St. John’s next on Wednesday | Page 2 | The Boneyard

St. John’s next on Wednesday

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Yea but UConn wouldn’t have played Notre Dame or Maryland using Kim’s scheduling. They’d be 15-0 without wins over Texas, NC State, Duke, Princeton, Florida State and a few others. And they wouldn’t have games against USC or Tennesse coming up. I think all UConn fans would rather have a couple of loses with this schedule than undefeated against LSUs.
Hoops, yea, but nothing. :confused:You're trying to move the goalposts here. Read my comment again:

"Mulkey and LSU is currently 15-0. I know some of us like to question her OCC scheduling practices, but as I repeatedly and continuously say, Kim knows what she's doing. LSU is currently ranked #7, has been projected to get a top seed in the NACCT, and is currently (as I write this) handing Kentucky their butt 53-27 at the end of 3. That game is AT Kentucky.

Her M.O. may not work for everyone, but it worked for her at Baylor, and it's working for her now. It's a good bet that she (a lioness) is not concerned with the opinions of fans (sheep), not even her own. So.......there. :oops: How many other D1 WCBB coaches would like to be 15-0 at this point in the season? We ALL know the answer to THAT question. :) UConn Nation would like to be 15-0 right now. That would mean wins over Maryland and @ Notre Dame."

I didn't say, suggest or mention anything about UConn playing a cupcake schedule. I said that we, as a fan base would like to be 15-0, and we would.

Right now, we're 11-2. 13-0 sounds much better than 11-2 right? 15-0 would sound even better. We would be undefeated. I challenge you to name one D1 WCBB coach that WOULD NOT like to be undefeated at this point in the season. They ALL would. That's all I'm saying. No worries. Geno has never and will never subscribe to the idea of filling out his out of conference schedule (OCC) schedule with bakery products (Twinkees, Ding dongs and Ho ho's). It's not his way. :)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
guess this means either tenn or sc game will get cancelled. Idk how they'll decide that, I assume they'd want to keep SC.
Unlikely since both St Jons and DePaul
Have games the weekend of the South Carolina game. Maybe Tennesse but also unlikely do to their big East schedules.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Doesn’t sound like that’s the case based on what Benedict said.
I'm rolling with the punches. It makes for a smoother and more fun ride. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
guess this means either tenn or sc game will get cancelled. Idk how they'll decide that, I assume they'd want to keep SC.
IF - in capitals, the St. John's game is postponed, that is two games to reschedule. Schedules of UConn and DePaul and St. John's will dictate the dates. If both UT and SC need to be cancelled, so be it.

Let's just sit back and wait.

Reaction Score
Yea but UConn wouldn’t have played Notre Dame or Maryland using Kim’s scheduling. They’d be 15-0 without wins over Texas, NC State, Duke, Princeton, Florida State and a few others. And they wouldn’t have games against USC or Tennesse coming up. I think all UConn fans would rather have a couple of loses with this schedule than undefeated against LSUs.
In addition we do not have the same realistic scheduling options as other Power 5 conference standouts. They can get a competitive schedule in their conference, and if they want to make it tougher with out of conference games that is their choice.TThey can also use out of conference games as an extended training camp, developing freshmen and playing certain combinations to prepare them for the games that will count in conference.

We don't have that choice. Since we are not in a Power 5 conference the only way to upgrade strength of schedule similar to theirs is to front load a very difficult out of conference schedule. We also don't have time to ease into it and get players comfortable with the team and their roles before the big games, they are thrown into the fire right away.

If a player isn't rotation ready by the season start, they likely won't get many opportunity minutes to earn their way into the rotation until we get more blowouts with mop up minutes during conference games. If they do well enough in those show me minutes, they might then get into the rotation by the time the conference and NCAA tournaments begin.

My main point is the scheduling scenario is fundamentally different for us or any top ranked team not from a Power 5 conference. They back load the difficult (conference) schedule, we have to front load it or not have a difficult schedule at all. They get a great deal of development time before their big games, we get ours more afterwards in the easier conference matchups.

It's apples and oranges and unless we join a Power 5 conference it will probably stay that way. Do I wish we could bring some players along slowly and get them ready before the big games later? Sure but that isn't a realistic option, because if we didn't front load difficult out of conference games, we might not face serious challenges until we were several rounds into the NCAA tournament facing our first true test. That would not be good and the season would be somewhat boring until the tournament began. It is what it is, and like injuries we just have to deal with it.

Reaction Score
If they have the game, awesome. It should be very interesting. St John's is one of the many surprising teams this season. If there is a game. Cool. If no game. Even better. I am just going to kick back and play the wait and see game. I just want our UConn players and coaching staff to get better health wise.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe that there is a possibility of the game being canceled. My daughter bought me tickets for Christmas. It will be the first game that I ever see in person so to have it postponed is crushing. I don’t know when it will be rescheduled, and if I’ll be able to make that game. I will be absolutely devastated If the game is postponed. So whoever is in touch with the basketball, gods say a good word for an old guy looking to see his first game. Fingers crossed

Reaction Score
I would predict Wednesday's game gets postponed too. Probably won't play until Sunday. Full week of recovery would do them good.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
It would depend on what days the two teams have available to play, and if the dates fall on the game days of Tennessee of South Carolina then they would most likely get canceled.

Reaction Score
It would depend on what days the two teams have available to play, and if the dates fall on the game days of Tennessee of South Carolina then they would most likely get canceled.
Both teams have games that weekend.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The AD said it might get postponed like the DePaul game.
Doesn’t sound like that’s the case based on what Benedict said.
Not sure exactly what your source of information is. I just read a lengthy article in CT Insider from today that quoted Benedict extensively. His only reference to any games beyond the DePaul game was that they would evaluate the situation on Sunday & Monday. As far as I know, Benedict hasn’t made any other public statements.

Unless you know something more definitive, I would suggest that we all avoid speculation on the health and availability of various players beyond what’s announced by representatives of the University.

Reaction Score
All the Uconn fans have to do is relax, when no game, read a good book and revel in the team when we do play again. All these glitches in Uconn's schedule is talking points when we win the Big East conference and championship. Talking points to brag how we overcame bad breaks and injuries and still won. As I have been saying all last year, THINK POSITIVE and it will happen. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
Not sure exactly what your source of information is. I just read a lengthy article in CT Insider from today that quoted Benedict extensively. His only reference to any games beyond the DePaul game was that they would evaluate the situation on Sunday & Monday. As far as I know, Benedict hasn’t made any other public statements.

Unless you know something more definitive, I would suggest that we all avoid speculation on the health and availability of various players beyond what’s announced by representatives of the University.
Lol you are saying the same thing as me but just on a high horse. He said they’ll decide after some health evaluations today and tomorrow, which means the game might get postponed. Unless you read a quote where he said they weren’t going to consider postpone and are definitely playing in Wednesday?

Last week Azzi was even cleared for full practices according to CD so it seems highly unlikely she’ll be playing this week. Unless you think CD isn’t a representative of the University?

Carnac

Reaction Score
In addition we do not have the same realistic scheduling options as other Power 5 conference standouts. They can get a competitive schedule in their conference, and if they want to make it tougher with out of conference games that is their choice.TThey can also use out of conference games as an extended training camp, developing freshmen and playing certain combinations to prepare them for the games that will count in conference.

We don't have that choice. Since we are not in a Power 5 conference the only way to upgrade strength of schedule similar to theirs is to front load a very difficult out of conference schedule. We also don't have time to ease into it and get players comfortable with the team and their roles before the big games, they are thrown into the fire right away.

If a player isn't rotation ready by the season start, they likely won't get many opportunity minutes to earn their way into the rotation until we get more blowouts with mop up minutes during conference games. If they do well enough in those show me minutes, they might then get into the rotation by the time the conference and NCAA tournaments begin.

My main point is the scheduling scenario is fundamentally different for us or any top ranked team not from a Power 5 conference. They back load the difficult (conference) schedule, we have to front load it or not have a difficult schedule at all. They get a great deal of development time before their big games, we get ours more afterwards in the easier conference matchups.

It's apples and oranges and unless we join a Power 5 conference it will probably stay that way. Do I wish we could bring some players along slowly and get them ready before the big games later? Sure but that isn't a realistic option, because if we didn't front load difficult out of conference games, we might not face serious challenges until we were several rounds into the NCAA tournament facing our first true test. That would not be good and the season would be somewhat boring until the tournament began. It is what it is, and like injuries we just have to deal with it.
Thanks oldhuskie. An EXCELLENT and detailed explanation of the reason(s) Geno cannot ever afford to play weak non-conference opponents. :cool:

Carnac

Reaction Score
Hoops, yea, but nothing. :confused:You're trying to move the goalposts here. Read my comment again:

"Mulkey and LSU is currently 15-0. I know some of us like to question her OCC scheduling practices, but as I repeatedly and continuously say, Kim knows what she's doing. LSU is currently ranked #7, has been projected to get a top seed in the NACCT, and is currently (as I write this) handing Kentucky their butt 53-27 at the end of 3. That game is AT Kentucky.

Her M.O. may not work for everyone, but it worked for her at Baylor, and it's working for her now. It's a good bet that she (a lioness) is not concerned with the opinions of fans (sheep), not even her own. So.......there. :oops: How many other D1 WCBB coaches would like to be 15-0 at this point in the season? We ALL know the answer to THAT question. :) UConn Nation would like to be 15-0 right now. That would mean wins over Maryland and @ Notre Dame."

I didn't say, suggest or mention anything about UConn playing a cupcake schedule. I said that we, as a fan base would like to be 15-0, and we would.

Right now, we're 11-2. 13-0 sounds much better than 11-2 right? 15-0 would sound even better. We would be undefeated. I challenge you to name one D1 WCBB coach that WOULD NOT like to be undefeated at this point in the season. They ALL would. That's all I'm saying. No worries. Geno has never and will never subscribe to the idea of filling out his out of conference schedule (OCC) schedule with bakery products (Twinkees, Ding dongs and Ho ho's). It's not his way. :)
Correction: UConn record is 13-2, not 11-2.

1673240556677.png

Reaction Score
The UConn AD said that in order to play, UConn needs to have 7 players who are healthy enough to play 30 minutes each.
He said that Azzi or another player coming off of concussion protocol wouldn't be expected to play 30 minutes their first game back from injury.
UConn needs 7 healthy players that can play without limits before they can play another game.

Sun: Thank you for injecting some realism here. Somewhere along the line someone gave an estimate of Azzi returning in 3 to 6 weeks and some Boneyarders are adamantly holding to that date. The 3 to 6 week date was probably made by the same person who estimated Dorka would be out for 3 games. As far as makeup dates for any postponed games everyone should take an objective look at UConn’s upcoming schedule and the schedules of any the other teams whose games will be postponed. There is little or no flexibility for inserting new game dates and I wouldn’t expect Big East schedulers (who can schedule 2 home games back to back) to find a solution.

Reaction Score
Somehow my reply to Sun ended up in the section where his/her original comments are repeated. If someone can fix this please do. I really shouldn’t make posts from an iPhone at 3 AM.

Reaction Score
The UConn AD said that in order to play, UConn needs to have 7 players who are healthy enough to play 30 minutes each.
He said that Azzi or another player coming off of concussion protocol wouldn't be expected to play 30 minutes their first game back from injury.
UConn needs 7 healthy players that can play without limits before they can play another game.

Edwards, Senechal, Nika, Dorka, Patterson, Deberry and Bettencort (sp?)- isn’t that seven? Or is Edwards considered injured with her foot/ankle?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Lol you are saying the same thing as me but just on a high horse. He said they’ll decide after some health evaluations today and tomorrow, which means the game might get postponed. Unless you read a quote where he said they weren’t going to consider postpone and are definitely playing in Wednesday?

Last week Azzi was even cleared for full practices according to CD so it seems highly unlikely she’ll be playing this week. Unless you think CD isn’t a representative of the University?
No, I am not saying anything similar to what you said. You said the AD indicated the SJ game, “might get postponed.” He said nothing of the sort.

You then implied that Azzi might not be ready based on what he said. Arriving at that conclusion from a plan to “evaluate on Sunday & Monday” is an unbelievable stretch on your part.

Again, I don’t recall CD saying anything about Azzi’s activity other than “she looks good” and the decision on her return was, “above my pay grade.” As of last Thursday Azzi had continued to ramp up her activity to the point where she was fully participating in all pregame drills according to the SNY reporter who actually watched pregame drills. That was 4 days ago with another 2 days to go until SJ.

Based on everything we truly know, at this point in time, suggestions that the SJ game might be postponed and that Azzi may not be ready to return are alarmist inferences based on ???

sun

Reaction Score
From the Courant article:

The team took Saturday off, with several of the players coming to Gampel Pavilion to watch the men’s victory over Creighton. They will practice Sunday, and their status will be evaluated day to day. In order to play their next scheduled game, at St. John’s on Wednesday, they will need to consider how much any returning players can safely play in their first game back.

“We can’t put our kids in a position where they come back from an injury and we’re expecting them to play 30-plus minutes a game,” Benedict said.

For instance, Fudd, who is close to returning, certainly would not be allowed to play 30 or more minutes in her return. Players coming out of concussion protocol must also be carefully monitored.....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
From the Courant article:

The team took Saturday off, with several of the players coming to Gampel Pavilion to watch the men’s victory over Creighton. They will practice Sunday, and their status will be evaluated day to day. In order to play their next scheduled game, at St. John’s on Wednesday, they will need to consider how much any returning players can safely play in their first game back.

“We can’t put our kids in a position where they come back from an injury and we’re expecting them to play 30-plus minutes a game,” Benedict said.

For instance, Fudd, who is close to returning, certainly would not be allowed to play 30 or more minutes in her return. Players coming out of concussion protocol must also be carefully monitored.....

The article indicates that the team was set to practice Sunday (yesterday). I am sure that practice was significant in evaluating the relative health of the team in line with prior comments.

Reaction Score
No, I am not saying anything similar to what you said. You said the AD indicated the SJ game, “might get postponed.” He said nothing of the sort.

You then implied that Azzi might not be ready based on what he said. Arriving at that conclusion from a plan to “evaluate on Sunday & Monday” is an unbelievable stretch on your part.

Again, I don’t recall CD saying anything about Azzi’s activity other than “she looks good” and the decision on her return was, “above my pay grade.” As of last Thursday Azzi had continued to ramp up her activity to the point where she was fully participating in all pregame drills according to the SNY reporter who actually watched pregame drills. That was 4 days ago with another 2 days to go until SJ.

Based on everything we truly know, at this point in time, suggestions that the SJ game might be postponed and that Azzi may not be ready to return are alarmist inferences based on ???
CD said after the Butler game that Azzi is only cleared to do certain drills. Watch the full post game interview.

If they are going to decided today whether they have enough players to play Wednesday it’s a factual observation that that means there is a change Wednesday night get postponed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom