OT: Rock and Roll lead singers | Page 13 | The Boneyard

OT: Rock and Roll lead singers

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
They have to be kidding, right?

Chicago Transit Authority - their first album - was/is my favorite of all their works. It was innovative, even startling, to hear the integration of brass with rock n' roll that wasn't R&B. Many of the songs made statements and were timely. However, I'd really hesitate to call anything on there "timeless". In fact, IMO, it sound very dated compared to say, "You Make Me So Very Happy" (not a song I particularly like, but one that's held up).

And yes, I realize BS&T didn't write it. But they did record it and basically made it "theirs" despite it being covered ad nauseum.

Did I already mention Color My World sucks horsey sauce?

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Actually screw Daltrey he was just baggage.

This is how it’s done.

Reaction Score
Chicago Transit Authority - their first album - was/is my favorite of all their works. It was innovative, even startling, to hear the integration of brass with rock n' roll that wasn't R&B. Many of the songs made statements and were timely. However, I'd really hesitate to call anything on there "timeless". In fact, IMO, it sound very dated compared to say, "You Make Me So Very Happy" (not a song I particularly like, but one that's held up).

And yes, I realize BS&T didn't write it. But they did record it and basically made it "theirs" despite it being covered ad nauseum.

Did I already mention Color My World sucks horsey sauce?
In the words of Dave Mason, we just disagree.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Alone Together is a criminally underrated album. Every track is solid to great.

Dave was the weak link in Traffic.

I have nothing better to do than argue about everything,

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Dave was the weak link in Traffic.

I have nothing better to do than argue about everything,
Better solo career than Jim Capaldi (whose albums I also have...)

Do you wear a fedora? You sound like you might.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score

No, but I used to have two Trilbys.

Dave Mason did songs for the same kind of people who enjoyed Color My World :D

(I actually did like "Only You Know and I Know")

Not relevant, but I'm watching Mellencamp on AXS right now. Always forget about that guy. Lots of great songs there and a solid band. Putting on a good show wherever the hell this was.

August_West

Reaction Score

He is the worst kind of self imposed 80’s alternative hipster.

We know them well.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
He is the worst kind of self imposed 80’s alternative hipster.

We know them well.

You're just pissed you missed out on the 60s. You missed Dylan going electric, the whole San Franciscan scene, Beatles on Ed Sullivan, Woodstock, Hendrix at Monterey... anything that mattered.

True, I went from 60s music to 80s music and skipped over most of the crap from the 70s that comprises "classic rock" today. But not all of. I was simply more judicious than most about what made the cut worth listening to.

But if I'm the worst kind of 80s alternative hipster, that implies there are degrees. Btw, loved 80s music probably more than you love Arby's.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Was that a charity benefit?

Get your butt down to pst. I’m horrible remembering to tell you that stuff but yeah hitting stage in 5

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I love Roger and appreciate his performances even today. But his range has been gone for decades. I dont think he even has a full octave left. And I can sympathize with that totally. It happens.

This is how you do it at age 75...

Donnie is a local treasure.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Dave Mason...for one thing he inspired Jimi's version of All Along the Watchtower, so much he later recorded it. I played the heck out of "It's like you never left"....I didn't know later in life I would have to apologize for it.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Mason wasn't so much bad, he was just fated to be the commercial influence on a great band.
I think Capaldi was meant to be the glue guy not a solo act.

Reaction Score
May I suggest a hearing check up?

Roger, good as he was in the 60s/70s, hasn't nailed a high note or his signature scream on WGFA in 30 years.
Have you seen him live in the past 20? I have. He was amazing. I saw him in 2003 and he was unreal. Robert Plant opened for him.

Reaction Score
I'll go with Van. Unique, soulful, versatile.
Love Joe Cocker for most of the same reason.
Can't stand what Rod Stewart did to his career, and I can't even think of him.
Springsteen may be a boring pick but he is the leader of the uber rock band and who is better live?

Love Ray Charles and Louis Armstrong but this is the wrong category for them. Janis Joplin with a sex change?
Springsteen is not boring remotely. And he is amazing live. That’s the key.

Reaction Score
Should have included Daltrey in my original list, otherwise you're spot on if you also include Mick.
I should have included Mick. I love the Stones. Great live and great magnetism.

Reaction Score
No, because I think the intent was to limit this to guys who mostly just sing and have a few moves like Jagger, Stewart, etc.

Nobody mentioned David Gilmour either. And while I'm not going to put him up there as a front man, I'm just going to post this because at 70, unlike pretty much every other name mentioned here (including Bruce), he was still writing relevant music and actually improving his game. This tune has his best solo since Comfortably Numb and is probably the only song that actually tells a story about what it's like to kill someone remotely by drone strike. The solo has more emotion in it than anything I've heard in the past decade or two.

How is Springsteen NOT still writing relevant music now??? Well, he isn’t 70... he’s mid-60s and he’s taking a break bc he’s doing his Broadway show. But he’s still writing a new solid album every few years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom