OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | Page 15 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

Reaction Score
Springsteen is not boring remotely. And he is amazing live. That’s the key.

Saw Bruce when I was in high school, at the Augusta Civic Center...in the middle of the summer...no AC in the place. As typical. he played for about two hours, took a twenty minute break, came back and played two more hours. A good job on a regular day, but pretty notable when it's 900 degrees inside. Saw him more recently at The Rent...under much nicer conditions....

Reaction Score
Color my world Brings out the ((((feels))))) in me
I suspect CMW has spurred more relationships than any other song. When younger who couldn’t wait for that song to be played so you could slow dance with the girl you had the hots for.
Full disclosure though. I should disqualify myself from these rock threads because I don’t think We Built This City is that horrible.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I suspect CMW has spurred more relationships than any other song. When younger who couldn’t wait for that song to be played so you could slow dance with the girl you had the hots for.
Full disclosure though. I should disqualify myself from these rock threads because I don’t think We Built This City is that horrible.
That’s a bridge too far for me, and I know I’m on record as citing that as my vote for worst song of all time. But that has always been in the context of a response to the question of worst songs, or if directly confronted with the song itself.

The bottom line is that we can’t help whatever is wired into our musical DNA. I just read an article an hour ago in today’s NYT that was a condensed interview with Stephen Malkmus, formerly of Pavement, a 90’s band I really liked (still do actually), and he was talking about his love of the Carpenters and Captain & Tennille because it was on the radio so much during his formative years and reminded him of that time. He’s a year younger than me, and I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it. I don’t own any of their music (unless I still have them among my old 45s) and haven’t listened to it consciously in decades, but I still know it by heart and wouldn’t turn them off if they came on the 70s station, which is on my second screen of Sirius presets.

Reaction Score

Because...it's not horrible...

Reaction Score
That’s a bridge too far for me, and I know I’m on record as citing that as my vote for worst song of all time. But that has always been in the context of a response to the question of worst songs, or if directly confronted with the song itself.

The bottom line is that we can’t help whatever is wired into our musical DNA. I just read an article an hour ago in today’s NYT that was a condensed interview with Stephen Malkmus, formerly of Pavement, a 90’s band I really liked (still do actually), and he was talking about his love of the Carpenters and Captain & Tennille because it was on the radio so much during his formative years and reminded him of that time. He’s a year younger than me, and I was thinking the same thing as I was reading it. I don’t own any of their music (unless I still have them among my old 45s) and haven’t listened to it consciously in decades, but I still know it by heart and wouldn’t turn them off if they came on the 70s station, which is on my second screen of Sirius presets.
Yeah probably thought they weren’t cool but you still sing along with it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Your music was played on the radio,...you love Trump, Pence, and Hannity.

Yo, @August_West... as StupendousJuanita is on your payroll, please give him a bigger draw so he can afford better writers. This material isn't even good enough for Reddit, let alone the BY.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Yeah probably thought they weren’t cool but you still sing along with it.

Wow I had never heard the song nor obviously seen the video before. Both great.

Which brings to mind one of the most criminally underrated bands of all time: NRBQ. Big Al was a genius with an embarrassment of riches in terms of musical talent, as that tune shows; but I’ve been amazed at Terry’s ability to keep it going with new guys who are legitimately equal to the task.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Yo, @August_West... as StupendousJuanita is on your payroll, please give him a bigger draw so he can afford better writers. This material isn't even good enough for Reddit, let alone the BY.

He’s gotta work on his branding

Reaction Score
On a serious note, Dion who rocked the 60's, and made us think in 68(I was 13)....had some lean years. In the 2000's he released a couple blues albums, Bronx in Blue, Son of Skip James and Tank Full of Blues, which I urge you to give a listen...he's still got it.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

Back when there was only AM radio and even the biggest media market only had two stations playing rock n roll (WABC & WMCA), I could see this. But once FM was established and you could switch from WNEW to WPLJ to WCBS (before it was oldies) and later WLIR, then 2-3 college stations like WFUV, there was no reason to put up with schmaltzy stuff or anything else you really didn't like. Or top 40, for that matter.

My issue was the damn vans at the Stamford Advocate mostly only had AM radios. So I would spend most of my shift delivering papers avoiding Tony Orlando. Which was harder than you'd think.

And the Carpenters completely ruined "Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft", which is in my top 5 for best use of a song by a TV show.

Thinking about starting a thread on late 60s/70s FM radio, specifically WNEW-FM. It was a great time for radio, maybe the best time ever. DJs with freeform playlists acting as curators did so in a way that Pandora, et.al. just can't duplicate. I got most of my musical education from Scott Muni, Vin Scelsa, Dave Herman, Alison Steele and co.

August_West

Reaction Score

I like the jicks even better than pavement.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Wow I had never heard the song nor obviously seen the video before. Both great.

Which brings to mind one of the most criminally underrated bands of all time: NRBQ. Big Al was a genius with an embarrassment of riches in terms of musical talent, as that tune shows; but I’ve been amazed at Terry’s ability to keep it going with new guys who are legitimately equal to the task.

50 years of crowds who only want to hear "RC Cola and a Moonpie". Have to admire the perserverance.

I feel bad for UConn alumni who came after Shaboo burned down.

August_West

Reaction Score
They're from Portland and they opened for Radiohead. Case closed.
What do I care. They are jammier than pavement. That’s my wheelhouse. Nothing more nothing less.

Malkmus loves Jerry btw. Because he’s not tied into being a hipster and recognizes genius for genius.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Malkmus loves Jerry btw. Because he’s not tied into being a hipster and recognizes genius for genius.

I have no idea what you're arguing.

Ray Davies is a genius. I like Ray Davies. I guess that eliminates me from hipsterdom.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I like the jicks even better than pavement.
I keep trying and hoping but I’m not there yet. But I do like them. Pavement just blew my mind at the time. Oysters and Dry Lancers’? Who thinks of that stuff?

I discovered them at Brighten the Corners and worked my way backwards through their catalogue. Mostly brilliant.

Reaction Score
What do I care. They are jammier than pavement. That’s my wheelhouse. Nothing more nothing less.

storrs really needs to stop caring about trying to be cool. He's like 50 years too old for that.

August_West

Reaction Score
storrs really needs to stop caring about trying to be cool. He's like 50 years too old for that.

I know his ilk. They were a few years ahead of me in the 80’s, too cool for school.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom