OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
"Complex system" = technocracy. :rolleyes:

Nevermind. Forgot to avoid Boneyard debates.

When I meant complex system, I was referring to the number of people in the world, the interconnections of the global economy, mountainous bureaucracy, number being lifted out of poverty, resulting pollution and resource drain, the affect of the internet and instant communication...etc etc. All of it.

Reaction Score
I have a degree in IT, thank you. It actually doesn't have to be that hard to create a database that covers every person. We're getting there as we type.
Before things fall apart completely, there is zero doubt that we'll all be uniquely identifiable immediately upon contact with LEOs. DNA, Retina, Fingerprint, or just plain old facial recognition. Pocket supercomputers (smartphones) already have facial recognition.
Around the 1970s the computer and genetic engineering both started to take off. Here we are 48 years or so later and children walk around with super computers in their pockets and we are knocking on the door to genetically modified humans (a la Gattica).
There is little doubt that biometrics will be used as a normal, everyday ID at some point in the near future.
And why not? Almost everybody is content to have Google/Apple/NSA/Facebook know everything about them. Snowden, Assange, Facebook datasnooping and sales - it just doesn't matter. Few people, if any, care about privacy sufficiently to slow the avalanche.
At some point soon you'll walk into whole foods, pick your stuff up, and use your face as your ID to have the money debited from your account.

And as for a DBase that has all Americans in it - or darn close - I'd be shocked if it doesn't exist in a non-public form already.
With AI and time, it will continue to improve, until a camera set in Times Square can uniquely identify everybody passing closely enough.

How long before a Farenheit 451 Boston Robotics dog arrives at your door and requests a bio scan (a la Minority Report) in order to determine the location of a fugitive?

Not long.

Reaction Score
When I meant complex system, I was referring to the number of people in the world, the interconnections of the global economy, mountainous bureaucracy, number being lifted out of poverty, resulting pollution and resource drain, the affect of the internet and instant communication...etc etc. All of it.
Trends favor addressing everything you've mentioned.

So....back to UConn being a party school, where were we?! We need it to become like A Clockwork Orange again, we were saying?!? SEC schools (especially their football programs) are already living that lifestyle.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
1987? Hah, they lived off of well-earned reps from earlier years in the decade. Before CT's drinking age was raised to 19 about 1982, Tue or Wed nights may have included the Anonymous Pub or 1/4 barrels for hallway bowling once or Nth times weekly before kicking it up a notch at Rapps, then dorm parties, etc. Thur afternoon/night, and weekends when a few too many pseudo-commuters inexplicably went home for the weekend.

Last state(s) to raise drinking age to 21: A) Under threat of not receiving Federal highway funds and other Federal dinero, Wyoming in 1988. Or, B) Louisiana which increased it to 21 about 1987, but just didn't enforce it for several more years.

They served my son a Hurricane at Pat O'Brien's restaurant on Bourbon St. in NOLA, which we didn't order. We thought it was a virgin. It wasn't. That was in 2001 when we were there for the NCAAs. He was 15. They don't care much about enforcing any drinking age in Louisiana.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Reasonably perhaps, but shockingly to some Bourbon Street and Nawlins' in general still may not represent all of the Bayou State. Mid-80s, I have first-hand recollection of a good number of on the surface dry towns ... Baton Rouge was not included.

Ruston, where LA Tech is, was still a dry town as recently as the early 2000's when we attended a UCONN game there. A guy I worked with that graduated from LA Tech in the late 70's talked about having to drive over to Grambling to buy beer. Grambling is only about 7 miles from Ruston. After two home and away contracts, Geno said after the second game there that he was never going back, since there's no place to get a drink in Ruston.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom