Remember, Johnson is almost back | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Remember, Johnson is almost back

Reaction Score
If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next Joey C who is definitely struggling despite real effort against other guards taking him to the hoop. Samson might provide just enough rim protection that those guards may hesitate taking it all the way to the cup.

Is everyone nuts? Joey C is bringing things Johnson won’t or at least hasn’t as of yet. Joey is shooting 55.6% from 3 and 62 overall with 82% from the line. Is SJ touching that, has he even shown that ability in a game we've seen? Nothing against the kid but we just gave up 53 against ISU who beat UNC. Joey C gets beat occasionally on D, no doubt. So does everyone else, and they aren't coming off the bench shooting the 3 at a 55% clip. Please, he may take a couple minutes from him but he will need to earn it for sure, there's never been a sign of all these things you guys believe he can do. Hell I hope he can and what I've seen from last year and one game is just nerves. But we're 8-0 and people can't wait for changes. Alleyne, while not playing well as of late, almost averaged 10 a game in the ACC and shot the 3 at a 38% clip. Don't forget him he will be fine and I know he can defend he's proven it.

Reaction Score
Is everyone nuts? Joey C is bringing things Johnson won’t or at least hasn’t as of yet. Joey is shooting 55.6% from 3 and 62 overall with 82% from the line. Is SJ touching that, has he even shown that ability in a game we've seen? Nothing against the kid but we just gave up 53 against ISU who beat UNC. Joey C gets beat occasionally on D, no doubt. So does everyone else, and they aren't coming off the bench shooting the 3 at a 55% clip. Please, he may take a couple minutes from him but he will need to earn it for sure, there's never been a sign of all these things you guys believe he can do. Hell I hope he can and what I've seen from last year and one game is just nerves. But we're 8-0 and people can't wait for changes. Alleyne, while not playing well as of late, almost averaged 10 a game in the ACC and shot the 3 at a 38% clip. Don't forget him he will be fine and I know he can defend he's proven it.
Amen, brother.

Reaction Score
The reality is it’s going to be really hard to justify sitting Karaban with how good of a “glue guy” he is with all the fire power on this team. He can shoot, he always makes the right read, he skip passes, cuts without the ball and his defense has been serviceable. I can’t see him losing minutes to SJ.
Karaban played 37 minutes against ISU. He’s a freshman who didn’t play games last year and will hit a wall early if that continues. Whether Johnson gets those minutes or AJ gets some of them opening up more minutes for guards, Karaban would be better off not leading the team in minutes and that will open some up.

That having been said, Johnson will have to be really really good to get more than a few minutes a game, because it’s hard to believe Karaban isn’t going to continue to get starters minutes.

Think of this — if we leave Alleyne as a starter, even if not getting starters minutes (which I don’t think will happen but it could), we could bring in a second unit of AJ, Johnson, Clingan, Joey C and Diarra. Quite possible that unit, as starters, could compete for the Top 25. That’s depth.

Reaction Score
Crazy. Everyone fighting for minutes with 10 men rotation. Hate to see anything disrupt our flow. A good problem to have nonetheless.

Reaction Score
The reality is it’s going to be really hard to justify sitting Karaban with how good of a “glue guy” he is with all the fire power on this team. He can shoot, he always makes the right read, he skip passes, cuts without the ball and his defense has been serviceable. I can’t see him losing minutes to SJ.

Rather than the 30mpg he averaged in Portland, I'd like to see us push him down to 25mpg (ish) and allow those extra 10 or so minutes to go to Johnson. I'm assuming he's going to be on some kind of heavy minutes restriction if it's a foot issue, and I think 10mpg is probably in line with his skill level anyways.

With no Andre at the 4, it'll probably make our guards minutes even tougher now though. Alleyne and Diarra are going to need to show out and earn their spot.

Great thing about this team is all of our bench players have the potential to be a starting-caliber player. They need to play well to earn their minutes, or we're putting a good player on the bench.

Reaction Score

At this point, of Diarra/Alleyne/Calcaterra as the backup guards, it seems likely Calcaterra is going to maintain 20mpg, unless his shooting goes ice cold. Diarra and Alleyne need to start shooting well or they're seeing the bench. With Andre as a 30mpg type of player and we have to put shooters on the floor. Even on a good shooting night for him, teams are going to sag off his shot when he's facilitating. He isn't really a pull up threat.

Also, let's please (please) put Joey C in the game every minute Clingan is in the game. they have ridiculous chemistry.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
We could have a real 10 man rotation. This feels like the early 90's teams with the depth or even the 1999 team. We have a good mix of offensive and defensive players on this team.
10 now, 8 in BET, 7 in NCAA. 10 right now to serve the dual purpose of keeping some fresh and letting some continue to develop.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
this

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next Joey C who is definitely struggling despite real effort against other guards taking him to the hoop. Samson might provide just enough rim protection that those guards may hesitate taking it all the way to the cup.
Well a healthy Johnson is some thing I think we all can appreciate.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Johnson isn't going to take minutes from the best shooter/scorer on the team

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Why would anyone want to change anything right now? Karaban is one of the best freshmen in the country and does stuff we've all been looking for. He's already better than Johnson in fewer games. Nothing against Johnson, but it is what it is.

Reaction Score
i had a typo... I meant to say "If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next to Joey C" because Joey needs more rim protection than the other guards.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
When Johnson returns and can play like the guy who won the starting PF spot, Uconn will be capable of doing wholesale hockey style line changes, unseen since Kentucky '96.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
This is not a normal roster. Tell me what 7 are playing in the NCAAs and who is not so I can be critical
This is typical. As games get more meaning the bench gets shorter. During the 'win or go home' games the need to rest players is inversely proportional to the need to win.

Reaction Score
This is typical. As games get more meaning the bench gets shorter. During the 'win or go home' games the need to rest players is inversely proportional to the need to win.
I get this is there is a if drop off in talent or production. If there is not a significant drop off, I think the advantage gained by fresh legs to wear an opponent down over 40 min of running and tough defense is greater.

Especially in that 2nd game of a tournament weekend.

Reaction Score
He's been unbelievable, anyone who wants to bench him is crazy. He's a perfect fit playing next to everyone on the team

Reaction Score
When Johnson returns and can play like the guy who won the starting PF spot, Uconn will be capable of doing wholesale hockey style line changes, unseen since Kentucky '96.
Calipari did that more recently at Kentucky than 96

Reaction Score
The fact that we are debating how many minutes a former Top 60 recruit with NBA size and athleticism we will be able to get when returning to the lineup is wild. This team is sooo stacked

Reaction Score
10 now, 8 in BET, 7 in NCAA. 10 right now to serve the dual purpose of keeping some fresh and letting some continue to develop.
Nah, there's no way he's only playing 7 this season. We're the deepest team in the country. A lot of teams and pundits talk about depth but they don't have real depth, this team has real depth. If you don't use it we become more ordinary, we wear down like other teams, and we aren't wearing down teams like we should.

Reaction Score
i had a typo... I meant to say "If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next to Joey C" because Joey needs more rim protection than the other guards.
Thank you. This was my initial takeaway from your post. I was scratching my head at the outrage it inspired. Your intent seemed pretty clear when you mentioned Samson’s presence negating Joey occasionally getting beat on D.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If Samson is as good as his coaches/teammates say he is.. Time to show it in games.. And if he does.. FF for UConn.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Nah, there's no way he's only playing 7 this season. We're the deepest team in the country. A lot of teams and pundits talk about depth but they don't have real depth, this team has real depth. If you don't use it we become more ordinary, we wear down like other teams, and we aren't wearing down teams like we should.
Exactly. That kind of depth means two things. One, foul trouble isn't nearly as much trouble. Two, in the last 5 minutes of a tight game your guys are all fresh, and with fouls to spare. You shorten the bench when the bench forces you to. Nine or ten deep with no major dropoffs while presenting novel challenges to the opponent (Clingan, Calcaterra, Johnson) is absolutely fine.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom