S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season | Page 29 | The Boneyard

S.C. Gamecocks 2023 off season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
SEC schedule. Playing Tennessee twice this year is… interesting.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Why can't we ever play unc at home?
I was also hoping we got a home game in the matchup especially considering SC has lead the nation in attendance the past 8 years. Carmichael arena is super small and congested and a game of that magnitude should definitely be in a bigger venue.

Reaction Score
I was also hoping we got a home game in the matchup especially considering SC has lead the nation in attendance the past 8 years. Carmichael arena is super small and congested and a game of that magnitude should definitely be in a bigger venue.
Intimidation

Reaction Score
Why not?
Because she would have to sit out a year as the portal window is over. I do think it's true but the timing is unfortunate as its a terrible look for a program of South Carolina's stature to have a player leave the day before coaches deadlines to inform players whether they are getting their scholarships renewed. Whether or not thats what happened her its likely to raise some eyebrows around the country.

Reaction Score
Because she would have to sit out a year as the portal window is over. I do think it's true but the timing is unfortunate as its a terrible look for a program of South Carolina's stature to have a player leave the day before coaches deadlines to inform players whether they are getting their scholarships renewed. Whether or not thats what happened her its likely to raise some eyebrows around the country.
We have plenty of scholarships. It was the competition

Reaction Score
Not an issue here as 9 yrs ago USC was the first SEC school to guarantee full 4 yr scholarships.

IMG_5651.jpeg

Reaction Score
It just appeared in The State, so it seems pretty official. Yeah, my completely uninformed guess is that she saw that the incoming guards (Lay, Paopao, Tessa) were going to pass her on the depth chart and prevent her from getting meaningful playing time. So she decided that if she was going to ride the bench that she would rather sit out a year at another university while she learns their system.

Reaction Score
It just appeared in The State, so it seems pretty official. Yeah, my completely uninformed guess is that she saw that the incoming guards (Lay, Paopao, Tessa) were going to pass her on the depth chart and prevent her from getting meaningful playing time. So she decided that if she was going to ride the bench that she would rather sit out a year at another university while she learns their system.

But shouldn’t she have seen it sooner? So she wouldn’t have to sit a year.

Reaction Score
We have plenty of scholarships. It was the competition
I didn't say thats what happened, I said its terrible timing. I do think it's a bad look to have a player transfer after the portal closes at the end of June, Cooper should have already know her place in the depth chart so not sure what changed to surprise her between when the portal was open and now. Its possible she knew but didn't believe it until she played with the new players herself, though she used to play with Fulwiley so not sure how big of surprise that would be?. Sad situation all around.

Reaction Score
Dawn surely would have/should have told her this while the transfer portal was still open, no?

Reaction Score
But shouldn’t she have seen it sooner? So she wouldn’t have to sit a year.
poa poa, lay and tessa. arrived like two weeks ago plus they just started summer workouts so other guard look better than she thought???

Reaction Score
Dawn surely would have/should have told her this while the transfer portal was still open, no?
Well, Dawn doesn't guarantee minutes and she always tells everyone that they have to earn their minutes. There would be no way to verify how much playing time she would get until she starts comparing herself to her teammates during the summer workouts.

Reaction Score
With this news we're basically going to be two deep at every position with one woman "extra".

PG - R. Johnson, Paopao
SG - Fulwiley, T. Johnson
W - Hall, Kitts, Jah
F - Feagin, Watkins
C - Cardoso, Walker

Hall and Paopao will probably flex between SG and their normal positions when CDS wants more experience on the court and I see Jah getting cleanup minutes at wing and forward.

Reaction Score
Well, Dawn doesn't guarantee minutes and she always tells everyone that they have to earn their minutes. There would be no way to verify how much playing time she would get until she starts comparing herself to her teammates during the summer workouts.
It’s not about guaranteeing minutes though. It is about giving a realistic look into the depth chart and where they should expect to fall without improving xy and z while they still have time to enter the portal in the window. It’s why most players transfer at that time… coaches let them know how likely they are to get minutes the following season based on who’s coming back and who’s coming in. South Carolina didn’t add anyone after the window closed so there shouldn’t have been any major surprises come summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom