S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 32 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Milaysia had been practicing in an 11 jersey so I thought she was taking Coopers number but I guess not.

Reaction Score

Preview of USA vs Brazil/ Raven vs Kamilla. My question is who is gonna guard Cardoso? Is it Betts?

Reaction Score

Preview of USA vs Brazil/ Raven vs Kamilla. My question is who is gonna guard Cardoso? Is it Betts?

Not initially I think as Betts has been coming off the bench, but who knows? This will be an very interesting chess match. Too bad I have to wait until later tonight to watch it. :(

Reaction Score

OMG just being honest. Captain Will is not a good source for Gamecock information. Clueless- he and Lucky Murray are just capitilizing on WBB notoriety. No true Gamecock fan would post this as inside info on SCar WBB.

Reaction Score

IMO team runs better with Raven at the point guard

USA did not have a good game against Brasil. Betts was good defensively against Cardoso and I thought Rikea Jackson has an alright first half. Other than that...guard play was atrocious. Raven was one of the better ones of the bunch but it wasn't pretty. She had a good pull-up jumper with 1 second on the clock before halftime and a good high-low feed to Angel Reece that perfectly positioned Reece for two easy points. She had a few flashes of brilliance but also had her share of bad plays.

I only watched the first half and Deja Kelley and Charisma Osborne were absolute liabilities on the court. If this game is indicative of the team USA players at the next level, then I don't see many players making a WNBA roster. The shots were not falling for Rickea but she was making good decisions and seemed to be the only one that could weave through the defense for an open look. To me, she looked like the best player on team USA and the only player that is WNBA ready.

Back to Raven... I can tell she has been working on her 3-pointer. She shot it with confidence and it has a more rounded arc. She was 0-3 during the first half but they all looked good and were bouncing off the rim. I expect she will be a 30-40% 3-point shooter this next season with a modest amount of takes (like 4 to 5 per game).

Reaction Score
USA did not have a good game against Brasil. Betts was good defensively against Cardoso and I thought Rikea Jackson has an alright first half. Other than that...guard play was atrocious. Raven was one of the better ones of the bunch but it wasn't pretty. She had a good pull-up jumper with 1 second on the clock before halftime and a good high-low feed to Angel Reece that perfectly positioned Reece for two easy points. She had a few flashes of brilliance but also had her share of bad plays.

I only watched the first half and Deja Kelley and Charisma Osborne were absolute liabilities on the court. If this game is indicative of the team USA players at the next level, then I don't see many players making a WNBA roster. The shots were not falling for Rickea but she was making good decisions and seemed to be the only one that could weave through the defense for an open look. To me, she looked like the best player on team USA and the only player that is WNBA ready.

Back to Raven... I can tell she has been working on her 3-pointer. She shot it with confidence and it has a more rounded arc. She was 0-3 during the first half but they all looked good and were bouncing off the rim. I expect she will be a 30-40% 3-point shooter this next season with a modest amount of takes (like 4 to 5 per game).
I think Raven will be fine in November. This was not a team set up for her strengths. I agree about Rickea. She’ll be a first round pick, especially if she picks up her defensive game. She’s got the rest of the package. As for Osborne and Kelly, they may not realize that their style of play — crash into a defender on a drive and hope for a foul call — won’t cut it in the W. There are simply too many little guards with much better perimeter shots. As for Angel, I'm sure she'll go high in the first round, and she'll find some success at the next level. But I don't expect she'll be a star, not unless she develops a consistent midrange game, and maybe a perimeter shot. Otherwise, she's just an undersized post with good energy trying to outrebound the tall trees.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think Raven will be fine in November. This was not a team set up for her strengths. I agree about Rickea. She’ll be a first round pick, especially if she picks up her defensive game. She’s got the rest of the package. As for Osborne and Kelly, they may not realize that their style of play — crash into a defender on a drive and hope for a foul call — won’t cut it in the W. There are simply too many little guards with much better perimeter shots.

In fairness, they're not the only players guilty of driving into multiple defenders hoping to score. I'm seeing this a fair bit with Prosper and Fields for the Canadian team during this tournament. While Fields has been effective, it hasn't been that way for Prosper. And don't take the stats against Columbia too seriously. A lot of her points came when the game was well in hand last night.

Reaction Score

I think Cardoso and Betts canceled each other out. IMO... Betts scored on Cardoso twice and Cardoso scored on Betts three times. The only reason Betts had more rebounds is because she played more minutes than Cardoso. I believe the coaching staff will take all this film and make adjustment to improve Cardoso game. Cardoso won't play many players that will match her size next season so she still will demand a double team. Same with Raven Johnson.

Reaction Score
I think Cardoso and Betts canceled each other out. IMO... Betts scored on Cardoso twice and Cardoso scored on Betts three times. The only reason Betts had more rebounds is because she played more minutes than Cardoso. I believe the coaching staff will take all this film and make adjustment to improve Cardoso game. Cardoso won't play many players that will match her size next season so she still will demand a double team. Same with Raven Johnson.
I could definitely tell it was a wake up call for both Cardoso and Betts. I don't think either player has been paired up with someone at their height and their inability to use it as an advantage showed. I would agree that they cancelled each other out, from what I saw but Cardoso was better at defending guards, whereas Betts seemed a little more flat-footed and had late reaction times when switching.

Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not a bad trend for USC. This is the 2nd June committment in as many years that has not reveald themselves in 72hrs after giving Coach Staley their pledge. My personal belief is that it was KK Arnold last year 2022 that was the June committment that never went public.

Reaction Score
I could definitely tell it was a wake up call for both Cardoso and Betts. I don't think either player has been paired up with someone at their height and their inability to use it as an advantage showed. I would agree that they cancelled each other out, from what I saw but Cardoso was better at defending guards, whereas Betts seemed a little more flat-footed and had late reaction times when switching.
I think it’s pretty common for bigs to have a sort of culture shock at the D1 level since they’re not always used to playing against kids their size. These two just managed to avoid kids their size for longer.

And I agree that Betts seemed a bit lumbering. I was surprised that she was ranked #1 out of hs because of this. Kamila runs the court much better and has since her Syracuse days.

Reaction Score
I am not clear on what you were meaning in your last sentence on Johnson. Are you suggesting that her offensive game will result in other teams needing to double team her?

Reaction Score
Hopefully this is not a bad trend for USC. This is the 2nd June committment in as many years that has not reveald themselves in 72hrs after giving Coach Staley their pledge. My personal belief is that it was KK Arnold last year 2022 that was the June committment that never went public.
Have no idea if this is commitment related but on our On3 site the WBB reporter stated today that some sort of an announcement is coming tomorrow. It may be team related and not an announcement from a commit. He mentioned it in his story about the newcomers who had their media day today.

I still have a hunch that Madisen McDaniel is the commit and she could be coming in early. I say that bc something pushed Talaysia out the door and Madisen McDaniel had her recruit pics taken in a 23 jersey instead of 24 which would be her class.

I could be completely off base but that is my guess.

Reaction Score
I am not clear on what you were meaning in your last sentence on Johnson. Are you suggesting that her offensive game will result in other teams needing to double team her?
I was saying that kamilla will not face other bigs her size very often this season. So she will still demand a double team. IMO

Reaction Score
Have no idea if this is commitment related but on our On3 site the WBB reporter stated today that some sort of an announcement is coming tomorrow. It may be team related and not an announcement from a commit. He mentioned it in his story about the newcomers who had their media day today.

I still have a hunch that Madisen McDaniel is the commit and she could be coming in early. I say that bc something pushed Talaysia out the door and Madisen McDaniel had her recruit pics taken in a 23 jersey instead of 24 which would be her class.

I could be completely off base but that is my guess.
Thanks for the insight. ..I also learned something regarding the pictures.. So the Jersy they wear represents the siging year..got it.. .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
KK Arnold committed to UConn in November 2021.

Reaction Score
Whats Kamilla saying? You think she is being cocky after the win over Team USA ?

Reaction Score
Whats Kamilla saying? You think she is being cocky after the win over Team USA ?

The Tweet translation works out to: "One of the highlights of Brazil in the @americupw until here, @Kamillascsilva also spoke about the triumph against the USA". She talks about passing the ball, which was key in their success yesterday. Brazil's ball movement was really good. Wouldn't try to read into it more than necessary.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Kamilla will take player interviews this season. I don't recall her taking questions after games or before events and I always wondered if that was intentional because of a lack of confidence in her English skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom