St. John’s next on Wednesday | Page 3 | The Boneyard

St. John’s next on Wednesday

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
“We can’t put our kids in a position where they come back from an injury and we’re expecting them to play 30-plus minutes a game,” Benedict said.

For instance, Fudd, who is close to returning, certainly would not be allowed to play 30 or more minutes in her return. Players coming out of concussion protocol must also be carefully monitored.....

A point that should not go unnoticed is that expecting to have players coming back from injury to play 30-plus minutes in a game would not and players with concussion protocol must be carefully monitored. That to me means if they can only play 30 minutes or less we will need players who can replace them. That to me means we many need more players available. 7 players who can play more then 30 minutes and players who can play less then 30 minutes and forbid someone gets injured out of those 7 players we're back at square 1. This injury thing is a mess.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
We are in a tough position here, and many teams across the country are watching this. We are not the only team with significant injuries, although the number of players out are more than most. If Wednesday's game is postponed, two things will happen, or not happen. One, some bad people will see this as a break for UConn that they may feel is an advantage since the games at this point will be postponed and not cancelled with UConn not receiving a forfeit. Second, what is the policy in the BE if the games cannot be made up. Will it eventually be a forfeit, or just a "game not played". I agree with the BE stance on trying to make the game up, but they don't say what happens if it doesn't. One game is one thing but trying to make up two will be difficult. I would in the long run except a forfeit if our girls aren't ready, but whatever the BE decides can be a presedent for the other leagues to follow, or we will be dammed in the press for being soft and dumb. As I said, if we are not ready than we don't play, so this could be a BE decision that may cause ripples in the WCBB world.

Reaction Score
We are in a tough position here, and many teams across the country are watching this. We are not the only team with significant injuries, although the number of players out are more than most. If Wednesday's game is postponed, two things will happen, or not happen. One, some bad people will see this as a break for UConn that they may feel is an advantage since the games at this point will be postponed and not cancelled with UConn not receiving a forfeit. Second, what is the policy in the BE if the games cannot be made up. Will it eventually be a forfeit, or just a "game not played". I agree with the BE stance on trying to make the game up, but they don't say what happens if it doesn't. One game is one thing but trying to make up two will be difficult. I would in the long run except a forfeit if our girls aren't ready, but whatever the BE decides can be a presedent for the other leagues to follow, or we will be dammed in the press for being soft and dumb. As I said, if we are not ready than we don't play, so this could be a BE decision that may cause ripples in the WCBB world.
We would most likely make them up, possibly at the disposal of non conference games.

Reaction Score
Mulkey and LSU is currently 15-0. I know some of us like to question her OCC scheduling practices, but as I repeatedly and continuously say, Kim knows what she's doing. LSU is currently ranked #7, has been projected to get a top seed in the NACCT, and is currently (as I write this) handing Kentucky their butt 53-27 at the end of 3. That game is AT Kentucky.

Her M.O. may not work for everyone, but it worked for her at Baylor, and it's working for her now. It's a good bet that she (a lioness) is not concerned with the opinions of fans (sheep), not even her own. So.......there. :oops: How many other D1 WCBB coaches would like to be 15-0 at this point in the season? We ALL know the answer to THAT question. :) UConn Nation would like to be 15-0 right now. That would mean wins over Maryland and @ Notre Dame.
In all fairness, if UConn replaced Maryland and Notre Dame with some of LSU's OOC cupcakes they took to the back of the shed...UConn would also be at 15-0.

The issue I have currently is how the NET currently does not seem to figure in RPI/SOS to arrive at the NET Rankings. LSU has a NET ranking of #2 (behind South Carolina) Looking at LSU's data below, does it make sense? (Data taken from WarrenNolan.com through games played on Sunday, 01-08-2023)

1673274370424.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
CD said after the Butler game that Azzi is only cleared to do certain drills. Watch the full post game interview.

If they are going to decided today whether they have enough players to play Wednesday it’s a factual observation that that means there is a change Wednesday night get postponed.
The Butler game was 6 days ago. After the Xavier game (4 days ago) CD said Azzi looked good in practice and, as I stated, the SNY reporter indicated that Azzi participated in all pregame warmup drills. Which comments should we give more weight to?

Reaction Score
The Butler game was 6 days ago. After the Xavier game (4 days ago) CD said Azzi looked good in practice and, as I stated, the SNY reporter indicated that Azzi participated in all pregame warmup drills. Which comments should we give more weight to?
They both sound the same to me, she looks good in whats she is limited to. You don't go from not cleared for full practices to playing a week later with a knee injury. For reference it took Carolina and Dorka 2 weeks to be cleared for full practices and then to play. And thats for a thumb injury and neck stiffness.

Reaction Score
Agree that there has been an increase in unsupported and unproductive opinions versus facts re: Azzi. My view is that until Azzi is unrestricted for practice, we will still have a question whether she can play. Doing pregame exercises, mainly layup and passing drills, and participated in some, but not all, practice activities, is far from practicing at full speed.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Agree that there has been an increase in unsupported and unproductive opinions versus facts re: Azzi. My view is that until Azzi is unrestricted for practice, we will still have a question whether she can play. Doing pregame exercises, mainly layup and passing drills, and participated in some, but not all, practice activities, is far from practicing at full speed.
Yes, and between today and Wednesday I expect that UConn will fill us all in on the status of each of the walking wounded relative to their availability to play or not in Wednesday’s SJ game.

Reaction Score

Yes, UConn is in a tough situation. Injuries happen during any season, but UConn's bench depth suffered considerably with 2 season-ending injuries. Regarding postponed vs forfeit, don't see how the BE can continue to ask UConn's opponents to adjust their schedules for UConn's sake. UConn can forfeit games and still win the BE.

Reaction Score
I would just like to mention the very, very obvious; games will be played when and if they can be played, made up, whatever. The reason for the obvious motherhood, I think everyone should keep in mind that no one, NO ONE, feels worse about this situation than the players and coaches; we observe, root, disect, praise and criticize from afar; they pour their heart and soul, give their time and hard work every day to the team. Within the confines of basketball, there is NOTHING worse for a player than not being able to play, for whatever reason.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Yes, UConn is in a tough situation. Injuries happen during any season, but UConn's bench depth suffered considerably with 2 season-ending injuries. Regarding postponed vs forfeit, don't see how the BE can continue to ask UConn's opponents to adjust their schedules for UConn's sake. UConn can forfeit games and still win the BE.
I imagine that the BE rules state what can happen when the team doesn't have 7 medically cleared players available. And the definition of medically cleared includes being available to play and able to play for up to 30 minutes in the game. This is according to what the AD said.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Somehow my reply to Sun ended up in the section where his/her original comments are repeated. If someone can fix this please do. I really shouldn’t make posts from an iPhone at 3 AM.
80% of my posts are from my phone like this one.

Reactions: mmt
Reaction Score
I imagine that the BE rules state what can happen when the team doesn't have 7 medically cleared players available. And the definition of medically cleared includes being available to play and able to play for up to 30 minutes in the game. This is according to what the AD said.
I read the 30 minutes as the AD's preference. But maybe there is a BE rule. Anyway, the problem is UConn's, and can't just continue to be shifted to their opponents. Or can it?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They both sound the same to me, she looks good in whats she is limited to. You don't go from not cleared for full practices to playing a week later with a knee injury. For reference it took Carolina and Dorka 2 weeks to be cleared for full practices and then to play. And thats for a thumb injury and neck stiffness.
OK. You can be the purveyor of doom & gloom. I’ll wait to hear what UConn has to say, not attempting to piece together a negative scenario based on a string of unrelated events such as Dorka’s broken finger 2 months ago.

Reaction Score
OK. You can be the purveyor of doom & gloom. I’ll wait to hear what UConn has to say, not attempting to piece together a negative scenario based on a string of unrelated events such as Dorka’s broken finger 2 months ago.
You see my take as negative but I don’t think keeping Azzi out nor postponing another gsme
Is negative or bad. The more rest and recovery time the better. Not sure why everyone is rushing the girls back and calling it positive or optimistic.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
One key point that is missing in this discussion. In order to play, UConn must have 7 scholarship players able to suit up.

As to Wednesday, let's wait and see what happens today.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I know for me, I planned on going to the game on Wednesday and was taking the day off of work so any update on that game's status would be appreciated sooner rather than later. Is it critical or crucial that the public knows, of course not as the players health is paramount BUT a decision does have to be announced as it does impact a significant number of ticket holders.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
One or two significant LSU defeats will quickly reset their ranking.
I’m very interested to watch their game against South Carolina on Feb 12, when the currently undefeated titans meet to decide SEC conference supremacy. Looking at their respective schedules, I don’t see any threats to the winning streak they are currently riding.

Reaction Score
I’m very interested to watch their game against South Carolina on Feb 12, when the currently undefeated titans meet to decide SEC conference supremacy. Looking at their respective schedules, I don’t see any threats to the winning streak they are currently riding.
You must think poorly of Uconn to think they aren't even a potential threat to beat a team that could only pull out a 7 point victory of Mississippi St yesterday.

Reaction Score
You see my take as negative but I don’t think keeping Azzi out nor postponing another gsme
Is negative or bad. The more rest and recovery time the better. Not sure why everyone is rushing the girls back and calling it positive or optimistic.
Recovery time and rest is defined by medical people trained and paid to make those decisions, not by fans from afar who are sharing opinions pulled from wherever. I never met a player in 60 years in the game who was helped by or wanted more of either when cleared by the people in the best position to make that determination.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Nobody is rushing anyone back. The injured players will play when they are cleared by the medical staff and they feel they are ready to play.

Reaction Score
Nobody is rushing anyone back. The injured players will play when they are cleared by the medical staff and they feel they are ready to play.
Which is what I've been saying. You seem to think an earlier clearance is better, I think a later clearance is better and also more realistic based on past data. We seem to mostly agree.

Reaction Score
One key point that is missing in this discussion. In order to play, UConn must have 7 scholarship players able to suit up.

As to Wednesday, let's wait and see what happens today.
And each of those players must be available to play 30 minutes (or something to that effect)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom