OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Inspired by some Jeff Beck ranting, disdain for Geno's pizza choices and other fun off season topics, I present the lead singer challenge. Just guys (no Ann Wilson) and no opera singers or Bing Crosby types. You're starting a band, you need a lead singer (and have a time machine) who do you grab to front the band and why? Give me your top 5, and a reason for #1. It could be Shane McGowan from the Pogues just for the unique sound, or you could go for amazing vocal range with Sebastian Bach.

Mine:
#1 Robert Plant. He can sound like a 40's crooner, or scream with the best of them. Great combination of voice, presence and style.
#2 Rod Stewart
#3 Meatloaf. (the guy can flat out sing)
#4 Bono
#5 Paul Rogers

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Inspired by some Jeff Beck ranting, disdain for Geno's pizza choices and other fun off season topics, I present the lead singer challenge. Just guys (no Ann Wilson) and no opera singers or Bing Crosby types. You're starting a band, you need a lead singer (and have a time machine) who do you grab to front the band and why? Give me your top 5, and a reason for #1. It could be Shane McGowan from the Pogues just for the unique sound, or you could go for amazing vocal range with Sebastian Bach.

Mine:
#1 Robert Plant. He can sound like a 40's crooner, or scream with the best of them. Great combination of voice, presence and style.
#2 Rod Stewart
#3 Meatloaf. (the guy can flat out sing)
#4 Bono
#5 Paul Rogers

Thats a decent list. But if you're main criteria is "Pipes" you are leaving out someone who is probably better than all:

Steve Perry,

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:

Van Morrison--he has the full package and can sing in almost any style, from a whisper to a scream as they say. And in his prime he was a great front man. Also a stellar musician and conductor.

Rod Stewart--probably the best sheer rock voice ever. His later work greatly diminishes his legacy imo however.

James Brown--perhaps the greatest front man of all time.

Ray Charles--not unlike Van in terms of having the whole package.

Tie: Peter Wolf/Mick Jagger/Chris Robinson/Joe Cocker--all great front men with decent range

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
Geddy Lee
Eddie Vedder
Corey Glover
Neil Finn
Mercury is beyond this thread

Last edited:

UC313

Knucklehead
Reaction Score
Phil Anselmo
Chris Cornell
Seasick Steve

Reaction Score
Robert Plant
Ian Gillan
Steve Marriott
Greg Allman
Stevie Winwood
Eddie Vedder

I forgot about Steve Marriott. Good one. My first concert was Humble Pie and Ramatam at the New Haven Arena 1972.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Thats a decent list. But if you're main criteria is "Pipes" you are leaving out someone who is probably better than all:

Steve Perry,

Agreed. He was good. But not the right sound.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Nobody can top Freddie Mercury for me. His voice is incredible, and he sounds great both high and low.

The rest of my list (no particular order):

Paul McCartney
Billy Joel
David Lee Roth
Robert Plant

Reaction Score
From those of us in the Geriatric crowd:

1) Roy Orbison no explanation required

2) Jay Black of Jay and the Americans had no problem covering 3 full octaves although he was an balloon knot

2) Frankie Valli same as Jay Black but Frankie wasn't an balloon knot

3) John Lennon

4)Roger Daultry

5) Burton Cummings Jr.

A few others: Carl Perkins, Springstien, David Ruffin, Jim Morrison

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Geddy Lee
Eddie Vedder
Corey Glover
Neil Finn
Mercury is beyond this thread
I'll come back to this thread at work but no Top 5 happens without Mercury. I get lost focusing on his voice.

Reaction Score
Chris Rea
Mick Hucknall
Joe Jackson
Fee Waybill
Phil Collins
Jeff Lynne
Elmer Gantry
Lenny Zakatek
Paul Carrack
Robert Cray

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
For sheer stage presence,
David Lee Roth (back in the day)

My wife would agree here. Great front man, and a good voice when young (it is gone now).

The best brownie point scenario I've had as a married man was getting tickets to see Dave solo at Foxwoods (old Fox theater). She's seen him and VH many times, but never before was she standing at the stage (no barrier or security) and had Dave give her the microphone to sing the chorus of Beautiful Girls.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Not quite an isolated vocal track, but close enough. Zander.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Off the top of my head:

Van Morrison--he has the full package and can sing in almost any style, from a whisper to a scream as they say. And in his prime he was a great front man. Also a stellar musician and conductor.

Rod Stewart--probably the best sheer rock voice ever. His later work greatly diminishes his legacy imo however.

James Brown--perhaps the greatest front man of all time.

Ray Charles--not unlike Van in terms of having the whole package.

Tie: Peter Wolf/Mick Jagger/Chris Robinson/Joe Cocker--all great front men with decent range

The only list with no one unpalatable. I'd add Daltrey, maybe Allman, instead of Crocker (preference) and Robinson (ageism).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom