SF Justin Jackson (picks Maryland) | Page 17 | The Boneyard

SF Justin Jackson (picks Maryland)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Jerry Meyer crystal ball pick for us as of yesterday morning
Thanks for the information but these picks are about as valuable as all the drudge we Boneyarders put in these threads. Maybe even less valuable given that some of us find entertainment in our senseless posts while many of us recognize the crystal balls are about as meaningful as the Russian Olympic Federations declaration they don't cheat or the NCAA declaration they care about student athletes getting a proper education.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The one thing that might be worse than crystal ball picks are the posts telling us to ignore crystal ball picks.

We get it.
Who wants people to ignore the crystal balls. I'm proposing value in senseless posts.

Reaction Score
Jerry Meyer crystal ball pick for us as of yesterday morning

JM is the only one of the CB that are worth following. 95% of them are sheep following a few of the guys who are connected. Truly the only time there is any real validity is when a recruit gives an announcement date

Reaction Score
Thanks for the information but these picks are about as valuable as all the drudge we Boneyarders put in these threads. Maybe even less valuable given that some of us find entertainment in our senseless posts while many of us recognize the crystal balls are about as meaningful as the Russian Olympic Federations declaration they don't cheat or the NCAA declaration they care about student athletes getting a proper education.
You don't really have to guess how valuable or not valuable these picks are, there are metrics on the site that help quantify the value. For the 2016 class Jerry Meyer has been correct 139 times out of 190 (73%), with an average days correct of 114.4. He is ranked 2nd most accurate on the site for the 2016 class.

Reaction Score
Hopefully once this weekend is over we can be on watch for him to set an announcement date.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
wish this thread was locked so when there's an update or news someone can create a new thread

Reaction Score
Lol. Sorry for posting a crystal ball pick from one of the more reliable guys on 247. In the future I'll only contribute to the 10+ pages of absolute nonsense in this thread.

And yes I know crystal balls suck for the most part. Diamond Stone was the first recruit who I really followed and got me into this addiction that is UConn recruiting. I learned the hard way there that they usually don't mean crap.

c29328

On Smoko
Reaction Score
I love the crystal ball pick posts. Love them. The inevitable denigration of the selection and source whether for or against then quickly capped by a defensive "he was right such and such a time" original poster. I just know whats coming and I still laugh each time. I am a crystal addict and no I don't want any help. No offense meant since I assume you have best interests in mind. We are just all so predictable.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You don't really have to guess how valuable or not valuable these picks are, there are metrics on the site that help quantify the value. For the 2016 class Jerry Meyer has been correct 139 times out of 190 (73%), with an average days correct of 114.4. He is ranked 2nd most accurate on the site for the 2016 class.
Lol. Sorry for posting a crystal ball pick from one of the more reliable guys on 247. In the future I'll only contribute to the 10+ pages of absolute nonsense in this thread.

And yes I know crystal balls suck for the most part. Diamond Stone was the first recruit who I really followed and got me into this addiction that is UConn recruiting. I learned the hard way there that they usually don't mean crap.
Didn't know the statistic. First time I've heard of this metric. My post was tongue in cheek but I'm glad I made it. It gave me some information I wasn't aware of and I'm sure there are others equally unaware of it. Is there a median statistic for accuracy?

Who is the number one dude?

Reaction Score
Didn't know the statistic. First time I've heard of this metric. My post was tongue in cheek but I'm glad I made it. It gave me some information I wasn't aware of and I'm sure there are others equally unaware of it. Is there a median statistic for accuracy?

Who is the number one dude?
Corey Evans from Hoopseen. He hasn't made a prediction for Jackson yet.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Corey Evans from Hoopseen. He hasn't made a prediction for Jackson yet.
Thanks. Is there a breakdown of the accuracy or just a summation of the averages?

Reaction Score
Thanks. Is there a breakdown of the accuracy or just a summation of the averages?
Not sure what you're looking for in terms of a breakdown, but you can see a list of each individual pick someone has made, when they made the pick, and whether they were right or wrong. There are also points assigned to each correct pick, but I've never taken the time to figure out how that is calculated, or what other data is out on the site. Everything I've mentioned is available if you just click on the name of someone who makes picks and go from there.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Not sure what you're looking for in terms of a breakdown, but you can see a list of each individual pick someone has made, when they made the pick, and whether they were right or wrong. There are also points assigned to each correct pick, but I've never taken the time to figure out how that is calculated, or what other data is out on the site. Everything I've mentioned is available if you just click on the name of someone who makes picks and go from there.
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Went to the site and was impressed that many of his picks were two or more weeks from the time of announcement. I was confused by your statement above of average days correct of 114.4. Not sure I understand that reference.

Reaction Score
Thanks for taking the time to respond. Went to the site and was impressed that many of his picks were two or more weeks from the time of announcement. I was confused by your statement above of average days correct of 114.4. Not sure I understand that reference.
I believe it means that for the picks where he was correct, on average he made his correct pick 114 days before the kid announced his choice, so he was "correct for 114 days". This is just my guess based upon 0 research.

If you look through his picks, he has many that are made the week of the announcement, but there are also other ones where he made a correct pick a couple of years before the kid announced. It only takes a few of those where he was correct for 700+ days to really bring up the average.

Reaction Score
If UK or Duke offers a sophomore, they usually get that kid. And the crystal ball guys know it, so when those offers go out they immediately pick said player to land at UK or Duke -- which pumps up the "average days" metric.

This is starting to apply a little bit to UConn as well -- a bunch of guys picked Reeves to go here when we offered him the other day. If he eventually signs with us, they'll look prescient. But it's really just a smart bet that almost anybody who follows recruiting could make if they wanted to.

I personally think the national guys (even Meyer & Evans) aren't all that knowledgable, and it's the local guys who are worth following. Slater (the dude who has a Duke blog) just picked Bolden to Kentucky, for example. And he picked Waters to Duke the day before Duke offered him.

Anyway, I think the crystal ball is a hell of a lot of fun, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Recruiting is fluid. ;)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
If UK or Duke offers a sophomore, they usually get that kid. And the crystal ball guys know it, so when those offers go out they immediately pick said player to land at UK or Duke -- which pumps up the "average days" metric.

This is starting to apply a little bit to UConn as well -- a bunch of guys picked Reeves to go here when we offered him the other day. If he eventually signs with us, they'll look prescient. But it's really just a smart bet that almost anybody who follows recruiting could make if they wanted to.

I personally think the national guys (even Meyer & Evans) aren't all that knowledgable, and it's the local guys who are worth following. Slater (the dude who has a Duke blog) just picked Bolden to Kentucky, for example. And he picked Waters to Duke the day before Duke offered him.

Anyway, I think the crystal ball is a hell of a lot of fun, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. Recruiting is fluid. ;)
Thanks. I guessed without looking that the numbers of correct days 7774 mentions would be inflated with the "sure thing" picks. But Meyers has a lot of 3-6 weeks correct picks ahead of announcements and not many of those are with the top echelon schools. So he must have decent contacts that allows him to be accurate. If most of his accuracy was the same day or day prior to the announcement plus the point you make in your first paragraph I would stay skeptical. But there were enough picks to indicate my skepticism isn't warranted.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I guessed without looking that the numbers of correct days 7774 mentions would be inflated with the "sure thing" picks. But Meyers has a lot of 3-6 weeks correct picks ahead of announcements and not many of those are with the top echelon schools. So he must have decent contacts that allows him to be accurate. If most of his accuracy was the same day or day prior to the announcement plus the point you make in your first paragraph I would stay skeptical. But there were enough picks to indicate my skepticism isn't warranted.
I'm definitely interested to see what happens with Jackson, because it's odd for Jerry Meyer to make a pick for us right before he goes on an official at a different school.

I've noticed that Jerry likes to change his pick to whichever school the recruit will be making a visit, as a way to game the system with these crystal balls. He knows that a kid isn't going to be on an official visit at one school and commit to some other school. The kid will either commit on the visit, and he will be correct, or the kid won't commit anywhere and he can reevaluate his pick when the visit is over.

Picking us right before he goes to Oregon is an outlier from his normal behavior.

Reaction Score
"While we can't give out the full recipe to the "secret sauce," the points formula is based on how early predictions are made, the percent of picks that are correct, the prospect's 247Sports Composite rating and more."

Ideally it would give more weight to correct picks with less switched picks. They have the capability to measure that, so hopefully it's included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom