OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
Youd be surprised how little people know about boxing. I think its because most people that are boxing fans dont actually know the sport. They see two guys punching it out till one falls or one guy running while the other guy chases him around. For instance youve got all these people going on about Conor/Floyd and saying how Conor has a "punchers chance" or "Conors has zero chance and Floyds going to win easily" but they cant tell you why thats the case other than "Floyds 49-0 and Conor has never fought a professional boxing match. The reason why Conor has ZERO chance at beating floyd is simple and something absolutely nobody is talking about and that is FOOTWORK. Plain and simple. Floyd can move around the ring and around Conor much faster than Conor can move around or to catch up to Floyd. I watched Conors sparring and his footwork is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! He crosses his feet, can only punch when his feet are set and has no idea how to cut off the ring. This is all going to get him killed pretty quickly unless Floyd decides to carry him a few rounds before putting him away.
People that are saying Conor has the advantage in power are delusional. Ask any actual mma guys and they will tell you that boxers generate more power in their punches because their technique is far superior. In fact if you go on you tube Joe Rogan and a couple mma fighters are discussing this very subject and say the same. Floyd can absolutely knock Conor out especially if he feels confident enough to feel that he can tee off without having to worry about the counter which goes back to my original point. Floyds feet! Hes going to be able to get in throw what he wants and back out before Conor can even get in position to fire back. Floyd is going to give him angles that hes just not going to be able to deal with. I think Floyd wins by KO inside of 4 rounds and thats being generous. If Floyd sees McG has a good chin all he has to do is unload some body punches and the fight will be over pretty quickly. Just look at what happened this past weekend. Andre Ward isnt a big puncher yet he was able to stop a bigger iron jawed opponent by breaking his body down for 8 rounds. Floyd can do this in half the time if he needs too.

There are a lot of reasons Conor has no chance, not just footwork. The incredible hand speed difference, counter-punching, Floyd's impenetrable d, boxing knowledge etc. goes on and on.

Floyd has all of these advantages against top competition too. He's made some of the top p4p guys looks like amateurs in the ring. I have no idea how anyone thinks an actual amateur has a shot against him.

Reaction Score
There are a lot of reasons Conor has no chance, not just footwork. The incredible hand speed difference, counter-punching, Floyd's impenetrable d, boxing knowledge etc. goes on and on.

Floyd has all of these advantages against top competition too. He's made some of the top p4p guys looks like amateurs in the ring. I have no idea how anyone thinks an actual amateur has a shot against him.
Yes i know its not the only reason but it is going to prove to be the biggest.

Reaction Score

The only shot IMO, is because Floyd is 40, and when boxers lose it goes almost instantaneously.

If Floyd is half of his old self it's an easy win.

Reaction Score
The only shot IMO, is because Floyd is 40, and when boxers lose it goes almost instantaneously.

If Floyd is half of his old self it's an easy win.

That, and its boxing, so there is always a chance.

McGregor actually impressed me in a 5 min sparring video I saw of him. His technique is all messed up, but his speed is a lot quicker than I thought and his left hook looks legit. He threw a few nice combos together too.

But again, I don't think he has any chance of landing anything on Floyd, and Floyd will tear him apart with the way Conor was pursing his partner when he went on the attack.

One thing that can be said about Floyd's age is the lack of punishment hes taken in his career. His d has been so good that he rarely gets hit clean with a hard power shot. Like 1 or 2 a fight at best. He may be 40, but hes basically taken the punishment of a 25 year old fighter.

Also, his conditioning is next level. Hes obv lost a step, but I don't think we are going to see an instantaneously decline from Floyd any time soon.

Reaction Score
I've never put money on a fight and I'm not a big gambler, but Money at -150 to ko/tko looks like crazy good odds right?

Even if McGregor surprises and his boxing skills are good enough to actually hang in there with Floyd, I just don't see how he is going to have the stamina to go 12 rounds. He will be absolutely gassed by the 6th round. 8th at worst.

I don't know if Floyd can knock him out, but I can easily see a stoppage where McG camp throws in the towel due exhaustion/frustration/embarrassment or a tko from Floyd closing both his eyes from a tidal wave of pull counter straight rights.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a good amount on that. Am i nuts? anyone here have any money on this fight/ have any experience betting on fights?

Reaction Score
That, and its boxing, so there is always a chance.

McGregor actually impressed me in a 5 min sparring video I saw of him. His technique is all messed up, but his speed is a lot quicker than I thought and his left hook looks legit. He threw a few nice combos together too.

But again, I don't think he has any chance of landing anything on Floyd, and Floyd will tear him apart with the way Conor was pursing his partner when he went on the attack.

One thing that can be said about Floyd's age is the lack of punishment hes taken in his career. His d has been so good that he rarely gets hit clean with a hard power shot. Like 1 or 2 a fight at best. He may be 40, but hes basically taken the punishment of a 25 year old fighter.

Also, his conditioning is next level. Hes obv lost a step, but I don't think we are going to see an instantaneously decline from Floyd any time soon.
As a southpaw, he doesn't really throw a left hook, he throws a left cross/straight left. His boxing is top notch for an mma fighter. It's why undresses those guys in standup. When I watched the extended clip of him boxing Van Heerden, to me, you really see a huge gap in his boxing vs a world class boxer. It's not even close IMO. No way in hell he can make that gap up in a couple of months.

He can crack with that straight left, no doubt but the rest of his punches look like slaps. So Floyd has to take away 1 weapon. The left cross. If Floyd has to take away one weapon to render an opponent useless, that is "easy work" for him. Unless Floyd shows up and is an old, washed up fighter, it's easy money.

Reaction Score
This looks like the Mt could snap him like a carrot. He was kid gloving him.
Don't kid yourself. A professional fighter could render a guy like that senseless with minimal effort. A few years back, an mma fighter flattened a university of Texas linebacker who slapped a woman. Straight KO.

Reaction Score
Don't kid yourself. A professional fighter could render a guy like that senseless with minimal effort. A few years back, an mma fighter flattened a university of Texas linebacker who slapped a woman. Straight KO.

Royce Gracie maybe. Not sure McGregor has those moves. Nothing was shown in that clip. Not kidding myself, I'd bet the Mt. This isn't Snatch.

Reaction Score
I've never put money on a fight and I'm not a big gambler, but Money at -150 to ko/tko looks like crazy good odds right?

My site has it at -200. I agree its a good bet (great bet at -150), I dont see this going 12. McGregor is +550 for me ko/tko/dq if you feel like hedging by betting against a decision

Reaction Score
Yes i know its not the only reason but it is going to prove to be the biggest.

It's honestly not though. Go back and watch Floyd's previous 3 or so fights, and then go watch pretty much any other Floyd fight. There's a huge difference in the amount that Floyd is actually moving around in the ring.

Reaction Score
I think it's interesting hearing what Freddie Roach, Shawn Porter and Paulie Maligagnni have said the last day. All 3 were pretty critical but now Paulie says he thinks Mayweather is underestimating McGregor and he needs his game face on because MG's intensity could bridge the skill gap. Shawn Porter said he looks a lot better and Roach says he might be able to do something in the fight whereas before he thought he had no chance. As the fight gets closer more and more people who gave Conor 0 shot are starting to hedge their opinions. Not to mention, Larry Holmes predicts McGregor is going to win.

Reaction Score
this fight was an easy decision for McGregor, no one thinks he can win and he gets a ton of money. If he hangs in for a few rounds and goes down, no one is going to be surprised.

I just can't believe so many people have been suckered into paying for this staged fight. Your better off watching WWF, its probably more realistic.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
The better question is what are the reasons Connor will win. Could only be via knockout, so:

1. Luck
2. Roundhouse kick to the temple. Followed by DQ.

Every other reason is Floyd.

Reaction Score
I just can't believe so many people have been suckered into paying for this staged fight. Your better off watching WWF, its probably more realistic.

I'll either just go somewhere that has the fight or worst case buy a stream, but even if the outcome isn't in doubt it's still a spectacle worth watching.

Plus MMA fans are generally incredibly stupid and think Conor is going to win.

Reaction Score
If you're betting a few bucks put it on McGregor and who cares. If your betting the house it's Mayweather every time.

Reaction Score
So, I think it's always crazy to say "no chance." There's always a chance. I think it's fair to say, "there's virtually no chance." If it was certain, they wouldn't need to play.

In any event, I don't care who wins - it's silly - but part of me wants CM to win just to see the comments from the ardent boxing fans here. If that happens - as unlikely as it seems - are you going to come back on here and be impressed, or is it going to just be a bunch of posts making excuses? Floyd lost it. Floyd didn't look right. CM got lucky.? Any chance anybody would come on here and just say, "wow, CM was better than I thought" or "wow, the MMA guy's skills really translated well."

Too many people taking it all to personally. I just want to be entertained. I'm already entertained. :)

Reaction Score
this fight was an easy decision for McGregor, no one thinks he can win and he gets a ton of money. If he hangs in for a few rounds and goes down, no one is going to be surprised.

There is NO chance that McGregor gets knocked out in this fight! This fight ends either with a Mayweather decision after utterly embarrassing McGregor the entire fight or a McGregor KO if by some miracle Mayweather walks into that "left hand of God".

Reaction Score

Even if McGregor surprises and his boxing skills are good enough to actually hang in there with Floyd, I just don't see how he is going to have the stamina to go 12 rounds. He will be absolutely gassed by the 6th round. 8th at worst.

I don't know if Floyd can knock him out, but I can easily see a stoppage where McG camp throws in the towel due exhaustion/frustration/embarrassment or a tko from Floyd closing both his eyes from a tidal wave of pull counter straight rights.

I'm seriously thinking about putting a good amount on that. Am i nuts? anyone here have any money on this fight/ have any experience betting on fights?

McGregor's cardio is off the charts! I would be absolutely shocked if this fight didn't go the distance. Obviously I think Mayweather wins a relatively easy fight but I don't think he will KO/TKO McGregor. Boxing 3 minute rounds is a cake walk for an MMA fighter that is used to fighting 5 minute rounds and is expending far more energy protecting against take downs, chokes, and various other submission attempts.

Reaction Score
McGregor's cardio is off the charts! I would be absolutely shocked if this fight didn't go the distance. Obviously I think Mayweather wins a relatively easy fight but I don't think he will KO/TKO McGregor. Boxing 3 minute rounds is a cake walk for an MMA fighter that is used to fighting 5 minute rounds and is expending far more energy protecting against take downs, chokes, and various other submission attempts.

I don't think you realize how much cardio there is in boxing. Boxers are some of the best.athletes in the world.

Reaction Score
If you're betting a few bucks put it on McGregor and who cares. If your betting the house it's Mayweather every time.

Absolutely, Smart Money betting is on Mayweather and its not close.

Reaction Score
I don't think you realize how much cardio there is in boxing. Boxers are some of the best.athletes in the world.

MMA fighters aren't? Now imagine doing everything a boxer does and then try doing it for 2 more minutes per round, with a guy hanging off you, and trying to stop you from breathing by covering your mouth with his gloves or putting his forearm across your throat.

Reaction Score
MMA fighters aren't? Now imagine doing everything a boxer does and then try doing it for 2 more minutes per round, with a guy hanging off you, and trying to stop you from breathing by covering your mouth with his gloves or putting his forearm across your throat.

Floyd can go 12 rounds standing on his head, talking the entire time, and not be winded. I don't know that McGregor can do that. I'm not sure cardio is where McGregor has any sort of advantage.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom