S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 30 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
poa poa, lay and tessa. arrived like two weeks ago plus they just started summer workouts so other guard look better than she thought???

Arrived but she knew they were coming and there was gonna be competition

Reaction Score
It’s not about guaranteeing minutes though. It is about giving a realistic look into the depth chart and where they should expect to fall without improving xy and z while they still have time to enter the portal in the window. It’s why most players transfer at that time… coaches let them know how likely they are to get minutes the following season based on who’s coming back and who’s coming in. South Carolina didn’t add anyone after the window closed so there shouldn’t have been any major surprises come summer.
And how can a coach project a depth chart when the players she is comparing haven't even set foot on campus or performed against college competition? I feel like a lot of assumptions would have to be made by the coach. Dawn has the data to let T. Coop know where she stood against teammates from last year's team, like Hall, but it would be a tall task to let T. Coop know where she stood against the likes of Fulwiley and T. Johnson.

Reaction Score
It’s not about guaranteeing minutes though. It is about giving a realistic look into the depth chart and where they should expect to fall without improving xy and z while they still have time to enter the portal in the window. It’s why most players transfer at that time… coaches let them know how likely they are to get minutes the following season based on who’s coming back and who’s coming in. South Carolina didn’t add anyone after the window closed so there shouldn’t have been any major surprises come summer.
This has been done for years at SC, Dawn and her staff have been honest and open about competing for playing time. That's what the end of the year interviews are for. It seems a little deceiving to assume that the coaching staff wouldn't try to put their players in the best position possible.

Reaction Score
And how can a coach project a depth chart when the players she is comparing haven't even set foot on campus or performed against college competition? I feel like a lot of assumptions would have to be made by the coach. Dawn has the data to let T. Coop know where she stood against teammates from last year's team, like Hall, but it would be a tall task to let T. Coop know where she stood against the likes of Fulwiley and T. Johnson.
And two weeks of summer session was enough to have such clarity? Dawn would be the only coach, men’s and women’s game, that I’ve heard of that doesn’t have some idea whether they expect freshman to contribute or compete with an existing player for a spot. They may not know for sure but they should know enough to give their players a realistic idea so they aren’t caught off guard in June and can still transfer within the portal window.

I mean she recruited Pao Pao for goodness sakes, she had to have some idea that Cooper was going to be low on depth chart if she recruited a transfer in over her.

That being said it’s possible she did give Cooper a realistic heads up and maybe Cooper didn’t believe her? Idk but strange situation all around.

Reaction Score
This has been done for years at SC, Dawn and her staff have been honest and open about competing for playing time. That's what the end of the year interviews are for. It seems a little deceiving to assume that the coaching staff wouldn't try to put their players in the best position possible.
Exactly my point, so what happened here? It’s not weird that she transfered, it’s weird when she transferred. I’d would wager that this is the least common time of the year for basketball transfers unless something extraordinary happens like a coaching change or family emergency.

Sorry don’t mean to harrass you guys in your thread, I have a particular interest in transfers due to the men’s team I follow which an essentially transfer central so I find myself obsessing over the most random ones!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Nobody knows the cause of the timing for the transfer. Nobody in this thread. Unless you're Dawn, Talaysia, Coop's parents, or one of the other coaches and you post on tBY.

What we do know is that Dawn always has end of the year conversations with each player and that's usually when most transfers for us happen. Cooper didn't transfer at the time for whatever reason. She decided to now. We don't know why. And we'll likely never know. Let's not speculate and spend the next 3 pages arguing about things we don't understand.

Let's wish Coop well and talk about how we now have another scholarship spot for the class of '24 and how we are still in need of some offensive firepower in the next two classes.

Reaction Score
Exactly my point, so what happened here? It’s not weird that she transfered, it’s weird when she transferred. I’d would wager that this is the least common time of the year for basketball transfers unless something extraordinary happens like a coaching change or family emergency.

Sorry don’t mean to harrass you guys in your thread, I have a particular interest in transfers due to the men’s team I follow which an essentially transfer central so I find myself obsessing over the most random ones!
I agree those conversations happen but I don't agree with the method of those conversations that you laid out. Its a very different conversation to tell someone that they would backup an incoming freshman if they don't improve vs, for example, telling someone that they'll be competing against freshmen for playing time so they should continue improving because those freshman are very talented.

lol but who knows the real reason. I'm tired of this topic. It could be something going on at home, under the table NIL dealings from other universities, mental health reasons...who knows?!

I wish her the best wherever she goes in life.

Reaction Score
She will land on her feet at a good program, too much potential there. Sorry to see her leave SC but tbh, SC is loaded at the guard spots so maybe best for her.

Reaction Score
Sigh.

I was hoping to hear “ CAROLINA GIRLS” playing in CLA while she was on the court with Watkins, Fulwiley, Edwards and Strong. Oh well. :(

Best of luck to her. I’ll even wish her well if she ends up at Clempsun.

Reaction Score
It just appeared in The State, so it seems pretty official. Yeah, my completely uninformed guess is that she saw that the incoming guards (Lay, Paopao, Tessa) were going to pass her on the depth chart and prevent her from getting meaningful playing time. So she decided that if she was going to ride the bench that she would rather sit out a year at another university while she learns their system.
No IMO thats not it. Its probaby a chemistry thing with the other girls. She can also play off the ball..she does not need to be a PG. ..plus look at the timing of her leaving school. They have not had any practices-just drills so its not about competition.

Reaction Score
Arrived but she knew they were coming and there was gonna be competition
No thats not it. She is a top 7 player type all time in the state of SCar. ths is not about minutes or depth chart

Reaction Score
She knew they was coming months ago. I guess she had to see it in person?...
They are not practing right now. Just drills and workouts on their on.... So its something else l for her that has nothing to do with depth chart. . Just think it through... also this staff spent 5 years recruting this kid. So don't rule out the staff trying to get her back in the fold..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Because she would have to sit out a year as the portal window is over. I do think it's true but the timing is unfortunate as its a terrible look for a program of South Carolina's stature to have a player leave the day before coaches deadlines to inform players whether they are getting their scholarships renewed. Whether or not thats what happened her its likely to raise some eyebrows around the country.

We aren't anywhere near full on the roster, so that would be a pretty foolish thing to insinuate.

I do not love having to rely on Tessa Johnson and Fulwiley defensively in particular, so this isn't what I would have picked to happen for the coming season.

Going to be a very new and somewhat thin roster facing a challenging schedule.

Long term I think it's a minor thing as SC should be fine recruiting replacements from the Top 20 or the portal one would hope. I saw a lot more out of Rivers and their cases are similar.

Reaction Score
I didn't say thats what happened, I said its terrible timing. I do think it's a bad look to have a player transfer after the portal closes at the end of June, Cooper should have already know her place in the depth chart so not sure what changed to surprise her between when the portal was open and now. Its possible she knew but didn't believe it until she played with the new players herself, though she used to play with Fulwiley so not sure how big of surprise that would be?. Sad situation all around.

I do not think it's a look at all.

Reaction Score
No thats not it. She is a top 7 player type all time in the state of SCar. ths is not about minutes or depth chart

It doesn't matter what she did in Class A high school basketball.

The only question is where she stacked up on the roster she was on.

There were no signs that she was destined to be a star but she certainly looked like a big guard who could contribute.

The timing isn't great because replacing her is unlikely but the big picture of the program isn't really affected.

Reaction Score
No IMO thats not it. Its probaby a chemistry thing with the other girls. She can also play off the ball..she does not need to be a PG. ..plus look at the timing of her leaving school. They have not had any practices-just drills so its not about competition.
If it was a chemistry problem I pray the rest of the players have their ego in check so we can lock in the season

Reaction Score

There were no signs that she was destined to be a star but she certainly looked like a big guard who could contribute.

The timing isn't great because replacing her is unlikely but the big picture of the program isn't really affected.
My guess is florida state with latson.

Reaction Score

Thats what the Ancient Romans said when they lost their first battle in Germania.

Reaction Score
Nobody knows the cause of the timing for the transfer. Nobody in this thread. Unless you're Dawn, Talaysia, Coop's parents, or one of the other coaches and you post on tBY.

What we do know is that Dawn always has end of the year conversations with each player and that's usually when most transfers for us happen. Cooper didn't transfer at the time for whatever reason. She decided to now. We don't know why. And we'll likely never know. Let's not speculate and spend the next 3 pages arguing about things we don't understand.

Let's wish Coop well and talk about how we now have another scholarship spot for the class of '24 and how we are still in need of some offensive firepower in the next two classes.

I think Cooper gave us someone who looked likely to be solid on both ends. For me, I'm not sure PG was the fit, but it was a work in progress. She probably can be really productive in a high usage situation somewhere.

I think Fulwiley had a similar high school situation as Rivers and Cooper so I'm crossing my fingers. She is a better shooter which might make a big difference. I doubt she is any more patient.

It seems as though this class would ideally have an elite pg and an elite big guard who can shoot. Preferably from the national program or somewhere with a good bit of structure.

And of course Edwards.

And a center.

Reaction Score
Thats what the Ancient Romans said when they lost their first battle in Germania.
Uhh ... What?

The long term of the program being the very cream of the elite is in a lot of doubt because we don't know what the next generation is yet, but Cooper doesn't really figure into it much, imo.

Reaction Score
My guess is florida state with latson.
An insider on our gamecock on3 site said they heard from someone in Chloe Kitts camp that FSU pushed for her to transfer to them and that Dawn was made aware and dealt with it. So it would be interesting if that’s where Coop ends up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom