Remember, Johnson is almost back | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Remember, Johnson is almost back

Reaction Score
Knock off the he is going to need to earn his minutes BS. Samson can play and we will need him. Injuries fouls etc. Get him involved and reap the benefits when things matter.

Reaction Score
Hurley and his staff have put together a very talented basketball team. I have a problem with his "players need to earn their minutes line". These players know how to play and want to play and win. It is Hurleys job to figure out the rotations. They are not serfs in a field hoping to get an extra potato for dinner if they work hard.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was surprised to see we were out-rebounded by Alabama. The turnovers killed them.
Not really surprising at all. Every turnover is one less likely chance for a defensive rebound. And we caused a lot of them in the first ten minutes of the game.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Knock off the he is going to need to earn his minutes BS. Samson can play and we will need him. Injuries fouls etc. Get him involved and reap the benefits when things matter.
Add one more reason. He could fit better in certain matchups.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Did anyone happen to see if he was wearing a boot on the sideline? Hopefully the reporters ask about him at Hurleys availability before OKST.

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
Add one more reason. He could fit better in certain matchups.
This!

With our mix of talent, and the depth of our roster, we don't necessarily get better or worse with a particular player in the lineup. Just different.

Swap out Clingan for Sanogo. Are we better or worse? Some stats might suggest better with Clingan. But mostly we are just a little different.

Match ups will tell who should be getting more minutes and when in the game.

Hurley has been a master at managing player rotations so far this season. Johnson will be just one more arrow in the quiver.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
I know all the preseason stuff DH has said has been pretty accurate but I just don't see how Johnson starts - at this point I'd think he'll be fighting for floor time. Can't wait to be wrong and see him play :)

Reaction Score
I'd like to see him get the 10-15 minutes at the 4 when Karaban in sitting. I much prefer Andre getting his minutes at the 3. Probably means that Alleyne/Diarra/Calcaterra get their minutes reduced though.
I don't think Joey is losing any minutes. The man is instant offense and money off the bench. Those qualities are always en vogue.

Reaction Score
I know all the preseason stuff DH has said has been pretty accurate but I just don't see how Johnson starts - at this point I'd think he'll be fighting for floor time. Can't wait to be wrong and see him play :)
Crazy but as things are now- Alleyne and Johnson are our #9 and #10 guys. That’s how deep we are

Reaction Score
He hasn't proved it in games. The other guys have to this point. He's going to have to recover, play well in practices, and then show out in very limited minutes when he gets his chance. If I'm Hurley, I can't just hand over minutes from other bigs to him until he earns it in games.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score
The reality is it’s going to be really hard to justify sitting Karaban with how good of a “glue guy” he is with all the fire power on this team. He can shoot, he always makes the right read, he skip passes, cuts without the ball and his defense has been serviceable. I can’t see him losing minutes to SJ.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Remember, this kid beat out Karaban for the starting gig. I can’t imagine that Alex just doesn’t show well in practice, so that means Sampson out performed a great player, and we are about to add another player as good or potentially better than Alex to the rotation. Sheesh!

Reaction Score
The reality is it’s going to be really hard to justify sitting Karaban with how good of a “glue guy” he is with all the fire power on this team. He can shoot, he always makes the right read, he skip passes, cuts without the ball and his defense has been serviceable. I can’t see him losing minutes to SJ.

Karaban also has great rebounding instincts. Tough job for DH but nice problem to have.

Reaction Score
Joey, DC, and Johnson when healthy would be our top 3 players off the bench.

Reaction Score
If Samson is healthy I think it will be vital to play him next Joey C who is definitely struggling despite real effort against other guards taking him to the hoop. Samson might provide just enough rim protection that those guards may hesitate taking it all the way to the cup.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
The way Karaban and Clingan are playing he will have a very hard time finding minutes.

Reaction Score
I don't think Joey is losing any minutes. The man is instant offense and money off the bench. Those qualities are always en vogue.
Guys can isolate him and take him off the dribble but his defense was actually better against the teams in the PK85 than it was against the cupcake teams.

And the opposing coaches have a lot more to worry about than exposing Joey C’s defense so I agree he will stay a part of the rotation and not lose many minutes unless he goes cold from 3

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom