OT: Lonzo Ball's dad | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT: Lonzo Ball's dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's weirdly petty. The whole thing with his father is becoming increasingly overblown. The Balls are pretty hard to dislike as a family. So his dad gets a little overzealous. He's far from the first one. Anyway, his kid is much better than I figured he'd be and is going to be very, very good at the next level.
I find the father very hard to like, and Lamelo as well. But Lonzo seems like a good kid.

Reaction Score
Yeah, want this kid nowhere near the C's if we miss on Fultz no matter how good

Rather lose with people I respect than ones I don't (more about Father and jerk brother) so it's only a matter of time

Don't sell lonzo short. Ball has the passing ability/vision and feel for the game as kidd and is a better scorer/shooter at this point in their careers. Lonzo defense is underrated IMO maybe not kiddesque but he isn't a slouch his length and feel for getting in passing lanes is disruptive

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Yeah, want this kid nowhere near the C's if we miss on Fultz no matter how good

Rather lose with people I respect than ones I don't (more about Father and jerk brother) so it's only a matter of time
Speaking of kids do you have any?
Ack! Which poster just entered my head?

Reaction Score
I find the father very hard to like, and Lamelo as well. But Lonzo seems like a good kid.

It's really bizarre that people make these good kid / bad kid determinations based on what happens on the court.

Incidentally, I can't really think of a better endorsement than JSM's statement that he doesn't respect Lonzo Ball. This dude is making a run at biggest loser in Boneyard history.

Reaction Score
It's really bizarre that people make these good kid / bad kid determinations based on what happens on the court.

Incidentally, I can't really think of a better endorsement than JSM's statement that he doesn't respect Lonzo Ball. This dude is making a run at biggest loser in Boneyard history.
You're right, I shouldn't have said LaMelo is hard to like, don't know enough about him, but from what I have seen I don't like the way he plays. Pointing at the halfcourt line and pulling up from there to start a game, playing minimal defense, and a couple interviews I saw of him just rubbed me the wrong way.

But, I do not like LaVar Ball. He is a pompous, anooying loud mouth who thinks his sons are the next coming. He says each of them will be better than Steph, and the whole Lakers thing. And when he gets backlash, as he has from those two comments, he tries to excuse it by re-stating it in a less-cocky, yet still somewhat arrogant way.

Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball’s Dad Says He’ll Make His Own Brand Like Jordan If Shoe Companies Don’t Give Him Right Deal

LaVar was speaking with former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson on ESPN radio and most notably talked about pursuing his son’s sneaker deal.

“They’re kicking in the door, but they’re shocked at what I’m telling them. I said, ‘I’m not looking for no endorsement deal. I’m looking for a marketing and distribution deal.’ Branding. The only person doing that is (Michael) Jordan with Nike. That’s what we’re for. If Lonzo doesn’t sign with Adidas, Nike or Under Armour, guess what — I’ll sign the Big Baller Brand.

“We already got our own brand. Triple B’s. Lonzo is going to be the first one drafted with his own brand. That don’t happen.”

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Lonzo Ball’s Dad Says He’ll Make His Own Brand Like Jordan If Shoe Companies Don’t Give Him Right Deal

LaVar was speaking with former NFL wide receiver Keyshawn Johnson on ESPN radio and most notably talked about pursuing his son’s sneaker deal.

“They’re kicking in the door, but they’re shocked at what I’m telling them. I said, ‘I’m not looking for no endorsement deal. I’m looking for a marketing and distribution deal.’ Branding. The only person doing that is (Michael) Jordan with Nike. That’s what we’re for. If Lonzo doesn’t sign with Adidas, Nike or Under Armour, guess what — I’ll sign the Big Baller Brand.

“We already got our own brand. Triple B’s. Lonzo is going to be the first one drafted with his own brand. That don’t happen.”
Pimp.

Reaction Score
It's weirdly petty. The whole thing with his father is becoming increasingly overblown. The Balls are pretty hard to dislike as a family. So his dad gets a little overzealous. He's far from the first one. Anyway, his kid is much better than I figured he'd be and is going to be very, very good at the next level.
I really know nothing about the family and could care less about them. Lonzo is probably my favorite player in college this year and he looks like the closest thing I've seen to Kidd. Was just pointing out a couple weeks as a practice player could be seen as a stretch when calling someone a former NFL player. Think you have to at least suit up once.

Reaction Score
Which is what exactly in today's NBA? That't not a rhetorical question, I'm actually curious. He sure as hell isn't in the same stratosphere as Kidd defensively.
A great point guard. Are you implying Kidd wouldn't be elite in today's NBA? I think Kidd is a star in any era.

Reaction Score

The trend where people seem to be judged as people based on their sports opinions is even more bizarre. I don't get how this situation is suddenly toxic because his father has some outrageous beliefs about basketball. I mean, everybody knows that little league parent, but when it gets to the pros I don't see how something like this is even a factor.

Reaction Score
A great point guard. Are you implying Kidd wouldn't be elite in today's NBA? I think Kidd is a star in any era.

I honestly don't know. I think it's possible he would be because of how smart of a player he was - the post game is a lost art among point guards and that's where Kidd could have cornered a market whereas a guy like Rondo was chased out. If Andre Miller can stay relevant for as long as he did, it's probably not a stretch to think Kidd would still be a star. He was also a beast defensively late into his career - he constantly switched onto Durant and LeBron and locked them down during the 2011 run.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

So the kid doesn't get a chance to be judged as his own man?

Reaction Score

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Better his Dad than mine
Too bad for the young guy and his brothers
Seeing the old pain in the arse likes the limelight - he should grab a whistle and start officiating some AAC games
I feel for the kids but if they buy into it - shame on them

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
this is why I hate twitter.

Its the new accepted form of communication over the internet that only encourages trolling. With Twitter's system, its really only all about how many retweets and likes you get, as long as you get people talking his plan works, and he is good enough at trolling that people have taken notice.

It's pretty clear all along he has been using the Kardashian model for success. Be polarizing, be outspoken, and make sure everyone either hates you or loves you, no in between because tweeners dont share the story.

Reaction Score
He hasn't accomplished anything and put a huge target on his back

He had 8 points in the PAC-12 semi game. The kid is a total &$@%, father and jerk brother even worse

People will root for his failure, which never helps. I doubt they even get their $$ beyond his rookie deal. Teams will be crazy taking this circus act. He'll fall hard on draft night. Father is such an idiot.

Yeah I feel for Lonzo Ball. Can't imagine how rough life is right now.

Reaction Score
It's pretty clear all along he has been using the Kardashian model for success. Be polarizing, be outspoken, and make sure everyone either hates you or loves you, no in between because tweeners dont share the story.

To what end? I mean, the reason the Kardashians are so miraculous is because they have no discernible talent whatsoever, yet they've built a half a billion dollar empire.

This kid's going to be a top 3 draft pick whether or not Lavar Ball ever discovered the internet, and no amount of tweeting is going to put LiAngelo Ball in the NBA.

Reaction Score
I disagree. Teams will back off of this circus act. The kid is a jerk and the brother and father are worse.

NBA coaches and GMs won't deal with this. He's not a can't miss.

The father doesn't get it. The kid scored 8 points in a semi PAC-12 loss. Such an unlikeable player and kid, family.

To what end? I mean, the reason the Kardashians are so miraculous is because they have no discernible talent whatsoever, yet they've built a half a billion dollar empire.

This kid's going to be a top 3 draft pick whether or not Lavar Ball ever discovered the internet, and no amount of tweeting is going to put LiAngelo Ball in the NBA.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score

You are right, there is a clear talent disparity between the two groups, but you can clearly see his goal is to upset and inflamme the public, because its doubly true on twitter that there really is "No such thing as bad press".

Just the brand growth of the word/name "Ball" and its obvious marketability have grown tremendously from all the talk this behavior has generated. I had people who dont even watch bball mention this to me from Social media.

Reaction Score
The kid is a trememdous talent. The father reminds me of the Williams sisters father. Id draft the kid in a heartbeat and the father wouldnt be an issue at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom