OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT

Reaction Score
you can't throw parties anymore without the threat of arrest and huge monetary fines. you can't party if you want to

#thankssusan
Seems like it was getting lamer for a while but I get the impression everything changed after that last student death where the kid from Long Island punched the kid and he died?

Reaction Score
Seems like it was getting lamer for a while but I get the impression everything changed after that last student death where the kid from Long Island punched the kid and he died?
I was there 08-12, there for that event. Spring Weekend 09 my first year was about as legit as anything I’ve heard about from prior years. I think maybe the next year is when the kid died from the non-UConn student. Then they cracked down, turned campus into a near concentration camp (required IDs for anyone trying to enter campus by car) and the weather was awful. No recovery from that. Fortunately by the time you’re a junior or senior like I was, you don’t really need spring weekend to have a blast before finals. But just about everyone younger than me and my class have no idea what a real spring weekend is like.

There were far better ways to go about making things safer without killing it off, but the University’s tacit participation in it with their own “spring weekend” events didn’t help public perception either. All they needed to do was do a better job of keeping non-UConn kids out; everyone knew that those are the ones who show up, wreck the place, and cause he most trouble.

Reaction Score
I was there 08-12, there for that event. Spring Weekend 09 my first year was about as legit as anything I’ve heard about from prior years. I think maybe the next year is when the kid died from the non-UConn student. Then they cracked down, turned campus into a near concentration camp (required IDs for anyone trying to enter campus by car) and the weather was awful. No recovery from that. Fortunately by the time you’re a junior or senior like I was, you don’t really need spring weekend to have a blast before finals. But just about everyone younger than me and my class have no idea what a real spring weekend is like.

There were far better ways to go about making things safer without killing it off, but the University’s tacit participation in it with their own “spring weekend” events didn’t help public perception either. All they needed to do was do a better job of keeping non-UConn kids out; everyone knew that those are the ones who show up, wreck the place, and cause he most trouble.
That first cancelled spring weekend was a complete violation of everyone's rights. And that's not hyperbole.

The biggest mistake they made was over policing hunting lodge road. That's when parties started moving further off campus. They had everyone contained to one central location and had eyes on everything that was going on.

Reaction Score
The town of Mansfield threatened to evict my roommates and me last year because we had 5 cars in the driveway for more 3 days in a row. No parties, nothing. Just 5 cars in the driveway and we received a notice of immediate house inspection.

The house I rented was also the cover photo of a Facebook group “Mansfield Neighborhood Preservation” comprised of residents with WAY too much time on their hands. Their goal is to strengthen enforcement of existing occupancy rental regulations & reduce the density of rentals in neighborhoods.

Reaction Score
Which rights?
Freedom to travel. State and local roads surrounding campus were shut down to anyone that didn't have a UConn student ID. It wasn't just at campus entrances

Also, the right to have guests and visitors in your residence hall (all guests were barred) and the right to protection from dorm search and seizure (police & RA's conducted random door sweeps)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The town of Mansfield threatened to evict my roommates and me last year because we had 5 cars in the driveway for more 3 days in a row. No parties, nothing. Just 5 cars in the driveway and we received a notice of immediate house inspection.

The house I rented was also the cover photo of a Facebook group “Mansfield Neighborhood Preservation” comprised of residents with WAY too much time on their hands. Their goal is to strengthen enforcement of existing occupancy rental regulations & reduce the density of rentals in neighborhoods.
Stainmaster probably runs the group

Reaction Score
Do they still put big black stars and dates on doors of people who puked after "partying" in UConn dorms?
who is "they?" if you're referring to RA's, no. They call the police and make you go to the hospital

Reaction Score
who is "they?" if you're referring to RA's, no. They call the police and make you go to the hospital
Fellow students. Sounds like "1984" now. So be it. Glad I went when I did!

RAs call the police if you are puking???? I would have been expelled from the damn school for partying.

Reaction Score
Regulations which existed even before 3 renters of the house signed a lease?
he didn't argue the legality of it. that doesn't mean evicting someone and threatening to remove them from their home because they had an extra car or two in their driveway is a reasonable or humane thing to do. the town doesn't view UConn students as people. They are a nuisance and they will do whatever they can to remove them.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
he didn't argue the legality of it. that doesn't mean evicting someone and threatening to remove them from their home because they had an extra car or two in their driveway is a reasonable or humane thing to do. the town doesn't view UConn students as people. They are a nuisance and they will do whatever they can to remove them.

You don’t view Mansfield residents as people. Stop projecting.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stainmaster probably runs the group

They’re nuts who want the town to ban all rentals. They just make a lot of noise and don’t hold any actual power.

Reaction Score
Stainmaster in this thread...
piven.jpg

C

Chief00

Me thinks you’re being cheeky with this response....

But for those who seriously think she has de-emphasized athletics, get some facts and come back and see me. It reeks of sexism and/or ignorance. No one likes the current state of our conference affiliation, but the groundwork was laid by the idiot combo of Hathaway and Hogan (and Austin to a lesser degree) well before Susan arrived. If anything, she may be guilty of allowing/approving a P-5 athletic budget in spite of being in the American.

I can tell you don’t know the deal - Austin was well liked by other Presidents and we would have been in a P5 conference.

Ask female students if they like Suzy?
Ask University presidents who like the USF female president if they like Suzy?

Hint, you will get the same answer to both questions.

Reaction Score
I can tell you don’t know the deal - Austin was well liked by other Presidents and we would have been in a P5 conference.

Ask female students if they like Suzy?
Ask University presidents who like the USF female president if they like Suzy?

Hint, you will get the same answer to both questions.
she has no people or PR skills whatsoever.

Reaction Score
yes. And, if you're throwing a party, the first fine is $250/resident. 2nd is $500, 3rd is $750 and 4th is $1000. The landlord also starts getting fined starting the 2nd time and they can evict you if they want to.

you can also be fined if the cars in your driveway are not registered with the town and aren't parked in the towns "designated parking spaces." Someone from the town drives around and hands out tickets if you aren't parked "properly" in your driveway or if a car is found in the driveway overnight that isn't registered to the home.
A sign of the times. Control , control and more control. It's like this here in the EU. Rules about the rules.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
You don’t view Mansfield residents as people. Stop projecting.
Says the guy who thinks UConn needs to exist in a “bubble” around precious Mansfield.

Mansfield would be a swamp suburb of Willimantic without UConn. Pipe down.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom