Remember, Johnson is almost back | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Remember, Johnson is almost back

Reaction Score
In terms of average minute breakouts, I think we are going to struggle to find minutes for everyone but in terms of average minutes per game on a normal night in ideal conditions, I would like to see it be something like this

pgNewton
28​
Calcaterra
8​
sgHawkins
28​
Diarra
8​
sfJackson
28​
Alleyne
20​
pfKaraban
20​
Johnson
20​
cSanogo
28​
Clingan
12​
200​
Your Clingan minutes make no sense. He’s one of our best players and you want to lower his minutes?

Reaction Score
Your Clingan minutes make no sense. He’s one of our best players and you want to lower his minutes?
I mean they may sense in that he's doing math or of CT 40 mins total. If you want Clingan to have more meetings then that means you want Sanogo to have less.

Reaction Score
In terms of average minute breakouts, I think we are going to struggle to find minutes for everyone but in terms of average minutes per game on a normal night in ideal conditions, I would like to see it be something like this

pgNewton
28​
Calcaterra
8​
sgHawkins
28​
Diarra
8​
sfJackson
28​
Alleyne
20​
pfKaraban
20​
Johnson
20​
cSanogo
28​
Clingan
12​
200​
In what universe does Johnson deserve 20 minutes per game and Clingan only 12? And why would Alleyne get 2.5 times as many minutes as Calcaterra?

You want the guys who are fueling the runs that break open games to sit more. Seems very off to me.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Joey isn't sitting that much I hope. Clingan should get more minutes but I think it depends on matchup and game flow how much time he pulls from Sanogo. I can't believe that we have this many guys fighting for quality time.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

pgNewton
28​
Calcaterra
8​
sgHawkins
28​
Diarra
8​
sfJackson
28​
Alleyne
20​
pfKaraban
20​
Johnson
20​
cSanogo
28​
Clingan
12​
200​
All opinion, obviously...
Clingan would be starting if anyone but a preseason conference POY was in front of him and Sanogo won't last 28 minutes on most nights.

Joey C. is not going to go from >20m/g to under 10 without a serious fall off in performance. He's also not really a point guard. He hangs out on the wing and, every once in a while, curls into the paint to shake his man and back to the 3pt line for an open (aforementioned) catch and shoot.

Karaban is the most consistent and versatile player on the team. he's not going from 28 to 20. He should be in the 25-28 range.

Take away the 5 minute performance vs. ISU, and Hawkins is playing about 23m/g. I think that is about right for him. Maybe a little higher. OTOH, he did no favors for himself with the bonehead deadball tech.

I think Jackson is still finding his way back. He still needs to play more under control and find his role on offense. If that is as a point forward (or point wing), then so be it, but he needs to find comfort in his shooting. Call me crazy but I am digging the 1st guy off the bench role at the moment, but it also looks like Alleyne's days as a starter might be numbered. Jackson is playing starter minutes.

At the end of the day, Johnson is still an unknown. He's played 17 minutes vs. a recent D1 upgrade. Let him work himself back, before just anointing him a 20m/g guy.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but I am digging the 1st guy off the bench role at the moment, but it also looks like Alleyne's days as a starter might be numbered. Jackson is playing starter minutes.

Two things: (1) this is anecdotal and not scientific but it seems like the spurts where they blow games open generally happen with Jackson on the court, so I'd like to see him start. (2) I suspect Alleyne will find his shot but at the moment he's not giving us anything that Jackson doesn't. Start Andre and control the game from the jump.

Reaction Score
i had a typo... I meant to say "If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next to Joey C" because Joey needs more rim protection than the other guards.

By the way it was unfair that I "replied" to yours as you were the last one I looked at before I was thinking about my post, I do apologize. It was not pointing at yours and yours alone at all. My bad

Reaction Score
Two things: (1) this is anecdotal and not scientific but it seems like the spurts where they blow games open generally happen with Jackson on the court, so I'd like to see him start. (2) I suspect Alleyne will find his shot but at the moment he's not giving us anything that Jackson doesn't. Start Andre and control the game from the jump.
Agree with you on Jax..Alleyne didn't come here to be an ok guy.. He's a player.. He's overdue for a bust-out game

Reaction Score
I personally believe Hurley is gonna send out whoever gives us the best chance to win. You can say Sanogo earned a lot of minutes going forward, but the moment Hurley thinks someone else gives them a better chance to win in a spot, i bet he makes the switch regardless of what they have done.
Agreed. It starts in practice and then carries over to games. Hurley is no fool - he who performs gets positioned higher in the general rotation. Hot hands, foul troubles, and matchups then dictate the in-game details.

Reaction Score
Agree with you on Jax..Alleyne didn't come here to be an ok guy.. He's a player.. He's overdue for a bust-out game
Yup...but he needs to come off the bench now. Maybe that will help him. He was downright awful against Iowa St. and seems to be the only one on the team that tries to play 1 on 1 hero ball outside the scope of the offense (I'd be more OK with this if he was ever successful). Still love his effort on D but think he's a better fit off the bench as our 6th/7th man.

Reaction Score
I really like Jackson off the bench - when he comes in the other team has no idea what to do about him. Kinda “ we kinda lull them to sleep“ and then out he comes and whatever they had been doing that was working stops working.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
My guess SJs minutes will be limited as he works his way back from the injury. Don't want to over do it...especially with the depth we have. Depth is a good thing and SJ deserves some playing time. How much will be determined by how he looks when he's out there.

Reaction Score
This is typical. As games get more meaning the bench gets shorter. During the 'win or go home' games the need to rest players is inversely proportional to the need to win.
So not gonna answer the question? Cool

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
So not gonna answer the question? Cool
I did answer your question when I said, 'This is typical." I should have been clearer by stating the reallocation of minutes is typical during tournament play. I can't predict the 8 or 7 players at this time. I do agree with your assessment that this roster has greater depth than any that I can remember. Of course, like an old PC, I do suffer memory leaks.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Same. Alleyne and Diarra need to show us what they’re here for if they wanna keep an athletic 6’10 defender off the floor. Joey I think has shown enough.

Tristen also
Newton is the starting point guard, and averaged more than 30 minutes at PK85. While his minutes have nowhere to go but down, I don't think he is losing PT to a 6'-10" Power Forward.

Diarra will cut into Newton's minutes if he can keep his TOs under control. Newton has 20, which I think is too many for a starting PG and a historic A/TO ratio of 1.46. OTOH, Newton's current ratio is 3 assists short of 2.0 and includes the 8 TOs vs ISU, which appear to be an outlier thus far.

Diarra and Alleyne will probably end up in the 10-15 min. range. Joey C. in the 15-20 minute range. I keep going back to the ISU game but it's tough to judge, given Hawkins performance and reaction to his deadball technical.

Reaction Score

Was told Jackson is starting tonight. Only reason he didn't in Portland was because they didn't want to mix things up in the middle of a 4 day tournament.

Reaction Score
Competition keeps them all sharp. No one. On this team is guaranteed a certain amount of PT. Everyone has a very good player to compete with. Competition is great motivation.

Reaction Score
Okay, what am I missing here? Johnson got mop up minutes last year on a team with less total talent. You've got a bunch of guys this year who's play has been surprisingly good, earning them more minutes. Why would you guys think he would get significant minutes now? This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be negative, but why do we expect so much more this year?

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Okay, what am I missing here? Johnson got mop up minutes last year on a team with less total talent. You've got a bunch of guys this year who's play has been surprisingly good, earning them more minutes. Why would you guys think he would get significant minutes now? This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be negative, but why do we expect so much more this year?
Because he literally started the first game. Was also in a close battle with Karaban even if Karaban was going to be the starter.

Reaction Score

This is pretty much all predicated on some of Hurley's comments, and the fact that he started in our first game of the season. Hurley said he and Karaban were competing for the starting spot.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that he will find himself getting 15 mins per game or less, simply because Karaban and Clingan are much better players by my eye. I think he started the first game because Karaban had been hurt and Hurley was using coach-speak to try to motivate the guys.

I can totally understand why folks would expect Johnson to be a 25mpg starting-caliber player though. None of us will really know until game-time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom