OT - US Open | The Boneyard

OT - US Open

Status
Not open for further replies.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
The US Open is about to start in a really unique course call Chambers Bay. No water, no rough, lots of sand and dunes, rippled fairways and undulating greens.

I think it's been considered to be a European course.

Who do you think has an advantage - who do you think will win?

I'm going with Rory.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I took Rory in my pool - saw the Golf Network preview and the course seems impossible.

Reaction Score
They were saying strong iron players would do well on the course, especially 2nd shot players.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
I took Rory in my pool - saw the Golf Network preview and the course seems impossible.
So another question - what do you think the winning score will be? I'm going with 6 under. Considering the course has never been played in this venue, it could anything from 6 over to 18 under.

Reaction Score
I like Phil's chances. Might be his best chance to get a US Open win. This course looks impossible. All these guys are going to be so happy coming to play Travelers the next week where they can shoot -15. I'm going with winning score for the Open at -2.

Thoughts on Tiger? Makes the cut?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I heard something on the radio the other day that is worth considering. The players will walk approximately 7 1/2 miles each round with all the undulation and elevation changes. This will be one of those Opens where physical conditioning could matter.

The greens are going to be bumpy and even the best putters will miss perfectly stroked putts. Patience is a key. Because of these bumps and bad breaks, players are going to have to make birdies to compensate for those bad breaks. No on is putting up 72 pars to win this.

All that lends itself to some young fit players like McIlroy, Spieth or Horschel.

Working the ball both ways and being creative are a must, which means players like Bubba Watson should be in contention.

I'm going dark horse on this one. Iron play at a premium? Jason Dufner has been playing some good golf lately, has his personal life (divorce) straightened out and as we saw at Oak Hill, he can stick irons from any where.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
So another question - what do you think the winning score will be? I'm going with 6 under. Considering the course has never been played in this venue, it could anything from 6 over to 18 under.

These guys are good (promo is correct) and will adapt quickly. But it is a new course to almost all of them. I'll go -2 or -3 max.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

I got a text at almost the same time from an informed friend who predicted a 5 under winner with most of the cut endind about 10 over.

Reaction Score
I got a feeling about Ricky Fowler this week. They said on the Golf Channel that the other players were raving about some of the shots he was making during practice round today...

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I got a feeling about Ricky Fowler this week. They said on the Golf Channel that the other players were raving about some of the shots he was making during practice round today...

Agreed at those numbers Fowler is the play.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 31

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I know he hasn't done much recently but watch out for Graeme McDowell this week

Reaction Score
I just can't wait to watch them play this course, it's going to be fun for sure. What a great venue. No lead will be safe here on Sunday.

Reaction Score
It's basically a British Open in the United States.

There are going to be weird, exciting shots all week.

Reaction Score
It's basically a British Open in the United States.

There are going to be weird, exciting shots all week.

There are basically 3 British Opens this year. Chambers Bay, St Andrews and Whistling Straits. ;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
What Chambers Bay has that most links courses don't have is massive elevation changes. These are 10'-15' moguls, they're much larger changes.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Wouldn't be surprised if an unknown wins this weekend. The course is a monster and I expect lots of bogies and double bogies, especially on Sunday! The greens here are just stupid dumb, not like the Links courses in the UK where they just go on forever, here the greens are just...dumb. Such a hard course.

Reaction Score
It doesn't look like the course has trees. Almsot looks like a public course, that is until you get up close.

df028694-aerial-Chambers-Bay-Golf-Course-stock-photo.jpg

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
I think the scoring will depend on what the wind does. If it's calm all week I think the winner will be 8-10 under par but if it's windy it'll be hovering around even. I think the golfer who can move the ball in both directions the best gets the win so I'm going with lefty to complete the career grand slam.

Reaction Score
I do a pool with my friends in which you have to select 3 golfers from the top 20 world rankings and then 3 from the rest of the field. My picks are:

Rickie Fowler
Justin Rose
Dustin Johnson

Brandt Snedeker
Zach Johnson
Francesco Molinari

Reaction Score
I do a pool with my friends in which you have to select 3 golfers from the top 20 world rankings and then 3 from the rest of the field. My picks are:

Rickie Fowler
Justin Rose
Dustin Johnson

Brandt Snedeker
Zach Johnson
Francesco Molinari

That's a fun one. Has anyone done Draft Kings before? I see they have a big US Open Contest going on.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Even if the courses gets screwed up, it's good for American golf. No country in the world has as varied a geological footprint for golf. It doesn't have to be Baltrusol type course every year. Shinnecock, Pinehurst, Southern Hills, Cherry Point, Chambers Bay and Torrey Pine are all indicative of regional variances within the States. Plus it's nice to have prime time golf on Sat/Sun.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Razzle

Top Bottom