OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
Sadly MMA does NOT = boxing prowess and McG is not a pure boxer and he is going against possibly the best counter punch in the history of boxing, as well as how he times his punches. This will be competitive for a single round, somewhat interesting for another 1 or 2 and then most likely a demolition shortly after. I'd be shocked if this goes to even a 5th round.

MMA and boxing are two totally different sports.
Whatever interest I had in MMA has abated, it seems every hyped fight my friends get me to watch turns out to be just two really bad boxers fighting each other.

Reaction Score
The legions of suckers will be spending bank renting this to watch Mayweather run away from McGregor all night and still win. Can't wait.

I simply love how BSPN keeps going on and on about "this is the fight that the fans want to see. The only people that arent interested are the hardcore fans"
Who are these fans? Absolutely nobody i know is interested in seeing this fight other than it just being a sideshow. Its like BSPN is generating the interest in this fight. If they keep repeating how everyone wants this fight people will start believing it and of course the sheep mentality kicks in and everyone feels like its the cool thing to do.
I have zero interest in this "fight" and it makes me sick to my stomach that a real fight going on this weekend between Kovalev and Ward has been swept under the rug and isnt even an after thought.

Reaction Score
I simply love how BSPN keeps going on and on about "this is the fight that the fans want to see. The only people that arent interested are the hardcore fans"
Who are these fans? Absolutely nobody i know is interested in seeing this fight other than it just being a sideshow. Its like BSPN is generating the interest in this fight. If they keep repeating how everyone wants this fight people will start believing it and of course the sheep mentality kicks in and everyone feels like its the cool thing to do.
I have zero interest in this "fight" and it makes me sick to my stomach that a real fight going on this weekend between Kovalev and Ward has been swept under the rug and isnt even an after thought.
It's kind of shortsighted to say that people don't wanna see this fight. These are the two most popular faces in competitive fighting. This will probably have about as many, if not more viewers than the Mayweather v. Pacquiao fight.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Because your experience mirrors the experience for everyone else...

Reaction Score
It will be a spectacle.. But likely not very competitive. Mayweather is 49-0, beaten the likes of Mosely, Judah, Delahoya, Cotto, Canelo, Corrales, Marquez, Pac, etc.

Mcgregor is 0-0, as a boxer watch

Edit that's the one I was looking for

Last edited:

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
What some people fail to remember is that Floyd is one of the top boxers ever. He's beaten everyone he's fought. He's now facing a guy who isn't even a boxer. This should be a relatively quick fight.

Reaction Score
Why would Floyd need to run? He could end the fight literally any time he wants.

Your "take" leaves out the fact that the technical prowess among even the best punchers in MMA is stupidly far below the level of any top boxer. Floyd doesn't KO other professional boxers primarily due to the style he fights, he doesn't have GGG level 1 punch power but he has better power than his KO ratio would indicate. Floyd will be landing clean shots at will and probably scores a knockdown or 2 just from Conor having sub par footwork (even if he's not badly hurt).

That being said I'm still going to watch. Wouldn't consider spending a dime to watch though.
He runs because that's his style. He's going to move around and counter punch. And no, he can't end it any time he wants because your "take" leaves out the fact that it is much easier to knock someone out with the smaller MMA gloves. Without having to worry about sprawling and defending kicks, Conor will be able to defend himself better. I still expect him to get hit... a lot... and lose very badly. But if he can take clean shots from Nate Diaz with MMA gloves, then he can take clean shots from Mayweather with boxing gloves.

You're right about one thing. McGregor could get knocked down from being off balance. He won't get knocked out.

Volume is the only thing that will hurt Conor. He won't win a round.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He runs because that's his style. He's going to move around and counter punch. And no, he can't end it any time he wants because your "take" leaves out the fact that it is much easier to knock someone out with the smaller MMA gloves. Without having to worry about sprawling and defending kicks, Conor will be able to defend himself better. I still expect him to get hit... a lot... and lose very badly. But if he can take clean shots from Nate Diaz with MMA gloves, then he can take clean shots from Mayweather with boxing gloves.

You're right about one thing. McGregor could get knocked down from being off balance. He won't get knocked out.

What you discount is Nate Diaz is a horrible boxer compared to Floyd...

Reaction Score

Nate Diaz could use cement gloves Antonio Margarito style and not be as good a puncher as Floyd. Thanks for letting me know you watch 0 boxing.

Reaction Score
What you discount is Nate Diaz is a horrible boxer compared to Floyd...

Nate Diaz could use cement gloves Antonio Margarito style and not be as good a puncher as Floyd. Thanks for letting me know you watch 0 boxing.

Never said he was as good a boxer or as technically gifted a puncher. He's not, not even close. He's a decent striker by MMA standards (FAR below boxing standards) and that's because he uses his jab effectively thanks to his long arms. His BJJ is far better than his boxing. But He's 20 pounds heavier than Mayweather.

Neither of you have even addressed the gloves, which is the main point. Spread the force of the punch out over the larger boxing gloves, take away 20 pounds, and add the fact that it's easier to block/deflect punches with larger gloves, and yeah, I think Conor will be able to take a punch from Mayweather. Plenty of guys have been tagged by him repeatedly without being knocked out.

Thanks for letting me know you watch 0 MMA, and prefer to create strawmen arguments like "Nate Diaz isn't as good at boxing as Floyd Mayweather". Yeah, no sh|t, nobody in the world is.

Reaction Score
Dumbest thing ever. Boxing and MMA have two things in common: breathing, and punching.

This would be like Tom Brady racing Hussein Bolt on the logic that both football and sprinting involve breathing and running.

It will go more than one round because of Floyd's style but against anyone else, this doesn't go more than one.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Van Heerden Gives McGregor No Shot To Beat Mayweather - Boxing News

I see it being a circus/entertainment event more than a boxing match. There will be more excitement in the lead up to the fight, then the actual fight. Floyd will dance his way to a unanimous decision winning every round. I'm not a Floyd fan, but the guy is undefeated for a reason and tough to hit.

And as someone said watch Kovalev vs Ward 2 (this Saturday), and GGG vs Canelo in September for real fights.

Reaction Score
Dumbest thing ever. Boxing and MMA have two things in common: breathing, and punching.

This would be like Tom Brady racing Hussein Bolt on the logic that both football and sprinting involve breathing and running.

It will go more than one round because of Floyd's style but against anyone else, this doesn't go more than one.
It's such a stupid money grab marketing gimmick and everyone will fall for it. Two entirely different sports, a boxer will kill a MMA guy in a boxing ring and an MMA guy will kill a boxer in the MMA ring.

Reaction Score

Agree with you but Usain Bolt.

Reaction Score
I expect a Floyd Tko. Unless Floyd turns old overnight, which could happen, I have hard time seeing McGregor landing any meaningful shots on him. That will frustrate him and I expect Floyd to catch him like he caught Hatton.

Reaction Score
Never said he was as good a boxer or as technically gifted a puncher. He's not, not even close. He's a decent striker by MMA standards (FAR below boxing standards) and that's because he uses his jab effectively thanks to his long arms. His BJJ is far better than his boxing. But He's 20 pounds heavier than Mayweather.

Neither of you have even addressed the gloves, which is the main point. Spread the force of the punch out over the larger boxing gloves, take away 20 pounds, and add the fact that it's easier to block/deflect punches with larger gloves, and yeah, I think Conor will be able to take a punch from Mayweather. Plenty of guys have been tagged by him repeatedly without being knocked out.

Thanks for letting me know you watch 0 MMA, and prefer to create strawmen arguments like "Nate Diaz isn't as good at boxing as Floyd Mayweather". Yeah, no sh|t, nobody in the world is.

I have 0 idea why you're quoting me with the notion that I ever compared the 2 as technical boxers. I pointed out the actual punching ability of Floyd compared to Nate. Timing, leverage, accuracy, stuff like that. The cement gloves reference I made was to say that the size of the gloves don't matter nearly as much as who's throwing the punch.

Reaction Score
I do think Floyd/Haymon/whoever else is involved on the boxing promotion side would be smart to put together a killer fight or 2 on the undercard and try to get guys like Thurman or Errol Spence some big exposure.

Reaction Score
So the fact that Nate Diaz is 20 pounds heavier than Floyd doesn't matter. Weight classes don't matter.

And "timing, leverage, accuracy and stuff like that" don't have anything to with the technical aspects of throwing a punch.

Thanks for that interesting "take" from a boxing aficionado.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
McGregor would not make it back to his corner after the opening bell.

Mayweather might let him hang around for a while.

Professional sports are nothing but entertainment. If nothing else, this has some entertainment value.

I suspect that will end right after the fight starts when one guy doesn't have a prayer of hitting the other guy and the other guy lands every single punch he throws. I expect McGregor to simply collapse in exhaustion.

I agree, it's about entertainment. For me, the most entertaining part of boxing is watching something get knocked duck out. Mike Tyson's 'less than 1 minute' fights were awesome. Pac would take McGregor's head off. And it would be great.

This fight will probably be boring, unless Floyd decides to unleash. Dunno if he will or not.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So the fact that Nate Diaz is 20 pounds heavier than Floyd doesn't matter. Weight classes don't matter.

And "timing, leverage, accuracy and stuff like that" don't have anything to with the technical aspects of throwing a punch.

Thanks for that interesting "take" from a boxing aficionado.

The weight difference would matter if we were comparing 2 equally skilled strikers. That is not the case here.

Obviously those are the technical aspects of throwing a punch. Being a better boxer is more encompassing than striking proficiency. Floyd has one of the best counter straight right hands in the history of professional fighting, Nate Diaz mostly just flails around.

Thanks for making it clear that you just discovered sarcasm though.

Reaction Score
I agree, it's about entertainment. For me, the most entertaining part of boxing is watching something get knocked @#$ out. Mike Tyson's 'less than 1 minute' fights were awesome. Pac would take McGregor's head off. And it would be great.

This fight will probably be boring, unless Floyd decides to unleash. Dunno if he will or not.

Gotta figure some people would criticize Floyd for not being able to (T)KO McGregor. Floyd seems like he might have just a little bit of an ego, so not sure he lets that happen.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I do think Floyd/Haymon/whoever else is involved on the boxing promotion side would be smart to put together a killer fight or 2 on the undercard and try to get guys like Thurman or Errol Spence some big exposure.

That's a must. There's a huge chance the main event is going to be a disaster.

There's enough money flying around on this thing to put together at least one "A" undercard fight

Reaction Score
MMA fans seem to think this is great.
Boxing fans are split into two camps. One camp seems to think it will be fun watching a boxer pick apart McG. The other seems to think this is an intolerable tincture in the purity of boxing.
Bwahahah. The purity of boxing. Boxing has the reputation of a 7th avenue crack whore.
I've also heard people say that this will be bad for boxing, which is making some sort of a revival. Bwahahah.

Jesus people, calm down and have some fun. This is carnival time. Grab some popcorn, enjoy the personalities, come for the scene, not the fight.

I don't know how any MMA fan or boxing fan doesn't watch. I mean, it's got "disaster" written all over it. It'll definitely go at least a few rounds, right? No way in hell Floyd is going to be aggressive in the early rounds and risk getting caught. It should be great fun.

Will have some positive impact on MMA, as non-MMA people get some McG exposure.
Will have much more positive impact on boxing - a real chance to pick up some of the young audience that favors MMA. They absolutely should have a great undercard. If they were on their games, they would have a mixed boxing/MMA card and have it run all day. Put together 12 fights, with a couple of good headliners before the main event.

It should be great fun. If you don't think so, lighten up, Francis.

Reaction Score
@MadDogRevival The press conferences will be far more entertaining than the real fight. I don't know how Conor will approach this fight, but he tends to be a counter puncher against superior strikers, which Floyd obviously is. And Floyd prefers to be a counterpuncher because nobody on the planet has his combination of hand speed, punch accuracy, and head movement. I think this is a terrible fight in the ring. The lead up will be fun to watch though.

Being a better boxer is more encompassing than striking proficiency.

Enjoy having that debate with yourself. Literally nobody argued it wasn't.

It's almost like you think I said Conor has a good chance at winning, when I've said the opposite. I've admitted Conor could get caught off balance and knocked down sure. If he gets knocked out, I'd be surprised. I just think you overrate Floyd's power and underrate Conor's chin.

But we both agree Floyd has all the tools to dismantle him, and to do so pretty easily, so I'm really not sure why you chose to respond to my first post with so much snark. I should have taken the high road the first time and not responded in kind. It's made both of us into d|cks.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom