Remember, Johnson is almost back | The Boneyard

Remember, Johnson is almost back

Reaction Score
After PK85 the SJ watch starts heating up. Could have him for OKST if we’re lucky. Could bring the shot blocking element to this defense.

I'd like to see him get the 10-15 minutes at the 4 when Karaban in sitting. I much prefer Andre getting his minutes at the 3. Probably means that Alleyne/Diarra/Calcaterra get their minutes reduced though.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I'd like to see him get the 10-15 minutes at the 4 when Karaban in sitting. I much prefer Andre getting his minutes at the 3. Probably means that Alleyne/Diarra/Calcaterra get their minutes reduced though.
Same. Alleyne and Diarra need to show us what they’re here for if they wanna keep an athletic 6’10 defender off the floor. Joey I think has shown enough.

Reaction Score
I don’t know what will happen with Johnson back. I know that Clingan has to keep his minutes and even get more!
Rebounding will not be fun for other teams with Sanogo, Clingan and Johnson in there and actually AJAx is a killer rebounder. Newton rebounds like crazy.

Reaction Score
Same. Alleyne and Diarra need to show us what they’re here for if they wanna keep an athletic 6’10 defender off the floor. Joey I think has shown enough.
Alleyne has shown plenty on defense for me. He needs to make shots no doubt but he will, he's a keeper. My thought is Johnson still needs to show he can play defense to get minutes. He was lost last year and early on this year. Blocking shots is no good if you're trailing your guy all the time so he needs to get better and prove he can be in the mix from what I saw, not Alleyne.

Reaction Score
Not Joey C, we need his 3 pt shooting. He also has been great with some nifty assists. His three pt shots have been backbreakers, you almost hear the air going out of the other team when he or Newton hits one.

Reaction Score
Hurley has already said the staff is excited to experiment having Karaban, Johnson, and one of Sanogo/Clingan on the court at the same time. In my mind that means no opposition rebounds, and more 3 point attempts for Karaban when defenses collapse. Either Jackson or Newton with the ball, and either Hawk or Joey to hit daggers. From 3, we now have Hawk at 39%, Tristan at 40%, Alex 41.4%, Adama 53.8%, and Joey at a whopping 60.9%. The team is at 38.5%!! There are plenty of years we couldn't shoot 38.5% even without another team on the court defending us.
I expect Johnson to only get spot minutes if any against Okla St/Florida. I bet he gets a lot of playing time against Long Island as the real opportunity to integrate him before Big East play. After that production, other player injuries, and game situations will likely dictate.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
When that happens and Jackson is 100% Alleyne and Diarra might get a combined 5 mpg

Reaction Score
I would have said Diarra too, but clearly Hurley values him and his defense. I was kind of surprised when Hawk was on the bench with foul trouble late in the game, and Hurley went with Diarra over Joey and Alleyne for a long stretch until just under 2 minutes left when he out Hawk back in.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Our worst moments last night came with Jackson as a 4 with 3 guards. It doesn’t work. It’s especially doesn‘t work with Sanogo, because Hurley keeps asking him to hedge, but not Clingan. We can probably get away with AJ at 4 with Clingan camped in the paint. But we need Samson to go to the next level.

Reaction Score
Andre is our second best rebounder, but can defend multiple positions. The way everyone is playing it’s a nice problem to have. I think it will depend on match.

Reaction Score
Our worst moments last night came with Jackson as a 4 with 3 guards. It doesn’t work. It’s especially doesn‘t work with Sanogo, because Hurley keeps asking him to hedge, but not Clingan. We can probably get away with AJ at 4 with Clingan camped in the paint. But we need Samson to go to the next level.
Jackson, Diarra, and Alleyne are at least somewhat hesitant to shoot after early returns this season, so the offense can clog down when all 3 are in the game. Defense is real good though.

Reaction Score
But how many minutes can a guy maintain at the 3 when he has no outside shot whatsoever

Reaction Score
I would have said Diarra too, but clearly Hurley values him and his defense. I was kind of surprised when Hawk was on the bench with foul trouble late in the game, and Hurley went with Diarra over Joey and Alleyne for a long stretch until just under 2 minutes left when he out Hawk back in.

I've been pleasantly surprised by Diarra. He's a menace defensively - he seems to save at least a bucket or two every game with a strip in the paint - and moves the ball well on offense. He doesn't try to do too much and passes up open jumpers for better shots by better shooters. I was expecting him to be a bit of a gunner and he hasn't been that at all. There were a couple times last night when he had an open look and I was waiting on him to hoist a brick and, to his credit, he didn't do it.

Reaction Score
Hurley has already said the staff is excited to experiment having Karaban, Johnson, and one of Sanogo/Clingan on the court at the same time. In my mind that means no opposition rebounds, and more 3 point attempts for Karaban when defenses collapse. Either Jackson or Newton with the ball, and either Hawk or Joey to hit daggers. From 3, we now have Hawk at 39%, Tristan at 40%, Alex 41.4%, Adama 53.8%, and Joey at a whopping 60.9%. The team is at 38.5%!! There are plenty of years we couldn't shoot 38.5% even without another team on the court defending us.
I expect Johnson to only get spot minutes if any against Okla St/Florida. I bet he gets a lot of playing time against Long Island as the real opportunity to integrate him before Big East play. After that production, other player injuries, and game situations will likely dictate.
Joey C has been money when he’s open, and he’s made some nifty assists to Clingan and Sanogo.

Reaction Score
Diarra has shown to be better on defense and a better ballhandlerthan Calcatera . We had a lead and were running clock . Diarra is the beter choice in that situation

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Alleyne has shown plenty on defense for me. He needs to make shots no doubt but he will, he's a keeper. My thought is Johnson still needs to show he can play defense to get minutes. He was lost last year and early on this year. Blocking shots is no good if you're trailing your guy all the time so he needs to get better and prove he can be in the mix from what I saw, not Alleyne.
My only issue with this line of thinking, is Johnson didn’t get an opportunity to show us what he could do defensively yet this season, but we know he woulda been a top 8 rotation guy had he stayed healthy. It’s beyond clear who our best 5 have been, Newton/Jackson/Hawkins/Karaban/Sanogo, but it’s crazy to think Johnson might’ve been in that top 5 mix going into the season.

Now with much more context around each player, and so many guys playing well, we’ll see what happens with the fight at the back end of the rotation, but I imagine Johnson won’t go down without swinging. I like Diarra and Alleyne, especially their defensive IQ and effort, but the bar for a major rotation spot is higher on a title team, and I won’t be shocked if Johnson is just more impactful defensively.

But honestly, if we can find minutes for 10 guys, we keep winning, and everyone is happy? Sure, why not go 10 deep?

Reaction Score
I don’t know what will happen with Johnson back. I know that Clingan has to keep his minutes and even get more!
Rebounding will not be fun for other teams with Sanogo, Clingan and Johnson in there and actually AJAx is a killer rebounder. Newton rebounds like crazy.
I was surprised to see we were out-rebounded by Alabama. The turnovers killed them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom