OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
lol @ GGG vs Canelo not being much better than Floyd vs McG, the boxing takes on this board are something to behold. Not even sure why you still keep pushing this agenda that Canelo won't show up, pre-sale tickets just went on sale, they're in the midst of a press tour, the fight is happening.

I don't have an agenda. Do you? Fights have been delayed at the last minute throughout the modern history of boxing. If it happens, and I hope it does. I don't think it will be that close of a fight. Not sure what you have seen that makes that opinion wrong. Hopefully, we will know for sure in a few months.

Reaction Score
I don't have an agenda. Do you? Fights have been delayed at the last minute throughout the modern history of boxing. If it happens, and I hope it does. I don't think it will be that close of a fight. Not sure what you have seen that makes that opinion wrong. Hopefully, we will know for sure in a few months.
Sure, fights have been delayed, but I'm also having a hard time remember the last big PPV or P4P-worthy fight that ended up getting delayed after a set date and press tour was announced, MMA has the far bigger issue of fight cancellations/postponements than boxing does. After seeing how easy Brook and Jacobs landed on GGG, DLH has no reason to be shook anymore, there's a reason why the fight is happening now. This isn't me saying Canelo will win, but with GGG's age, constantly undergoing VADA testing, and a close decision to Jacobs where he looked vulnerable, DLH obviously has seen enough to know the time is now to make the fight happen.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sure, fights have been delayed, but I'm also having a hard time remember the last big PPV or P4P-worthy fight that ended up getting delayed after a set date and press tour was announced, MMA has the far bigger issue of fight cancellations/postponements than boxing does. After seeing how easy Brook and Jacobs landed on GGG, DLH has no reason to be shook anymore, there's a reason why the fight is happening now. This isn't me saying Canelo will win, but with GGG's age, constantly undergoing VADA testing, and a close decision to Jacobs where he looked vulnerable, DLH obviously has seen enough to know the time is now to make the fight happen.

That is the reason I expect a last minute Canelo "injury". GGG is damn near 40 and already showing signs. Push it back 4 months and he will be older and will coming off a relatively long inactive period

I could make a list of big fights that were delayed within weeks of the fight, but I won't. I hope it happens and I hope they are both sharp. If so, I expect GGG to win easily.

In the end, I am a huge boxing fan and Canelo is better for the sport long term. I hope he is the real deal. I just have no real evidence yet.

Reaction Score
That is the reason I expect a last minute Canelo "injury". GGG is damn near 40 and already showing signs. Push it back 4 months and he will be older and will coming off a relatively long inactive period

I could make a list of big fights that were delayed within weeks of the fight, but I won't. I hope it happens and I hope they are both sharp. If so, I expect GGG to win easily.

In the end, I am a huge boxing fan and Canelo is better for the sport long term. I hope he is the real deal. I just have no real evidence yet.
Wouldn't really call 35 damn near 40 when speaking of athletes, and I think its more of a matter that you "can't" instead of "won't". In at least the last 10 years its hard to recall many bigtime fights that got cancelled after ticket sales were started and a press tour was launched. You're really on an island with this stance.

Reaction Score
Wouldn't really call 35 damn near 40 when speaking of athletes, and I think its more of a matter that you "can't" instead of "won't". In at least the last 10 years its hard to recall many bigtime fights that got cancelled after ticket sales were started and a press tour was launched. You're really on an island with this stance.

LOL, ok. And in Boxing 35 is damn near 40. Hell, 35 is damn near 40 in every sport other than Golf. But ok. I love the "think"/"can't" thing. Classic.

Reaction Score
LOL, ok. And in Boxing 35 is damn near 40. Hell, 35 is damn near 40 in every sport other than Golf. But ok. I love the "think"/"can't" thing. Classic.

GGG is fresh for a 35 year old boxer and doesn't rely on pure speed and has really good fundamentals. He really has no red flags to think "35 is damn near 40" in his case.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

I don't think you have a good handle on all this.

Reaction Score
I think Canelo will have an easy time with GGG. Canelo defense has been getting better and better and Genady had a lot of trouble with Jacob's movement.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
I think Canelo will have an easy time with GGG. Canelo defense has been getting better and better and Genady had a lot of trouble with Jacob's movement.

Jacobs is a true middleweight who was 15 lbs heavier on fight night, had a 3" reach advantage, a 1.5" height advantage, and is pretty athletic. Canelo doesn't have those advantages. GGG still landed more punches (+55) , jabs (+74) and knocked him down. Canelo has not beaten a true middleweight, and couldn't KO Chavez Jr in the last fight. GGG's chin is rock hard - never been knocked down in pros or amateurs (350 fights). I don't see Canelo knocking out GGG.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is a true middleweight who was 15 lbs heavier on fight night, had a 3" reach advantage, a 1.5" height advantage, and is pretty athletic. Canelo doesn't have those advantages. GGG still landed more punches (+55) , jabs (+74) and knocked him down. Canelo has not beaten a true middleweight, and couldn't KO Chavez Jr in the last fight. GGG's chin is rock hard - never been knocked down in pros or amateurs (350 fights). I don't see Canelo knocking out GGG.
I just haven't been that impressed with GGG quality of competition. He gets hit a lot. He fought a welterweight prior to Jacob's. Canelo footwork and counterpunching are going to have Golovkin swinging at air all night I think.

Andre Ward spent years calling out GGG and he kept saying no.

Reaction Score
I just haven't been that impressed with GGG quality of competition. He gets hit a lot. He fought a welterweight prior to Jacob's. Canelo footwork and counterpunching are going to have Golovkin swinging at air all night I think.

Yea I'm leaning towards Canelo myself, my only concern is whether or not he can deal with that power for 12 rounds and his past stamina issues. If he can deal with that power I expect Canelo to land on him at will but have no chance of finishing him, 12 round decision win.

Reaction Score
Possibly the worst take on this fight I've seen.

Floyd can literally beat Connor with 1 hand tied behind his back. This fight is like LeBron playing a mid level d1 bball player 1 on 1.
Exactly what i thought when i first read his post. Shockingly ignorant and tells me hes an mma fan and not very knowledgeable about boxing.

Reaction Score

[/QUOTE]
GGG beat Jacobs and Lemieux and they are farrrr from scrubs and just might be better than Canelo at 160lbs. Sure GGGs overall resume is weak but those two wins are higher quality than any of Canelos wins. Canelos best two wins were Cotto (undersized, way past prime) and Lara (Split decision).
Ward whom im a fan of is full of crap! If he wanted a GGG fight he`d of stayed at 168. He also claimed to have emailed an offer to GGG for a fight at 164lbs which GGG denied and Ward failed to prove by showing said email. Now its pointless as Ward fights two weight divisions north of GGG (175lbs/160lb) so the fight isnt happening anytime soon if at all.

Reaction Score
lol @ GGG vs Canelo not being much better than Floyd vs McG, the boxing takes on this board are something to behold. Not even sure why you still keep pushing this agenda that Canelo won't show up, pre-sale tickets just went on sale, they're in the midst of a press tour, the fight is happening.

Youd be surprised how little people know about boxing. I think its because most people that are boxing fans dont actually know the sport. They see two guys punching it out till one falls or one guy running while the other guy chases him around. For instance youve got all these people going on about Conor/Floyd and saying how Conor has a "punchers chance" or "Conors has zero chance and Floyds going to win easily" but they cant tell you why thats the case other than "Floyds 49-0 and Conor has never fought a professional boxing match. The reason why Conor has ZERO chance at beating floyd is simple and something absolutely nobody is talking about and that is FOOTWORK. Plain and simple. Floyd can move around the ring and around Conor much faster than Conor can move around or to catch up to Floyd. I watched Conors sparring and his footwork is absolutely TERRIBLE!!! He crosses his feet, can only punch when his feet are set and has no idea how to cut off the ring. This is all going to get him killed pretty quickly unless Floyd decides to carry him a few rounds before putting him away.
People that are saying Conor has the advantage in power are delusional. Ask any actual mma guys and they will tell you that boxers generate more power in their punches because their technique is far superior. In fact if you go on you tube Joe Rogan and a couple mma fighters are discussing this very subject and say the same. Floyd can absolutely knock Conor out especially if he feels confident enough to feel that he can tee off without having to worry about the counter which goes back to my original point. Floyds feet! Hes going to be able to get in throw what he wants and back out before Conor can even get in position to fire back. Floyd is going to give him angles that hes just not going to be able to deal with. I think Floyd wins by KO inside of 4 rounds and thats being generous. If Floyd sees McG has a good chin all he has to do is unload some body punches and the fight will be over pretty quickly. Just look at what happened this past weekend. Andre Ward isnt a big puncher yet he was able to stop a bigger iron jawed opponent by breaking his body down for 8 rounds. Floyd can do this in half the time if he needs too.

Reaction Score
GGG beat Jacobs and Lemieux and they are farrrr from scrubs and just might be better than Canelo at 160lbs. Sure GGGs overall resume is weak but those two wins are higher quality than any of Canelos wins. Canelos best two wins were Cotto (undersized, way past prime) and Lara (Split decision).
Ward whom im a fan of is full of crap! If he wanted a GGG fight he`d of stayed at 168. He also claimed to have emailed an offer to GGG for a fight at 164lbs which GGG denied and Ward failed to prove by showing said email. Now its pointless as Ward fights two weight divisions north of GGG (175lbs/160lb) so the fight isnt happening anytime soon if at all.[/QUOTE]
Ward went up to find a worthy challenger after cleaning out super middleweight. GGG is fighting welterweights and junior middleweights. Canelo has been in there with Austin Trout, Kermit Citron, Shane Mosley. I don't think the level of competition is comparable. And I think Ward isn't real light heavyweight and could easily still male 168 if not lower. He was a lot smaller than Kovalev.

Reaction Score
Saying Ward wouldn't have fought GGG is bs. Dude went up a class to chase Kovalev who nobody else in 175 wanted any part of.

Canelo also has a better resume than GGG, a lot of that isn't Gennady's fault since guys don't want to fight him, but it doesn't change the fact that Canelo has been in with better guys and beaten them all besides Floyd.

Reaction Score
Ward whom im a fan of is full of crap! If he wanted a GGG fight he`d of stayed at 168. He also claimed to have emailed an offer to GGG for a fight at 164lbs which GGG denied and Ward failed to prove by showing said email. Now its pointless as Ward fights two weight divisions north of GGG (175lbs/160lb) so the fight isnt happening anytime soon if at all.
Ward went up to find a worthy challenger after cleaning out super middleweight. GGG is fighting welterweights and junior middleweights. Canelo has been in there with Austin Trout, Kermit Citron, Shane Mosley. I don't think the level of competition is comparable. And I think Ward isn't real light heavyweight and could easily still male 168 if not lower. He was a lot smaller than Kovalev.[/QUOTE]

youre seriously going to bring up TRout, Cintron and old ass mosley? Ward is not a small lhw and was struggling to make smw which he said himself. He moved up because of weight not just to look for a challenge. Kovalev is a big lhw and while a bit bigger wasnt much bigger than ward. GGGs resume dont mean squat now anyway as we`ll see in Sept just how good he is or isnt.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Once the Floyd/Conor fight passes, the hype for GGG/Canelo will pick right up. Here's a TV promo for it already:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Once the Floyd/Conor fight passes, the hype for GGG/Canelo will pick right up. Here's a TV promo for it already:

Ahhhh, a real fight. I'm having a hard time wanting to pay 30 bucks to get into a bar for a massacre. Probably will though.

Reaction Score
Ahhhh, a real fight. I'm having a hard time wanting to pay 30 bucks to get into a bar for a massacre. Probably will though.
Exactly. Those clips of mcgregor sparring Paulie only reinforce he has no shot. Those punches will never land on Floyd. Paulie is in no type of physical condition to be going 12 rounds against a guy in his prime.

Reaction Score
Exactly. Those clips of mcgregor sparring Paulie only reinforce he has no shot. Those punches will never land on Floyd. Paulie is in no type of physical condition to be going 12 rounds against a guy in his prime.
Something nobody is mentioning is that Paulie hits about as mother theresa in her prime. Now you put him in the ring with a bigger, younger and in shape fighter wearing 16oz gloves and that guy is going to walk through him and not worry at all about taking punches. McGregor in that video is clearly not showing any respect for Paulie because he doesnt have to. Id like to see McGregor spar with a guy like Shawn Porter. I guarantee he wont be releasing any videos of that.
This is all just trying to sell the fight. Paulie got used and he mad now. None of this matters because Floyd is going to clown Mcgregor badly. Forget all the obvious stuff the one thing that is going to kill Conor is his footwork. Hes not going to be able to cut the ring off on floyd and its going to force him to follow floyd and as hes coming in hes going to eat some big right hands and check left hooks as he comes in. After a couple rounds of that hes either going to be on the canvas looking up or his corner or the ref is going to stop the fight.

Reaction Score
Something nobody is mentioning is that Paulie hits about as mother theresa in her prime. Now you put him in the ring with a bigger, younger and in shape fighter wearing 16oz gloves and that guy is going to walk through him and not worry at all about taking punches. McGregor in that video is clearly not showing any respect for Paulie because he doesnt have to. Id like to see McGregor spar with a guy like Shawn Porter. I guarantee he wont be releasing any videos of that.
This is all just trying to sell the fight. Paulie got used and he mad now. None of this matters because Floyd is going to clown Mcgregor badly. Forget all the obvious stuff the one thing that is going to kill Conor is his footwork. Hes not going to be able to cut the ring off on floyd and its going to force him to follow floyd and as hes coming in hes going to eat some big right hands and check left hooks as he comes in. After a couple rounds of that hes either going to be on the canvas looking up or his corner or the ref is going to stop the fight.

The footwork thing has already been mentioned multiple times by myself and others.

That being said, Floyd's legs had pretty drastically slowed down in his last few fights, so I wouldn't be surprised to see Floyd plant his feet and just use his waist/shoulder/head movement to slip what I'm sure will be wide looping punches coming from Conor.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Pretty interesting videos on Floyd's top 50 punches thrown and Conor's 25 top punches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom