OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
storrs really needs to stop caring about trying to be cool. He's like 50 years too old for that.

That's why it's effortless.

Do or do not. There is no try.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Nope, you’re the guy who always tries too hard to seem unconventional and edgy.

You drinking a PBR in that fedora brah?

You liked my protest song posts though. Non-mainstream black guys not found on radio. So what's that make you? ;)

Saw Gil-Scott Heron at Jorgensen back in mid-70s. Didn't even pull in a full house. Great show though.

Reaction Score
Echo the love for Ray Davies.

Oh and the new Malkmus & the Jicks LP is really freakin good. Looking forward to seeing them next month at the Black Cat in DC.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
You liked my protest song posts though. Non-mainstream black guys not found on radio. So what's that make you? ;)

Saw Gil-Scott Heron at Jorgensen back in mid-70s. Didn't even pull in a full house. Great show though.
It makes me someone who likes those songs, both of which I have heard on the radio frequently (usually on the Loft on Sirius).

I knew of GSH long before I had Sirius though.

I don't need to wear their obscurity as a cred badge in order to like them.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Is that what you were listening to when you had your first period?

A few pages ago, you trashed Axl Rose for being a "racist, mysoginstic ," if I recall your exact words correctly. This is now the 2nd time you've insulted people that like CMW by calling them little girls.

lol

Reaction Score
Springsteen hasn't written anything worth listening to since The Rising. Thankfully Patti let him start doing Rosalita again a few years back because without that and Jungleland, his concerts would be a total bore.

/hottake
Patti should shut up and be glad he lets her do her two stupid songs at each show although I’m grateful for the chance to go to the bathroom and get a beer.
I’ll agree with the nothing great since The Rising (which is an amazing album). However, Badlands, Thunder Road, and Born To Run are unbelievable life. In fact, Born to Run is the penultimate live song.
Throw in some shows where he does some Out In the Streets, Dancing In The Dark, Glory Days, you have yourself a memorable show.

Reaction Score
I disagree While a lot of Springsteen's newer material is not his best work imo, he's still pretty damn great in concert and plays many of his best songs. The band is tight, each show is different, and no one expends more energy on stage than Bruce. Amazing at his age.

Sound very much like you are "one of the critics"
Bruce live is such an experience. I got to see him on his birthday at MetLife stadium (in NJ!) in 2012. He had paid the stadium concession workers to work late that night so people could keep buying drinks bc he was going to do an extra long show. The stadium was evacuated because of bad storms. After it was safe, he still did close to 4 hours. When it was midnight, his mother came out and it got even more lively - he kept saying “did I tell you it’s my birthday???”
One of the most fun and amazing concerts I’ve been to and I’ve been to 100s. Close to 1000.
I will always see a Springsteen show.

Reaction Score
It makes me someone who likes those songs, both of which I have heard on the radio frequently (usually on the Loft on Sirius).

I’d consider myself a music snob (though I don’t care to get into any back and forth on the subject)...Is it just me or has SiriusXM gone more mainstream with all these dedicated stations (albeit temporary): The Eagles? Billy Joel? Lynyrd Skynyrd? I get why the Grateful Dead and the Beatles have their own stations...But I start to struggle with Bruce getting his own, and I laugh at the notion Pearl Jam deserves their own station. Petty’s a little different: he put in hundreds (if not thousands) of hours DJ’ing playlists that are worthy of airplay. He’s passed on into iconic with his, well...passing. Jimmy Buffet I suppose represents a state of mind (summed up best by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band... “And dream Jamaica is a big neon sign...”), so that makes sense...But back to the top: The Eagles? Billy Joel? Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Oh and the opportunity cost of this new #30 station (where they’re presumably going to beat a singular band’s music into your brain non-stop)? That’s the channel the Loft was on.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
huUCGKo.png

Reaction Score
I’d consider myself a music snob (though I don’t care to get into any back and forth on the subject)...Is it just me or has SiriusXM gone more mainstream with all these dedicated stations (albeit temporary): The Eagles? Billy Joel? Lynyrd Skynyrd? I get why the Grateful Dead and the Beatles have their own stations...But I start to struggle with Bruce getting his own, and I laugh at the notion Pearl Jam deserves their own station. Petty’s a little different: he put in hundreds (if not thousands) of hours DJ’ing playlists that are worthy of airplay. He’s passed on into iconic with his, well...passing. Jimmy Buffet I suppose represents a state of mind (summed up best by the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band... “And dream Jamaica is a big neon sign...”), so that makes sense...But back to the top: The Eagles? Billy Joel? Lynyrd Skynyrd?

Oh and the opportunity cost of this new #30 station (where they’re presumably going to beat a singular band’s music into your brain non-stop)? That’s the channel the Loft was on.
Listen to E street radio. They have shows of covers of Bruce songs. They have celebrity DJs who do shows where they get to “Be the Boss” and talk about why certain songs are their favorites. And regular people too. They play whole concerts live. I love the channel.

Reaction Score
Listen to E street radio. They have shows of covers of Bruce songs. They have celebrity DJs who do shows where they get to “Be the Boss” and talk about why certain songs are their favorites. And regular people too. They play whole concerts live. I love the channel.

Yeah. I was probably came down a little hard on 'E Street Radio', and it's for the reasons you mentioned.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I'm actually still in somewhat of a depression about how badly they have screwed up by shuttling the Loft for all these limited run artist-specific stations. I was so happy when I discovered that station because my tastes are very eclectic and I love having similarly-but-differently-minded DJs curate the selections in the moment, talk about the music--and the times--from the heart, and basically do what the great DJs I grew up with used to do. It's a sin that they have relegated Meg Griffin to the Spectrum, which plays the same dozen songs to death every single day. And the limited run, artist-specific stations are the exact opposite of what the Loft was.

The only thing I can surmise is that many if not most of the Loft listeners are, like me, not on social media and therefore not letting their voices be heard. I have been thinking about dropping Sirius now that it looks like the Loft will be forever banished to streaming only, and no longer has Meg's show in the afternoons.

Reaction Score
I'm actually still in somewhat of a depression about how badly they have screwed up by shuttling the Loft for all these limited run artist-specific stations. I was so happy when I discovered that station because my tastes are very eclectic and I love having similarly-but-differently-minded DJs curate the selections in the moment, talk about the music--and the times--from the heart, and basically do what the great DJs I grew up with used to do. It's a sin that they have relegated Meg Griffin to the Spectrum, which plays the same dozen songs to death every single day. And the limited run, artist-specific stations are the exact opposite of what the Loft was.

The only thing I can surmise is that many if not most of the Loft listeners are, like me, not on social media and therefore not letting their voices be heard. I have been thinking about dropping Sirius now that it looks like the Loft will be forever banished to streaming only, and no longer has Meg's show in the afternoons.
I think some of the special audiences are not needed... the Loft was very good but E street radio is also great. Do we need a traffic station for every metro area when we have Waze?
I think there is a way to have content everyone loves without bashing others...

Reaction Score
Yeah. I was probably came down a little hard on 'E Street Radio', and it's for the reasons you mentioned.
Too funny... I loved the show when the drummer from jeez, John Cougar Mellancamp’s band, talked about which songs he loved from a drumming perspective. I am trying to learn to drum which is hard... and he had so many insightful things that he pointed out and made you appreciate why songs you never realized were that complex from a percussion perspective were. So intellectually it’s pretty cool.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I gave you a like because I'm picturing you actually getting paid by your employer while wasting a solid half hour just to get the words and picture exactly to your liking. But you should've gone with someone fatter and grayer. And trilby, not fedora.

Yet I still pity you that you never got to go to the Shaboo. You especially would've loved it out of the entire population of pitiable BYers. Even when the headliners weren't around you had a steady diet of NRBQ, James Cotton, James Montgomery, Pousette-Dart Band, Beaver Brown, Jonathan Edwards (ok, he was for the chicks) and the Shaboo All-Stars. Was pretty much a couldn't miss venue.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
A few pages ago, you trashed Axl Rose for being a "racist, mysoginstic ," if I recall your exact words correctly. This is now the 2nd time you've insulted people that like CMW by calling them little girls.

lol

ADub and I have a special relationship that involves many levels of insults and yet at the end of the day we're in the same foxhole.

And yes, I absolutely called Axl a racist and misogynist. Because he is. If you take that as an insult towards you, that's your issue, not mine.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

I'm old. I don't pay for radio. Against principle.

You'd probably like my vinyl/CD collection.

Reaction Score
Too funny... I loved the show when the drummer from jeez, John Cougar Mellancamp’s band, talked about which songs he loved from a drumming perspective. I am trying to learn to drum which is hard... and he had so many insightful things that he pointed out and made you appreciate why songs you never realized were that complex from a percussion perspective were. So intellectually it’s pretty cool.

That's Kenny Aronoff. He left Mellencamp's band 20 years ago and has been with John Fogerty ever since. He's also become the "go to" drummer for house bands for the Grammys, the Lincoln Center Honors and annual shows like that.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I gave you a like because I'm picturing you actually getting paid by your employer while wasting a solid half hour just to get the words and picture exactly to your liking. But you should've gone with someone fatter and grayer. And trilby, not fedora.

Yet I still pity you that you never got to go to the Shaboo. You especially would've loved it out of the entire population of pitiable BYers. Even when the headliners weren't around you had a steady diet of NRBQ, James Cotton, James Montgomery, Pousette-Dart Band, Beaver Brown, Jonathan Edwards (ok, he was for the chicks) and the Shaboo All-Stars. Was pretty much a couldn't miss venue.
I hit the Shaboo several times while on campus, until it burned down. Although other than NRBQ more than once, the only band I can remember easily was the Buzzcocks.

Reaction Score
You missed the Hard Rock Café(Not THAT HR Café) in West Hartford. Saw Charlie Daniels and Willie Nelson with my dad....also Roy Buchanan and Firefall….Roy was beyond incredible by the way....his playing was like no other. That was for us folks on the other side of Hartford.....

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
You missed the Hard Rock Café(Not THAT HR Café) in West Hartford. Saw Charlie Daniels and Willie Nelson with my dad....also Roy Buchanan and Firefall….Roy was beyond incredible by the way....his playing was like no other. That was for us folks on the other side of Hartford.....

Think I only went to Hartford for a show once while I was in Storrs. November 1978: Tom Waits and Leon Redbone. I can't recall if the building was going under the name Hard Rock or Agora at the time (I thought it was the latter, but I'm told that name wasn't used until 1980 or so).

There was supposed to be a third opening act but they didn't show. So without the opening act the owners apparently decided not to open the doors at the scheduled time, but it was raining out. And as we were getting wet, who else but Waits himself comes through the crowd saying hi to everyone, then starts banging on the door, yelling, "Hey, we're getting wet out here!" until the door opened a couple minutes later.

Reaction Score
ADub and I have a special relationship that involves many levels of insults and yet at the end of the day we're in the same foxhole.

And yes, I absolutely called Axl a racist and misogynist. Because he is. If you take that as an insult towards you, that's your issue, not mine.
You and August are Thunder Buddies, that's so cute...

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Think I only went to Hartford for a show once while I was in Storrs. November 1978: Tom Waits and Leon Redbone. I can't recall if the building was going under the name Hard Rock or Agora at the time (I thought it was the latter, but I'm told that name wasn't used until 1980 or so).

There was supposed to be a third opening act but they didn't show. So without the opening act the owners apparently decided not to open the doors at the scheduled time, but it was raining out. And as we were getting wet, who else but Waits himself comes through the crowd saying hi to everyone, then starts banging on the door, yelling, "Hey, we're getting wet out here!" until the door opened a couple minutes later.
I think it was called Stage West originally.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom