S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 34 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don’t know how many games SC will not be the favorite this season, maybe 3-5 times. So the expectations are still there, I just seem to feel this team is going to need some time to find their best self, and the schedule is loaded. Would not surprise me if they take some lumps early.
Agreed. We have some learning to do and it’s not like we are suddenly a team that our opponents won’t get jacked up to play us in the early season. Five or less losses and a top 8 seed going into the tournament will put us right where we need to be. Another SEC tournament championship (in Greenville) as an NCAA warmup will do me fine ( and make Kim have tantrums)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Agreed. We have some learning to do and it’s not like we are suddenly a team that our opponents won’t get jacked up to play us in the early season. Five or less losses and a top 8 seed going into the tournament will put us right where we need to be. Another SEC tournament championship (in Greenville) as an NCAA warmup will do me fine ( and make Kim have tantrums)
I think they’ll be top 5 most of the year. SC still has more size and athleticism than possibly anyone in the country, plus they’ve added in shooters. There’ll be a learning curve but I think they’ll be in the title hunt again. Big Ten and SEC will have some loaded battles next year.

Reaction Score
I think they’ll be top 5 most of the year. SC still has more size and athleticism than possibly anyone in the country, plus they’ve added in shooters. There’ll be a learning curve but I think they’ll be in the title hunt again. Big Ten and SEC will have some loaded battles next year.
SC will probably start a little slow, slower than usual compared to recent years. Not sure how they will finish, but I suspect much better than they start.

Reaction Score
This program had similar dynamics/question marks heading into the ‘16-‘17 and ‘19-‘20 seasons. Heck even the ‘20-‘21 season with the graduations of Ty and Kiki and Lele being the lone senior. South Carolina, like those seasons, will be just fine. I see no more than 5 losses as they navigate and grow through a tough schedule. I see them again being a #1 seed in the NCAAT.

Reaction Score
It would sure be weird to go from being a birdie to announcing a top 12 four days later. Therein lies one of the problems with the birdie thing. It leads to needless and potentially inaccurate speculation about a kid making an important decision. Here you are 2 years later speculating about a UConn player on a UConn message board.
This is a SCar thread Sir/ all due respect

Reaction Score
Kamilla Cardoso goes for 20 and 11 in the gold medal game to defeat the USA. Named tournament MVP.

She's going to surprise folks.

Reaction Score
Kamilla Cardoso goes for 20 and 11 in the gold medal game to defeat the USA. Named tournament MVP.

She's going to surprise folks.
Not much of a surprise, everyone in nation saw her play last season, she is the best big in WCBB, no question…Betts on the rise and of course Stanford 5 Brinks is in the mix as always. Who else?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm wondering how Cardoso will handle the Boston treatment. I think it may take some time getting used to being the focal point of the opponent's defensive efforts. I hope we shoot it better from 3 this season so we can punish teams for leaving their man.

Reaction Score
Multiple players on the roster that can create their own shot so that itself will help Kamilla down low, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she has a lot of performances like she did in the final. One thing that held the team back last season was the fact that only one person could created their own offense consistently and that was Zia. Aliyah could too but she needed to get the ball first and when she got it she was doubled and tripled. With more floor spacers/ creators I don’t think Kamilla will have that problem. I also think Dawn will definitely have them playing intense defense too, that’s something she doesn’t tolerate and her teams are never not in the category for outstanding defense.

Reaction Score
I'm wondering how Cardoso will handle the Boston treatment. I think it may take some time getting used to being the focal point of the opponent's defensive efforts. I hope we shoot it better from 3 this season so we can punish teams for leaving their man.
I feel in Paopao, Lay, and Breezy, we have 3 players who are comfortable taking their shot. Raven could be as well. We’ll see how much PT Tessa averages this season as she seems poised to launch some threes herself. (I like how during the media event last week, Te-Hina and Tessa both spoke about how each were thinking how they could help this team offensively while they were watching the FF game against Iowa).

Also Sania, Ashlyn, and Kima might be more comfortable shooting mid-range shots than V and LA were, which could also serve to open up the paint.

Reaction Score
Multiple players on the roster that can create their own shot so that itself will help Kamilla down low, so I wouldn’t be surprised if she has a lot of performances like she did in the final. One thing that held the team back last season was the fact that only one person could created their own offense consistently and that was Zia. Aliyah could too but she needed to get the ball first and when she got it she was doubled and tripled. With more floor spacers/ creators I don’t think Kamilla will have that problem. I also think Dawn will definitely have them playing intense defense too, that’s something she doesn’t tolerate and her teams are never not in the category for outstanding defense.
That's my hope too but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, Kamilla is the only proven player on the big stage. I'm excited though, because we have a lot of potential!

Reaction Score
I feel in Paopao, Lay, and Breezy, we have 3 players who are comfortable taking their shot. Raven could be as well. We’ll see how much PT Tessa averages this season as she seems poised to launch some threes herself. (I like how during the media event last week, Te-Hina and Tessa both spoke about how each were thinking how they could help this team offensively while they were watching the FF game against Iowa).

Also Sania, Ashlyn, and Kima might be more comfortable shooting mid-range shots than V and LA were, which could also serve to open up the paint.
I only saw the Fulwiley interview. Is there a way I can find the others?

Reaction Score

You are leaving Chloe out of your list in the last sentence. I think she may have one of the best mid-range games of our bigs (if she is a "Big")

Here's an excerpt from a recent article by the State:

"Kitts played multiple positions in high school but said she anticipates playing on the perimeter in 2023-24 for the Gamecocks.

She’ll certainly have an opportunity to make an impact — especially as a 3-point shooter, which Staley has routinely touted as one of Kitts’ best qualities — with seven scholarship players moving on from last year’s roster."

Reaction Score
Not much of a surprise, everyone in nation saw her play last season, she is the best big in WCBB, no question…Betts on the rise and of course Stanford 5 Brinks is in the mix as always. Who else?
Cameron Brink is the best big in college right now. 25 and 5 vs South Carolina ,plethora of bigs, last season. I believe Kamilla played 10 mins. Production>Potential.

Reaction Score
That's my hope too but I'll believe it when I see it. Right now, Kamilla is the only proven player on the big stage. I'm excited though, because we have a lot of potential!
Raven and Breezy are proven on the big stage and Ashlyn and Sania aren’t far behind. Raven was on of our best players in the games against UConn and Iowa and was very good taking over the starting role when she had to. I think Breezy lack of minutes is why some may question her but her game against Stanford pretty much said she’s ready just needs the minutes. Ashlyn and Sania showed flashes as well, remember LSU two years ago when Aliyah was in foul trouble and Sania came in and the team didn’t miss a beat. Or when SC had foul trouble against Stanford she came in and the team made a run to cut the lead and she held her own against Brink. Ashlyn just has to tone down her over aggressiveness which I think she will. I’m not even basing what I say in potential either. I’ve seen them practice in open practices so I know what they can bring when it’s their time to step up.

Reaction Score

I like the pick and roll action with Kamilla Cardoso hopefully coach staley will start using our bigs in pick and roll action not just back to the basket.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
IF Ayoka Lee has healed 100% . . .
Now that’s a good argument. I’m giving the slight edge to Brink. Personally, I like versatile bigs. I would have loved to see LA start alongside Boston at South Carolina.

Reaction Score

I like the pick and roll action with Kamilla Cardoso hopefully coach staley will start using our bigs in pick and roll action not just back to the basket.

I said this like last month, I think she will tweak her offense just a bit to fit the style of players she will have this year. There really isn’t a true back to the basket presence and Paopao mainly played in a P-N-R system and is likely comfortable getting her shots coming off screens, so I expect we will see it a bit more this year. Not sure why they went away from it but in the 19-20 season they ran it a bit with Ty and Aliyah but went away from it the following season.

Reaction Score
Raven and Breezy are proven on the big stage and Ashlyn and Sania aren’t far behind. Raven was on of our best players in the games against UConn and Iowa and was very good taking over the starting role when she had to. I think Breezy lack of minutes is why some may question her but her game against Stanford pretty much said she’s ready just needs the minutes. Ashlyn and Sania showed flashes as well, remember LSU two years ago when Aliyah was in foul trouble and Sania came in and the team didn’t miss a beat. Or when SC had foul trouble against Stanford she came in and the team made a run to cut the lead and she held her own against Brink. Ashlyn just has to tone down her over aggressiveness which I think she will. I’m not even basing what I say in potential either. I’ve seen them practice in open practices so I know what they can bring when it’s their time to step up.
Oh yeah, I forgot about a few of those moments. I guess the original intent behind my statement was to highlight consistency against great oponents throughout the season. Of that group, only Cardoso is proven but Raven/Breezy are not too far behind. Raven, Sania, and Breezy have had hot/cold performances against the best, which is ok as a backup, but they'll need to step it up now that they are the upperclassmen and they don't have the freshies as a safety net.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom