OT: Lonzo Ball's dad | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Lonzo Ball's dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
There was a long spotlight on the family on ESPN today. How the father trained all 3 of them everyday since they were little kids. He already has copyrighted the brand Ball Brothers "Something" (can't remember the last "B" word) with tee shirts and other merchandise with three interlocking B's. The guy is nuts. Makes Todd Marinovich's father seem normal. I just hope for the kids' sakes that they don't end up like Marinovich.

What I don't understand is how the media eats up the crap this guy says. He's obviously doing a good job promoting his kids but he's also obviously a nut job. Does the media really need to promote the words and actions of a loon who is obviously doing all this for self promotion?

ESPN is the only network slobbering over this because the organization is desperate for any kind of angle.

Reaction Score
The NBA guys will come after this kid so hard, play him tougher than anyone else. It hurts him big time with all the attention and hype.

He'll be a bust. Remember Baby Jordan? He was a huge bust. The Ball Brand only succeeds if the kid wins.

He sucked in the PAC-12 tourney.

There was a long spotlight on the family on ESPN today. How the father trained all 3 of them everyday since they were little kids. He already has copyrighted the brand Ball Brothers "Something" (can't remember the last "B" word) with tee shirts and other merchandise with three interlocking B's. The guy is nuts. Makes Todd Marinovich's father seem normal. I just hope for the kids' sakes that they don't end up like Marinovich.

What I don't understand is how the media eats up the crap this guy says. He's obviously doing a good job promoting his kids but he's also obviously a nut job. Does the media really need to promote the words and actions of a loon who is obviously doing all this for self promotion?

Reaction Score
To what end? I mean, the reason the Kardashians are so miraculous is because they have no discernible talent whatsoever, yet they've built a half a billion dollar empire.

This kid's going to be a top 3 draft pick whether or not Lavar Ball ever discovered the internet, and no amount of tweeting is going to put LiAngelo Ball in the NBA.
Because it gives all of them more press. The dad is an epic level troll, the media buys into all his bulls--t and then fans on message board go crazy about it like we see here. Lonzo is a great player, He will be drafted top three and make boatloads of money no matter what, it's too bad his dad already has a lot of people hating the kid.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
He already has copyrighted the brand Ball Brothers "Something" (can't remember the last "B" word) with tee shirts and other merchandise with three interlocking B's.

You had it -- only out of order. It's "Brand." Ball Brothers Brand.

I don't think this guy's so bad. He's marketing his sons, but as he points out, so is UCLA. At least when he does it, the money goes to the family. What's most important is that they seem like good kids who enjoy playing basketball. You could tell Marinovich was doing what his father wanted, not what he wanted. This seems very different to me.

It doesn't seem he's negatively affecting Lonzo's play at UCLA and I don't remember a father ever influencing an NBA team/coach.

Reaction Score
That's fair enough. I agree with the "no bad press" but having seen Lavar in action a couple times I'm hesitant to ascribe it to some grand strategy. Maybe I'm not giving the dude enough credit. I will say that when you see them at UCLA the family could not seem more normal.
Why do you think he says absolutely ridiculous stuff all the time?

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
I think its pretty smart. Crazy, but smart. Seems like someone on the BY would do this for their sons.

Reaction Score
Why do you think he says absolutely ridiculous stuff all the time?

While I understand the argument people are making, I still haven't heard a credible explanation as to how this benefits Lonzo in the slightest. No one is drafting the kid or inking a shoe deal with him on the strength of what Lavar Ball says, and the same goes for his brothers. They got their offers not because dad bumps his gums but because UCLA wanted the oldest brother.

Reaction Score

What I don't understand is how the media eats up the crap this guy says. He's doing a good job promoting his kids but he's also certainly a nut job. Does the media really need to promote the words and actions of a loon who is so obviously doing all this for self promotion?

I'm all in on the family after watching that.

If the Dad backs up what 1/2 what he said to the camera with action and example, those kids will all be great. The comparison someone made to the Williams' sisters Dad is spot on.

Reaction Score
They both did. Neither one of them are as good as Lonzo. The youngest kid's ranking seems absurd to me.
Yeah, I think it just shot up cuz of the 92 point game. Unless he add some muscle and quickness, college PG's will eat him eat. But he has time

Reaction Score
You had it -- only out of order. It's "Brand." Ball Brothers Brand.

I don't think this guy's so bad. He's marketing his sons, but as he points out, so is UCLA. At least when he does it, the money goes to the family. What's most important is that they seem like good kids who enjoy playing basketball. You could tell Marinovich was doing what his father wanted, not what he wanted. This seems very different to me.

It doesn't seem he's negatively affecting Lonzo's play at UCLA and I don't remember a father ever influencing an NBA team/coach.
Big Ballers Brand.

Lame company name anyway.

Reaction Score
Of course, his son is at a completely different level and his son has a lot more power of a sort. The power to sit out a year, as I recall, could allow a player to resign with whom he chooses. I imagine that this has changed? How could Ball try to make the NBA allow him to sign with the Lakers? Is there any leverage he has?

When Ball gets to the NBA, do you think Dad is going to be so prominent? Doubt it very much.

You're crazy if you think the dad won't be all over the place, and most NBA franchises will let it happen. This family are the evolutionary Kardashians.

C

Chief00

I have a hard time believing a team would pass on a kid simply because the father is a loon. As long as the player isn't high mantainance, why would they care? They don't have to deal with the father.

I agree - a kid's father isn't going to impact the top of the draft.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Big Ballers Brand.

Lame company name anyway.

Right. HooperScooper threw me off!

Not sure who's buying that stuff.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I really wanted to dislike him but I've probably seen more UCLA games than any other school this year and the kid just has it.

Kid's just good - I don't care if his dad is Pol Pot, I'm drafting him if I can.

His dad is a goofball. No one cares what he says, least of all the NBA - at least he's entertaining.

Reaction Score
Right. HooperScooper threw me off!

Not sure who's buying that stuff.
Impressionable kids. The demographics of the US are changing very fast.

Reaction Score
Kid & Father have put a huge target on his back

He will be a huge bust. The NBA guys will play him so hard. Tough D, crazy hard fouls

The father or kid said he will be better than MJ or Kobe or something. Huh? The kid sucked in the PAC-12 tourney.

Kid's just good - I don't care if his dad is Pol Pot, I'm drafting him if I can.

His dad is a goofball. No one cares what he says, least of all the NBA - at least he's entertaining.

Reaction Score
While I understand the argument people are making, I still haven't heard a credible explanation as to how this benefits Lonzo in the slightest. No one is drafting the kid or inking a shoe deal with him on the strength of what Lavar Ball says, and the same goes for his brothers. They got their offers not because dad bumps his gums but because UCLA wanted the oldest brother.
I think he's pretty clearly trying to create a Kardashian style brand. Not sure how it's going to work since Lonzo will probably be the only one who really makes it in the NBA, and none of them have the Kardashian's assets.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It's all about building a brand through name recognition, doesn't really matter how you do it as is showcased here thanks to the social networks.

Just the very fact that people who don't follow the respective leagues closely have heard the name "Ball" and the antics that surround it brings eyes to the family and gets people clicking the "subscribe" button both figuratively and literally. Nowadays its pretty easy to convert social media eyes and clicks to real world dollars because everything is easily tracked and quantified as followers and subscribers, it all turns into advertising and marketing. Same way how an attractive female can bring in 6 figures just by posting nice photos on her instagram until she has enough followers to do some product placement or host events or whatever they do. What Lavar is doing is getting people talking and setting the stage for his future business plans, stuff like we see here makes something ridiculous like a "Ball Brothers" reality TV show following the family seem waaaaay more realistic say in 5-10 years, than say had he kept quiet like all other athlete dads and not created random drama to create entertainment beforehand. BTW i'm totally calling the TV show thing down the line right now, Keeping up with the Balls, no pun intended.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Kinda reminds me of the Williams sister's father.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Last I looked basketball si still a team sport and maybe that is something the Father should remember. He is only as good as those players around him.
He is a very good player, but the expectation his father is laying on him is not helping his son

Reaction Score

He will be a huge bust. The NBA guys will play him so hard. Tough D, crazy hard fouls
Everyone isn't mean-spirited and nasty like you. Nobody in the NBA cares about a kid's dad spouting off about shoe deals.

Aside, I don't mind it because side stories and hype are what the NBA is built on. This stuff would not fly in the NFL though IMO. Teams (at least the good ones) are allergic to distractions in that league

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

He will be a huge bust. The NBA guys will play him so hard. Tough D, crazy hard .

Repeatedly, kid has said absolutely nothing. Not a word about this sort of thing.

Whether his father talks smack, or NBA guys "play him so hard" will have zero impact whether he's a bust or not

Reaction Score
You really think the NBA guys differentiate between what his father says and/or him

All they've heard is all this hype about the Ball kid and how he's supposedly the next MJ

Yes, sure, not on my watch

I can't wait to watch Russ, Wall, Steph just destroy this kid

This kid is so unlikeable and he's the most likeable in the whole family

Again, in his one tournament (PAC-12) so far he sucked

Repeatedly, kid has said absolutely nothing. Not a word about this sort of thing.

Whether his father talks smack, or NBA guys "play him so hard" will have zero impact whether he's a bust or not

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No way. Father will be chirping day one and minute he doesn't like something and how he"ll sign somewhere else.

The kid is a total jerk. The father is more of a jerk, and the younger brother is a Tier 1 jerk.

Best thing is wherever he goes NBA guys will go 110% after the kid. Kid will be a huge bust. If I was a NBA coach I'd double team this jerk on every possession.
Lol! You think the Balls are the only "jerks" in the NBA? The only headcases organizations have to deal with?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom