OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT

Reaction Score
Between the two of us, I'm the only one enrolled in a UConn program at present, so I have plenty more skin in the game than you. I don't have numbers with me, but anyone currently in admissions will tell you there's been a huge increase in interest from the wealthiest areas of the state now that UConn's prestige has increased has gone up. Is it a coincidence that renter behavior got the point where action had to be taken just as the student body began drawing more people from entitled backgrounds? You tell me.
I can't tell if you are trolling or not, so I'm going to give you a half-hearted answer just in case you swing both ways.

UConn has always had students from all towns in Connecticut. I grew up in Greenwich and had about 80 kids in my high school go to Storrs, with another large number going to UConn-Stamford and then working their way to Storrs. UConn has an increased representation from more wealthy towns because the rising prices of college (out of state public schools and private schools) have made other college options financially poor choices long-term. I graduated high school in '04 with pretty good grades and excellent SAT scores. I could have applied and gone to some academically prominent schools, but as a high school grad who had to pay for his own education, my only prudent options were UConn or an international school (I applied, but did not get into McGill).

It's not a rich/poor thing, it's a general culture thing. I'm only 31, but kids nowadays have less autonomy and more reliance on their parents to fend for them not just financially but more importantly, their responsibility. I'm a middle school teacher and it's amazing how some parents will defer their kid's bad decisions on somebody else, be it me, another student, the school, etc. When I was a kid, if I screwed up, it was my fault and my parents let me deal with whatever consequence came with it.

But whatever, you're a college student, so you know everything, especially about the changes at UConn throughout your few years of enrollment.

C

Chief00

student/townie feuds are a tale as old as time. usually students get support from the President but Susan didn't deem it important. Her agenda was get rid of the party school reputation and remove the focus from athletics. she has succeeded wonderfully. Can't wait until she's gone and the students get an advocate

Agreed, she has been a total disaster in those two areas.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
Chief, how has she taken the focus off of athletics? Do you believe that she sandbagged the university during the L'ville to ACC debacle?

We just had the most successful outreach campaign that we've had in years with the road show. She's launched the 6th Borough campaign which was a deliberate attempt to raise our profile. She aggressively pursued Big 12 affiliation. Our athletic budget remains at a P5 level. I'm finding it tough to see how she was implementing an agenda to take away the focus from athletics.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Chief, how has she taken the focus off of athletics? Do you believe that she sandbagged the university during the L'ville to ACC debacle?

We just had the most successful outreach campaign that we've had in years with the road show. She's launched the 6th Borough campaign which was a deliberate attempt to raise our profile. She aggressively pursued Big 12 affiliation. Our athletic budget remains at a P5 level. I'm finding it tough to see how she was implementing an agenda to take away the focus from athletics.
She stopped non-students from living in athletic housing and hanging around the facilities, I guess.

C

Chief00

The conference realignment is a President’s gig and she failed in that 3 times. That was her most important role in athletics.

C

Chief00

She stopped non-students from living in athletic housing and hanging around the facilities, I guess.

I wasn’t aware UConn had “athletics housing”. What are you proposing- that we turn into a football factory?

Reaction Score
Me thinks you’re being cheeky with this response....

But for those who seriously think she has de-emphasized athletics, get some facts and come back and see me. It reeks of sexism and/or ignorance. No one likes the current state of our conference affiliation, but the groundwork was laid by the idiot combo of Hathaway and Hogan (and Austin to a lesser degree) well before Susan arrived. If anything, she may be guilty of allowing/approving a P-5 athletic budget in spite of being in the American.

CL82

Reaction Score
The conference realignment is a President’s gig and she failed in that 3 times. That was her most important role in athletics.
Not getting it done is different than deliberately deemphasizing athletics. I'm not sure anyone could have gotten it done the way the stars aligned. Now, if you wanted to argue that she took our admission for granted when L'Ville took our slot, I'll agree, but that's different from actively trying to deemphasize athletics.

Reaction Score
You are right, obviously. I was, apparently, conflating Spring weekend, which happens before finals, with the Stowe party.

If I recall correctly, the guys in whichever of the Stowe's it was (and I'm going with B) all signed off on an agreement to share the cost of the damages prior to the party.

Daily Campus - May 1, 1979 - no mention until p.32-33

http://archives.lib.uconn.edu/islandora/object/20002:860253296#page/33/mode/2up

All the Stowe residents that had hoped to remain in the co-ed dorm the following year were forced to live elsewhere.

CL82

Reaction Score
Daily Campus - May 1, 1979 - no mention until p.32-33

http://archives.lib.uconn.edu/islandora/object/20002:860253296#page/33/mode/2up

All the Stowe residents that had hoped to remain in the co-ed dorm the following year were forced to live elsewhere.
This is closer to my recollection. It was during South Campus weekend the week before finals, not after finals but it was '79 not 80.

There's a Leslie Palmieri quote at the end of the article. Haven't thought about her for years. Didn't she marry UConn MBB assistant Greg Ashford?

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This is closer to my recollection. It was during South Campus weekend the week before finals, not after finals but it was '79 not 80.

There's a Leslie Palmieri quote at the end of the article. Haven't thought about her for years. Didn't she marry UConn MBB assistant Greg Ashford?
I was on campus for orientation the summer of 79 and the End of the World Party was all anyone wanted to talk about.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I wasn’t aware UConn had “athletics housing”. What are you proposing- that we turn into a football factory?
I don't party with the players, but my understanding is that they generally all get priority housing in the apartments on the hill above Gampel. You're up there all the time, let us know.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Mansfield NIMBYs have held back transformational projects that would have had major positive impact on the state. It’s ironic you mention enterprise drive, because that’s where one of them should have gone.

Bless you for thinking Mansfield should win the Nobel prize for giving up a minuscule amount of land that was occupied by a bank branch and other unmemorable sprawl.

Any property value concerns should be addressed with several landowners who seem very content taking their rent money and not investing in their property. They’ve been milking students for literally decades, and often openly ignoring the precious Mansfield regulations.

Did some girl from Stamford turn you down, or something? So much rage.

Mansfield NIMBYs stopped running the town about the time you graduated. The people who led the charge against the original tech park and an on-campus football stadium are either dead or not involved in public life anymore. If you graduated in 1999 as your handle suggests, why do you feel so compelled to speak with authority on things you know nothing about?

Yes, we should be rewarded handsomely — for putting up with your crap above everything else.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Snowflake. Dose some more Aderol.

You see, here’s the thing, Frank. I don’t know what world you think you’re living in, but being a terrible, racist human being is your own (and your parents’) fault. It’s not as if other people are being “snowflakes” and overreacting to what you somehow think are reasonable thoughts and ideas. It’s a reflection solely of you and your diseased way of thinking.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
was it worse than fast eddy?
Holy lolz, forgot about that psycho.

Max Creek?!?!

This is so funny to me, for a few reasons. I know those guys but have otherwise very little connection to anything MA or CT.

I'm on my way to Manhattan to see them this afternoon .

Reaction Score
I can't tell if you are trolling or not, so I'm going to give you a half-hearted answer just in case you swing both ways. ... But whatever, you're a college student, so you know everything, especially about the changes at UConn throughout your few years of enrollment.
Quite frankly, neither Stainmaster nor an overwhelming # of people poking around the Boneyard knows everything about UConn, UConn hoops nor other Huskies' athletics facts (except maybe Susan, Rachel, AD David Benedict, or their most trusted gophers).

However, apparently having been raised in a Mansfield household led by a fairly high-level current or previous UConn administrator or otherwise well-connected UConn official may have enabled and enable Stainmaster to pick up some fact-based info. FWIW, others may not have such access nor clues. That said, the young grasshopper may still be trolling. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom