OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao | Page 8 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs Pacquiao

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm a cynic. I think they are making this stuff up to use it as the storyline to try and fleece us out of another $99 next year. I'm not buying. The story or the rematch on PPV.
I hear you.

Reaction Score
He didn't get off, Lampley did. Thirty-five is young to me. So, what do you want to happen? You want to condemn him for the rest of his life? If the people he assaulted have forgiven him and moved on, why can't everybody else? Jealousy?

First off, you continue to move the goalposts here. Secondly, I root for Floyd pretty much every time he fights, I rooted for him against Manny. I pay for his fights. Comparing the personal lives of athletes is a dangerous game to play, which is why I think Deadspin and others are ridiculous with their faux moral superiority.

But if you don't think his past is at least somewhat representative of his character as a person, you're crazy. You've tried to make him a victim in all this with your "young black man" diatribe.

Reaction Score
First off, you continue to move the goalposts here. Secondly, I root for Floyd pretty much every time he fights, I rooted for him against Manny. I pay for his fights. Comparing the personal lives of athletes is a dangerous game to play, which is why I think Deadspin and others are ridiculous with their faux moral superiority.

But if you don't think his past is at least somewhat representative of his character as a person, you're crazy. You've tried to make him a victim in all this with your "young black man" diatribe.
So what! If you don't think people can change in spite of their past, then you are crazy. It's called growing up, learning from your mistakes. IMHO, he is a victim somewhat. You don't have to let your past, define your future. People are jealous, of Floyd, it's like people look for any negative thing to try to ridicule the man. Let he who has never sinned, cast the first stone. Look at others, who get away with stuff because they're not Floyd. You just don't get it. There are a lot of people who abuse women everyday, and get away with it. It's called mental abuse, which can be more damaging than the physical abuse. Gotta run for now, I'll check back later.

Reaction Score
I don't think he "whupped" Bernard or James. Montel is not even worth mentioning. He sure learned his lesson by moving up didn't he? You only move up if you can carry the weight and compete against heavier fighters. To do so without being able to do that is just foolish.. Move up in weight class just to prove a point and get knocked out in a way that ruins not only your career, but your legacy as well.
They were virtual shutouts on the scorecards. Did either guy win a round? Roy ' s problem was he hung around too long and he lost his legs after moving up to heavyweight and trying to come back down to light heavy. Roy moved up to make history. Simultaneously held the light heavy and heavyweight titles. At his peak, I don't think I've ever seen a more a talented all around fighter. Amazing reflexes.

Reaction Score
The facts are that one man was convicted and sent to prison and the other was not even charged.

Setting your straw man aside, a reasonable person would see a chasm in the difference between the two.
You lost me at "facts."

-- The Boneyard

Reaction Score
They were virtual shutouts on the scorecards. Did either guy win a round? Roy ' s problem was he hung around too long and he lost his legs after moving up to heavyweight and trying to come back down to light heavy. Roy moved up to make history. Simultaneously held the light heavy and heavyweight titles. At his peak, I don't think I've ever seen a more a talented all around fighter. Amazing reflexes.
Sugar Ray Robinson.... Boxers with glass jaws, imho, are not great.

Reaction Score
I think Archie Moore won both, not sure though. Evander Holyfield won both titles. Would you say that Roy was better better than either of those guys? As a middle weight would you put him up there with Robinson, Fulmer or Hagler?

Reaction Score
I think Archie Moore won both, not sure though. Evander Holyfield won both titles. Would you say that Roy was better better than either of those guys? As a middle weight would you put him up there with Robinson, Fulmer or Hagler?
Evander was a cruiser-weight not as a light heavy
Archie Moore was KOed by Rocky Marciano then lost to Floyd Patterson
when The Rock retired.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Others beaten into bloody pulps…

…how about…

Sometimes When We Touch?

Reaction Score
Agree that Pacquiao's lack of aggression was a problem. You can attribute it to carryover from the Marquez knockout, or getting caught by Mayweather's straight right hand, but I thought Manny had opportunities where he had cut off the ring well but didn't attack at all when given the opportunity.

Talking with someone today who is/was a big Pernell Whitaker fan back in the day and thinks Pernell could beat Mayweather. Not sure about that, but I suspect that the two of them would likely just step into the ring and dodge each other for 12 rounds.
That would be one ugly fight or beatiful display of boxing depending on your perspective.

Reaction Score
Evander was a cruiser-weight not as a light heavy
Archie Moore was KOed by Rocky Marciano then lost to Floyd Patterson
when The Rock retired.
Evander Holyfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evander_Holyfield
After winning the bronze medal in the Light Heavyweight division at the 1984 Summer Olympics, Holyfield debuted as a professional at the age of 21. Holyfield moved to the cruiserweight division in 1985 and won his first title the following year, when he defeated Dwight Muhammad Qawi for the WBA Cruiserweight belt.

Archie Moore was an old shot fighter when he fought Marciano, Patterson and Ali.

Reaction Score
Evander Holyfield - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evander_Holyfield
After winning the bronze medal in the Light Heavyweight division at the 1984 Summer Olympics, Holyfield debuted as a professional at the age of 21. Holyfield moved to the cruiserweight division in 1985 and won his first title the following year, when he defeated Dwight Muhammad Qawi for the WBA Cruiserweight belt.

Archie Moore was an old shot fighter when he fought Marciano, Patterson and Ali.

So, you're conceding the point, then? Holyfield won his first title as a cruiserweight. He never won the light heavyweight title.

Reaction Score
Phillyconn said:
So what! If you don't think people can change in spite of their past, then you are crazy. It's called growing up, learning from your mistakes. IMHO, he is a victim somewhat. You don't have to let your past, define your future. People are jealous, of Floyd, it's like people look for any negative thing to try to ridicule the man. Let he who has never sinned, cast the first stone. Look at others, who get away with stuff because they're not Floyd. You just don't get it. There are a lot of people who abuse women everyday, and get away with it. It's called mental abuse, which can be more damaging than the physical abuse. Gotta run for now, I'll check back later.

You should be embarrassed for this post. Either you don't know the first thing about his track record or you're just a blind fan boy, but either way the "Floyd is the victim" thing is straight up embarrassing.

Reaction Score
Roy was better than Fullmer for sure and probably Hagler but that would have been an interesting fight.
Their are a bunch of great Middleweight and supermiddleweight boxers in history.
One of the richest Divisions traditional.
Did anyone ever see Carlos Monzon fight.
He held the title for Seven years. Considered by many right near Sugar Ray in the Pantheon of Middleweight greats. But there are so many good ones.
In the 1920-60's boxing in the U.S. was pretty much the only sport for a poor kid to accumulate any wealth. The talent pool was huge.

Reaction Score
Sugar Ray Robinson.... Boxers with glass jaws, imho, are not great.
I never saw the real Sugar Ray, if you did, kudos to you. Again, Roy didn't show a glass jaw till his legs abandoned him following the move up to heavy and back down to light heavy. He should have run off into the sunset after the heavyweight title, but for reasons only known to him he continues to fight today. Roy was greatness in the ring.

Reaction Score
I think one of the Spinks brothers did it, maybe Michael. Heavyweights were much smaller during the eras you brought up.

I won't speak to fighters I didn't see during their time. Of the old fighters who I've only seen highlights and old fights, Joe Louis to me was the most impressive, while Sugar Ray was probably second.

Reaction Score
So, you're conceding the point, then? Holyfield won his first title as a cruiserweight. He never won the light heavyweight title.
I loved Quwi . I think he was about 5'6 or 5'7
He was a tough little guy . He gave Evander all he could handle.
The Knock that Archie was an old man when he lost to Rocky and Floyd is ridicules
He just hit his stride in his late thirties winning the Iightheavy title for the first time
In 1954
it was a tough division post war ,he was one of many in the crowd.
He then was knocked out by Rocky and Floyd in 1955 ,one might say at the peak of his career.
He retained the light heavyweight belt until stripped in the sixties
He fought Ali in 1963 yes he was over the hill when he fought Ali
By the way the Great Ezzard Charles although he actually never won the light heavyweight title is considered by Ring the greatest light heavy of all time he campaigned for years at that weight but the politics of Boxing kept him from winning it. He got his title shot as a heavy weight.
Moore was beaten by Charles a couple of times. At 175
Heavyweights of that era were typically 185-200lbs not a stretch for a 175 pounder.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It's been a long time since anyone got on Big Ben, he's been forgiven, I wonder why.
Stop throwing dirt on Mayweather because he's a young black man, who happens to one of the all time greats, while being filthy rich and one who speaks his mind. Pretty obvious why certain people throw so much dirt on Mayweather, showing your true colors. What rock have I been under? The one that's about to come crashing down on your head.....Lol

So I don't like a guy who hits women and it must be because I'm a racist? F#$k you you race-baiting piece of garbage. If you want to live in a dream world where Mayweather is a saint and everyone who hates him is a racist, feel free. Just know that nobody is going to take you seriously.

Reaction Score
So I don't like a guy who hits women and it must be because I'm a racist? F#$k you you race-baiting piece of garbage. If you want to live in a dream world where Mayweather is a saint and everyone who hates him is a racist, feel free. Just know that nobody is going to take you seriously.
No you choose which guys that have hit women that you don't like. Someone mentioned Lampley, did you have anything to say? No, do you hate him too?
I'm not saying he's a saint either, I am saying that everybody deserves a second chance, or else we would all be condemned. I'll bet that you don't give a duckk about those women, you just use that as an excuse to hate Floyd but are too much of a coward to admit it. Funny how you get so angry, i guess the truth hurts.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
No you choose which guys that have hit women that you don't like. Someone mentioned Lampley, did you have anything to say? No, do you hate him too?
I'm not saying he's a saint either, I am saying that everybody deserves a second chance, or else we would all be condemned. I'll bet that you don't give a duckk about those women, you just use that as an excuse to hate Floyd but are too much of a coward to admit it. Funny how you get so angry, i guess the truth hurts.

I don't like Big Ben, and I don't even know who Jim Lampley is. If he beat a woman then I'm sure I wouldn't like him either.

Anyway, it's pretty clear you're the racist here. You're going on ignore, have fun propping up this woman-beating loser.

Reaction Score

This is clownish. It would be one thing if he had expressed any remorse whatsoever. This is not worth spending much time on, but you sound really, really foolish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom