OT: Giants | Page 5 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I mean, there certainly always have been die-hard Pats fans, but football was never that important in Boston until Brady and Belichick arrived.
Not quite true. The season ticket waiting list began with the Big Tuna.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
There is that type of RB available, Saquon Barkley from PSU. And I wouldn't touch him with a top 5 pick. The shelf life of a RB is so short that I don't even think it's worth the investment. Give me the franchise QB, especially as a franchise that is so rarely in a position to be able to take that kind of a player.
I agree. I like him. We need a kickoff returner real bad. Barkley wears a few hats. I also like the QB fo rOhio State, Barrett?Bartlett? The QB profile is changing back to mobile QB's. I am in Penn State country. Not a fan at all. Howver I did watch the Ohio State-Penn State game and those two player are impressive. Barkley can stop on a dime and find a hole in the OL for yardage. Okay we need a O-Line, but he will be too tough to pass over. Giants need to lose to 49er's Sunday. Although I have followed the Giants since I can crawl up to the TV , it is time to hoist the white flag. The whole team is terrible. Anybody remember a Giants defense allowing so many points? Especially with Spags. I know all the DE's are disabled list. Now is the time to try out other players.

Reaction Score
I agree. I like him. We need a kickoff returner real bad. Barkley wears a few hats. I also like the QB fo rOhio State, Barrett?Bartlett? The QB profile is changing back to mobile QB's. I am in Penn State country. Not a fan at all. Howver I did watch the Ohio State-Penn State game and those two player are impressive. Barkley can stop on a dime and find a hole in the OL for yardage. Okay we need a O-Line, but he will be too tough to pass over. Giants need to lose to 49er's Sunday. Although I have followed the Giants since I can crawl up to the TV , it is time to hoist the white flag. The whole team is terrible. Anybody remember a Giants defense allowing so many points? Especially with Spags. I know all the DE's are disabled list. Now is the time to try out other players.

Sorry Hankster a huge no thanks on Bartlett. I mean when he's good he's fun to watch but he's not good enough in the college game to transition to the next level. I'm not even sure who the "next one" is even if they lose out the season, tough call and they all have their inconsistencies and weaknesses. The only reason the game has changed is because too many teams have crappy OLines, get a solid defense, same on the OLine and a pocket passer who can move just enough you have a better chance to win. Ask upstater LOL.

I do like Barkely though I agree there. Not sure you can waste that #1 on him though too many other needs.

Reaction Score
The points against are due to Spags one dimensional defense. Blitzing everyone every down. That’s it. That’s all he does. Even without the right personnel. He is worse than mcadoo if I may say.

Reaction Score
Doesn't quite have the same ring to it.

And what did we draft Webb for?

Well, I don't think going 1-15 this year was the plan on Draft day. When you have the chance to draft the next Aaron Rodgers, you have to!

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Well, I don't think going 1-15 this year was the plan on Draft day. When you have the chance to draft the next Aaron Rodgers, you have to!

OK, Mrs. Rosen!

I don't see him as a sure thing. And Rodgers went #24.

Reaction Score
Until the front office has people who can evaluate offensive line talent and prioritizes improving that position all Giants QB's will look bad. With a pick in the top 5 which the Giants are virtually guaranteed they can go after a QB or go the Accorsi route and get the best pass rusher available.

Reaction Score
Reese and McAdoo need to be gone come the end of the season.

We'll have a high pick and if a QB is available that the new front office deems worthy of that selection, you take them.

Try to revamp the line as much as we can and give it a final shot with Eli in 2018.

Come 2019 the new QB and Davis Webb will have to win the job with Eli gone.

I must say I was willfully blind and bought into the McAdoo and Giant hype coming into this season.

I hate tanking as I think it's toxic to the culture of the organization but if we finish 1-15 so be it.

P.S. lord help them if they take a running back with a top 5 pick. QB or OL.
Agree. Anyone clamoring for a RB does not really understand how the game is played. You need an OL to block for them. See Gurley, Todd. Stunk last year, team redid the OL (signing Whitworth when that moron Reese passed on him) and now he is an MVP candidate. Of the top 5 leading rushers, all have good to great OLs, and also only 2 were taken in Round 1. Fix the OL is the priority not find another RB who will get hit at or behind the line of scrimmage every play.

Reese is the biggest issue with this team, and Mara for being stupid enough to still employ him. Reese threw away four drafts in the last 6 years.3 players he drafted from 2011-13 are still in the league. By way of comparison Seattle has 18 during that time frame. Reese is arguably the worst GM in sports. He was given a HOF QB and an amazing foundation which won a SB from Acorsi and he has driven it off a cliff. I despise that man for what he has done to this franchise.

I love Spags, but the whole staff needs to go and a new GM needs to be allowed to hire from the ground up.

Keep Eli's start streak going but get Webb some action to see what he has got, hard to play with no OL and no WRs, but at least see what happens when you threw him into the fire. Then decide if you want to draft Rosen or Darnold, or take OL with that pick (or trade it to move back with the Jets or someone else).

A new GM and coach and proper roster management can have this team back in the playoffs next year I believe. There are pieces there (I honestly did not know whether to laugh or threw my laptop out my window when I read someone on here say to trade Odell).

Reaction Score
If they are in a spot to draft a QB that is a pretty sure thing they should trade Eli for high picks to get more OL and DE's or LB's. I am tired of seeing Eli lose the ball when hit while passing. Brady takes shots all the time and does not fumble.

Reaction Score
If they are in a spot to draft a QB that is a pretty sure thing they should trade Eli for high picks to get more OL and DE's or LB's. I am tired of seeing Eli lose the ball when hit while passing. Brady takes shots all the time and does not fumble.
Only 1 active Player has more fumbles lost than Eli and it’s Brady. Nice try though

Reaction Score
I'm just about the biggest Eli supporter there is, I want to see him retire as a Giant. But who is taking Eli? He's run the course with Giants fans and the organization he's won 2 Super Bowls for. Not exactly an encouraging sign there would be any interest for another team to pay him big money

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Say you had a trade partner, a team with a great D, some pieces on O, and just needing a QB. Somebody like Denver. How much you think you'd get for Eli? I'm betting not more than a 5th atm.

Reaction Score
Say you had a trade partner, a team with a great D, some pieces on O, and just needing a QB. Somebody like Denver. How much you think you'd get for Eli? I'm betting not more than a 5th atm.
Sounds about right, but the Giants are not trading Eli. End of story.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Sorry Hankster a huge no thanks on Bartlett. I mean when he's good he's fun to watch but he's not good enough in the college game to transition to the next level. I'm not even sure who the "next one" is even if they lose out the season, tough call and they all have their inconsistencies and weaknesses. The only reason the game has changed is because too many teams have crappy OLines, get a solid defense, same on the OLine and a pocket passer who can move just enough you have a better chance to win. Ask upstater LOL.

I do like Barkely though I agree there. Not sure you can waste that #1 on him though too many other needs.
I gess Mau what I am getting at, it is time we get a QB who sees good coverage down field and runs for the first down. I thought I saw one game he scampered for 88 yards. Actually that is why you have running backs. However quick thinking and off to the races. No complaints on a QB who stays in the pocket but, well with the OL we have a mobile QB MAY have been the difference in some games. I recall many games where the defense backs had good coverage where we were burnt by a mobile QB.

Reaction Score
I gess Mau what I am getting at, it is time we get a QB who sees good coverage down field and runs for the first down. I thought I saw one game he scampered for 88 yards. Actually that is why you have running backs. However quick thinking and off to the races. No complaints on a QB who stays in the pocket but, well with the OL we have a mobile QB MAY have been the difference in some games. I recall many games where the defense backs had good coverage where we were burnt by a mobile QB.
JT Barrett is not even considered a late round to not even a draft able prospect. Who cares if he ran for 88 yards against Rutgers.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
JT Barrett is not even considered a late round to not even a draft able prospect. Who cares if he ran for 88 yards against Rutgers.
He ran for 78 yards against Rutgers. He ran 17 carries for 95 yards against Penn State. If you think he should be drafted or not is your opinion. However when talking stats look at the whole picture.

Reaction Score
He ran for 78 yards against Rutgers. He ran 17 carries for 95 yards against Penn State. If you think he should be drafted or not is your opinion. However when talking stats look at the whole picture.
No that is the opinion of NFL draft scouts and analysts. JT Barrett will not be playing QB in the NFL.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Every time my uncle says "we" in reference to the Pats, I remind him that in the 80s and 90s, "we" meant the Niners. "I just liked Joe Montana a lot." Right!

I mean, there certainly always have been die-hard Pats fans, but football was never that important in Boston until Brady and Belichick arrived.

Jets fans are real football fans. They follow a terrible, terrible franchise but they're passionate about their consistently awful team. They're masochists, but you gotta tip your cap.

You are wrong about Boston and football
I'm a huge Giants fan but grew up in a Boston/New England Patriots family and frequented 100s of games going back to late 60's. Boston has always been crazy for the Pats even when playing at the old BU stadium. Plunkett et al were HUGE. Maybe you are too young to recall but to say pro football was not important to Boston is not true at all. Sure winning the 5 Super Bowls have increased popularity but that would happen in any market.
Speaking of loyalty - did you see the number of empty seats at Giants Stadium Sunday - especially in the second half?

Jets fans? Hell they know nothing better than what it is. 1969 is very ancient history

Reaction Score
"Long-suffering" Giants fans are funny.
Suffer a little more, like the rest of this season.. U won a Superbowl 6 years ago... take a backseat to the rest of the division for a sec....

Reaction Score
I'm a huge Giants fan but grew up in a Boston/New England Patriots family and frequented 100s of games going back to late 60's. Boston has always been crazy for the Pats even when playing at the old BU stadium. Plunkett et al were HUGE. Maybe you are too young to recall but to say pro football was not important to Boston is not true at all. Sure winning the 5 Super Bowls have increased popularity but that would happen in any market.
Speaking of loyalty - did you see the number of empty seats at Giants Stadium Sunday - especially in the second half?

Jets fans? Hell they know nothing better than what it is. 1969 is very ancient history
Attendance and TV figures disagree with you.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

That's your experience.

I am am younger (Jim Plunkett will always be a Raider to me) but I don't think that's particularly relevant unless your suggestion is that the Pats were popular in the 1960s, then less popular, then more popular again. My experience growing up in CT in the 1980s was that it was nearly impossible to find an enthusiastic Patriots fan. Now I look on FB and everyone's a Patties fan.

Also, my point was about relativity. Do you think the City of Boston as a whole was more excited when the Sox made the 1986 World Series or when Tony Eason led the Pats to SB XX? I'd say the former, to about 500000000 orders of magnitude. Compare that to Dallas, where folks care much more about the Cowboys than they do about the Rangers. Boston was not a football town until B&B arrived. I stand by that. Am I saying there weren't a lot of hardcore football fans? Of course not.

Come on, you're banging on Giants fans for leaving the stadium in crappy weather during a 40-point blowout loss to the Rams? That makes them disloyal? Get outta here.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom