St. John’s next on Wednesday | Page 4 | The Boneyard

St. John’s next on Wednesday

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Which is what I've been saying. You seem to think an earlier clearance is better, I think a later clearance is better and also more realistic based on past data. We seem to mostly agree.
Please don’t make assumptions about what I think. Neither you or I have any say on when these young ladies should be cleared to play, and that’s exactly how it should be. I reiterate that the determination on when these injured players return is up to the medical professionals along with the players themselves. Let’s leave it at that and wait to hear from the school on their status.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
You must think poorly of Uconn to think they aren't even a potential threat to beat a team that could only pull out a 7 point victory of Mississippi St yesterday.
SC has beat all comers so far, and remain the unanimous number one ranked team in the country. UConn lost to Maryland and Notre Dame. Two teams that in my opinion are not nearly as good as SC.

The SC game is at the XL Center. I’m not sure UConn will hold serve and defend their home court. UConn will have to play their best game of the season, and limit their turnovers to single digits. I’m a realist. It’s not that I think poorly of UConn, I’m just going by what They are showing me.

Can UConn win? Yes if they limit their turnovers and play their best game to date. Geno won’t go more than 2 deep into his bench. That will put tremendous pressure on his starters. Keep in mind that SC does not fear UConn. UConn will get SC’s very best. A very limited bench, no room for error and a tendency to turn the ball over unforced against the best team in the country. Explain to me why I should be optimistic for a win here.

Reaction Score
SC has beat all comers so far, and remain the unanimous number one ranked team in the country. UConn lost to Maryland and Notre Dame. Two teams that in my opinion are not nearly as good as SC.

The SC game is at the XL Center. I’m not sure UConn will hold serve and defend their home court. UConn will have to play their best game of the season, and limit their turnovers to single digits. I’m a realist. It’s not that I think poorly of UConn, I’m just going by what They are showing me.

Can UConn win? Yes if they limit their turnovers and play their best game to date. Geno won’t go more than 2 deep into his bench. That will put tremendous pressure on his starters. Keep in mind that SC does not fear UConn. UConn will get SC’s very best. A very limited bench, no room for error and a tendency to turn the ball over unforced against the best team in the country. Explain to me why I should be optimistic for a win here.
IMO, UConn’s chances hinge almost completely on the boards and whether they can get easy points. The conundrum they have is the best way to defensive rebound is to probably have Dorka and Edwards focus on boxing out and have the others crash for the ball but that precludes Uconn from pushing the ball which means playing half court against a very tough defense. So can Edwards and Dorka hold their own and keep SC 2nd chances to a minimum? If they can, IMO, Uconn has a very good chance.
As for TOs, I think as long as Uconn keeps them to mostly “dead” TOs i.e. ones that don’t lead to easy run outs but rather give Uconn a chance to set up their D, I don’t think they will be the factor many think they will be.

Reaction Score
The issue I have currently is how the NET currently does not seem to figure in RPI/SOS to arrive at the NET Rankings. LSU has a NET ranking of #2 (behind South Carolina) Looking at LSU's data below, does it make sense? (Data taken from WarrenNolan.com through games played on Sunday, 01-08-2023)
Women's NET has only two components: Adjusted Net Efficiency (which is sky high for LSU) and Team Value Index. Both of them take the opponents into account to some degree, but there is no exact formula and it's hard to tell how much LSU's weak schedule affects it. An undefeated team with a huge scoring margin is likely to have a high NET ranking even against a weaker schedule.

Women's NET

Reaction Score

Uconn hasn't lost a game with Azzi though. And South Caroline has been taken to overtime and won multiple games against worse teams than Maryland and Notre Dame by single digits. To think they aren't even a threat to beat South Carolina at home, as you said in your original post, is insulting.

Unforced turnovers only started happening when we were decimated by injuries. If we aren't healthy, sure your post makes sense. But a healthy Uconn has no reason to fear South Carolina. There is no reason for you to optimistic that we are healthy though.

7 players isn't a very limited bench when you are putting in players capable of going off for 30 in. I'd take our top 7 against any top 7 in the country.

Reaction Score
South Carolina shot 30/22/58% against Mississippi State Sunday. They're going to be obliterated at XL if they do anything close to that against Connecticut. I like Connecticut's chances if they're back at full strength by then (they're 13-1 with Muhl and undefeated when Fudd was available the whole game).

Reaction Score
South Carolina shot 30/22/58% against Mississippi State Sunday. They're going to be obliterated at XL if they do anything close to that against Connecticut. I like Connecticut's chances if they're back at full strength by then (they're 13-1 with Muhl and undefeated when Fudd was available the whole game).
SC shot 37% overall and 19% on 3’s, and 65% from the line in the NC game last year and Uconn lost by 15. SC is not a team to judge on shooting %, they win on defense and rebounding.

Reaction Score
Uconn hasn't lost a game with Azzi though. And South Caroline has been taken to overtime and won multiple games against worse teams than Maryland and Notre Dame by single digits. To think they aren't even a threat to beat South Carolina at home, as you said in your original post, is insulting.

Unforced turnovers only started happening when we were decimated by injuries. If we aren't healthy, sure your post makes sense. But a healthy Uconn has no reason to fear South Carolina. There is no reason for you to optimistic that we are healthy though.

7 players isn't a very limited bench when you are putting in players capable of going off for 30 in. I'd take our top 7 against any top 7 in the country.

South Carolina has single-digit games this season against #2-ranked Stanford (5 pts in overtime), and against #8-ranked UCLA (9 pts), beyond their game with Mississippi State. The Gamecocks are 2nd in the nation behind only LSU in Scoring Margin thus far.

South Carolina did shoot poorly versus the Bulldogs, but we're also talking about an opponent with the nationally 12th-ranked Scoring Defense, 4th-ranked FG % Defense, and 7th-ranked 3-pt. FG % Defense thus far this season. They will be among the top 2-3 defenses the Gamecocks will have played against this regular season....

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
South Carolina has single-digit games this season against #2-ranked Stanford (5 pts in overtime), and against #8-ranked UCLA (9 pts), beyond their game with Mississippi State. The Gamecocks are 2nd in the nation behind only LSU in Scoring Margin thus far.

South Carolina did shoot poorly versus the Bulldogs, but we're also talking about an opponent with the nationally 12th-ranked Scoring Defense, 4th-ranked FG % Defense, and 7th-ranked 3-pt. FG % Defense thus far this season. They will be among the top 2-3 defenses the Gamecocks will have played against this regular season....
Every team has one or two WTF games at this time of year. See @visitingcock post fr this morning

Reaction Score
From the Courant article:

The team took Saturday off, with several of the players coming to Gampel Pavilion to watch the men’s victory over Creighton. They will practice Sunday, and their status will be evaluated day to day. In order to play their next scheduled game, at St. John’s on Wednesday, they will need to consider how much any returning players can safely play in their first game back.

“We can’t put our kids in a position where they come back from an injury and we’re expecting them to play 30-plus minutes a game,” Benedict said.

For instance, Fudd, who is close to returning, certainly would not be allowed to play 30 or more minutes in her return. Players coming out of concussion protocol must also be carefully monitored.....

According to the Hartford Courant at 4"22 the game vs. St. John's for Wednesday is a go. Yet to announce who is back as an eligible player,

Carnac

Reaction Score

I’m hoping for the best and a win against SC. Right now we don’t know how many of our players will be healthy enough to play and make significant contributions to the game. To think my post is insulting depends on how you perceive it. You think it is, so be it. I can assure you others will read it and not feel that way.

It’s going to be hard to beat SC with everyone healthy. SC more than likely will bring a full roster of healthy players when they come. I’m rooting and hoping for a win as much as any other UConn fan. But I‘m not going to short change or dismiss the fact that SC is the most dominant team in the country (right now). A lot can happen between now and Feb 12. SC is a BIG, well coached team. They are going to come here looking to make a statement. I sincerely hope they leave Hartford disappointed. We’ll see.

Nothing would please me more going forward than wins over Tennessee and SC. Basically run the table through the end of the season. Talk is cheap. Talking doesn’t get it done. Hoping doesn’t get it done. If we don’t win number 12 this year, wins over Tennessee and SC will still make me happy. Only 1 team is going to win the championship. I can accept the notion that this may not be our year. I think next year is.

Next year’s team will be deeper and just as talented (IMO). We lose a lot of talent and experience in Lou, Dorka and maybe Aubrey. No way to replace them. It just means that others will step up. They do every year.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
IMO, UConn’s chances hinge almost completely on the boards and whether they can get easy points. The conundrum they have is the best way to defensive rebound is to probably have Dorka and Edwards focus on boxing out and have the others crash for the ball but that precludes Uconn from pushing the ball which means playing half court against a very tough defense. So can Edwards and Dorka hold their own and keep SC 2nd chances to a minimum? If they can, IMO, Uconn has a very good chance.
As for TOs, I think as long as Uconn keeps them to mostly “dead” TOs i.e. ones that don’t lead to easy run outs but rather give Uconn a chance to set up their D, I don’t think they will be the factor many think they will be.
Points, minimum turnovers and winning the rebounding war (the battle of the boards), I believe will be the deciding factors. Dawn will use more of her reserves than Geno will, helping to keep her starters (and their legs) fresh for the 4th quarter. I can see each of our starters playing 34+ minutes.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I hope you’re right. Nothing would please me more than a UConn win over SC. Let’s make it happen!! :)

Reaction Score
SC shot 37% overall and 19% on 3’s, and 65% from the line in the NC game last year and Uconn lost by 15. SC is not a team to judge on shooting %, they win on defense and rebounding.
Agreed completely. Uconn has overcome its turnover problem with shooting efficiency thus far. That won’t work against SCar if we don’t neutralize the rebounding. You can only rely on efficiency to overcome so many areas of the game. Even more difficult against a good defensive team.

The keys to me are how well we take care of the ball and rebound. I like our chances a lot if overall fga and fta are even. But that won’t be easy to achieve.

Should be a great matchup of contrasting styles of both teams are healthy.

Reaction Score
Points, minimum turnovers and winning the rebounding war (the battle of the boards), I believe will be the deciding factors. Dawn will use more of her reserves than Geno will, helping to keep her starters (and their legs) fresh for the 4th quarter. I can see each of our starters playing 34+ minutes.
Having Aubrey available will help immensely with rebounding.

Reaction Score

The point is you aren’t exactly blowing out competition that is good to great. People act like it’s UConn 2016 where they win every game by 20 points. You could very easily have 1-2 losses this year already.

Any team in the top ten-fifteen can stay within 10 or so points of you guys so far this season and make it interesting.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
According to the ESPN story, Geno is not expected to be coaching on Wednesday. This is a UConn at St. John's thread, right?

And the article made me aware of something obvious but it just made me say "Wow"...only Lou and Inês have been available for every game and Lou starting/playing in every one.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I see what you've done here. Shame on you who we depend on as the official BY seerer. TonyC, please straighten Carnac out. Thanks!

Carnac

Reaction Score
I see what you've done here. Shame on you who we depend on as the official BY seerer. TonyC, please straighten Carnac out. Thanks!
Believe me, I want UConn to win that game as much as any boneyarder here.

Reaction Score
I don't think SC has the outside shooting that they had last year. Hennie was a very important payer. Who knows what happens as we are grasping at straws and SC probably wins but I'm just saying we have a real chance. Georgia was ahead at the half if I remember correctly against SC this year as well. They are not invincible. Their depth is a huge factor. It doesn't help us if we go into that game with 7 players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom