Remember, Johnson is almost back | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Remember, Johnson is almost back

Reaction Score
I did answer your question when I said, 'This is typical." I should have been clearer by stating the reallocation of minutes is typical during tournament play. I can't predict the 8 or 7 players at this time. I do agree with your assessment that this roster has greater depth than any that I can remember. Of course, like an old PC, I do suffer memory leaks.
I just meant the question of who wouldn’t make that 7-man cut? And I ask because I don’t think you can lay out those 7 guys. 100% I agree that teams in March usually trim a guy or two from the rotation, but not every team does that. Teams usually stick with their best 5 or 6 guys in the final 5-10 minutes of a game, but this roster is wild.

To me, of the guys playing meaningful minutes right now, I could see Joeys time being cut slightly to a few minutes to see if he can just crush 2-3 3s in a minute, maybe Alleyne doesn’t play much if Newton is cooking and no foul trouble, but I think Samson will be 100% in the rotation come March.

I would put hard money down that barring injuries, Newton, Diarra, Hawkins, Jackson, Karaban, Johnson, Sanogo and Clingan will be in that tourney rotation, and Joey/Alleyne will still have value to bring.

What we’ve seen so far is a very high ceiling in our level of play on defense and moving the ball on O regardless of who is in the game. If that continues and no one fades as the season goes on, I think Hurley still uses everyone so he can have guys giving 100% on defense and just flat out run some other teams out of the gym in the 2nd half, even if they’re hitting an abnormal amount of 3s against us

Reaction Score
Because he literally started the first game. Was also in a close battle with Karaban even if Karaban was going to be the starter.
I think who starts the first game is totally overrated. Starting spots for the first few games usually default to the guy that was there last year until the new guys earn it generally. The new guys have certainly earned their minutes.

Reaction Score
They could have used Johnson tonight. I'm a Karaban fan but they repeatedly backed him down and shot over him. Perfect situation for Johnson's height and athleticism. Karaban also looked a little out of gas at times, he was working.

caw

Reaction Score
They could have used Johnson tonight. I'm a Karaban fan but they repeatedly backed him down and shot over him. Perfect situation for Johnson's height and athleticism. Karaban also looked a little out of gas at times, he was working.

With Jackson back in the starting lineup a backup four is certainly needed.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
This. They targeted Alex with Boone, Samson should in theory be a tougher matchup for big 4s.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I mean they may sense in that he's doing math or of CT 40 mins total. If you want Clingan to have more meetings then that means you want Sanogo to have less.
Or Karaban. A team with two skilled bigs may be difficult unless Samson is able to assert himself into the mix

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
Not sure why Karaban was played 35+ tonight and in the last game... he's great but that's a lot of playtime for anyone let alone a freshman. I wonder if DH is "seasoning" him while there is still some time.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
Okay, what am I missing here? Johnson got mop up minutes last year on a team with less total talent. You've got a bunch of guys this year who's play has been surprisingly good, earning them more minutes. Why would you guys think he would get significant minutes now? This is an honest question, I'm not trying to be negative, but why do we expect so much more this year?
The point about mop up minutes on a less talented team is kind of irrelevant. He was young and they were deep at the 4. Also, kids improve. He's clearly athletic and will be an added presence on D. Not sure what he can bring on O but anything is a bonus.

Reaction Score

I’m a little confused about the Karaban bashing last night by so many? He battled hard, kept his spot and they made a couple jump hooks. Thought he was fine, could’ve used a couple less minutes no doubt. But what has anyone seen that makes them believe SJ will be the answer? Because he’s 6’10” automatically ? I mean he was basically non existent last year on that end and the one game this year wasn’t an impressive improvement.

Alex was fine, there were a few others who were a lot worst defending their men than AK.

Reaction Score
This. Johnson is a bigger and stronger presence but would foul even more than Alex from what we’ve seen. Hurley trusts Karaban out there. When is Johnson back?

Reaction Score
I’m a little confused about the Karaban bashing last night by so many? He battled hard, kept his spot and they made a couple jump hooks. Thought he was fine, could’ve used a couple less minutes no doubt. But what has anyone seen that makes them believe SJ will be the answer? Because he’s 6’10” automatically ? I mean he was basically non existent last year on that end and the one game this year wasn’t an impressive improvement.

Alex was fine, there were a few others who were a lot worst defending their men than AK.
Karaban is a star. BUT last night was a game Samson Johnson would’ve helped greatly.

Reaction Score

No hate on my end, I even said I’m a fan. Last night OK ST was able to get off quality shots on him because they had size advantage. Couple that with the fact that he played a lot of minutes makes me think Johnson could have helped. Shouldn’t be a negative for Karaban that I think Johnson can help the team, that is why he was recruited. It’s not so much what I’ve seen from Johnson, it’s what I’ve read from coaches and experts, I expect him to bust out at some point.

caw

Reaction Score

Not speaking for others but my opinion is that having someone Dan Hurley thinks was even competing with AK for PT at the beginning of the year shows he has some potential. Doesn't matter if Johnson would have started over AK (with both healthy), Hurley fully expected Johnson to share time at the four with AK.

AK has been fantastic all season, even last night, but he needs more rest than he's getting. He should not be playing almost the whole game like he has the past two games.

With Jackson starting, the substitution patterns get a bit whacky with no one on the bench to really sub for AK. In the PKI, Jackson could come in for any of the 1-4 positions, now there really isn't anyone. Even if Johnson can only provide 5-8 minutes to give AK rest and is just an athletic big, he would help immensely to simply keep AK fresh.

That said, I think Johnson will come back and get at least 12 a game eventually. Although it was against Stonehill, Johnson had a pretty solid game before his injury.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I remember Calhoun telling everyone how "special" Jeremy Lamb was. But we didn't see it in games for half a season. We were wondering why JC kept giving him minutes and he was doing little. Then, it made sense.
Thank for this post.

I don't predict how Samson will fit in or perform, and make no judgment up or down on your comment, but I definitely know that I saw nothing to commend in early freshman year Lamb and was completely wrong. I appreciate your raising an example I can relate to.

In the preseason intrasquad scrimmage at Gampel, Johnson played well, and he attracted by far the greatest media interview attention afterward.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
I really like Jackson off the bench - when he comes in the other team has no idea what to do about him. Kinda “ we kinda lull them to sleep“ and then out he comes and whatever they had been doing that was working stops working.
I agree that this is what we have seen. I truly don't know whether starting would reveal yet another unexpected impact or not.

I'm in support of however it works best, and I'm very happy to think there's room to explore more and find out.

Reaction Score
Alex Karaban has definitely earned his starting spot. Yeah he got pushed around last night but we can't forget Alabama where he more than held his own even though he was outmatched physically

When he's fully healthy, Samson will get A LOT of minutes. Especially in situational matchups like last night. But Karaban has outperformed nearly all expectations so far and that spot is his until Samson proves otherwise.

Not a knock on Samson at all. I'm very high on him and he will be a great piece for us this year when he's back. But 1 bad game where we still won by double digits shouldn't change anything

Reaction Score
Thats because he's playing 37+ minutes a game. Plenty of available minute for Johnson as long as he earns them.

Reaction Score
So many of the Johnson playing time posts in this thread ignore that Hurley's stated lineup to try is Karaban/Johnson/ AND a center. If that lineup works, we will see a lot of it during games with a few less minutes from guards. It is not just a Johnson or Karaban playing time allocation at the 4.

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Any new tidbits beyond “late December/ early January” on target return games?

Reaction Score
Any new tidbits beyond “late December/ early January” on target return games?

It‘s such a tricky injury. He’s still in the boot to keep his foot protected, and it’s not a thing you can play through pain with and it won’t matter. If he comes back too soon, it’s a setback.

(but remember- Dan never gives info to the local guys or about injuries. would be nice if that narrative could end)

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score

(but remember- Dan never gives info to the local guys or about injuries. would be nice if that narrative could end)

Me likey

Maybe he’s just been waiting for some primo injury info to hand deliver to a local guy. He’s playing 3D chess out here.

the usual suspects films GIF by elCinema.com

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom