Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Ray Allen seeking protective order against UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The NCAA decision is pending. Obviously UConn's is not, since they hired a new coach. The NCAA has made their decision, but KO has the right to appeal and he is doing so.
Do I believe that is how it went down. Yes I do. The NCAA took Miller's word over KO. I am not privy to the testimony, but that is how it played out. It just does not feel that far fetched to me.

Madman, I respectfully suggest if there is a fine line between “speculating“ and imagining. It’s easy to imagine a lot of scenarios, but an independent factfinder found otherwise.

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
I think most college basketball players remember Ray or at least have a knowledge of his pro career.

Reaction Score
Pay the man.

I can't say that enough. The "not a dime" crew don't get the PR messiness of this.
I think all would agree to pay the man a reasonable sum. $10 Million is not that. Maybe $2MM. Frankly, he deserves exactly what he is owed under his contract - nothing, except it’s worth limiting the costs of time, bad press and distractions to move on. Whatever the case, KO has shown his true character and destroyed himself.

C

Chief00

I think all would agree to pay the man a reasonable sum. $10 Million is not that. Maybe $2MM. Frankly, he deserves exactly what he is owed under his contract - nothing, except it’s worth limiting the costs of time, bad press and distractions to move on. Whatever the case, KO has shown his true character and destroyed himself.
Agree, to some extent, but the $2 million ship has long since sailed. I think a realistic range is $500,000 to a million and that may be very high. If the University can endure more distractions and legal billing the check to KO will be ZERO. After KO pays legal bills this exercise has cost him money net or broken even. Demonstrates poor judgement on his part and a bunch of denial.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Respectfully, Ray needs to temper his public statements. I get that he's not happy that he made a phone call that contributed to KO's discharge for cause, but it is what it is. Make a single statement that the hope the matter can be settled amiably and shut the heck up.

I agree, but Ray and Kevin are very close friends, and were teammates. That's a very close bond, and an emotional one.

Ray likely knows who's behind the discovery ruling. I think he's playing it the way he is to sort of blackmail or extort the school. He may figure that the more controversy he dredges up, the more likely the school will settle with Kevin to avoid any future unpleasantness with Ray.

Unfortunately for Ray, the longer it goes on the worse his image will become with UConn, its alumni and fans. The vast majority of us just want it over. Beyond a certain point, if Ollie continues to be unemployed much longer, he'll likely settle because he may become desperate for money in any amount.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Is he? I mean he’s most accomplished on the court. But as said above, most people are soured on him, rightly or otherwise, for leaving Boston for Miami. Between that and his personality/demeanor, I’ll take Kemba every time as an ambassador for my alma mater

I'm not. I despise Boston, and I'm glad he left. Screw 'em!

I'd also submit that the vast majority of NBA fans are not Boston fans, so they couldn't care less about Ray. Almost all the rest of the world doesn't know who Ray Allen is.

Reaction Score
PR wise, this would make KO look much worse than UConn. I mean, when you are employed, you are supposed to do a job. Ray Allen's involvement would be forgotten because everyone knows why KO really was fired.

Ollie should have learned by now that he can't always win.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I agree, but Ray and Kevin are very close friends, and were teammates. That's a very close bond, and an emotional one.

Ray likely knows who's behind the discovery ruling. I think he's playing it the way he is to sort of blackmail or extort the school. He may figure that the more controversy he dredges up, the more likely the school will settle with Kevin to avoid any future unpleasantness with Ray.

Unfortunately for Ray, the longer it goes on the worse his image will become with UConn, its alumni and fans. The vast majority of us just want it over. Beyond a certain point, if Ollie continues to be unemployed much longer, he'll likely settle because he may become desperate for money in any amount.
I don't think KO is struggling for money regardless of the outcome of this matter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Ah got it. I think it's been building. Ray has been talking a lot about this. His latest quote comes off as petulant and privileged so it just taps into that.
Poor baby. He got called as a witness by his pal Ollie. UConn’s lawyers did what they were supposed to do and asked him tough questions and demanded documents to back up his claims. Apparently he was expecting them to Kiss his feet and beg for an autograph and was shocked when they did their job. That is how he comes off to many in this.

Reaction Score
The NCAA decision is pending. Obviously UConn's is not, since they hired a new coach. The NCAA has made their decision, but KO has the right to appeal and he is doing so.
Do I believe that is how it went down. Yes I do. The NCAA took Miller's word over KO. I am not privy to the testimony, but that is how it played out. It just does not feel that far fetched to me.
Given that part of KO’s sanction was for lying to the NCAA and UConn I kinda think they made the right call, no?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Recruits don’t care.

Ray Allen played at UConn six years before these kids were born. If they’ve ever seen him play basketball, it was as a role player on the Heat.

We’re not recruiting off Ray Allen any more.
Thank you for saying this. Most recruits know Ray Allen as the whack old guy who played with Lebron if they know him at all. Regardless of his stature with UConn fans.

Reaction Score
So according to this thread, the NCAA is infallible and just, and multiple ex-UConn players are lying scumbags. Got it.
You don't think Ollie is a liar? Have you followed even a little UConn basketball in the past few years.

Reaction Score
I must have missed the section where Stallings was under investigation for major NCAA violations, including lying to investigators, and ultimately ended up with a 3 year show cause.
Nova fan shows up to tell us what's going on when he has no clue what's going on...

Reaction Score
You don't think Ollie is a liar? Have you followed even a little UConn basketball in the past few years.
Ollie absolutely looks bad.
The Pres and AD look bad.
Ray looks bad.
UConn looks bad overall in PR, and probably created a harsher ruling by working against KO for building its cause case.

Reaction Score
I must have missed the section where Stallings was under investigation for major NCAA violations, including lying to investigators, and ultimately ended up with a 3 year show cause.
Pitt and UConn had similar strategies. Throw the coach under the bus. Inflate wrong doings. Claim Cause. Reduce the contracted severance amount.

KO was wrong, but let's not lose sight of what the "Major NCAA Violations" were:

According to the NCAA release, the violations primarily stemmed from three situations: pickup games exceeding preseason countable athletically related activity limits, a video coordinator counting as a coach, and a booster providing extra benefits to student-athletes. Ollie was charged with failure to monitor staff, failure to promote an atmosphere of compliance and unethical conduct, or providing false or misleading information to the NCAA.

Ollie refused to be interviewed a second time by the investigators, which factored in, perhaps worsening his penalties.

“We determined the coach was not forthcoming,” said Joel Maturi, chief hearing officer for the panel and former Minnesota athletic director, in a conference call following the release of the findings. “[There was] the emphasis we’ve been asked to put on head coaches’ responsibility, importance of being open, honest, candid, cooperative. If we’re going to have the collegiate model we all want, those are important factors.”

Maturi said the program’s past infractions, which resulted in lost scholarships and a three-game suspension for then-coach Jim Calhoun, “was a factor” in determining the penalties this time.

The NCAA began its investigation into UConn’s recruiting practices in the fall of 2017, and it became known to the public in January of 2018. Two months later, UConn began the process of terminating Ollie for “just cause,” citing NCAA infractions.

As Ollie’s dispute with UConn over just cause and the remaining $10 million on his contract has dragged on 15 months, the NCAA investigation continued. In September, the NCAA released a notice of allegations, citing the UConn program with several lower-level infractions, including impermissible workouts with an outside trainer, and improper communications between former Huskies stars, Ray Allen and Rudy Gay, and a potential recruit. Ollie was charged with a level one infraction for providing false and misleading information at that time.

Reaction Score
"No matter what really happened, we can always throw the book at him for obstruction in the investigation"

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yep, you have 150 posts on the NBA, most of which are awful takes. I read threads that interest me. I don't claim to be an expert on much of anything, but follow the NBA to some degree. I remember because I was the one who called you out on it. You didn't back off either.

IIRC he got a 3.5m one year deal.
ohhhh, snap.

Reaction Score
Well yeah of course, every program in America should use Pitt’s basketball program as a model on how to run theirs.
Trumping up Cause to reduce owed compensation is dirty. I agree with your sarcasm. UConn should have not followed Pitt's example.

UConn took it to another level though. Scorched Earth. No reasonable settlement. It leaves KO no option but to fight to the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom