OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

Reaction Score
I think it was called Stage West originally.
I know I saw Squeeze there as well as the Ramones. I think maybe Johnny Thunders.

It was always a long ride home to Fairfield. Pretty sure it was a converted bowling alley. Early 80s haze.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I know I saw Squeeze there as well as the Ramones. I think maybe Johnny Thunders.

It was always a long ride home to Fairfield. Pretty sure it was a converted bowling alley. Early 80s haze.
Another place I was at plenty of times, but can't recall for whom. Ramones, NRBQ, Echo & Bunnymen among the shows I saw there. Big open space, standing only, sold beer in cans.

Reaction Score
They didn't have enough good stuff but Living Colour's Vivid album is awesome and Corey Glover had a great voice as lead, Vernon Reid can shred. Still one of my favorite rock songs...

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

I have a piece of the Agora backstage wall in my music room.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
ADub and I have a special relationship that involves many levels of insults and yet at the end of the day we're in the same foxhole.

And yes, I absolutely called Axl a racist and misogynist. Because he is. If you take that as an insult towards you, that's your issue, not mine.

Lol my post had nothing to do with being offended by you insulting Axl. Try reading it again if you're confused.

Reaction Score
That's Kenny Aronoff. He left Mellencamp's band 20 years ago and has been with John Fogerty ever since. He's also become the "go to" drummer for house bands for the Grammys, the Lincoln Center Honors and annual shows like that.
Thank you! I couldn’t remember his name. He was so cool to listen to and loves drumming. I was driving and couldn’t write down his name. But he mentioned the Grammys and stuff. Super cool guy. But he talks about drumming in a way that makes you hear it very differently than you ever have before. Best guest DJ ever on E Street Radio.

Reaction Score
Wow! It's been a long time since I heard that. Wildweeds were local royalty.

Saw Big Al Anderson at the Iinfinity in Norfolk 12/29/17. He still plays and sings great. Speaking with him after the show i told him i saw him for the first time in 1967 at the Harmon Leonard youth center in Cheshire 50 years prior in his wild weed days. Great guy and great muscian. He was playing (i think) custom Roger Sadowski telecaster and sounded terrific.

Reaction Score
I gave you a like because I'm picturing you actually getting paid by your employer while wasting a solid half hour just to get the words and picture exactly to your liking. But you should've gone with someone fatter and grayer. And trilby, not fedora.

Yet I still pity you that you never got to go to the Shaboo. You especially would've loved it out of the entire population of pitiable BYers. Even when the headliners weren't around you had a steady diet of NRBQ, James Cotton, James Montgomery, Pousette-Dart Band, Beaver Brown, Jonathan Edwards (ok, he was for the chicks) and the Shaboo All-Stars. Was pretty much a couldn't miss venue.

In addition to some of the names mentioned at Shaboo, one of the best shows I ever saw there was The David Bromberg Band. Elvin Bishop was a fun show as well.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
In addition to some of the names mentioned at Shaboo, one of the best shows I ever saw there was The David Bromberg Band. Elvin Bishop was a fun show as well.

I was just re-listening to the Vin Scelsa Farewell concert and Bromberg was a big part of that. Never paid much attention to him back then, but he was a huge part of the NYC music scene in 70s/80s.

Reaction Score

Dont forget Kal David and The Fabulous Rhinestones! Kal still plays the (i think) 63 Gibson Firebird.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Anybody that plays at Darryl's House?
How many versions of this song were played on that show? This is my favorite:

Reaction Score
I think it was called Stage West originally.

It was first the Columbia Music Hall, then Finnochio's East, Hard Rock Cafe, Stage West, Agora Ballroom and The Forum.
Best I can tell, it was Stage West from 1978-81, then the Agora until 1989 and only the Forum for a short time until the interior including the supporting posts were vandalized with chain saws in 1990.
Not sure how long it was known as the Hard Rock Cafe in the 70's.

Last edited:

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Shaboo: My favorites were Bonnie Raitt and BB King though I was too out of it to remember one or two.
Wish I caught Bromberg. I've been told I have a dangerous nose.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Pat Benetar is legit.

Never actually saw her live. But once back in 1980, was with a bunch of friends picnicking on the SPAC grounds (no tix, no vantage point) while a Pat Benatar/Billy Squier concert was going on. Could hear both of them loud and clear.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Pat Benetar is legit.
Pat Benetar has a phenomenal voice. If she is not my favorite female singer, she's in the top 3.

Reaction Score
Pat Benetar has a phenomenal voice. If she is not my favorite female singer, she's in the top 3.
Embarrassing Pat Benetar story - back when people just started getting cell phones I called my BF at the time, left him a VM while driving... apparently I didn’t hang up and proceeded to be thrilled that “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” was on the radio. I sang it in full. With feeling. Guitar solos included. He saved and played back repeatedly...

Reaction Score
It was a comment on the fact that your post was about the Shaboo, which is also your handle.
Ah, got ya. Shaboo is one of my favorite memories during my time at UConn. Even the house band was amazing. Matt 'Guitar' Murphy played with them. I wish I could remember the name of the drummer at the time. He was incredible.

Good times, good times.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom