OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: UConn 447th best party school in US; 7th in CT

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought I recalled we were there at the same time.
A lot of people can make that claim. I mean 15 years is a long time.

Reaction Score
Or it could be a typo. Although after taking a couple years off I did resume from 91-94 @ Kansas.

How would you describe the differences in relations between the good people of Lawrence and KU and the citizens of the greater Mansfield metropolitan area and UConn?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah I figured it was a typo, as I thought I recalled we were there at the same time.

It was interesting to see the difference at KU, although not really living in a residence hall may not have provided a clear picture. Just vastly different having a downtown with over a dozen bars, plus many more scattered around campus. Much bigger fraternity and sorority scene than at UConn. Plus there was a dense neighborhood of homes abutting campus that was largely rented to students. Hundreds of houses. And those were between campus and downtown, so...somewhat ideal.

Reaction Score
It was interesting to see the difference at KU, although not really living in a residence hall may not have provided a clear picture. Just vastly different having a downtown with over a dozen bars, plus many more scattered around campus. Much bigger fraternity and sorority scene than at UConn. Plus there was a dense neighborhood of homes abutting campus that was largely rented to students. Hundreds of houses. And those were between campus and downtown, so...somewhat ideal.

I'm going to guess that this was a reply to me and that sounds about right.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
How would you describe the differences in relations between the good people of Lawrence and KU and the citizens of the greater Mansfield metropolitan area and UConn?

It's entirely different. When you go to Taco Bell in Lawrence on game day they are wearing KU stuff, not Taco Bell logo clothes. That's an example. The whole town is like an extension of the school in many ways, and it's a much, much, bigger town. The truth is, that west of Iowa street (a major dividing road on the edge of campus), is largely nice, new homes owned by Doctors, lawyers, professors and the like. Students who venture to that part of town need to comport themselves as they would in any upscale suburb. East of Iowa is campus and lots of homes adjacent to campus and downtown. It's dominated by the school entirely. Certainly there are nice restaurants downtown, and the regular residents go there. But there are loads of college bars as well.

This really shows the difference quite well Lawrence Police was hilariously tweeting Kansas fans through their Final Four sadness

And they allow this when they win. Lawrence Police had the perfect tweet for Kansas' massive Final Four celebration

Can you imagine the UConn or Mansfield police taking this attitude

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It's entirely different. When you go to Taco Bell in Lawrence on game day they are wearing KU stuff, not Taco Bell logo clothes. That's an example. The whole town is like an extension of the school in many ways, and it's a much, much, bigger town. The truth is, that west of Iowa street (a major dividing road on the edge of campus), is largely nice, new homes owned by Doctors, lawyers, professors and the like. Students who venture to that part of town need to comport themselves as they would in any upscale suburb. East of Iowa is campus and lots of homes adjacent to campus and downtown. It's dominated by the school entirely. Certainly there are nice restaurants downtown, and the regular residents go there. But there are loads of college bars as well.

This really shows the difference quite well Lawrence Police was hilariously tweeting Kansas fans through their Final Four sadness

This sounds pretty similar to Athens, GA and other "good college towns" out there.

Obviously UConn is in a different position. I've always been a proponent of the campus and the area right around it becoming its own "town", similar to how Mississippi State is techincally located in "Mississippi State University, MS."

That campus is in a similar rural setting and it allows the university to have greater control over both the construction on campus and the development of the surrounding area.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
This sounds pretty similar to Athens, GA and other "good college towns" out there.

Obviously UConn is in a different position. I've always been a proponent of the campus and the area right around it becoming its own "town", similar to how Mississippi State is techincally located in "Mississippi State University, MS."

That campus is in a similar rural setting and it allows the university to have greater control over both the construction on campus and the development of the surrounding area.

UGA is #2 on their list by the way. 2018 Top Party Schools in America - Niche

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
U of Iowa was ranked No. 1 party school twice while my son was an undergrad. Since he's graduated they fallen down the list. He's quite proud of himself. Chip off the old block.

Reaction Score
How are these rankings done? Who could possibly know enough to arrive at these conclusions? What are the criteria? Sounds to me like a load of BS.

Reaction Score
You're not paying attention. Or you're ignoring what you're perceiving.
Stability is waning. We've just passed through the golden age of humanity, in terms of economic prosperity and civil liberties.
Virtually everything is moving toward greater chaos - I certainly don't want it - but here we are.
Chew up another Ritalin youg fella - and stock up.
Humanity will be richer and much more advanced in the future but do you really think 5% of the world's population (the United States of America) makes that much of a difference? That's incredibly ethnocentric. Civil liberties weren't balanced out and have yet to still be balanced out. Many "native Americans" are still oppressed to this day. But there'll be a Utopia one day.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think someone hit the nail on the head in saying that lowering the drinking age would ameliorate a lot of the issues we’re talking about

C

Chief00

I was 84-89. Great parties, including MTV filming Spring Weekend live two years in a row. Great lineup of concerts as well. Southside Johnny freshman year on the quad was an absolute blast. We even had keg night freshman year in the Towers common area.

Learned every bit as much about life and people through all of that, as I did sitting in class. Kids today are dramatically less self sufficient than I was back then. I have to believe that they need college every bit as much for life skills as for whatever they get in the classroom. They need to drop the drinking age to 18 for people with college IDs if they are on campus residents and drink on or walking distance (Ted's, Huskies etc.) from campus. Learning to deal with that in a relatively safe environment is important.
Edit: fixed a typo

Totally agree!

Reaction Score
You're not paying attention. Or you're ignoring what you're perceiving.
Stability is waning. We've just passed through the golden age of humanity, in terms of economic prosperity and civil liberties.
Virtually everything is moving toward greater chaos - I certainly don't want it - but here we are.
Chew up another Ritalin youg fella - and stock up.
Golden age? ?? Are you living on the same planet as the rest of us?

Reaction Score
Humanity will be richer and much more advanced in the future but do you really think 5% of the world's population (the United States of America) makes that much of a difference? That's incredibly ethnocentric. Civil liberties weren't balanced out and have yet to still be balanced out. Many "native Americans" are still oppressed to this day. But there'll be a Utopia one day.
I hope what you say is not wishful thinking. Myself, I am pretty pessimistic about the future.

Reaction Score
It was interesting to see the difference at KU ...
And, another massive difference and advantage for Lawrence. Unlike Storrs, KU's campus and university community are not planted in and surrounded by a heavily rural setting with primarily 2 lane roads (1 each direction).

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Meh, more likely to fall apart than be Utopia. Increasingly complex systems inevitably fail.

Reaction Score
Humanity will be richer and much more advanced in the future . . .
As to your second part, technology will continue to advance, no doubt, but energy=wealth, so only an increase in useful energy, per person, will result in more riches. The opposite is happening right now - useful Joules/person is in decline, and so too much wealth/individual.
Of course, that's not to say that the shrinking pie must affect all the same way. I have no doubt that the people who are very greedy and very smart will leverage technology to increase their share of the energy pie.
. . . but do you really think 5% of the world's population (the United States of America) makes that much of a difference?
5% of the population is not representative of power. India has about 1/5 of the people, but has little or no power.
Power is derived from the ability to project economic and military violence - and the U.S. is still far and away the leader in that regard.
That's incredibly ethnocentric.
It's just the way it is. You can hang whatever label on it that appeals to you.
Civil liberties weren't balanced out and have yet to still be balanced out.
I think you're conflating "equal access" to rights to the rights themselves. No doubt that bias and prejudice has ensured that civil liberty has not been equally administered at any point in the U.S. - and most of the time it has been grossly mis-administered.
My point was that civil liberties are now in decline, and freedom to speak, assemble, engage in religion, and so on (think bill of rights) are being eroded. That applies to everyone, however they have been treated historically.
Many "native Americans" are still oppressed to this day.
Well, I don't know anything about this, but it sounds like something that's likely true.
But there'll be a Utopia one day.
If you mean after we're dead, then I'll be hoping you're right.

Reaction Score
Golden age? ?? Are you living on the same planet as the rest of us?
It can only be judged in the rear view mirror.
Couple of small examples:
In 1985, I paid about 76 cents for a gallon of gas, I made about 10 bucks an hour at a delivery job, and my first car cost 800 bucks and still had 50,000 or so miles of life left in it. Also, pretty much any reasonably hard working high school grad could get a blue collar job making 15 or 20 bucks an hour (and much more in some cases).
Today? Using .gov CPI (133% inflation), here are those same numbers:
Gas - 1.77 per gallon.
Wage - 23.30
Car - $1,864.
Basic HS Grad Job - $34,950 - $46,600.

You'll notice the following: Gas has gone up a lot. Wages for a delivery job have declined greatly. Used cars with good life have gone up dramatically. HS grad pay has declined substantially.

Economically, this country has declined rapidly in the last 30 years. Hard for me to fathom how anybody disputes that.

Regarding civil liberties, the Patriot Act was the beginning of the end. Snowden showed us that the agencies don't care about your Constitutional rights. Some people cared. Most didn't. And nothing changed.

It's all wrapping up. Decency and society are fading.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom