SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit) | Page 11 | The Boneyard

SG Bruce Brown (Miami Commit)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Bruce Brown has a lot of positives, but after watching him at Vermont Academy 4x this winter, I never saw him as being the heir apparent at UConn as a point guard, with the offense revolving off the ball in his hands. It never occurred to me as his natural role here. Ryan Boatright was an excellent player that a case could be made that he didn't make players around him elevate their games, his adequate assists were often a result of his own offensive move being hampered so he dished where he could. Brown is in that mold from my observations. His point guard skills and shooting are more Terrence Samuel like. His value added is that he is tenacious, aggressive, rebounds, and figures out how to get a shot off and score from 5ft and in. Without knowing his foul shooting percent, there were a lot of trips to the line and numerous misses when I saw him. So going to the line protecting the lead with 10 seconds on the clock would have you holding your ... breath. He creates and scores thru contact. But, his team didn't win. Zags indicates he wants to play the PG, have the ball in his hands, and have the freedom to be the man. Adams is light years better for that role and so is Gilbert if we get him. Tremont Waters is better as a PG, and sight unseen I would expect El-Amin is too. If Zags related a view held strongly by him, it may be that there is a loss of mutual interest based on his desired role rather than not liking him as a value added player the way Ollie would use him. I could see that scenario from the article and if that is the case you certainly as a coaching staff don't want an automatic mismatch of roles that could build discontent on a team. His strong desire to play PG in college surprised me. I thought he could play it in a game situation like Samuel, but not Shabazz

Reaction Score
It seems like we offer 90% of the top 200 . Just seem like the staff spreads them selves to thin

So UCONN has only offered 22 recruits in the class of 2016 (per verbalcommit website). Below is a list of other top programs that have offered around 20 recruits for the 2016 class (I added UK just for fun). In parentheses is the number of spots open for each team in 2016. Doing some simple math I divided the number of offers by the number of spots available in 2016 to give a better picture. Here are the numbers:

Indiana: 24 (4) = 6
Texas: 23 (6) = 3.83
Florida: 22 (2) = 11
UCONN: 22 (5) = 4.4
Kansas: 21 (4) = 5.25
NC State: 20 (5) = 4
Marlyand: 19 (3) = 6.33
Zona: 18 (4) = 4.5

And just for fun UK: 13 (3) = 4.33

What this shows:

- In reality we don't offer 90% of the top 200, we actually offer close to 10%
- Based on the number of spots open for the 2016 team we actually offer less than a number of top national programs who consistently recruit well (ie. Kansas).
- The staff knows what they are doing
- Simple fact checking goes a long way.

Reaction Score
I would hope and expect so

The Hamidou Diallo thing came out of the blue recently. Could be 2016?

Diallo and a PG like Gilbert, or Fischer, could be al the team needs at those positions.

They still need a replacement for Hamilton though, if not Larrier.

Then they have to hit big in 2017 on a big fella like Zach Brown or Japhet-Mathias, but that will be an incredibly hard achievement.

Silk31

CA$$$HHHHH
Reaction Score
There goes that VT pipeline a lot of us were speculating over. We prioritized Diarra over Jones and Hamidou over Bruce...fine by me especially with the spot that we are in with Ham.

Reaction Score
So UCONN has only offered 22 recruits in the class of 2016 (per verbalcommit website). Below is a list of other top programs that have offered around 20 recruits for the 2016 class (I added UK just for fun). In parentheses is the number of spots open for each team in 2016. Doing some simple math I divided the number of offers by the number of spots available in 2016 to give a better picture. Here are the numbers:

What this shows:

- Based on the number of spots open for the 2016 team we actually offer less than a number of top national programs who consistently recruit well (ie. Kansas).
You and your darn facts...

Reaction Score
Nobody really knows what is going on with Brown but there is a reason we have cooled on him or he has cooled on us. It could be we are close to signing a similar player or the kid wasn't impressed with UConn for whatever reason. Next.

Reaction Score
F@$! Bruce Brown! Unless things change and he becomes a Husky...but...if he does...maybe he isn't that good or the P5 schools lost interest...or maybe it's because he's related to Jalen or maybe cause he's local....or....or

Reaction Score
Bruce Brown doesn't always say all the right things it seems, like a lot of kids who play for UConn. He seems to be a lot about "me" and that doesn't fit. He likes Bobby Hurley because he said "I can score, pretty much do whatever I want"? Really? I know KO is telling him where he fits and how he fits into a system and you will need to earn it. His game is not even close to one of a PG which is suddenly what he would like to be as well as the "focal point".

You know sometimes, and I'm only guessing, kids can turn the coaches a different direction also.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
They're either confident they're in position to get a better player than Brown or they're determined to repeat the mistakes of 2015.

Reaction Score
I am perplexed as to why we stopped recruiting him. He has shown to be a top 10 player in this summers EYBL circuit. leading his team to being 1st in the division.

Im not really buying the whole Brown wants to play Pg. Im close with the BABC association and have never seen him used as a PG in aau ball or in high school. Brown is a very aggressive scorer, who does not shy away from contact or competition, also an elite defender. Something I'm sure all schools are looking to add.

If Brown is no longer interested I hope we are all in on Mustapha for 2016

Reaction Score
Then ask them.

Im not trying to come off as cocky or an insider. I just never seen anything from him that indicated he wants to play PG. He hasn't played it during the winter or summer.

Reaction Score
Considering both Brown and Heron are combo/2 guards, is it more telling that SJU is recruiting Brown or that we aren't?

Dynasty

Never not member
Reaction Score

What this shows:

Actually, that number should be 27 since VerbalCommits only keeps offers from recruits that haven't committed elsewhere yet.

Reaction Score
Bruce Brown doesn't always say all the right things it seems, like a lot of kids who play for UConn. He seems to be a lot about "me" and that doesn't fit. He likes Bobby Hurley because he said "I can score, pretty much do whatever I want"? Really? I know KO is telling him where he fits and how he fits into a system and you will need to earn it. His game is not even close to one of a PG which is suddenly what he would like to be as well as the "focal point".

You know sometimes, and I'm only guessing, kids can turn the coaches a different direction also.
I wondered if he's simply not a KO type player. Who knows? Coaches don't just look for talent but fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom