OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
09B4BB3B-EE1E-4F29-92A6-872A9C42EAA3.jpeg

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
A lot of people can make that claim. I mean 15 years is a long time.
I actually knew a guy from an online chat room who had attended college for 16 years - full time and did not have a degree. He did not party. He was just a ridiculously smart guy with Asperger who couldn't stay on track for any one thing. He actually told a story once of getting a job working in customer service for a large telecom and got fired on his second of five days of orientation because he kept arguing with the presenter regarding the proper procedures for doing trouble shooting from the established protocol. It takes talent to get fired during orientation.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I actually knew a guy from an online chat room who had attended college for 16 years - full time and did not have a degree. He did not party. He was just a ridiculously smart guy with Asperger who couldn't stay on track for any one thing. He actually told a story once of getting a job working in customer service for a large telecom and got fired on his second of five days of orientation because he kept arguing with the presenter regarding the proper procedures for doing trouble shooting from the established protocol. It takes talent to get fired during orientation.
So what did he end up doing? I'm going with actuary.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I was 84-89. Great parties, including MTV filming Spring Weekend live two years in a row. Great lineup of concerts as well. Southside Johnny freshman year on the quad was an absolute blast. We even had keg night freshman year in the Towers common area.

Learned every bit as much about life and people through all of that, as I did sitting in class. Kids today are dramatically less self sufficient than I was back then. I have to believe that they need college every bit as much for life skills as for whatever they get in the classroom. They need to drop the drinking age to 18 for people with college IDs if they are on campus residents and drink on or walking distance (Ted's, Huskies etc.) from campus. Learning to deal with that in a relatively safe environment is important.
Edit: fixed a typo

There was a massive keg party on North Eagleville when UConn hosted Yale for the first time in forever in 92 or 93. CBS was there. The party actually hired town police for security. That was a great day.

C

Chief00

Herbst invisions a school in which kids have no opportunity to develop street smarts or critical thinking. She seeks the book 1984 concept.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Those were the days ... Playboy, 1987

#6 UConn
#20 CCSU

Top-40-Party-colleges-760x1024-760x1024.jpg

And I spent almost as much time at UVM because several best friends were there, so I always had a Mad River Glen pass, and I even lived there one summer during college. Yes, they were better. And iirc the last state to raise the drinking age from 18.

Reaction Score
1987? Hah, they lived off of well-earned reps from earlier years in the decade. Before CT's drinking age was raised to 19 about 1982, Tue or Wed nights may have included the Anonymous Pub or 1/4 barrels for hallway bowling once or Nth times weekly before kicking it up a notch at Rapps, then dorm parties, etc. Thur afternoon/night, and weekends when a few too many pseudo-commuters inexplicably went home for the weekend.

Last state(s) to raise drinking age to 21: A) Under threat of not receiving Federal highway funds and other Federal dinero, Wyoming in 1988. Or, B) Louisiana which increased it to 21 about 1987, but just didn't enforce it for several more years.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Louisiana which increased it to 21 about 1987, but just didn't enforce it for several more years.

Some would argue they still don't. I binge drank on Bourbon St. at 16 and was never carded.

Of course that was 17 years ago.

Reaction Score
Some would argue they still don't. I binge drank on Bourbon St. at 16 and was never carded. Of course that was 17 years ago.
Reasonably perhaps, but shockingly to some Bourbon Street and Nawlins' in general still may not represent all of the Bayou State. Mid-80s, I have first-hand recollection of a good number of on the surface dry towns ... Baton Rouge was not included.

Reaction Score
It can only be judged in the rear view mirror.
Couple of small examples:
In 1985, I paid about 76 cents for a gallon of gas, I made about 10 bucks an hour at a delivery job, and my first car cost 800 bucks and still had 50,000 or so miles of life left in it. Also, pretty much any reasonably hard working high school grad could get a blue collar job making 15 or 20 bucks an hour (and much more in some cases).
Today? Using .gov CPI (133% inflation), here are those same numbers:
Gas - 1.77 per gallon.
Wage - 23.30
Car - $1,864.
Basic HS Grad Job - $34,950 - $46,600.

You'll notice the following: Gas has gone up a lot. Wages for a delivery job have declined greatly. Used cars with good life have gone up dramatically. HS grad pay has declined substantially.
You do understand that the official CPI number specifically EXCLUDES energy prices, i.e. oil and gas ?

You also understand that the official CPI number has been manipulated into meaninglessness ?

Meanwhile, you conflate "blue collar job" with "HS grad pay". I virtually guarantee an actual blue collar job, like plumber, electrician, or welder pays the same, or even more than it did in 1985. Can you GET a job like that out of HS ? Almost definitely not, but that's a whole different story about how tons of blue collar jobs have departed, replaced by the service economy.

I'm also not sure your car purchasing experience in 1985 is representative. I bought a car in 1986, it was a 1982 Olds Omega that also had 50K left in it, maybe more. It cost $1800 at the time.

Reaction Score
Meh, more likely to fall apart than be Utopia. Increasingly complex systems inevitably fail.
Depends on point of view. It would literally take a miracle to achieve "Utopia". I'll leave it at that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Depends on point of view. It would literally take a miracle to achieve "Utopia". I'll leave it at that.

I'll put it another way I guess. The more complex a system becomes the more likely it is to fail. The world is becoming increasingly complex. The odds say the experiment fails. Not in our lifetime mind you.

Reaction Score
You do understand that the official CPI number specifically EXCLUDES energy prices, i.e. oil and gas ?
You mean Core CPI?
In any event, official CPI is less than actual inflation, so my argument is supported more by real inflation viz a viz .gov CPI.
You also understand that the official CPI number has been manipulated into meaninglessness ?
Not meaningless, but not an indication of actual inflation, I agree.
I virtually guarantee an actual blue collar job, like plumber, electrician, or welder pays the same, or even more than it did in 1985.
Unsure, but those specific "trades" are not representative of the general rate of pay for a H.S. grad entering the blue collar work force. Maid, restaurant server, delivery driver, body shop worker, auto plant worker, injection molding factory, cloth printing factory, custodian. The buying power of the money earned in the blue collar jobs in the U.S. has been eroded by wage stagnation and dollar devaluation AKA inflation.

I'm also not sure your car purchasing experience in 1985 is representative. I bought a car in 1986, it was a 1982 Olds Omega that also had 50K left in it, maybe more. It cost $1800 at the time.
4 year old car only had 50k left in it? I guess it was an Olds, so that's a real possibility, lol.

Reaction Score
You mean Core CPI?
In any event, official CPI is less than actual inflation, so my argument is supported more by real inflation viz a viz .gov CPI.

Not meaningless, but not an indication of actual inflation, I agree.

Unsure, but those specific "trades" are not representative of the general rate of pay for a H.S. grad entering the blue collar work force. Maid, restaurant server, delivery driver, body shop worker, auto plant worker, injection molding factory, cloth printing factory, custodian. The buying power of the money earned in the blue collar jobs in the U.S. has been eroded by wage stagnation and dollar devaluation AKA inflation.

4 year old car only had 50k left in it? I guess it was an Olds, so that's a real possibility, lol.

Many of those jobs (factory worker, welder, machanic etc) require some post high school education nowadays.

Reaction Score
I'll put it another way I guess. The more complex a system becomes the more likely it is to fail. The world is becoming increasingly complex. The odds say the experiment fails. Not in our lifetime mind you.
I have a degree in IT, thank you. It actually doesn't have to be that hard to create a database that covers every person. We're getting there as we type.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I have a degree in IT, thank you. It actually doesn't have to be that hard to create a database that covers every person. We're getting there as we type.

You got the right thread/post? I'm not making any connection to what I posted haha

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom