OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Mayweather vs. McGregor

Reaction Score
MMA fighters aren't? Now imagine doing everything a boxer does and then try doing it for 2 more minutes per round, with a guy hanging off you, and trying to stop you from breathing by covering your mouth with his gloves or putting his forearm across your throat.

Cardio has been documented as macgregors weakness. He hasn't done well late in his fights, apparently. (Mma isn't my thing so idk how true just read it in the sites)

Mayweather is well known for outlasting guys with his cardio.

Mma is extremely difficult no doubt. Where did I say That it isn't? But boxers are doing it for a he'll of a lot more than 5 rounds in a decent fight.

You talk like someone who has never been in a ring. The length of rounds becomes practically irrelevant after round 2. It all blends together.

Reaction Score
Boxers are some of the best.athletes in the world.
Gotta respectfully disagree here.
I'd agree that they have to be in phenomenal cardiovascular shape, but that doesn't make them great athletes. It just makes them in great shape.

We'd have to define "athlete" to work this question. I'd take most NBA players and most nfl skills players way ahead of any boxer or MMA guy. Not for cardio, but rather for "athlete."

Also, for flat out gotta-have-cardio, I'd go with men's tennis first. Oldest tennis player to win Wimbledon prior to the Alien Roger Federer doing it this year at age 35 was a guy who was 31. There are only a handful of guys who have won a tennis major after age 29. It's crazy when you think about it. It's the cardio.

Reaction Score
Gotta respectfully disagree here.
I'd agree that they have to be in phenomenal cardiovascular shape, but that doesn't make them great athletes. It just makes them in great shape.

We'd have to define "athlete" to work this question. I'd take most NBA players and most nfl skills players way ahead of any boxer or MMA guy. Not for cardio, but rather for "athlete."

Also, for flat out gotta-have-cardio, I'd go with men's tennis first. Oldest tennis player to win Wimbledon prior to the Alien Roger Federer doing it this year at age 35 was a guy who was 31. There are only a handful of guys who have won a tennis major after age 29. It's crazy when you think about it. It's the cardio.

I agree on tennis. Freaky amount of endurance, speed, and power.

What I like about boxers athleticism is their speed and power combined with endurance. I think it takes more athleticism than you'd think to dodge punches.

Reaction Score
I agree on tennis. Freaky amount of endurance, speed, and power.

What I like about boxers athleticism is their speed and power combined with endurance. I think it takes more athleticism than you'd think to dodge punches.

Tennis might be the only sport that you could argue requires more cardio endurance. The amount of work you're doing with your legs and waist in such a high intensity situation is pretty outrageous, and that's without counting any body shots that might knock the wind out of you.

Reaction Score
Cardio has been documented as macgregors weakness. He hasn't done well late in his fights, apparently. (Mma isn't my thing so idk how true just read it in the sites)

Mayweather is well known for outlasting guys with his cardio.

Mma is extremely difficult no doubt. Where did I say That it isn't? But boxers are doing it for a he'll of a lot more than 5 rounds in a decent fight.

You talk like someone who has never been in a ring. The length of rounds becomes practically irrelevant after round 2. It all blends together.

One of the most ridiculous posts I have ever read!

Reaction Score
I have zero experience, so I don't know anything about this, but the MMA guys are getting kicked, punched harder, and have to exert huge energy when in the clinch/wrestling. I'm sure getting hit by a guy with boxing gloves on hurts like hell. But I can't imagine it hurts more than getting kicked in the arm with an unpadded leg.

Would be interesting to hear from a guy who's had a dozen fights in each sport.

Reaction Score
I have zero experience, so I don't know anything about this, but the MMA guys are getting kicked, punched harder, and have to exert huge energy when in the clinch/wrestling. I'm sure getting hit by a guy with boxing gloves on hurts like hell. But I can't imagine it hurts more than getting kicked in the arm with an unpadded leg.

Boxers are much more powerful punchers even with gloves. They are surgical with their punches (hit you within inches of their intended target and those targets are where it hurts most), have more punching power, and have better combinations.

Mma fighters have to practice too many things to be half as good punchers/ boxers as actual boxers (punching, kicks, ground game, holds/submissions, defense).

Boxers train for punching and defense. Anyone who thinks mma fighters are even in the same stratosphere with boxers for punching power and accuracy is severely mistaken

Reaction Score

I haven't had a dozen fights in each, but a few. Many more in muay thai in anything.

In the ring, particularly for pros. It's not really about pain, more about damage and if you can breathe and if you can see straight.

A good kick to the arms isn't Terrible; you TRY to get it to hit your arms and not your ribs. Kicks hurt, though. Particularly thai style.

A boxers punches are so, so much more deadly. It's not one punch. They see you flinch, and go at the spot again. Then hit you again in the same spot, and again, until you're off balance and kind of dizzy. Then they hit you in the ribs and kidneys so you can't breathe. When you drop to protect yourself, then comes the head again.

And a boxer like Floyd is so technical. He knows a fighters tendencies--he's countering before the punch is even thrown.

You are absolutely insane if you think an mma guy punches harder. MMA gloves are actually more pleasant to be hit with, imo. There s about the same amount of padding, but the boxing gloves are tighter and more knockout feeling. Idk how to explain.

If anything, leg kicks are the worst an mma guy has. Forget about arms or head kicks. Its rare for a good head kick between two strikers. you can't move after a downward leg kick. It's like a Charlie horse from Hades.

Clinch and wrestling are exhausting you're correct.

Reality is both are extraordinary athletes. But Floyd has trained for this specific event. And he jas used his conditioning to his advantahe ikn the ring. Connor has NOT done well in late rounds. Look it up.

Just like a cyclist is a great athlete. But he would be awful in a tennis match. They're different skills. Connor is an amateur with one signature strike. Floyd is in the conversation for greateat fighters ever.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
McGregor had plenty of 12 round spars and the the left he landed on Paulie during their spar came in the 12th round. IOW he'll be fine. Biggest concern for me is can he endure body work from Floyd. If the answer is yes, then the fight will be much more competitive the people think. If no he could get put away early like Indongo was last night.

Reaction Score
McGregor had plenty of 12 round spars and the the left he landed on Paulie during their spar came in the 12th round. IOW he'll be fine. Biggest concern for me is can he endure body work from Floyd. If the answer is yes, then the fight will be much more competitive the people think. If no he could get put away early like Indongo was last night.
Paulie, is not Floyd, he wore open head gear, and he ate that shot. Add in there that Paulie's conditioning looked like that of a retired guy and things don't bode well for Connor. He is bigger and younger and if an old Floyd shows up, he has chance. Other than that he is in for a beating.

Reaction Score

MMA fighter do not punch harder than pure boxers, for one all boxers do is train boxing so its expected they're going to be better than guys who have to train in several different disciplines. 2nd, the stances are completely different to account for leg kicks and takedowns, so they are not using the same kind of technique or leverage to generate the kind of power that boxers do. If you need an "expert" opinion to explain the levels to this that you can't grasp just listen to Michael Bisping around the 5:50 mark.

Reaction Score
McGregor's cardio is off the charts! I would be absolutely shocked if this fight didn't go the distance. Obviously I think Mayweather wins a relatively easy fight but I don't think he will KO/TKO McGregor. Boxing 3 minute rounds is a cake walk for an MMA fighter that is used to fighting 5 minute rounds and is expending far more energy protecting against take downs, chokes, and various other submission attempts.
McGregor gassed halfway thru the 2nd round in both fights against Diaz, and in both of those fights he was basically kickboxing against Diaz. In the first fight the fight didnt go to the ground until McGregor got rocked by a simple 1/2 and he tried to panic wrestle, and the 2nd fight didn't go to the ground until the 5th round when Diaz went for a takedown on a gassed McGregor. You're out of your mind if you dont think McGregor isn't gonna gas after swinging at air and being walked into traps all over the ring against Mayweather.

Reaction Score
Paulie, is not Floyd, he wore open head gear, and he ate that shot. Add in there that Paulie's conditioning looked like that of a retired guy and things don't bode well for Connor. He is bigger and younger and if an old Floyd shows up, he has chance. Other than that he is in for a beating.

He snapped his head back like a pez dispenser in 16 oz gloves. You're right about the headgear and Paulie's condioning but the point I'm trying to make that you missed is that McGregor was still putting power on his punches in the 12th round of a 12 round spar.

Reaction Score
MMA fighter do not punch harder than pure boxers,
You factor in the lighter gloves and MMA punches are absolutely much harder. You don't need an expert to tell you that multiple ounces of padding decrease the hardness of each punch.
Your focus is on the physics of the arm, mine on the impetus of the punch.

Reaction Score
You factor in the lighter gloves and MMA punches are absolutely much harder. You don't need an expert to tell you that multiple ounces of padding decrease the hardness of each punch.
Your focus is on the physics of the arm, mine on the impetus of the punch.
So a UFC champion explains that boxers punch harder and you still refuse to believe it, lmao. As far as the weight of the gloves, I'll let Shane Mosley explain but you'll probably dismiss this as well since you have a better understanding than guys who actually do this for a living. You'll figure things out on the 26th.

Reaction Score
Nobody would confuse the guy with a "fighter."
He's a defensive boxer.
Big difference.

Okay. If you don't think Floyd mayweather is a top fighter of all time this isn't a conversation worth having. We are on deeply different wavelengths here.

Reaction Score
To the guy saying The Mountain would beat a trained fighter. Well, this Russian mma fighter just killed this power lifter. Not figuratively, literally.

Reaction Score
Okay. If you don't think Floyd mayweather is a top fighter
Not a "fighter." He's a boxer who spends 80% of his matches running from his opponent. There is one place on the planet where that gets you a win. The boxing ring. Kudos to him for mastering the rules of that venue. He figured out that he can win by not fighting. In boxing, that wins. By the rules. So, well done. He's gotten rich for it. But I have a half dozen guys who come into my bar regularly who would take his head off in a real "fight."
He's not a fighter. He's a boxer. Big difference in his case.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom