OT - US Open | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT - US Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Chambers Bay should never hold another major championship ever again.This course is totally unfair with strange bounces, along with bumpy,mini-golf like greens. There seems to be more luck required than skill to win this championship. The spectators also seem to be a mile away, creating limited cheers. This course could get scary this weekend. Great choice USGA.

Reaction Score
Scary stuff with Jason Day. Hope he is OK but I would be surprised if he can continue.
I suffer from vertigo from time to time .
It's hard to stay upright when everything is spinning.
Bending and head movement are diffificult but there are Med's that help.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Chambers Bay should never hold another major championship ever again.This course is totally unfair with strange bounces, along with bumpy,mini-golf like greens. There seems to be more luck required than skill to win this championship. The spectators also seem to be a mile away, creating limited cheers. This course could get scary this weekend. Great choice USGA.

I'll go the opposite. Proper shots, hit from the proper angle with the proper trajectory and spin are holding just fine. The problem for too many of the pros is they want to sky the ball to the pin, hop it once and have it check.

You can't do that here. Watching shots fly to the pin when the pin is blowing downwind leads to balls predictably blowing long. Course is much more fair than what I had anticipated seeing.

Greens are a valid point. I'm not a fan of mixed grasses on any style green because different grasses will obviously grow at different rates throughout the day created artificial breaks.

But I don't have any problem with the set up as a whole. Very fair for those who learn how to play the shots.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
As someone pointed out the other day on the Golf Channel coverage, this is kind of trajectory is not unheard of among pros. Even just in recent years, there are several examples of people being near the top of the world rankings, falling sometimes hundreds of places, and climbing back up.

One such example is Henrik Stenson. Sure, no one cared much when he fell off the face of the Earth because he's never won a major, but he showed that you can be a top 10 player, fall out of the top 200, and climb back up.

So, when we know that Tiger did great even in years after the scandal, and we know that other golfers have "lost it" inexplicably (and subsequently regained it), it doesn't make sense to blame the scandal.

It is unheard of within golf in that Tiger is either the best or second best player to ever play the game. Sure there are plenty of examples of players who bounce from high to low in golf's world rankings.

But no one in the history of golf with 3 or more majors has ever fallen this far this hard. Never mind the second most majors of all time.

This is like watching Federer not being able to get out of the second round of tennis tournaments.

Or, as I said earlier in this thread, Ali against Holmes or Mays wearing a Mets uniform.

Reaction Score
I don't buy that it's all mental with Tiger. To me it's all physical. The guy is broken. How many knee surgeries has he had now? He was never the same after the 08 U.S. open. Plus he's had Achilles injuries and a bad back for years now.

Golf is all about rhythm and a bad back will screw that all up very fast. I've had a bad back for years (herniated discs). I only play a few times a year but my back gets so tight which tightens my hips and glutes and it just gets to the point where i am so robotic and it's so hard to swing. There's no rhythm and every swing is slightly different. It's almost like my hips and lower back are separate from my lower legs and shoulders/arms. Very hard to explain unless you've experienced it.

I find it hard to believe that tiger hasn't recovered mentally. It's been years now. I'm pretty sure no matter how off he is mentally he can still chip a ball or strike the ball well. He shanks (for pros) or miss-hits 2/3 of his shots now.

It has to be all the injuries. You simply don't go from being that good to this bad because your mind is "off".

Reaction Score
I also like how the USGA claims how they like to host US Opens at public golf courses. Well not everybody can afford a $300 greens fee along with a $100 caddie tip, while also loosing a dozen golf balls.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I also like how the USGA claims how they like to host US Opens at public golf courses. Well not everybody can afford a $300 greens fee along with a $100 caddie tip, while also loosing a dozen golf balls.

If I lose a dozen balls, the caddie ain't getting a c-note.

Reaction Score
As someone pointed out the other day on the Golf Channel coverage, this is kind of trajectory is not unheard of among pros. Even just in recent years, there are several examples of people being near the top of the world rankings, falling sometimes hundreds of places, and climbing back up.

One such example is Henrik Stenson. Sure, no one cared much when he fell off the face of the Earth because he's never won a major, but he showed that you can be a top 10 player, fall out of the top 200, and climb back up.

So, when we know that Tiger did great even in years after the scandal, and we know that other golfers have "lost it" inexplicably (and subsequently regained it), it doesn't make sense to blame the scandal.

That can't be a serious comparison. Henrik Stenson? Several examples of this?? That's absurd.

We're talking about tiger woods here. The most dominant athlete of all time besides maybe MJ. Henrik Stenson never won a major. Tiger blew away the field in a handful of them. Tiger was in contention in basically every tournament he played in for a decade.

You can count on one hand the number of athletes in any sport all-time that reached the levels of greatness that tiger reached. There is simply no comparison for this, and if there was its certainly not Henrik freakin Stenson.

Reaction Score
Okay, fine, he can't find his swing because of a scandal 6 years ago, not because losing your swing is a thing that sometimes happens to professional golfers.

PS, I never said Henrik Stenson was as good as Tiger or anything like it, so calm your jets. The fact that people who are worse than Tiger have completely lost it and made the journey back is kinda the whole point. It's a good sign for him, not a bad one.

I'm just sick of people acting like Tiger isn't a human just because he was better than nearly everyone.

Last edited:

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
They're all playing the same course. How is it unfair?

Reaction Score
Unblieveable round by Jason Day, executing great golf shots with Rocky Balboa, like heart and toughness. What a great story it would be if he could win the US Open, although I do not expect him to play the Travelers, next week.

Reaction Score
Yuck, no more links courses. Let the British Open have them. It just looks like one big brownish putting green where the fairway never ends and the putting green never starts. I don't mind tough greens but there are too many backstops so it is hard to know if someone hit a good approach or a terrible one, a few are fine but it is like a mini golf course. The lack of trees and any sort of greenery make all the holes look the same for the most part. (yes, I know, Links). I'd love to play it but I don't like watching it.

Reaction Score
If you ever played a true links course, you'd love watching them play on it too. Personally, I get bored watching them always play the perfectly manicured parkland courses. This is one of the more fun and interesting US Opens to watch in a while, IMO.

Reaction Score
The closest Ive come to a Links course is the Ocean Course on Kiawah Island. I guess Chambers Bay just doesn't do it for me. It probably doesn't help that Fox is new at this.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Kiawah, Chambers Bay, Shinnecock. I'll take any of them for a US Open over the plethora of cookie cutter, narrow fairway, five inch rough and target golf shots to the green.

You can over power Chambers Bay off the tee but you have to think your iron shot in to the green. You can't just loft it up, land it pin high, have it one hop and stop.

I'm a big fan of courses that make you think a hole in reverse. Figure out where you want to putt from, then figure out what spot in the fairway gives you the best opportunity to hit an iron to that spot on the green and finally figure out what club you have to hit off the tee.

Reaction Score
The only two things I liked about the Fox telecast were Holly Sonders interviewing players, even though she's not very good at it. I also thought placing a mic inside the cups was a brilliant new idea, where you could hear the player''s thoughts and reactions, while putting. It was cool to here a couple of beeps, by the frustrated golfers.

Reaction Score
I've played several links courses in Ireland, love them, links style courses are my favorite to play. They may seem bland on TV, but I think they have more character than parkland couses, albeit often more subtle.

Yeah, the Fox coverage has been sub par, but it has gotten marginally better as the days have gone on.

Looking forward to PGA at Whistling Straights too, another unique and interesting course for a tournament. Would love to see a tournament at t one of the Bandon Dunes courses.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I've played several links courses in Ireland, love them, links style courses are my favorite to play. They may seem bland on TV, but I think they have more character than parkland couses, albeit often more subtle.

Yeah, the Fox coverage has been sub par, but it has gotten marginally better as the days have gone on.

Looking forward to PGA at Whistling Straights too, another unique and interesting course for a tournament. Would love to see a tournament at t one of the Bandon Dunes courses.

I don't recall who said it, but a great quote I heard earlier in the year was, "This year's majors rotation has the Masters and three British Opens."

I cannot get used to seeing Curt Menafee doing golf. And I can do without more Buck.

I remember first day I was at St. Andrews a few years ago. It was raining and nobody was out on any course other than the Old Course. So I played Eden w/o a caddy, ended up getting lost and playing a few holes on Strathtyrum. Had no idea where one started and other ended... all looked the same. Even playing the Old Course the next day when it was clear, had to have a caddy to figure out what direction to hit in and which fairway I supposed to be on - and which hole on the double greens I was supposed to play. It was a very different type of golf.

Gotta love the caddies there though. I remember one hole when I was well into playing a crappy round and had about 15o yards into a mild wind. I asked the caddy for my seven, he hands me a five. I say to him, "I usually hit the seven 160-165 yards." And he laconicly replies, "Not today you're not, laddie."

Reaction Score
Read the article in Golf Digest with his old caddie Stevie and maybe he's not half as bad as some think. But there are Tiger haters and most were there well before he cheated on his wife.
I didn't know anybody who didn't like Eldrick before his wife gave him the iron. He was about as universally loved as an athlete can be. I certainly loved watching him play.
I don't need to read any articles. Guy was cheating on his girlfriend with skanky p0rn actresses before they got engaged, while they were engaged, and after they were married. I wouldn't want to associate or be friends with a man or a woman who did that. It's a scum thing to do. I could forgive anybody for a moment of weakness. That's just being human. What this guy did to his wife was awful, and he's a POS for having done it.

Reaction Score
I didn't know anybody who didn't like Eldrick before his wife gave him the iron. He was about as universally loved as an athlete can be. I certainly loved watching him play.
I don't need to read any articles. Guy was cheating on his girlfriend with skanky p0rn actresses before they got engaged, while they were engaged, and after they were married. I wouldn't want to associate or be friends with a man or a woman who did that. It's a scum thing to do. I could forgive anybody for a moment of weakness. That's just being human. What this guy did to his wife was awful, and he's a POS for having done it.

Congrats for your perfection. Guessing Tiger is the only one to have done anything like that :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Congrats for your perfection. Guessing Tiger is the only one to have done anything like that :rolleyes:
You argue like my crazy ex GF.
What perfection? What are you talking about? Is your complete spectrum perfection/sexfiendcheating scumbag, with nothing in between? This is the "go to the extreme" crazy chick argument technique. You say, "hey babe, I wish you wouldn't park the car in front of the garage door," and her response is, "so you're saying I'm a moron and the worst driver? And you're perfect." Um. No Mau.
And what does other people doing the same scummy thing have to do with anything? Here's the crazy chick response - "Hey babe, I really wish you wouldn't get loaded and start grabbing guy's crotches at parties." What? What? You think I'm the only one doing that. Um. No Mau.
You see, the fact that I'm not perfect has nothing to do with how scummy Eldrick is. And the fact that there are other people as scummy as him doesn't make him less scummy, it just makes him not alone.
Either way, I'd never want to be friends with a man who would treat his GF/fiancee/Wife/Kids so horribly. He's a POS, and his downfall couldn't have happened to a bigger jerk.

Reaction Score
I love links style courses, and don't mind the U.S Open using them. Chambers Bay, though, doesn't look natural to me, and the natural look and the natural look and feel is one if the appeals of links courses. Chambers Bay was manufactured, and it looks like it.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Should be saved for conference realignment but Fox can't cover this correctly. 3 shots behind on Grace. Speith teeing off while they show a mountain. Straight up black for 2 seconds.

Reaction Score
You argue like my crazy ex GF.
What perfection? What are you talking about? Is your complete spectrum perfection/sexfiendcheating scumbag, with nothing in between? This is the "go to the extreme" crazy chick argument technique. You say, "hey babe, I wish you wouldn't park the car in front of the garage door," and her response is, "so you're saying I'm a moron and the worst driver? And you're perfect." Um. No Mau.
And what does other people doing the same scummy thing have to do with anything? Here's the crazy chick response - "Hey babe, I really wish you wouldn't get loaded and start grabbing guy's crotches at parties." What? What? You think I'm the only one doing that. Um. No Mau.
You see, the fact that I'm not perfect has nothing to do with how scummy Eldrick is. And the fact that there are other people as scummy as him doesn't make him less scummy, it just makes him not alone.
Either way, I'd never want to be friends with a man who would treat his GF/fiancee/Wife/Kids so horribly. He's a POS, and his downfall couldn't have happened to a bigger jerk.
Sorry your girlfriend/wife is such a pain in the arse.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The USGA should be ashamed for
granting Fox the television rights.

Amature hour.

Oh you had audio of a ball going in the cup on tape from 90 seconds ago - congrats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom