OT - Giants | Page 3 | The Boneyard

OT - Giants

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Why is that Waq, it wasn't recent enough for you Waq? LOL or I can just say 2-0?
All the championships my teams have won since has a way of healing old wounds. You can say 2-0 all you want if you want to sound like a "get off my lawn" guy.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Loved this game, even though I like the Giants better than the Cowboys. Why? Because of the hazmat level of snark by Giants fans after the Patriots lost. Might want to dial that back a bit.

Reaction Score
All the championships my teams have won since has a way of healing old wounds. You can say 2-0 all you want if you want to sound like a "get off my lawn" guy.

Wow what a joke of a statement that is. Last year is history according to you - or is it just the one's you won. What a crock o' this is LOL

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Forget Eli.

No quarterback will succeed behind that line. If Eli tries to go downfield, he'll be killed.

They were terrible last year and the Giants effectively did nothing to improve it.

It's like if a college basketball team was terrible at rebounding, lost all of its big men, and replaced them with a JUCO, an Ivy Leaguer, and a couple of skinny freshmen.

Reaction Score
It's like if a college basketball team was terrible at rebounding, lost all of its big men, and replaced them with a JUCO, an Ivy Leaguer, and a couple of skinny freshmen.

Geez if it's going to look as bad as last night in Storrs too I'm not going to have a good fall/winter rooting for my teams. Yankee better get to October at least then :eek:

Reaction Score
Forget Eli.

No quarterback will succeed behind that line. If Eli tries to go downfield, he'll be killed.

They were terrible last year and the Giants effectively did nothing to improve it.

It's a combination that's killer. An awful line with the least mobile qb in NFL. Giants with this line need a qb with that can scrabmle to give the wr's time to get open downfield. I know it sounds crazy but Geno would currently be more affective than Eli.

Another season of Eli just throwing away or three yard pass as he's scared to get hit in pocket will make me nuts. This offense has to try something different. Don't want to hear it was OBJ being out, they were the 25th offense with him last year.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Eli isn't without blame and as a guy getting paid to be a top flight QB he should be expected to lead his team and make plays even in the face of adversity.

With that said, even with an average offensive line, I think you could win in the playoffs even with 37 year old Eli.

It just seems that the construction of the roster, with an aging, unathletic QB, you'd want a top flight offensive line, or if you had an athletic QB (Wilson, Dak, Rodgers) you could afford to let them move in the pocket.

As good as Dak is and will continue to be, I'd be curious to see how Eli would play behind the protection he receives. That isn't taking anything away from Dak either - just more so I'd like to confirm what Eli has left in the tank.

Eli is a competent starting QB. He really was never anything more than that, and he's slipped a little. Put the right team around him and he can win. He can't carry them anywhere. In any event, at 37, they should be drafting a QB to play behind him and learn. These teams that throw rookies in as starters often do the player and themselves a disservice. Dak survived it, but many don't.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Giants need a competent offensive line. Every football team needs a competent offensive line.

Without one, it doesn't matter if your quarterback is mobile, that you have good receivers or good backs. Replace Eli with whoever else you'd like, same awful result.

No offensive line, no offense.

Football 101.

Reaction Score
It's a combination that's killer. An awful line with the least mobile qb in NFL. Giants with this line need a qb with that can scrabmle to give the wr's time to get open downfield. I know it sounds crazy but Geno would currently be more affective than Eli.

Another season of Eli just throwing away or three yard pass as he's scared to get hit in pocket will make me nuts. This offense has to try something different. Don't want to hear it was OBJ being out, they were the 25th offense with him last year.

Yeah it can't be because OBJ was out, that's pitiful. But the only receiver he looked comfortable throwing too was Sheppard, I think proof of how important it is to be on the same page. No excuse for a couple of the throws they were awful but some of the routes were taking too long - they showed that Marshall and Ingram play with both routes and neither was looking back to the ball and Eli was already in huge trouble. So many things to blame with coaches being front and center, that was not a prepared team last night.

I will have to disagree on Gino vs Eli - take my chances on the line just playing better and Eli having enough time to get the ball out. I mean I saw Gino, he's a back up. Not saying I wouldn't give him a shot eventually but for now we have the right guy but lots of things need to get better. Even the defense could have been more aggressive last night, played off the ball way too much. But they really didn't give up much in reality 15 points - 5 FG's. Have to win with those numbers, even 19 with the gift.

Reaction Score
Yeah it can't be because OBJ was out, that's pitiful. But the only receiver he looked comfortable throwing too was Sheppard, I think proof of how important it is to be on the same page. No excuse for a couple of the throws they were awful but some of the routes were taking too long - they showed that Marshall and Ingram play with both routes and neither was looking back to the ball and Eli was already in huge trouble. So many things to blame with coaches being front and center, that was not a prepared team last night.

I will have to disagree on Gino vs Eli - take my chances on the line just playing better and Eli having enough time to get the ball out. I mean I saw Gino, he's a back up. Not saying I wouldn't give him a shot eventually but for now we have the right guy but lots of things need to get better. Even the defense could have been more aggressive last night, played off the ball way too much. But they really didn't give up much in reality 15 points - 5 FG's. Have to win with those numbers, even 19 with the gift.

I agree Geno is a back qb, wasn't trying to make him out to be the future. But current state of the line (with a good sample size) I don't see how a pure pocket passer like Eli can succeed.

Pulling for Eli, that was a rough start last night. Was really hoping to see the offense take a step forward last night, instead went backwackwards.

On the bright side it's week 1 and the Giants D will be really good.

Reaction Score
I agree Geno is a back qb, wasn't trying to make him out to be the future. But current state of the line (with a good sample size) I don't see how a pure pocket passer like Eli can succeed.

Pulling for Eli, that was a rough start last night. Was really hoping to see the offense take a step forward last night, instead went backwackwards.

On the bright side it's week 1 and the Giants D will be really good.

If the Giants D stays healthy it could be special. Need to sniff the QB more but will be very good.

On a side note as much as I hate them 'Boys I was happy to see Jalen Smith show his skills and his speed is back. Good for the kid long recovery and it looks like they made a good draft a couple years ago in waiting for him to heal.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
If the Giants D stays healthy it could be special. Need to sniff the QB more but will be very good.

On a side note as much as I hate them 'Boys I was happy to see Jalen Smith show his skills and his speed is back. Good for the kid long recovery and it looks like they made a good draft a couple years ago in waiting for him to heal.

Been watching Jaylon's recovery closely and if you had told me last year that he would look this good this soon, I'd have called you crazy. He's basically an average to above-average middle linebacker right now, and that's with the nerve in his foot not 100% yet. He still has trouble at times changing direction on a dime when he has to push off of the injured leg, but we can live with that while the nerve continues to heal. Hopefully by this time next year the nerve is 100%. The kid is super easy to root for, he's about as great a person as you could ask to play for your team.

Reaction Score
Been watching Jaylon's recovery closely and if you had told me last year that he would look this good this soon, I'd have called you crazy. He's basically an average to above-average middle linebacker right now, and that's with the nerve in his foot not 100% yet. He still has trouble at times changing direction on a dime when he has to push off of the injured leg, but we can live with that while the nerve continues to heal. Hopefully by this time next year the nerve is 100%. The kid is super easy to root for, he's about as great a person as you could ask to play for your team.

watched him at ND what a talent and as you said a great kid. Easy to root for? Not in that uni but the kid and the story is. ;)

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
When you ignore the offensive line for the past two seasons, this is what happens.
Wait, seriously, they didn't address that?
Even I knew that was necessary, and I don't start watching football for another 3 months.
I'm getting excited about baseball starting in 3 weeks.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Might not want to go down this road. You had a serial killer on your team, just sayin'.

To be fair, he was cut without reservation immediately on hearing the initial word. It's not like anyone in the NFL knew their was a murderer running around. Except Ray Lewis.

I mean, if we're going to play that game, we should bring up signing and holding on to wife-abusing kickers...

intlzncster

Reaction Score

You know, I come to an NFL thread to forget about MCBB for a second. Thanks nomar.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Eli is a competent starting QB. He really was never anything more than that, and he's slipped a little. Put the right team around him and he can win. He can't carry them anywhere. In any event, at 37, they should be drafting a QB to play behind him and learn. These teams that throw rookies in as starters often do the player and themselves a disservice. Dak survived it, but many don't.

And Dak survived because of a GOD-like OL, a top end running back, and an elite receiver + some other really good ones.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Eli hater, nothings changed he can win and win it all with a good OLine he's the same guy. The interception was an awful decision but please look at the time left in the game - had a guy on the flat but wanted to get the ball downfield they needed 2 TD's. Bad choice? Hell yeah but they were not in position to run 6 minutes off the clock. Lee was sitting on their crossing routes like taking candy from a baby that's how creative McAdoo is nothing was open. He did throw behind a couple guys no doubt but he did that when he won titles this is not a reflection on Eli as much as it is on the OLine period and that line is an embarrassment to Reese and McAdoo who could both be gone by mid year based on the performance. Cowboys defense is ok at best wait until they see a pass rush that is good...scary?

Giants D was solid despite the yardage, bend but don't break. The Cowboys never see the end zone without one of the worst interference calls in the history of the NFL. Spags was relatively conservative also seemed to be afraid of the woman beater too much, needed to blitz Dak more but all in all they look to be very good.
Agree. The Giants D was great considering they were tanked. 47 plays in the first half? The Oline is hideous. Jr. would not have made a difference in my opinion.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
McAdoo's offensive play calling was a bore, only a few wrinkles.
Sure it was. Same plan different year. Opponents don't have much preparing to do.

Hankster

What do I know.
Reaction Score
Come on. Really? Dude's a stud in my book. Unless you consider elite only OBJ, A Brown, Green, and Julio Jones.
I agree. Dez is a killer. Beasley is "a pain in the arse "good. He is steady every year. He is the one who can put the dagger to a good defense.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Eli was nothing ever more than a competent QB? Please.

Top 10 All Time in TDs and Passing Yards and a 2 Time SB MVP, which included two last minute TD drives. But you knew that.

He's been a top 10 QB the vast majority of his career and there's no need to belittle those accomplishments.

He's never been a top 3 or 5 QB but merely competent? Come on.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
watched him at ND what a talent and as you said a great kid. Easy to root for? Not in that uni but the kid and the story is. ;)

I guess in your case, he's hard to root against. :D

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom