SF Justin Jackson (picks Maryland) | Page 18 | The Boneyard

SF Justin Jackson (picks Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Cherry on top? No.

It'd be like getting a second helping of dessert.

Besides who likes those stupid candied cherries* they put on top of ice cream?

* Inadvertently starts 25-page thread by August who hates ketchup, turkey and candied cherries.

Reaction Score
Even if we get Jackson, which frankly, gun to my head prediction I think we will, next year's team will have a ton of youth. Any damage we do beyond a ~20-35 ranking and the first weekend of the tourney will be icing on the cake.

What getting Jackson does do is make 17-18 a legit top 5 team. Giving this core a whole year together in preparation for that season would be incredible. Imagine this in 17-18:

Gilbert
Adams
Diallo (hopefully)
Jackson
Enoch

with (possibly) MAL, Vital, Larrier, V. Jackson, Diarra, and possibly Obiagu/Richards on the bench.

With or without Jackson, and doing my best not to look past 16-17, 17-18 will be a hell of a ride.

Reaction Score
Even if we get Jackson, which frankly, gun to my head prediction I think we will, next year's team will have a ton of youth. Any damage we do beyond a ~20-35 ranking and the first weekend of the tourney will be icing on the cake.

What getting Jackson does do is make 17-18 a legit top 5 team. Giving this core a whole year together in preparation for that season would be incredible. Imagine this in 17-18:

Gilbert
Adams
Diallo (hopefully)
Jackson
Enoch

with (possibly) MAL, Vital, Larrier, V. Jackson, Diarra, and possibly Obiagu/Richards on the bench.

With or without Jackson, and doing my best not to look past 16-17, 17-18 will be a hell of a ride.
I want to focus on what is and get through 16-17. Anyone can jump to NBA or transfer so I don't want to count what I don't have.

Reaction Score

Gilbert
Adams
Diallo (hopefully)
Jackson
Enoch

He looks to have the strength and body type that we have sorely lacked but to somehow project us into top 5 for17-18 with that many inexperienced players is ??when you consider that Purvis and Brimah will be gone. We are going to leapfrog teams that have been stockpiling top 10 players every year?

Reaction Score
He looks to have the strength and body type that we have sorely lacked but to somehow project us into top 5 for17-18 with that many inexperienced players is ??when you consider that Purvis and Brimah will be gone. We are going to leapfrog teams that have been stockpiling top 10 players every year?
Let them continue to stockpile. We are progressively building the talent pool on our roster. Come 17-18 it will be comprised of all 4/5 star recruits - with the exception of Vital - all with another year of experience under their belts.

Starting line up of junior Jalen, sophomore Alterique, freshman Hamidou (PLEASE), sophomore Jackson/Durham and junior Enoch is flat out ridiculous. So much talent, and while we'll be a bit young, they will still have a bit of experience. Especially if we can win a game or 2 in the dance come March this season.

Reaction Score

Gilbert
Adams
Diallo (hopefully)
Jackson
Enoch

Up

Reaction Score
Larrier will not be coming off the bench. Might be the best player on the team.

Reaction Score

Time will tell, never a bad problem to have if we land Jackson. There is certainly enough playing time for each of the bigs, with a lot of different lineup options. Rebounding will be important, so that will be a factor. Defense too, obviously.

Reaction Score

Do you know of something from this upcoming year? His tape from freshman year at VCU wasn't exactly inspiring.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
I'm curious why you think this about his possibly being the best player on the team. Is this based on anything new, such as reports from practices, etc., or based on potential from prior to coming to UConn? I'm not sure what to expect from TL.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Do you know of something from this upcoming year? His tape from freshman year at VCU wasn't exactly inspiring.
Not saying that I agree Larrier will be the best player on the team, however, if you're going to judge him solely on his freshman year highlights then you need to consider the role of Havoc. That style of play isn't exactly the most efficient minded brand of basketball.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Cherry on top? No.

It'd be like getting a second helping of dessert.

Besides who likes those stupid candied cherries* they put on top of ice cream?

* Inadvertently starts 25-page thread by August who hates ketchup, turkey and candied cherries.
Candied cherries? No.

Brandied cherries? Yes.

Preferably as part of French 75 cocktail.

Reaction Score
Wow. Forgot about Durham. Hopefully he comes back full strength and also adds to the insane talent of my projected team.

Is it a little overzealous to put such lofty expectations on 17-18? Probably. But just look at that roster. If everything shakes out with no transfers and no one leaving early, that team's potential would be insane. On paper at least, it's our most talented team ever IMO based off of recruiting rankings. Insane athleticism at each position (besides C, but Steve will be fine). Like I said, I will do my best not to look past 16-17, but if you honestly haven't at least given a passing thought to how good we could be in 17-18 you're lying to yourself.

Reaction Score
Wow. Forgot about Durham. Hopefully he comes back full strength and also adds to the insane talent of my projected team.

Is it a little overzealous to put such lofty expectations on 17-18? Probably. But just look at that roster. If everything shakes out with no transfers and no one leaving early, that team's potential would be insane. On paper at least, it's our most talented team ever IMO based off of recruiting rankings. Insane athleticism at each position (besides C, but Steve will be fine). Like I said, I will do my best not to look past 16-17, but if you honestly haven't at least given a passing thought to how good we could be in 17-18 you're lying to yourself.
@tcf15 , could you send us the scholarship grid? Thank you either way!!

Last edited by a moderator:

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
@tcf15 , could you send us the scholarship grid? Thank you either way!!
I edited TCF to @tcf for you. If you put in the @ sign and start writing a posters name a box will appear that you can click on and that posters name will be placed in your message in the format that will alert the poster you tagged them and he can check the post. The way you originally wrote it, tcf15 may never have known you wrote to him.

Reaction Score
I edited TCF to @tcf for you. If you put in the @ sign and start writing a posters name a box will appear that you can click on and that posters name will be placed in your message in the format that will alert the poster you tagged them and he can check the post. The way you originally wrote it, tcf15 may never have known you wrote to him.
Thanks for the heads up bud, much appreciated!

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Well, if you shouldn't be too excited about them when they are just freshmen, and you shouldn't look ahead to when they are sophomores and you know the best of them will leave by the time they are juniors, what does that leave to be excited about?

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
On paper at least, it's our most talented team ever IMO based off of recruiting rankings.
I think Caron's second year is still No. 1 for that. Caron, Taliek & Hazelton were basically all McDonald's All-Americans; Selvie the JuCo player of the year (and was recruited like he was a five-star); Ben & Tony were top 40 recruits, and Emeka was top 100.

I think by sheer volume of high 4-star talent next year's might be the deepest, but that 2002 had four 5-star players and two very high 4-stars as well.

The 2012 team with Andre, DeAndre & Oriakhi also had 3 five-stars and a couple of high four-stars (Roscoe & Boat), then a few other solid 4-stars (Shabazz & Lamb).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom