OT - Giants | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT - Giants

Reaction Score
Eli's throws were off all night but you might not be on target either when your O-line is a sieve. How Reese thought it was cool to not address that part of the roster in the offseason is mind boggling. Did he think if he stacks up enough threats downfield it will mitigate the need for any protection? It doesn't work that way when you don't give your QB more than 3/4 of a second to throw the ball.

Hopefully see what this team is once that group (if it's possible) gets some time to get better and we get OBJ back.
I guess the question is should they have drafted the tight end, and was anyone available for the offensive line?

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Also somewhat unrelated, but they need to pay Odell already. Don't even leave the slightest chance.

Yup. They key to that entire offense. Normally, you'd prefer that be the QB, but whatever, it is what it is. Play to what your strength is. Amazing how much more competent Eli, the Oline and the coaching appears when he's in there*. Managing OBJ isn't really an option for the Giants.

*No, I'm not saying the OL is fine mind you.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to the game last night and the giants looked lethargic and still in preseason mode, and the cowboys looked a lot more determined and wanted it more andare more serious about a Super Bowl then the Giants are. Reese and Macadoo are Vags.

Reaction Score
It's one game but the offense was nonexistent and the OL still stinks. Same problem as last year.

The entire offensive side of the ball including the HC are to blame.

Can't ask your D to stay on the field all night.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I went to the game last night and the giants looked lethargic and still in preseason mode, and the cowboys looked a lot more determined and wanted it more andare more serious about a Super Bowl then the Giants are. Reese and Macadoo are Vags.

Same thought I had about the Pats/Chiefs on Thursday. Long season.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's the Cowboys at their place, no OBJ, and Dallas is pumped they have their star running back in there -plus a revenge factor for last year.
Yeah they looked like crap but they are the Giants!!!
I'm remaining calm for another week or two

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The Giants were a below average offense last year even with Odell in the lineup, so it wasn't surprising in the least that they looked terrible without him. Last night's game just showed how good Beckham is and how valuable he is to the Giants. I don't think they're gonna average 30 points a game with Odell, but their defense is good enough to win games scoring around 20.

As a Cowboys fan, I was very happy to see how good the defense looked. There were times Eli had time to throw downfield, but couldn't find anyone open. Obviously it's hard to know whether or not he was missing open receivers or everyone was covered without looking at the All-22, but it was encouraging to see almost all of the passes were 10-15 yards and in.

Reaction Score
Not a Giants fan, but I know there are a lot of them on this board. At what point do they seriously consider moving on from Eli Manning? This was just an embarrassing performance tonight, Odell or not.
If that was your take away from the game then you should re-watch it and try again.

Reaction Score
God, a bandwagoner cheering on criminals, what a life you must live.
I feel like regardless of when you started rooting for a team, if you've stuck with them for over 20 largely unsuccessful years, you're not a bandwagoner. But that's just me.

PS. Your leading receiver last night was arrested a mere 3 months ago ;)

Reaction Score
It's one game but the offense was nonexistent and the OL still stinks. Same problem as last year.

The entire offensive side of the ball including the HC are to blame.

Can't ask your D to stay on the field all night.
Coaching was horrendous last night. Playing calling change is needed.

If you give up 19 points the Giants should win every time, granted if Dakota was decent he would have connected on two more TDs and it would have been 26 points instead of 19. Giving up 5.5 yards a play is not bad (Pats gave up 8.3 Thursday), but the offense and coaching cost them this game.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
I feel like regardless of when you started rooting for a team, if you've stuck with them for over 20 largely unsuccessful years, you're not a bandwagoner. But that's just me.

Don't disagree with any of that, but Jerry Jones. ;)

Reaction Score
It's one game, not going to get too worried yet. Oline was bad, Eli was bad, giving a pass to the defense because they were on the field the whole 1st half. Let's see next week.

The D only gave up 19, while being on the field for 35+/- minutes. Nothing to be overly concerned about, though I wish we saw more pressure. The biggest concern is the oline. The giants needed to invest on the oline and did not do so. I'm afraid it could be a tough year for Eli.

Reaction Score

That is just you. You are a bandwagoner.

Charges were dropped against Lewis. And you do not want to compare teams on this one........

Reaction Score
That is just you. You are a bandwagoner.

Charges were dropped against Lewis. And you do not want to compare teams on this one...
Do you get triggered this easily in every day life, or have I just hit a sensitive subject?

Good game last night though, G-men looked great :)

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I was shocked the Giants didn't do anything to upgrade the offensive line after last season. While Eli isn't without blame, having a QB with no mobility behind that line is a recipe for disaster. He seems really quick to dump the ball off to check downs, but by the same token, if he hangs in the pocket he's facing pressure in his face nearly every drop back.

They haven't scored more than 20 points since Week 12 last year against the Browns and they haven't scored 30 points since the last game of 2015 - so it's not like this is a new issue.

I thought it was wreckless to spend a 1st round pick on Engram, who could end up being good, was more of a luxury at this point given the glaring deficiencies on the line.

With Eli's window rapidly closing (or perhaps already is closed), a top 5 defense that they spent a ton of money on, a top 3 playmaker in the league in Beckham, I thought they absolutely needed to make a move to shore up the offensive line.

And what did we get? DJ Fluker.

Reese was able to sign Jenkins, Olivier and Harrison, in addition to drafting some studs, but I think he may have torpedoed any chance of seriously competing this season.

Reaction Score
If you think this game is Eli's fault you don't know football well. The RT Hart is getting owned. You can't win if you can't run the ball and don't have more than a second or two to throw the ball.
Are you saying Eli is an accurate quarterback and deserves no blame?

Reaction Score

Might not want to go down this road. You had a serial killer on your team, just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Are you saying Eli is an accurate quarterback and deserves no blame?

He wasn't good last night no denying that. But he's fine, the line is much more obvious than anything else.

Reaction Score
Call me an Eli hater, whatever, I can call you an Eli defender at the same time. I am disappointed with his play, as I was all last season. Listen, I know the line is bad, really bad, you don't have to tell me twice, but that doesn't mean Eli is helpless or without blame for some of the plays he makes, or fails to make. Marshall was wide open twice for two first downs, 2 bad passes that go incomplete. He settles for dump downs far too much, and is becoming increasingly inaccurate on passes more than 10 yards down the field. 220 yards on 37 attempts is not something you want to see.

I get what you're saying but he also still makes great throws too, he's good enough to win with. Can't come off last night talking about Eli first that's all I'm saying (although he's part of it but just one game) the glaring weakness is the OLine and you need to protect him to see what he still has, until then totally unfair. For now after watching some football yesterday this is by far the weakest offensive line anyone put on the field, embarrassingly bad and Reese should be the one people are pointing at, not even the line itself. To not know, as you said, you have at least 2 linemen who should only be back ups blocking for an older already immobile guy is pitiful.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Eli isn't without blame and as a guy getting paid to be a top flight QB he should be expected to lead his team and make plays even in the face of adversity.

With that said, even with an average offensive line, I think you could win in the playoffs even with 37 year old Eli.

It just seems that the construction of the roster, with an aging, unathletic QB, you'd want a top flight offensive line, or if you had an athletic QB (Wilson, Dak, Rodgers) you could afford to let them move in the pocket.

As good as Dak is and will continue to be, I'd be curious to see how Eli would play behind the protection he receives. That isn't taking anything away from Dak either - just more so I'd like to confirm what Eli has left in the tank.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom