it to many great victories with her voice and her legs and her raw ferocity. Those early games against Texas and NC St and Iowa, and later Tennessee and even the close game against SC. No way we win those games (or even stay close) without her barking out directions at the point. I think of the Princeton and MD games (with a shudder) when I want to think about where we’d have been without Nika. We managed to hold off Princeton and kept close to MD, but the team was clearly handcuffed without her.

sun

Reaction Score
After winning the Big East Tourney, Geno both praised Nika for her work ethic & then criticized her for her inability to finish at the rim.
And we all know what happened to UConn in the NCAAT.
I think that will open up an opportunity for KK to earn some PT, especially if she proves to be more coachable than Nika & because she's the #5 recruit in the nation.
It's a long season & KK can become an important contributor if she progresses rapidly, especially if she can draw fouls & generate points when needed.
That would take some pressure off Azzi & Paige.

Geno Auriemma described UConn and Nika Muhl as selfish - See Her Response and Why UConn is UConn

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You make a good point. Azzi was effectively the PG for long stretches of the Texas game and she still scored 32. But I agree that she’s not the vocal leader Paige and Nika are and that really matters. That is, Azzi can still score from the point, but we lose something anyway. This is why I really like the idea of Nika starting at PG. She took an injury wracked team and practically willed it to many great victories with her voice and her legs and her raw ferocity. Those early games against Texas and NC St and Iowa, and later Tennessee and even the close game against SC. No way we win those games (or even stay close) without her barking out directions at the point. I think of the Princeton and MD games (with a shudder) when I want to think about where we’d have been without Nika. We managed to hold off Princeton and kept close to MD, but the team was clearly handcuffed without her.
I’ll have to go back and watch that game. Nika played 38 minutes. If Azzi was effectively the PG for long stretches, what was Nika doing?

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
How many years did Bird and Taurasi play together? Did it matter who the PG was? It's possible to have more than 1 PG at a time on the floor. 2 is fairly common actually. I'm pretty sure I've even seen 3 at a time.
This.^ I said in another thread that I think it's wonderful that UConn could have two point guards on the floor at all times, among Nika, Paige, Ines, and KK. It won't be all the time, but they have the option, and it might be something like 30 minutes a game.

UConn was bothered by pressure last year. The ball got stuck frequently. Having two designated ball handlers/passers/decision makers on the floor would go a long way to solving those problems.

Oh, and my vote is Nika and Paige as the starting point guards.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I think our board puts an over reliance on labels. We have three proven players who would start as a point guard on most other teams, Paige, Nika, and Azzi. All three are going to have point guard like moments. If you are talking about who is going to bring the ball up when there isn't a break opportunity, that's probably Nika, but I expect whomever of these three gets the ball in their hands will start the break.

The big take away is that we have the depth not to force people to play close to 40 minutes. While most of our veteran players have the stamina to do that, it wears on you over a season. Some of the best Auriemma teams had stars playing relatively low minutes due to depth. That is my hope for the season. "Everybody eats" and everyone stays healthy.

I think this is going to be a very special team playing exciting basketball that is going to be an absolute joy to watch. we have the personnel to spread the floor, or which will allow us to have great ball movement, open looks, and open driving lanes. Keep your fingers crossed that everyone stays healthy and buckle up your seatbelts. It is going to be a fun ride.

(We're still doomed.)

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Paige —if healthy can be equivalent to Caitlin Clark who is changing the college game and getting millions of viewers. I cannot tell you how many men viewers she brought to the college game last year.
IMO, Paige did the same thing as a freshman but she didn't get the hype about "changing the women's game" because it was expected of her. And she did not fail anyone.
So in my opinion, Caitlin is almost the equivalent of Paige. Period.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
I can't envision a starting 5 that doesn't include (in no particular order) Nika, Paige, Azzi ("point and shooting guards") and Aaliyah.
The 5th I believe will be Aubrey but only because she is the senior upperclassman and has earned it.

Reaction Score
IMHO Nika will be the PG, Paige will be the SG, Azzi will be the Wing, Aubrey will be the SF, and Aaliyah will be the PF!
Geno really uses no positions as every player has a share in the total offense.
I also feel Caroline as a G/W and Ice as PF/C will be the first off the bench!
Geno will be using more players in his rotation this season as his trust goes 10 or 11 deep, maybe even 12 deep!
With the athletes Geno has (if healthy) he'll run and gun and press or a more aggressive defense all game!
I just don't see Aburey starting, she is just too limited offensively. She, to me, is the perfect person off the bench as the 6th player. If the last starter isn't Ice or Jana, I expect Geno to go with a 4 out system and start Caroline as the defacto 4 and play a lot at the high post.

Reaction Score
I’ll have to go back and watch that game. Nika played 38 minutes. If Azzi was effectively the PG for long stretches, what was Nika doing?
Texas pressed much of the game and Geno used Azzi to break it.

Reaction Score
I just don't see Aburey starting, she is just too limited offensively. She, to me, is the perfect person off the bench as the 6th player. If the last starter isn't Ice or Jana, I expect Geno to go with a 4 out system and start Caroline as the defacto 4 and play a lot at the high post.
I look at Aubrey as a starter, based on her defensive ability and quickness. Again, I am going with the mindset of Coach G pressing, 40 minutes of Hell, so that he could utilize his bench and that depth. If we go Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, and Aaliyah, small ball lineup. We got two snipers in Paige and Azzi on the wings. Nika, the pick-pocket magician. We got the slasher in Aubrey. And lastly Aaliyah. Drag screen/Pick and Pop action.

Nothing against Ice or Jana. If they are as good as we think they are, that is just going to make this team even more dangerous in terms of the depth that UConn can throw at teams to create mismatch opportunities. Throw in a healthy Caroline and the Fab Freshmen coming in. Plus, seasoned Ines, Ayanna, and Amari. If we open up and use the depth of this roster, this team could be "Nasty" as Azzi would say. But we shall see.

Reaction Score
I just can't see a team winning the NC with Muhl starting at PG. That OSU game was brutal.
Yup. That Ohio State game was brutal. I disagree on the part about seeing a team winning the NC with Muhl starting at the point. Nika is a pretty good facilitator, considering the pace that she plays at. Her assist to turnover rate is top tier. When UConn has won titles, they have won with a balanced attack and heady point guard play and Nika provides that heady point guard play.

Reaction Score
Another consideration is how much better Nika could be this year than last. At the beginning of the season even without Paige, she combined with two great shooters, Azzi and Lou. She was leading the country in assists against our usual strong early season out of conference competition.

After Azzi's injury hit, her assists came down quite a bit, the team struggled more to get the ball inside as much as they had previously, and the offense in general suffered. For much of that stretch Aubrey was at the 3, and Lou was the only great outside shooter. She drew the defensive attention and we were not able to spread the floor as well.

if Nika has Azzi and Paige as her wing options that is more like the beginning of last year when she had two great perimeter options, the floor was spread, you couldn't concentrate on just one perimeter threat, and the ball was getting inside easily. When Aubrey does play the 3 this year, it probably would be better to have Paige at the point so two great shooters were in the game, but between Azzi, Paige and Caroline, Nika will have great options almost all the time.
Wow that was perfectly said! Let’s go huskies!

Reaction Score
I certainly don’t expect Paige to start at PG. to the extent we have a definitive PG it will be Nika. After last season, there’s just no way Geno doesn’t start her — and if she’s on the floor she’s the PG. but @EricLA is right. There will be lots of minutes when there isn’t a single defined PG. The Gabby-Phee-Lou-Kia teams were like this. Any of them could bring the ball up and initiate the play. But if Saniya or Crystal was on the floor, they were there as the PG. and this year, if Inês or KK is on the floor, they’ll be there as the PG.
To me, Nika is the PG. she appears to be the player who knows the other players‘ sweet spot. Paige is the better passer and shooter but Nika just seems to be more assist oriented and that is the main duty of the PG.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Geno is unlikely to sit an upperclassman for a freshman unless he’s short handed or the freshman is Maya

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom