OT: Giants | Page 6 | The Boneyard

OT: Giants

Reaction Score
That's your experience.

I am am younger (Jim Plunkett will always be a Raider to me) but I don't think that's particularly relevant unless your suggestion is that the Pats were popular in the 1960s, then less popular, then more popular again. My experience growing up in CT in the 1980s was that it was nearly impossible to find an enthusiastic Patriots fan. Now I look on FB and everyone's a Patties fan.

Also, my point was about relativity. Do you think the City of Boston as a whole was more excited when the Sox made the 1986 World Series or when Tony Eason led the Pats to SB XX? I'd say the former, to about 500000000 orders of magnitude. Compare that to Dallas, where folks care much more about the Cowboys than they do about the Rangers. Boston was not a football town until B&B arrived. I stand by that. Am I saying there weren't a lot of hardcore football fans? Of course not.

Come on, you're banging on Giants fans for leaving the stadium in crappy weather during a 40-point blowout loss to the Rams? That makes them disloyal? Get outta here.
Weird that the Pats somehow got mentioned in a Giants thread. Shocker. Wasn't even Mau this team either, actual shocker.

Reaction Score
Went to a Pats/Jets game at Schaefer Stadium moons ago with my dad and uncle in the rain (up to our shins lol) and there was no one there to speak of, maybe half the stadium full animist were in green shirts. Don't think they were in love with their team all that much, but it was a bad day.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
There is no greater revisionist history than the idea there were Patriots fans in CT prior to 1995 or so.

They weren’t even in the top 10 most popular teams in Central and Eastern Connecticut in the 80’s and early 90’s.

Reaction Score
Find it amusing that some of you think you know all there is to know about the patriots , who was what and when a then cherry pick something to fit your narrative. Lots of patriot fans were on the bandwagon way before the run with B+B. Eastern Ct. is and has been a strong patriot fan base. Hating on the patriots is the ultimate complement.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Find it amusing that some of you think you know all there is to know about the patriots , who was what and when a then cherry pick something to fit your narrative. Lots of patriot fans were on the bandwagon way before the run with B+B. Eastern Ct. is and has been a strong patriot fan base. Hating on the patriots is the ultimate complement.

Yeah other than living here my whole life
and there not being any Patriot fans from 1980-1995 it’s a crazy supposition.

Reaction Score
Might as well fire Mcadoo right now and make Spags the interim HC, only problem is if it were to happen the team might be rallying around Spags and start winning meaningless games and I dont want that.

Reaction Score
Please tell me they are starting Garaffolo
A loss here would be terrific and cement them easily in top 5 if not top 3. They have a run of tough games coming up soon
Top 5 pick and a new GM and we are back in business

Reaction Score
There is no greater revisionist history than the idea there were Patriots fans in CT prior to 1995 or so.

They weren’t even in the top 10 most popular teams in Central and Eastern Connecticut in the 80’s and early 90’s.
This is just flat out wrong. I've been a Pats fan my whole life, grew up in Central CT in the 70s. They were awful for almost two decades, with the highlight being at the time, the worst Super Bowl beating in history. I sat through several 1-15, 2-14 seasons and watched every game in the late 80s, early 90s. Sweeping generalizations are just false. It SUCKED being a Patriots fan then, don't try and act like we're all bandwagon fans now just because it fits YOUR narrative. You're just wrong....completely wrong. We were alive and (not so) well then, we just happen to be in a better situation today. And not naive enough to realize that once #12 goes away, it will probably go back to how it was, just like it has for the 49ers.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is just flat out wrong. I've been a Pats fan my whole life, grew up in Central CT in the 70s. They were awful for almost two decades, with the highlight being at the time, the worst Super Bowl beating in history. I sat through several 1-15, 2-14 seasons and watched every game in the late 80s, early 90s. Sweeping generalizations are just false. It SUCKED being a Patriots fan then, don't try and act like we're all bandwagon fans now just because it fits YOUR narrative. You're just wrong....completely wrong. We were alive and (not so) well then, we just happen to be in a better situation today. And not naive enough to realize that once #12 goes away, it will probably go back to how it was, just like it has for the 49ers.

Like I said it’s a popular revisionist history.

Sure you aren’t all bandwagon fans. Only 90% or so.

Reaction Score
Like I said it’s a popular revisionist history.

Sure you aren’t all bandwagon fans. Only 90% or so.
It's YOUR theory bro......and it's WRONG. I had many friends growing up in and around Hartford that were Patriot fans. It was probably 50% Giants, 35% Patriots, 15% Jets. But keep spewing your falsities if it makes you feel better.

Reaction Score
Might as well fire Mcadoo right now and make Spags the interim HC, only problem is if it were to happen the team might be rallying around Spags and start winning meaningless games and I dont want that.

Doubt it the defense isn't rallying around him as we speak so why would the team? Clean house to GM, get a good pick and lets contend next year.

Reaction Score
It's YOUR theory bro.and it's WRONG. I had many friends growing up in and around Hartford that were Patriot fans. It was probably 50% Giants, 35% Patriots, 15% Jets. But keep spewing your falsities if it makes you feel better.

I grew up in Meriden CT half way point Boston/NYC. They did news shows in our town on this topic, obviously mostly Red Sox/Yanks and it was probably an even split for the most part. They didn't bother doing a football show because they wouldn't have found a Patriot fan in the late 70's/80's there, no one was. Now it could've changed in the 90's that I don't know so if you guys are younger and it started to change then I get your point.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
It's YOUR theory bro.and it's WRONG. I had many friends growing up in and around Hartford that were Patriot fans. It was probably 50% Giants, 35% Patriots, 15% Jets. But keep spewing your falsities if it makes you feel better.

It’s not a theory but whatever. There were Cowboys fans, Raiders fans, Dolphins fans, Steelers fans. Patriots fans didn’t exist - but I guess you can tell me what happened in my life. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Grew up in CT, never knew a Pats fan as a kid. My brother was a redskins fan, he jumped on the Pats bandwagon and his wife was a Raiders fan who also jumped aboard.

Growing up I would say it was Giants #1, then a mix of cowboys, niners and Jets. This was mid 80's to mid 90's.

Reaction Score
Grew up in CT, never knew a Pats fan as a kid. My brother was a redskins fan, he jumped on the Pats bandwagon and his wife was a Raiders fan who also jumped aboard.

Growing up I would say it was Giants #1, then a mix of cowboys, niners and Jets. This was mid 80's to mid 90's.
Wrong, I guess we are from a different state. Saying no patriot fans before the B+B run is ludicrous. Keep trying guys.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Meriden CT half way point Boston/NYC. They did news shows in our town on this topic, obviously mostly Red Sox/Yanks and it was probably an even split for the most part. They didn't bother doing a football show because they wouldn't have found a Patriot fan in the late 70's/80's there, no one was. Now it could've changed in the 90's that I don't know so if you guys are younger and it started to change then I get your point.
I grew up in Cromwell. I'm 50. Just as many of my friends were Patriots fans as were Giants fans. They televised Pats games in Hartford as "home" games, just as they did Giants games. The Courant reported on Pats games the same way they did Giants games. Just because the Patriots sucked then doesn't mean there weren't fans. I don't know what the hell the rest of you are talking about, but I'm sure if I had the time, I could go back and get all the articles that prove my point.

Reaction Score
Wrong, I guess we are from a different state. Saying no patriot fans before the B+B run is ludicrous. Keep trying guys.

Okay guy, gave you my experience. There were no Pats fans where I lived, sorry but true.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I grew up in central CT during the Horace Clarke era. I only knew of one Yankee fan (a buddy's older brother) before 1976.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Cromwell. I'm 50. Just as many of my friends were Patriots fans as were Giants fans. They televised Pats games in Hartford as "home" games, just as they did Giants games. The Courant reported on Pats games the same way they did Giants games. Just because the Patriots sucked then doesn't mean there weren't fans. I don't know what the hell the rest of you are talking about, but I'm sure if I had the time, I could go back and get all the articles that prove my point.

You may need to I grew up with Middletown and Cromwell kids in sports and I don't remember one even close. More Steelers and Cowboys than Pats. Maybe now, not in the 70's 80's though we are a few years apart.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Why are so many people surprised that there's more Pats fans now? The biggest sports nuts are often kids. For anyone born after, I don't know, 1985 (10 yrs old in 95), the Pats have almost always been good. So a 10 year old gets on board with Parcells, etc. That kid is now 32 years old...he's been a Pats fan for 20+ years! Most don't even know the old Pat Patriot unis. Kids root for winners and for who their friends root for (if their parents don't influence them), and it snowballs from there.

And often times, parents become fans along with kids, because of their excitement. Ask someone who's 25-30 years old if their were Pats fans around as kids.

This is perfectly normal. We are talking about 22 years of success. Not to mention the Pats being OK before that, going to the Superbowl in 1985. The problem is, most of you are getting over the hill.

Reaction Score
Why are so many people surprised that there's more Pats fans now? The biggest sports nuts are often kids. For anyone born after, I don't know, 1985 (10 yrs old in 95), the Pats have almost always been good. So a 10 year old gets on board with Parcells, etc. That kid is now 32 years old...he's been a Pats fan for 20+ years! Most don't even know the old Pat Patriot unis.

And often times, parents become fans along with kids, because of their excitement. Ask someone who's 25-30 years old if their were Pats fans around as kids.

This is perfectly normal. We are talking about 22 years of success. Not to mention the Pats being OK before that, going to the Superbowl in 1985. The problem is, most of you are getting over the hill.

No one is surprised there are so many now. Kids are born in New England and have to be fans what a great time to begin your fandom in the area, winners galore.

Having said that do you think the kids tend to lean more towards dad or mom even than the parents moving to the kids preference? My son is born in WesMass and he's a Yanks, Giants fan despite moms efforts LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom